Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood
Belril Sylminar
Alchemist

Age: 22 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Tesability Offline
Change author:
MP: 360
Belril
Every day's a challenge
But I always seem to get through
Belril didn't respond at first, instead looking down at the ground with eyes that were beginning to sparkle with tears and kicking once a small pebble on the ground. "All I can do is heal, and it's not even a lot at a time. I sometimes try to help others while hiding what I can do behind seemingly weak potions ...but it seems like even the gods hate me for being able to heal, and I don't even know why." He fell silent before adding, "my parents were both Accepted living in Torchline, and they probably thought I was the same as them...until they left me behind in Halo while seven..."

He brought the back of his free hand up to his eyes, wiping away a couple of the tears that escaped him before looking back up towards Wessex. "What did I do to deserve to be hated by most of the world, even the gods?"
Each day's a balancing act
Of good and bad events
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
At least they have some common ground, even if that common ground is shitty. Hated by most of the world? Check.

Sighing, the Wraith tries to steer the boy to one side of the path, perhaps to a place where they can sit on a large stone and have a chat, instead of walking and, well, crying. His frustration is a common one, one she’d seen in Evie, in Rory, and even in some Outlanders as they were unable to determine why the Gods were the way they were. Patting the rock, she sits and indicates that Belril should as well.

“It’s not you, personally,” the older woman begins in what she hopes is a somewhat comforting manner. “You can’t help the mutation any more than any of Rae’s creatures can. They’re scared, really.” It may be hard to believe, but what Wessex has learned of their history and the Gods has changed her perspective on several things. “The Voice was once Abandoned and she rose to such great heights that they’re terrified that someone will do it again. Even she is. It has nothing to do with healing, or any other kind of magic, just their own experiences. As for people - well, Naturals are slowly but surely changing their views. ”

Smiling a little wryly, she hopes it makes the boy feel a little better. “The only thing you can control is how you react to it. I’m hated by most of the world, too, and look at me. I bet you could do a lot of good with your healing, though.” Better than her, at least.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Belril Sylminar
Alchemist

Age: 22 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Belril
Every day's a challenge
"The Voice was once Abandoned, too," he asked as he sat down next to Wessex, taking a few moments to steady his breathing before looking back up to meet her eyes.

"I have been trying to find an answer towards why others like me were often abandoned at such ages as well," he admitted, eyes dried up after that awkward moment. "There's an elderly lady in Halo that takes in children that have been abandoned by their parents for having their magic, teaching them how to control and stealthily benefit those around them."

He then looked down towards the ground, kicking lightly at one of the tiny pebbles near his shoe. "There's something I've noticed around here, though. There's been multiple times when I have tried to use my magic to help someone that looked either really exhausted or hurt, but I ended up doing nothing but draining myself. When I tried to tap into that same magic to try to sense life for the purposes of healing, it's like those same people have no real life energy to speak of." Belril looked back up, confusion clear on his face. "Am I doing something wrong to be unable to help these specific people? It's the same ones each time." He then blinked in sudden surprise before adding, "In fact, it seems the same way with you as well."
Of good and bad events
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
Belril is asking good questions, he’s just asking the wrong person; if he were Ascended, she could tell him exactly how things work and why, she could teach him about scans and how their fluid builds up a resistance to sunlight over time. And while she knows about magic, she’s read about them all, she can only hypothesize.

“On me? “ the Queen begins slowly, blinking in bewilderment. “Why would you try to heal me? I don’t have any obvious wounds.” Though she might be eternally pale from her ascension during Flowerbirth of a year, Wessex should look completely healthy. Not even ‘tired,’ in the conventional sense. It’s an odd thing to immediately try to do to a stranger, but then the kid had latched on rather quickly.

Nibbling at her bottom lip as she sifts through the information she already knows. “Considering how young you are, your gift might be quite small right now and you can’t do much beyond the basic healing. Or you’re trying to heal people who have life drain magic or are Ascended. Healing won’t work on those folks, only something like a unicorn horn or other magical intervention would.” With a quick look at her hand, the Wraith holds it out and grabs a knife from her boot.

“In fact, I can heal myself. Which again, isn’t typical of all Ascended. Watch.” She makes a little cut in in her palm and lets the clear fluid ooze out, though not for long. Before their very eyes, her nanites will knit her flesh back together, as seamlessly as if she’d never broken the skin. Though Belril may not know it yet, there isn’t a single scar on her body anymore, they were removed by the Voice in her search for perfection. Wessex’s body is as smooth as a baby’s ass - not that anyone around her appreciates it in that way.
No, I’ll be the stone
Belril Sylminar
Alchemist

Change author:
Belril
Every day's a challenge
"I wasn't really trying to, I was just seeing if I could," Belril clarified, pulling his unseen magic back into himself for the moment. "And I knew about the inability to heal those who have the vile magic of life drain, but I was surprised by those who didn't seem to be Abandoned also being unhealable as well." He glanced down towards the ground, scratching at the sight of his head for a moment. "But if the inability to be healed is just an aspect of being Ascended like you're saying...it makes me feel bad for not being able to do anything for them if they get really hurt, but at least I know I'm not doing anything wrong with trying to do anything for them."

He then kicked against the ground before looking back up towards Wessex as a thought crossed his mind. "The Ascended was created by the Voice, right? Could the fact that the Ascended be unable to be healed in such a way be a flaw that she's still trying to figure out how to work around?" The tone in his voice and the tilt to his head while looking towards her he hoped to come across as curiosity and an attempt to understand, not trying to accuse the Voice of making anything flawed. He especially knows that the flaws are part of the process of making anything new or perfected.
Of good and bad events
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Preferring not to fight about the kid’s intentions (it wasn’t important, wouldn’t get either of them anywhere other than pointing out it’s not quite a normal thing to do), Wessex nods and refrains from saying anything else. She can feel him pull his magic back and is tempted to - no, that’s pushing things.

Turning back to the issue at hand, the Queen once again attempts to dispel misplaced guilt. “Don’t feel bad,” she says with a shake of her head. “We can heal ourselves the same way people can. And the Voice has a generous track record for our more major injuries. Your concern is very kind, Belril, and I’m really touched that you’re so worried about the Ascended. That, means more to me than you know.”

As for whether or not being unable to be healed is a flaw or not, she has to think about it for a moment. “Well. It could be. I can only speak for the Voice in some matter, and this isn’t one of them. See, when we Ascend, we lose the parts that make us mortal - blood, heart, lungs, stuff like that - and it gets replaced. And I don’t know much about healing, but if you’re working with skin and flesh, well, yes, we have that, but the rest of us isn’t the same. It makes sense, but I don’t know if it’s a flaw. Maybe we just need our own Ascended Healer.” Pushing herself up to standing, the Wraith shrugs with a light smile.

“She says we’re an evolving species. New things become possible all the time. You could always try and ask her.” But there was something he was on his way to to do, wasn’t there? She looks towards the market place and then back at the kid. “Shall we keep going? I reckon you can get a few more questions in before we hit the marketplace.” It’s an open offer, said with a little chuckle and a glint of something warm in her eyes. This kid is somethin’ else, but she can see the potential in him.

{Fin}
No, I’ll be the stone