[SE] bonfire cries and fireflies
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
Eating fire is your ambition
to swallow the flame down
Discourse prompted and billowed around the section, and she listened, unbothered. Aurelia’s insight was understandable, and then Saiden’s too, especially after being awarded with the opportunity in the previous year. Though Melita would never see her portion of family again, save for Sunjata when someone eventually grew tired of him and tossed him into Mort’s realm, the mere happenstance and probability that she, or anyone else, could fueled her. Maybe it was simple and silly, maybe it drew out far too many other notions, but she wouldn’t cease with the lanterns. She wouldn’t stop trying.

She said no more, really, eyeing the shells and rocks adorned on the lantern, considering them again before frowning – not entirely Eloise’s aesthetic. More shine and shimmer to them then?

Fangorn, for his efforts, grumbled towards the sear cat again, draping his vines along the ground, and then maneuvering them, as if meant to entice it closer - to play and to be generally obnoxious.
to be lit up from within, vein by vein
to be the sun
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
just take your time wherever you go
At Milo's words, Saiden shrugged. "Better safe than sorry." Nodding at Aurelia's apology, the cook flashed a smile at her. "Accepted," he rumbled. With that he began making his second lantern. This one was simpler, a five pointed star.

At least, his aim had been to make his next lantern. When Aurelia spoke up, he looked up at her. Patting the sand beside him, he slid some paper and metal wires over to her. "I can show ye the basics, but each lantern is supposed to be unique. So come up with a design and I can help ye with it." With that, he began twisting his own wire to make a frame. Once it was complete, he'd start with the paper.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
it's not your fault that you're always wrong
Jack is quite content being left the fuck alone as the rest of the crew go about their lantern making. But then again the captain is never actually alone, is he? They talk, joke, apologise and ponder, and he takes it all in, even if his blue eyes are focused absently on the dancing flames of the bonfire. Whilst he's seemingly sitting out on the fun, however, Seven is a different story. The black ball of fluff is set down after getting her fill of the chilli, and is just settling to see what trouble she might get into with the lanterns when Fangorn comes her way.

The flailing vines, naturally, ignite the feline predator within her, and Seven is enthralled by them immediately. With eyes like saucers, she flattens to the sand, butt wiggling obnoxiously before she's pouncing after the vines. Batting at them and playing a very clumsy game of chase, it will be to the surprise of no one that soon enough sand is being sprayed everywhere. You're welcome.
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and that the world is always our fault
when we did nothing, how did we do wrong?
Aurelia relaxed a little when Saiden invited her to sit in the sand beside him and offered some materials for her to use. Feeling a bit intimidated by the task, Aurelia sat down next to him and glanced over at his lantern, and then back to the papers he had given her. She really had no idea what she wanted hers to look like. "I dunno... I'm not super creative when it comes to this stuff," she glanced at him to see if he had any suggestions but, she did try to think of something doable yet.. personal.

It was then that the cat and the pumpkin began to toss and toil in the sand, spraying it everywhere. Aurelia recoiled when some of it flew into her face, wincing reflexively. She raised her eyebrows and lifted her gaze. "Maybe I should make a lantern out of the pumpkin," she commented sarcastically. A joke, of course, as she made no move towards it.

Wiping the stray bits of sand that sat in the folds of her shirt, she resumed her thoughts on what to do with the lantern. Saiden had folded his into the shape of a bird and Milo was crafting something ornamental and pretty, using rope as well. Aurelia furrowed her brows. She didn't want to make a lantern for her sisters, no. They weren't dead or lost. She knew where they were, she just couldn't get to them, and they were none the wiser. She was the one who was lost to them. But her parents... that was a different subject.

"Well..." she picked up a piece of paper, attempting a few folds to see how they looked, "my parents used to forge weapons and armor together. If I can make something like... maybe in the shape of a shield? I could carve their symbol into the paper, as well. That would honor both of them at the same time." She turned towards Saiden for his feedback on that idea.
and I've been thinking that when we thought
the world would break us, that we weren't wrong
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
Eating fire is your ambition
to swallow the flame down
Fangorn gave zero inclinations towards the sand spray; presiding with a set of grumbles and cackles that might’ve sounded very eerie, creepy, and spine-chilling if it hadn’t come from a sentient pumpkin. Enticed and tempted, he bounded and leapt along the sand, encouraging the cat to follow along – if everyone else was sprayed by the dunes, they could move.

Melita focused her attentions back to perfecting the lantern, when the newest crew member’s remark slid over her ears, and her head twisted upwards with the manner of a predator; inherent, intrinsic, hands already fumbling towards a preferred weapon. She’d missed the jocular manner in which the sentiment had been rendered; had only heard the vague threat lanced towards her companion. The lantern was forgotten in the sand between her knees, while she snagged at the dagger always poised along her calf. “I wouldn’t try it.” Danger laced its way through her warning, through her ominous declaration, fingers clenched over the hilt, watching, waiting, poised for some manner of devastation if the woman advanced –

Though she seemed to move on to discussing things with Saiden – and she relaxed for half a moment.
to be lit up from within, vein by vein
to be the sun
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
just take your time wherever you go
As Aurelia explained that she wasn't creative, Saiden shrugged. "It's less about the skill and more about the thought and effort." He brushed the sand that had been kicked up by the companions off his legs. When the newest crew member quipped about making a lantern out of Fangorn, though, his eye shot to Melita.

Shifting so he was in between the two women, the cook grinned at them. "Ladies, as much as I would enjoy watching it, we already got one cat fight here." He jerked his chin towards the romping Sear Cat, who was chasing the vampire gourd with what appeared to be wild abandon and sheer enjoyment.

Keeping honeybee girl in his peripheral vision (which was difficult, what with the one eye and all), he nodded at Aurelia's idea. Pointing at the pile of supplies that was on the opposite side of the bonfire from Melita, he indicated that the new crew member should pick up what she needed. "Sounds great. Why don't ye get started and if ye run into trouble holler for me?" Taking out a flask from his pocket, he took a swig from it.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
you and me we're a day drink
Milo watches everything go down, silent, his work on his lantern pausing as he watches Melita brandish a dagger after Aurelia’s comment, watches as Saiden starts to shift so he’s in between the two of them, and he tears his gaze away to take a deep sip from the flask again before setting the container in the sand. Honeyed eyes focus on the lantern, and when he’s finally got some semblance of a look to it, that’s when he begins to move.

He stands to get some of the food brought by Saiden, before settling back in his seat and cooling off the chili by blowing on it, eyes watching the gourd and cat play. His gaze focuses on the bowl in his hands then, summoning a bat to join the party of Fangorn and Seven’s antics – the bat jerkily fluttering above the duo while Milo watches it all the same, having nothing more to add to the conversation at present.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
"Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll leave you to it," she replied to Saiden, taking his advice to heart about the skill not being so important. She eyed Melita, who was fiddling with a dagger along her ankle. Saiden quickly interjected, along with his own unnecessary quip, and Aurelia felt very taken aback. She stifled a skeptical raise of her brow, wondering why the girl was so defensive when it had merely been a joke. She went to go find some more materials on the other side of the fire, picking up the papers and wires Saiden had offered her on her way. She said assuringly in passing with a dip of her head, "I was only joking, I won't hurt your companion. Promise." She offered a stiff smile before moving on.

Aurelia gathered a few extra things from the pile on the other side of the fire. The only thing she could think to grab was a few stick-like pieces of wood and some string, to hold the lantern by. Turning, she walked over to where Milo sat a little more out of the way of the playing companions. She didn't notice him summon a bat, not knowing what to look for in that way. She settled in the sand about a foot away from him, glancing over.

"Mind if I make mine over here?" She asked. As long as he was fine with it, she would begin drafting ideas for how to shape the shield, folding the paper and looking over it skeptically. She'd eventually come to the conclusion of making it into a trapezoid shape on all sides. She glanced up and, remembering his mention of the name, asked "So... what's Ludo?"
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He’s quite surprised when the new girl comes to sit beside him, but he casts her a glance while he fiddles with his lantern in between bites of Saiden’s cooking as she plops down in the sand beside him – even if it’s a foot away. “Nah, y’can go ahead.” He doesn’t mind – too drunk to care one way or another anyway. Perhaps the food might even out the alcohol a bit, make his head a small amount less fuzzy.

He doesn’t quite realize that he’s staring at her when she asks the question of what Ludo is, but when he does realize it, he blinks and looks back to the lantern. “It’s th’ herald fer Mort. The one that guides souls t’Mort’s Realm.” He offers, pausing to take another bite of his food and waiting until he’s swallowed it. “Shows up like’a… Bundle’a rags with a mask.” He’s never seen Ludo, not in person anyway. “Likes t’play games ‘n playful ‘n cunning.” Those were the stories he’d been told growing up.

And really, he’s had no reason to go and visit the herald anyway, not since their recent arrival since being locked in the bubble for so long. And then, there's the whole being abandoned thing. He forgets about the summoned bat for a moment while he's speaking with Aurelia, and before he knows it, the summoned creature is focusing on what he's focused on, the bat diving into his bowl of food as it spills out in the sand. "Ah fuckin' Frey!" He curses, releasing the hold on the summoned bat until it disappears.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
"I don't think I've seen you around before," she added as she sat down, "I'm Aurelia."

Aurelia was gazing thoughtfully at the papers she held, hardly noticing Milo's stare. She fidgeted around to grab a small knife from her pocket, and began to carve a large symbol on the center of each side. The symbol resembled something like a cluster of oddly-shaped waves but, she knew that couldn't be it. Looking at it took her back to a time when she was younger, when her parents' armory still existed. The same logo she'd cut into the paper lantern could be found on every weapon and set of armor. She remembered how hot and stuffy the shop was, a constant fire burning in its belly.

Her eyes settled on the bonfire there on the beach and, as she glanced back to the symbol, a realization hit her. It was a flame...

She lifted her gaze back up to red-haired Milo, finding him eating from his bowl of chili as he offered an explanation. She was barely able to really give him her full attention as her mind felt suddenly scrambled. Mort sounded vaguely familiar, something Sunjata had probably mentioned to her, but she didn't ask further about it. She could put two and two together; Mort was some kind of god of the afterlife, and Ludo was the one to guide lost souls to their realm. It was the stuff she'd only ever heard of in fairytales. She was about ready to return her attention back to making her lantern when the bat collided with Milo's bowl of food.

Aurelia jumped at first, startled by the sudden careen into the chili. But her brows sank and furrowed as Milo seemed to send the bat away. There was an instinctive, unsettled feeling that rose in her throat, which she pushed down. Replacing that, all that she could find was curiosity. Which, truly, was something that she had always felt surrounding the more supernatural things in life; magic, spirits, gods, and even unique bonds with animals. She glanced towards the sear cat and the gourd as they tossed about in the sand. Only, she was never able to voice her curiosity before... She turned to ask Milo, "Was that your companion?"

She then continued working, piecing things together so that they could finally look something like a lantern. She avoided looking at the symbol she had cut into the paper now. Each time she did, she got a sickening, gut-wrenching feeling. Something wasn't right with it; the symbol of the flame, her father dying in a fire. It was some kind of sick, twisted joke.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
Name’s Milo.” He offers back to her, casting his gaze away from his bowl of food toward the new recruit as he’s heard. The rest of it though, he lets her carve and add her decorations into the spaces on the lantern while he focuses on his food – until he can’t anymore, as soon as the bowl is tossed into the sand with the wrong focus of his mind, sending the creature right into it to topple it over.

He curses, hands lifting up as he watches his bowl in the sand, glancing back to Aurelia with a quiet sigh of frustration for himself and looking her up and down to make sure he hadn’t spilled any on her. When he seems satisfied that it hadn’t gotten onto her, he focuses on her question – red brows furrowing together slightly. “Wha.. Oh, no.” He pulls out the flask again, one hand waving around in the air. “’m not lucky ‘nough to get a companion yet. Just’a bit’a magic.” The waved hand slows, a half playful smirk sent her way before he takes another swig from the flask and goes to hand it to her.

Ya look like you could use some’a this.” He shrugs, flashing another easy smile her way.
so lose your faith in me

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia set the paper lantern gently down in the sand, looking it over with a small, proud smile. She was satisfied with how it looked but, she didn't want to put a light to it yet. Her eyes graced over the flame symbol on the sides and her smile waned into a thoughtful frown. She glanced around at the lanterns the others had done, finding hers to be plain but.. well-made under Saiden's instructions and examples. She was no artist and it was a wonder how she'd managed it at all.

She nodded at Milo's explanation of his summoned animal and accepted his offer of a drink, leaning back on one hand casually. She held the rim of the flask close to her lips, hesitating as she found her gaze locked on the makeshift lantern in front of her. She handed it back to Milo after a few swigs and continued to converse with him about his magic.

The night carried on as such, the crew partaking in food, drink, and conversation until there was none left.

fin.<3