[se] or to defy everything
For Sunjata
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
they should have checked the ashes
of the women they burned alive
Simple thoughts made for simple walks, reaching across familiar boundaries and lines, joining the sand and dunes before the sun truly traced and touched and glorified; bare feet gliding over its wake – but nothing was really ever as it seemed.

She heard light laughter at first – soft, genuine, warm. It wove around her ears and perfected the art of intangibility, racing into the skyline, across the sunrise, along the horizon, until she thought she might’ve been able to reach out and touch it. For once, the youth stilled entirely – a predator on guard, every muscle in her body honed for motion, but frozen in its elements, startled, bewildered, taken in by the mellifluous noise. Her gilded gaze took in the pool, the barely rippling depths, the familiar outline of the rocks and embankment. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Except then she could hear it again, the chimes well and alive and a real as the days spent in childhood, chasing down bees and butterflies, laughing into the wind, wild, free, chaotic, and her sister, her sister, wonderful, dignified, and poised in the wildflowers.

“Clem?” Melita whispered into the ether, dared it to be true, dared it to be false. Her twin was a soul long since lost, and she knew it, she had carved it on the inside of her ribs over and over again: failure. But hope was a mighty, stupefying thing, when reality seemed too vast and too broad, and she stepped closer to the reflecting water, ignoring Fangorn’s grumbles and rumbles. “Clem?” She tried once more, on her knees before the edges, head peeking over the fringes, to gaze down into fathoms and depths, to wonder if her sibling’s soul had been immersed there too.
because it takes a single wild ember
to bring a whole wildfire to life
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
all that we got is a dream and a glock and we don't believe anything that they say
It’s before they leave for the Grounds, and Sunjata’s making a mental check of Torchline to make sure there are no more troublemakers before he leaves it in Vai’s hands. So he takes to the skies, in his macaw form — unassuming as it was, given the variety of colorful birds that often flew across Torchline, when he spots a shock of fiery hair by the pools, slowly circling down until he touches the sand a few paces down.

He shifts back into himself, approaching on the last half of the word that leaves Melita’s lips, brows furrowing in some hidden bit of confusion. She peers into the water and he wonders what it is she finds. “Mel?” He asks quietly, announcing his presence as he steps closer. “You alright, heuningby?” It’s a quieter question, finding it rather obvious that things were somewhat awry, but not knowing what. He glances around the pools in search of anything that might be the reason for distraction.
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
More rings of laughter, more chiming bells, and the youth was bewildered, enraptured, captured in the potential, in the possibilities. She knew better, she really, truly did, but it beckoned and clawed over her like sirens. Her eyes narrowed and she twisted and turned, trying to seek, to see, if there was anything contained within the pool – a trick, a note, a speculation, but there was nothing obvious, nothing amiss. Just the curl and ripple, just the ebb and flow, and the echoes, the carols, of her sister’s giggles, eternally warm and tender, compassionate and whole, as if she’d never been gone.

Melita was only pulled away from her trance and confusion by the quiet presence of Sunjata; she couldn’t recall, remember, her uncle appearing, descending, or being there at all – and so she shot forward, hands instinctively reaching out – but into nothing except the water.

Not so gracefully, she fell face-first into its contents; words barely sputtering, the bracelet on her ankle keeping her aloft, afloat, along the surface. Her heart pounded, and she might’ve cursed herself for being so stupid.

She looked up from where she lingered on her knees, crouching upon the fathoms, wild and lost, grinding her teeth together, shaking her head so the crimson shock of hair flickered around her like flames. “I thought I heard Clem,” a dumb, ridiculous statement, and she shrugged her shoulders, remembering again, the levels of irritation, frustration, rising to the surface. Another breaking and boiling point, cutting along her tongue; edged and poised for days upon days. “Don’t you have governor things to do?”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
all that we got is a dream and a glock and we don't believe anything that they say
He doesn’t expect to scare her, nor that subsequent action of her falling into the water. He remains where he is at first, waiting until she gains her bearings again, as her words reach him and he nods with a bit of understanding. “I’ve been seeing things too, lately.” He hopes it helps, a weary sigh leaving him as he steps toward the edge of the pool, an arm outstretched for her as she looks up at him from where she kneels on top of the water.

As for government things? He shakes his head. “Not at the moment.” While his surveying hadn’t entirely been just his own internal curiosity but for the safety of Torchline, well, he could pretend it wasn’t exactly a government thing. And he didn’t find anyone, anyway, not aside from Melita peering into the pools. “Doesn’t mean I’d do it right now anyway.” Nope, because he was here with her, after all. And unless something drastic happened, well, he hopes it would be understandable.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
“Like what?” The obstinate defiance fumbled away at the ranklings of curiosity – that others had seen, heard, nuanced things that couldn’t possibly be there. Then it returned as she glanced at his arm, the offering instilled, and her stubborn, mercurial pursuits ignored it. The honeybee rose from the water on her own, acting as if it’d all been purposefully managed (not at all), stepping along the boundaries until she’d cleared the embankments.

And she hated how calm he was, in the face of her rising, brewing, brimming anger. In all the aspects of her frustration. He must’ve known. He must’ve understood – no matter how many god damned time she’d told him she didn’t want to be forgotten. She didn’t want to be misplaced. She didn’t want to be the last to know. She didn’t want to be the child running behind, so vastly uncertain of the world, of the family, she’d embedded herself within. Because on the outside looking in, he had everyone and anyone enraptured, embroiled, and there didn’t seem to be any room for her.

It didn’t matter that she’d went and found Nate. It didn’t matter that she tried to care for them. It never fucking mattered.

Gods, how badly she wanted to poke and prod and needle and thorn now. It was tempting, to half-draw a dagger, to poise it aloft or raise it towards his ribs, just so he’d know and understand how annoyed, how enraged, she truly was. The seething measures rankled over her skin, along the touches of her furrowed brows, upon the dangerous etchings of her voice. “Were you ever going to tell me?” Her arms crossed over her chest, and she thought about kicking at a stone, a mulish conjecture to her raised jaw.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
She doesn’t take his hand, and so he lets it drop back to his side, glancing around the edges of the Miana Pool again while she moves to stand and step off of the water. His gaze slips back to her when she asks what he’s been seeing. A muscle feathers in his jaw. “Been seeing my father.” Shoulders rise and fall in a shrug, passing it off as not a big deal when it clearly was to him, when the thought of that man struck a fear so dark and deep in his heart.

She turns back to him and he can see the rage flickering through her face, the frustrations, but Sunjata has nothing to say to it. He’s been busy, he’s been tired, he’s had so much going on. Surely with her staying with them after coming back from the Ark’s trip, she would have found out, over casual conversation. But as it was, he lets his gaze linger on her face. “Of course I was.” He rumbles over to her. “I’ve been busy, Mel. Not for lack of caring.” Damage control, getting tossed in the middle of gods and cures, of people’s wills, of suddenly feeling better from being sick when he’d ended up destroying so much.

I wasn’t even here when the reins shifted. I was in Halo.” As if that mattered any, but to him it did. Because it meant upon his return, stacks and stacks of things and adjustments needed to be done.
SUNJATA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The first remark earned her pause, the seditious angle to her jaw going slightly slack, less narrowing and pinching of her gilded gaze, less danger and flame. Perhaps he knew how to defuse the situation, or understood how much the comment might pierce. “Sorry.” She was; from what she understood, what he’d insinuated, any appearance of that man would be enough to inflict lifetimes of horrors, of terrors, of treacheries. “What do you think is causing it?” Other than a haunting, ghostly season, filled with remnants of spirits and phantoms.

And then he sputtered out his I’ve been busy mantra, and she rolled her eyes, turning and twisting away, to edge along the outer rims of the pool, blatantly kicking at stones now, arms down by her sides, palms and fingers clenching into fists. “Sure.” But there’d clearly been enough time to shoot the shit with Ronin, or anyone else, who’d been privy to the information long before she was. And perhaps that was the way of it – and she should’ve just accepted that she didn’t matter. That after everything, Melita was merely a blip on the horizon, an ember in a bonfire, a pebble in someone’s shoe; meaningless, worthless. They’d already had this conversation once, and maybe that embroiled and irked her further, unfurled her rage in an echo, in the brimming of fire clinging to her tongue. “I’ve told you before – I’m so tired of being left behind. Of not knowing what’s going on.”

A breath drew into her lungs, and she could taste the vitriol, the slide of belligerence settling into her blood. “I always tell you.” Of ghost whales, of sliding into the sea, of coasting along the waves, of every other danger and nuance in between. “Can…can you just tell me I’m not important?” And then she’d know, would hear it from him personally – ignoring the way her tones had changed to something like sorrow and despair, the way she’d begun to hollow herself out, with only cinders to rest along bones.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He shrugs at her apology, it isn’t something she should apologize for. She isn’t causing it, as far as Sunjata’s concerned, it is what it is. “I’m not sure.” Perhaps it’s Ludo getting back at him before the sickness when he had inadvertently made her think it was the cause of it. But he doesn’t air those, not as the conversation turns and he’s left staring at her, listening to what she has to say, the accusations flung his way.

It isn’t my job to come and seek you out with everything, Mel.” He tries to put it as gently as he can at first, but gods is he tired. “I was sick, I got married, I became governor, I spent weeks in Halo trying to get the Voice the cure for the sickness and then helped with the lilies they needed. I come back and immediately get thrown into governing and trying to piece together an office, to helping you and the Ark, to throwing reckless kids out of Haulani before they destroy the place.” He sighs, reaching up to run a hand through his hair.

You could have come to me.” He pauses, letting his gaze drift back to her. “But it’s easier to make everything my fault, isn’t it?” Just like everyone else, like his father, like her father.
SUNJATA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The uncertainties were gone, vanquished, about the ghosts, about the images, about everything else when the simmering edges began to consume. She set her tongue behind her teeth and fumed, the embers kindling, stoking, building along her eyes, and one would be able to tell the family resemblance in the depths of impulsive, impetuous angles. The audacious curl to her fists continued, and the deep breaths only fueled the flames – soon she’d be an inferno, wretched and belligerent, contemptuous, pinnacles of wrath, the maddening ilk – so unlike her mother, so unlike her sister, so entrenched in her anger. “With everything? How am I supposed to know if you don’t -,” and then something clicked in her brain, intertwining within the married aspect. “Married? You got married?!” And any other time she would’ve been happy for him, for Nate, for them, but it felt like a brutal swing into her heart, into her soul. “Well, fucking congratulations!”

She picked up a stone and hurled it in his direction, indifferent if it hit, left a mark, left a bruise, her own tirade building. “I tried to take care of you and Nate. I found him in Halo and brought him home. I went to find a lily for the cure. I had to help repair the Ark, and nearly flew out of the crow’s nest. I attempted to save your ass from ghost whales.” Busy? Weren’t they all god damned busy? But she’d gone to the lengths of a roar now, standing on the opposite sides of the Miana Pool, perhaps so she wouldn’t pursue murder. Fangorn kept following, grumbling after her, attempting to pacify and soothe, but it was too far, too much. “So it’s my fault I didn’t know you were magically becoming governor? Or secretly getting married?” The youth threw another rock, listened to it hit the pool, ignored the ringing laughter, the chiming bells coming from it. “Fuck you.”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
His tirade continues, pausing only as she begins to speak, his gaze narrowing on her as it hits and understands – some snarl coming from her lips about the mention of a marriage. And honestly? Sunjata didn’t remember it either. The ring still sits on his finger, the ceremony a brief blip of the sickness that blotted everything out except for the color of Nate’s single eye, the excitement that lay therein. His lip curls, frustration brimming to the surface. “I don’t even remember it.” As if it helps, that she hadn’t known and Sunjata had went and done it and couldn’t remember a damn thing from it aside from Nate’s eyes. That’s it.

There’s a stone that’s thrown at him, he doesn’t move out of its way as it careens toward him. Instead, he feels the skin on his shoulder and chest beginning to shift to the dragon that lingers under his skin, armor interlocking over each other as it pushes its way up his neck and down his tattooed arm that the rock bounces off of. His gaze remains narrow as she offers her own excuses. “So, again, Melita, how the fuck is it my fault?” If she couldn’t go out of her way to find him and he couldn’t go out of his to find her?

It was like an endless game of tag where the result was simply more frustrating the longer it went on.

I want to say it’s mutual, but you’re acting like a child about it.” As much as he hates it, the frustration and exhaustion that builds up in him, the paranoia, it brings out that Korofian within him, like his father. Always like his stupid father, stubborn and ridiculous. “Maybe I’d be more prone to seeking you out if it wasn’t a constant barrage about how terrible of a person I am.” A raise of his brow at her, stepping forward to the edge of the Miana to peer at her, arms bracing on the edge of the rocks that lead into the pool. Maybe it was better that Nate was the favorite uncle, after all.
SUNJATA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Too alike in many regards, the whirlwind only became a vibrant, frenetic, restless cataclysm. The fire had been built, stoked, kindled, and set alight, both reaching in to add to the fuel, to add to the conflagration. The treacherous wake of her eyes gave everything away – her sorrow, her rancor, her regrets, her contempt; a seething bout of loathing gathered there, for a multitude of promises not kept, for a multitude of excuses less than satisfying. She didn’t care about his armored skin or his draconic edges, because she’d been born in a land of molten sun, boldness, and audacity, and clung to it now, an unfurling heathen. His first words made very little sense to her, and she snorted, pricking and poking, nettling and thorning, coming undone at the seams. “What does that even mean?” How does someone not remember their own wedding?

His fault. Her fault. Their fault. Probably a combination of the latter, but she was already too hellbent on her side, on the wounds continuously scattered on her mind, on the blatant way she had no place in anyone’s life. “I didn’t say you were terrible. Stop putting words in my mouth, and just listen.” A deep, deep breath was taken, snapping over the coals, the cinders, the fire in her lungs; and she could hear those soft beams of laughter again, as if they were striving to pacify, to soothe, to disengage with the nonsense. Melita didn’t want to hear it, didn’t want to know it, in those moments – but the fringes had been caught, becoming less of an inferno. “I am tired of being forgotten.” Tired of being the last to know. Tired of being taken for granted. Tired of being there and there and there and pulled apart from someone’s stupefying antics. For somehow not being enough for any of them. “I had gifts for you two, I –“

Then she ceased – because what was the point. She spun around on her heel, and began to stomp away from the boundaries, turning towards the rocks. “Forget it. You don’t understand and you don’t even try to.”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
What did it mean? “We got married while we were sick.” He explains, bluntly. “I don’t remember any of it.” Other than it had happened. And from there? Well, a lot had happened. The cure, the temporary cure with Frey’s Breath, the Halo conversations, all of it. But he pauses as she speaks, that brazen, stubborn part of him winning out in the end.

I have listened, Melita. Every time it’s about how I can do better. I thought you’d realize by now I can’t. I cannot keep tabs on everything. You are the one always upset with being forgotten without giving an ounce of understanding.” But that’s how it always went, right? It’s easier to come to assumptions rather than the fact of life. He’d given her a home, he still planned to, and yet it all felt like a loss to him.

But she turns, tells him to forget it and he reaches the edge of the pool with his hands braced. “No. You don’t try to understand. You always just assume it’s a slight against you and I’m tired of it.” He tears his gaze away from her, looking anywhere but at her when his gaze lands on his reflection in the pools, when he watches it shift and mold into his father, and he hissed out some Korofi slur.

He pushes himself away, turning his back on her and that horrible vision in the water, and begins to stalk off too.
SUNJATA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Married while sick and being incapable of remembering any of it sounded exactly like something they’d do, and if she were in a better mood, if she wasn’t so stubborn, seditious, and brazen, she might’ve laughed. She might’ve rolled her eyes and bit her tongue and merely contemplated how foolish, how daft, how dumb they all were. Instead, they were too rooted in their burning embers, in their chafing edges, in their daggers and knives; and she clenched her jaw, turning away from him, planting herself upon the rocks, back to the pool.

Maybe they didn’t understand one another at all. Maybe they didn’t try. Maybe they were too similar in those regards, cinders in blood and anger immersed in ichor. “I do,” she whispered, and she doubted it would reach his ears, too quiet, not enough over the rage bursting and seething.

Wasn’t it a slight against her?

Wasn’t she not enough?

This really only proved it. She wasn’t worth the effort. Everyone else could be privy to the news. Everyone else could be warm smiles and charitable pieces.

But not her.

The girl didn’t apologize, even if the restless singsongs parading around the pool begged for it. The youth didn’t offer amends, even if the whimsical eaves craved it. Instead, she set her fists against her sides, and once more stalked away – she’d said her piece. There wasn’t much point to it all now.

{FIN}