[se] honey I'm home
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
ZEPH
you have a happy personality with a heavy soul
You don't see the kid dash away, but you do see Vai dart after it, trudging deeper into the black hole of your past. The boxes seem to leer at you, labels that you would rather not read gleaming in the darkness. Most of them are coated in a thick lair of dust that rises in plumes beneath Vai's feet, though a couple appear recently opened, which is... weird.

But definitely not a priority. More important is the child in your attic, who now giggle faintly as you push through cobwebs and grow as one catches on your beard. Your boots thud over the creaky floorboards, and your ears are starting to itch, and when you call out it's in a nasally voice because the dust has left you congested as all fuck.

"Alright kid, this shit ain't funny. It's time t'get outta-"

You pull up short behind Vai, your mouth clicking shut. The kid who sits atop a chest is staring at you with a bright smile that you swear to the gods you have seen before. Black hair frames a pale face, and electric blue eyes look between you and the witch. The girl is small, no older than six or seven.

And she's a perfect reflection of Vervain. You've never seen your lover's daughter, but if you were to imagine Ashetta you would imagine this.
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
look at everything you've overcome - don't give up now
Vai has frozen, which means that it's just as likely that Zeph will bump into her as anything else, and she's staring, wide eyed at the child who peers up at them. She knows the smile, the eyes, the framing of the face, but she's never seen them, truly, at that age. She's seen the beginnings of them, and she's seen the result in a grown and scarred young woman, but this? This belongs in dreams and half imagined memories. When she speaks her voice is thick, throat tight, and her eyes have blurred with unexpected tears.

"This isn't real, Zeph," she says softly, clearing her throat and trying very hard not to look at the girl, because if she starts then gods she won't be able to stop. An arm moves about her waist, as if Vai can hold onto herself, and she shakes her head sadly. "I don't know what kind of trick it is, but that's not a real child." Her free hand comes up to shade her eyes from the sight of it, to wish the spectre away before it can get a grip on her.
Vervain
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ZEPH
You do bump into her, your chest colliding with her back before you stumble backwards a step, quickly catching your balance again. From your position behind her you can't see the changes in Vai's face, but you can feel the way she tenses, her body growing stiff, and though you definitely think the resemblance between them is uncanny you're not quite sure it justifies this strong of a response.

You're about to say that but she speaks up first, her voice uncharacteristically full of tears. Which honestly alarms you more than any children running around your attic, because it's a side of her you've never, ever seen. "Vai?" Gently you put a hand on her shoulder, trying to turn her toward you, away from the kid. "What're you- whaddya mean? 'Course she's real, she's sittin' right there-"

But when you look up from your lover's eyes the kid is, of course, gone. You blink a moment, your mouth dry and dusty, trying to figure out where the fuck she went and what the fuck is happening. Probably some god shit. It's always god shit.

But how dare and god fuck with your girlfriend.

"Vai? Who, uh... who was that kid?"
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
The strong hand on her shoulder is nearly shrugged off, and it's only a mental reminder that this is Zeph, and that Zeph is safe that has her turning around. More than turning, in fact; Vai practically melts against him, pressing her face against the side of his neck as if to hide herself from the ghost of what will never be. Her arms curl around him, the witch letting out a shaky sort of sigh that hides the tears that are already falling.

"It was my daughter," she mumbles, aware suddenly that she's making his shirt damp, Vai sniffing and wiping at her eyes. "I lost Ashe when she was barely walking. Didn't find her again until she was a woman grown, so... that kid there, that's just... what I dreamed about. What I've never had." She shrugs sadly.
Vervain
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPH
Your arms wrap around her instinctively, protectively, holding the woman who is always so strong against your body as she finally begins to break. And gods if you don't wish you could scoop away the pain, and gods if you don't know all too well you can't. All you can do is hold her and be here, somewhere safe to let it out. Gently you rest your hand on the back of her neck, the other arm curled protectively around her waist.

You're still glaring at the place where the not-child sat a moment before when Vai begins to pull away. You don't really trust yourself to say much, instead opting to show your empathy through the way you hold her, rubbing the small of her back. With a shocking tenderness you move your hand to brush a tearstain off her cheek, leaning forward and pressing a kiss onto her forehead, your expression still stormy.

Fuckin' god shit.

"She's a beautiful girl. Like her ma," you rumble against her forehead. "The world's robbed ya of too much joy, taku kairangi. I wish I could give it back."
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Fucking god shit.

Having found a soft place to land, Vai gives herself a few moments to knit together her frayed nerves, leaning into the hand that comes to wipe away her tears. With a wobbly smile, she nods to Zeph. "I wish you could have met her," she murmurs. "I think she'd have liked you a lot. You're the right sort of crooked."

Heaving a sigh deep enough to have her shoulders slumping, the witch rakes a hand through her curls and glances around the place. "Well, on the plus side, there's no kids running around in your attic," she says, kissing the inside of his wrist where it lingers on her cheek.

"Bit cluttered up here though, isn't it? When was the last time you had a tidy up?"
Vervain
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPH
"'Course she woulda. Everyone loves me." Smiling crookedly down at Vai, you reach your fingers beneath her chin and kiss her on the nose. The smile falters a little, your coffee gaze growing soft. "I'm sure I'll get to someday." From what Vai's told you her daughter is missing, but not dead. And you're more than happy to keep that hope alive for her, just as long as she needs.

She sighs, and you echo to a lesser extent, your embrace tightening. Releasing her face, you reach up to rub awkwardly at your neck, following her gaze to the boxes that are scattered haphazardly through the attic. "Can't remember," you concede, wincing as a spider scuttles over a nearby box. "Threw all'a Ray an' El's stuff up here, after she-" threw herself off a fucking cliff. The lump in your throat is definitely from the dust and nothing else; you stifle a cough and swallow it down, disentangling yourself from Vervain and taking her hand in yours.

"I could use that drink. How 'bout you?"
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vai's eyes slip shut to enjoy the soft caresses, the comfort offered so freely by a man comparatively so rough around the edges. "I'm sure you will," she agrees, more than happy to let him hold her hope afloat, even if it's just for this evening. Eyes flickering open again, she almost visibly winces to hear what the boxes are - and on closer inspection, she can see that the boxes have labels on them, but by then she's taking Zeph's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Tidying up here is a job for another day," she says warmly, slipping under his arm for a moment to lean against him, an arm slipping around him in an embrace. "I could use about ten drinks," she confesses, stepping forward to start leading them down from the attic. "And that shower," she adds.
Vervain
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPH
Your arms are always ready for her, dead tired and shaking from weird supernatural bullshit though you may be. "Drinks'n shower it is," you agree in a low rumble against her wild hair, pressing a kiss to the side of her head as you eye the corner where the ghost had appeared. The less time spent up here the better has been your motto for far too long, and it's not something you want to give up quite yet.

Though the attic is home to a little more than ghosts. "Gimme a sec," you instruct softly, squeezing Vai's hand before stepping away into yet another corner of the dusky dark. This one is far less cluttered and also far less dusty, evidence that the space isn't quite as abandoned as it initially appears. You pry open a wooden crate with a groan from effort and rummage around within, muttering incoherently to yourself before straightening up with a triumphant "A-ha!"

Clenched in your hand is a bottle of amber liquid, unopened and unmarked. You hold it up like a beacon, or a treasure, flashing Vai a grin. "Aite. I'm ready. Let's turn this night around."
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vai is just about at the mouth of the attic, ready to clamber back down when Zeph instructs for her to wait. Smiling softly, she nods and watches as he climbs around the boxes and other haphazard belongings stacked here and there, emerging victorious with (naturally) alcohol. Or what she assumes is alcohol. "That looks suspect," she says, flashing him a grin. "And strong. What are we treating ourselves with?"

She's already climbing back out of the attic as she speaks, waiting for him to join her before helping to push the ladder back up where it belongs. Firmly thinking of tanned skin that tastes like salt and sweetness, and warm hands and dark eyes, it's easy to banish thoughts of ghosts, and Vai continues back downstairs. "Are we drinking in the shower? Because I'm game."
Vervain
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPH
"Whiskey. Weddin' gift." You're following her back down the ladder, your prize held loosely in one hand, the other navigating the way down. "Strong enough t'chew, and smooth enough t'sail." Good shit, in short, which is something you both need.

You help her push the steps back up, happy to seal away the past for a little longer. As the trapdoor closes behind you, you could swear you catch a glimpse of familiar, almond-shaped eyes peering down, bright and cruel as a punch to the gut. Stupid ghost shit. Stupid god shit. All you want to do with history is drink enough to forget it.

Speaking of. You follow Vai down the stairs, chuckling as you reach the bottom and reaching out to snag her hand. "Why wait?" you wonder in a grinned growl, pulling the witch in close against you and pressing a hard, hot kiss to her lips. Behind her back your hands work to open the bottle of booze, the earthy scent immediately rising unmistakably into the room.
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"Did I ever tell you that you've got a way with words?" Vai asks, grinning over her shoulder, though she's not really sure what the protocol is on drinking a dead woman's wedding whiskey. Then again... she's dead, and it sounds like good whiskey. And thus is Vai's decision made. Her response is stifled by the kiss that crashes against her lips, Vai moaning some sort of agreement nonetheless.

While Zeph's hands busy themselves opening the bottle, Vai's start working on the buttons of his shirt, her tongue writing poetry against his own. "So are you planning to leave for a week regularly? Or was this just to see how much I'd miss you while you were gone?" She draws back enough to grin up at him, pushing the shirt over his shoulders.
Vervain
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPH
You make no move to stop her from undressing you, attention still neatly divided between the seal on the bottle and the skillful way her tongue wraps over yours, drawing out moans you didn't know you'd needed to let out. You're gasping again when she pulls away, grinning beneath hooded eyes and letting the shirt fall off your shoulders. "If this is th'kinda welcome I get, maybe I oughta," you tease back huskily, passing her the now-open bottle so you can finish removing your shirt. Except for the ghost shit, you think with a slight grimace. You could do without that.

Otherwise? A pretty perfect return home.

It's your turn to begin teasing off her clothing, turning her around so you can untie her dress and press it off her shoulders, your lips following your hands down her smooth skin. The garment falls as you kiss her neck, and you take the bottle back so she can finish undressing. Looking back over your shoulder, you glower playfully at the attic. "A'ite, ghosties- Ma an' me're gonna do some adult activities. You behave, huh?"
sometimes, it gets weird
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
She accepts the bottle to let him take off his shirt, obediently turning even if it means losing the heated press of his skin - and that's something she's missed more fiercely than she might have anticipated, too. Luckily enough, as soon as he relieves her of her dress, he's there again, Vai sighing out a moan of anticipation that should tell him just how much he's been missed. "Or," she suggests, handing the bottle back, "I could just show you this kind of welcome every time you come home, and then you'll never want to leave."

Shimmying out of the rest of her clothes, Vai leans in for another hungry kiss, her fingers threading their way down his chest and curling around his back to tug him towards the shower outside. Grinning at the warning thrown to the ghosties, she can only agree. "I've never grounded a ghost before, but so help me, I'll do it," she warns as well.
Vervain