Common drinks and strange acquaintances
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Age: 22 | Height: 176 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Nell Offline
Change author:
MP: 85
I R I S

The simple logic of the Fae's words drew a laugh out of Iris, mixing and melding with the clamor of the bar. "You're sweet, really. But there's no discussion to be had." Out of the corner of her eye, Iris noticed a dark-haired man of inconsiderable build walk into the Hanged Man, and proceeded to ignore him. "Did your parents come out of a storybook or do all Fae make decisions by simply talking about their feelings and agreeing?"

Iris met the Fae's gaze, looking into her eyes deeply as the world appeared somewhat more blurry than it was five drinks ago. "And? What did you reconnaisse?" She'd stopped sending covetous glances at the black dagger for the time being, but did direct a longing glance at the bar, signaling that her cup was empty.

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Age: 59 | Height: 4' 10'' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Alina just shrugged at the compliment. Toying with the mug, she frowned at the other woman's assertion that there was nothing to talk about. "You sure about that?" The Fae narrowed her eyes.

"My parents are dead." Lifting the cup, she took another sip from it. Eying the dark liquid, she sighed.

Snorting, she set the mug down and slid it across the table to Iris. The huntress jerked her chin at it, indicating the other woman should take it. "I didn't get far before I was attacked." Sliding her fingers together, she leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table, wings fluttering a bit behind her as she did.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Age: 22 | Height: 176 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
I R I S

Iris considered the Fae for a moment. Then, her forefinger beckoned her closer as she bent over the table, voice shifting to a low whisper. "The last time I questioned my father's decision he hit me so hard I spun around full circle." She leaned back, expression as jovial as it was a minute ago, with the slightest hint of stubborn bitterness that would fade as thoughts were diverted. Once again, she noticed a familiar scrawny silhouette taking a seat at the table beside hers, but gave no indication of having noticed him.

Iris considered pointing out how lucky the Fae was, but concluded she was unlikely to share in the sentiment. "May Mort grant them passage to bountiful shores." Iris raised her mug to toast the dead, but found it light of its contents. "Oh, shit."

She caught the mug that reached her from across the table and raised it in silent cheers before taking a sip. "Maybe I can be of assistance once again, then." She stated with a cheeky grin. "What would you like to know?"

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Age: 59 | Height: 4' 10'' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Narrowing her eyes at the other woman's words, Alina leaned forward and dropped her voice to a whisper as well. "So next time hit him back. Or just leave without telling him." Shrugging, she slumped back into her chair, crossing her arms.

Incling her head at the blessing to Mort, the huntress' lips twitched when Iris realized she'd run out of alcohol. Thankfully, the Fae had already rectified the situation. Eyes flicking up and down the other woman, Alina snorted. "I doubt it. Unless you can tell me what the sentiments towards Ascended and the Voice are in Torchline." She met Iris' gaze directly, not looking away or even blinking much.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

Iris could have told her she'd seen her father destroy lives for lesser transgressions, but that was likely to cause a series of unnecessary questions about the egotistical megalomaniac. On the other hand, she'd suddenly grown some appreciation for the Fae's warlike charms.

She gave a feint smile at her suggestions. She was in the middle of implementing one of them - although punching the man would definitely grant more short-term satisfaction. "I'd have a difficult time of it given that I could barely land a scratch on you. We'd have to schedule a couple more sparring sessions first."

Iris folded her arms under her chin. "Torchline doesn't care what gods you worship. If you have the strength and ability to carve out your place here, you'll do fine. Until someone else carves you out."

Gathering information was one of Iris' most lucrative hobbies, but she stood embarrassingly under-informed about the events surrounding the change in leadership. All her attention had been focused on her upcoming exodus. "As for the current government, so far it's been rather accepting of Ascended. The governor's husband being one."

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Grimacing, Alina rubbed at the cut Iris had given the huntress across her chest. "You did more than scratch me." She shook her head.

"Then you should train until you're skilled enough to take him on. Or enlist others to help you fight against him." Shrugging, she pressed her lips together.

Stilling as the other woman explained Torchline's culture and the leanings of its new Governor, the Fae grunted at the end of it. Staying silent, she drummed her fingers against the wood of the table. "So both the people and the leaders of the region are at least neutral towards the Ascended and the Voice?" Frowning, her jaw feathered with tension.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

"Flatterer." She dismissed the claim, waving it off before taking her first good glance at the Fae's injury. Her lips bent into a scowl. It appeared that she had underestimated herself. "You should probably dress that. Drink something strong, then pour some on the cut. Injuries tend to get infected in this weather."

"You're quite a militant bug, aren't you?" Iris grinned at the Fae, intent on derailing any conversation of rebellion. She wouldn't risk someone catching on to the topic of their discussion and relaying it to the wrong person. A solution may appear clear-cut to the Fae, but then again, it seemed that most things did.

"I'm saying it's unlikely for Torchline as a whole to take a stance on this." Too many different players with veiled interests pulled on its strings. "You could, however, find allies. If you knew where to look."

Iris' eyes milled around the room stopping on a spot in the far end, "Are you up for a little challenge?"

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Alina grunted at Iris' suggestion. However, she snorted at the other woman's next recommendation. "You do realize wounds treated with alcohol are usually more likely to become infected, right?" The huntress shook her head.

Iris' observation about the Fae's demeanor earned the other woman a shrug. "I'd prefer not to be, but life has made me what it's made me." Alina narrowed her eyes. "Does conflict bother you?"

Nodding, she took a deep breath. "Let me guess, you could introduce me to the right people for a price?" Following Iris's gaze, Alina cocked her head to one side. "Depends on the challenge." She looked back at the other woman, leaning forward a bit.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

Iris raised en eyebrow at her over the edge of her mug. "Maybe the swill you drink out in the woods," she claimed, tone light but broaching on offended as she took a swig of the Fae's drink. "Torchline liquor is medicine." A beat later her demeanor shifted to interst. "What do you use to clean wounds?"

The question on conflict had her offering a smile. She wouldn't have survived for this long if she'd shied away from it. "Conflict is the natural path to a resolution." She set the mug down, lining its edges with a finger. "That's why it's important to pick your battles, lest you get saddled with unfavorable outcomes." Did Iris' tongue stumble over the pretentious wording? Yes.

A smile tugged at her lips at the spark of interest she caught in the Fae. Her voice lowered as she leaned forward on her uninjured arm. "I'll point you in the right direction... if you win." She nodded towards the short end of the bar. Leaned against it was a decommissioned dartboard, its paint weathered from use. "Let's see how skilled you are with a dagger. You get three throws, as close to the center ring as you can manage. I'll do the same. If I win, you give me that pretty dagger." Iris' eyes flickered back to the obsidian blade.

Alina Estarr
Hunter

Change author:
Alina scowled at Iris' claim about the liquor in the Greatwood. Leaning forward, the Fae narrowed her eyes at the other woman. "This," the huntress stabbed a finger at the mug between them, "is hardly what I'd call medicinal. Or good." Flopping back, she crossed her arms. "Why should I tell you after you just insulted my land and my people?"

Nodding at Iris' assessment, Alina grinned. "Then when and how are you planning to confront your father? Or is that just a conflict you're planning to avoid indefinitely for fear of losing?" She raised an eyebrow at the other woman.

As Iris laid out the rules of the proposal, Alina snorted. "Three throws? Those are the only conditions?" She eyed the board, then tapped the hilt of her dagger. "I can't use this. It'll probably shatter on impact." Obsidian was sharp, but incredibly brittle.
make me a big tall tree
so I can shed my leaves
Alina
Base Code by Sky!
Iris 'Siri' Acquarone
Wanderer

Change author:
I R I S

"Your people are too easily offended." Iris scoffed as she leaned against her backrest. She glanced down her nose at the mug. "The hard stuff is served in small glasses, by the way." Her fingers went up to approximate the height of the glasses in question, showing no more than 7 centimeters. She'd been sipping these drinks for hours after all. They were sweet, cheap, and relatively mild. Just as she was about to take the Fae's estimation of her drinking capacity as a compliment, the butterfly proudly, and just a little too loudly, advised her to take action against her father.

It was Iris' mistake. She shouldn't have mentioned her father at all, not to a stranger, no matter how cathartic it might have seemed. The Hanged Man was full of ears, and it wouldn't be the first time that some comment she'd made would make its way back into her house by means of spies, busybodies and sycophants.

She had to react, although she'd hoped for the evening to go differently. Iris did her best to appear affronted. "For someone so easily offended, you don't shy away from handing out insults. We've had a nice go at stabbing each other earlier and I admit I also thought it brought us closer." She placed her hand on her heart in a placating gesture. "But you greatly overstep in thinking there's any confrontation to be had. Drop the matter."

Iris fixed the long, flowing sleeves of her shirt, there to cover up the equally long cut she'd received that morning, and sat up from the table. "Now, we should complete our little bet," she said abruptly, leaving little room for a reply on the matter of her family business. "Barkeep can mark up the points. We can pin the board on the wall and have a go at it from the far side of the bar."