there must be something more to find
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I know, I fought you in the dark
It’ll be in the back of her mind until she goes back - the cavern, the tunnel, the lightning storm. What the Wraith needs to know is what kind of creature could control lightning like that, or what kind of creature lives in a giant cave underground. In her admittedly limited experience, there aren’t many good creatures that live in holes in the ground. Tanau might be one of them, but what would the Longheat god be doing out here?

Leaning against a tree on the Outskirts of the Ground, the Queen seems utterly casual, as if staring off at the lightning storms is something that is quiet normal. And the truth is that it wasn’t a storm she used to watch, but the barrier - staring up at the obscuring dome from the ‘safety’ of the treeline. Yearning to go beyond it, dying to see what lay on the other side and then trying not to die in here. There are too few who might recognize that picture, remember the watching, the frustration, and the inevitable death when someone did finally decide to try again.

Wessex sighs and crosses her arms. What to do about it all?
the wraith
WESSEX
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
HENRY
I was waiting for something extraordinary
but as the years wasted on...
Henry maneuvered his way through the woodlands at a steady, perhaps even a slow, pace. His dark blue gaze scanned the leafy mulch underfoot carefully. Occasionally he would use a nearby stick to turn over a pile of leaves. Thus far, he was only able to unearth bugs and worms taking shelter beneath the healthy layer of mulch. Dissatisfied, he moved on from them each time. He was careful not to disturb the contents within a small satchel attached to his belt, occasionally placing his hand on it to ensure it had not opened.

He found himself barred from continuing along his current path by several intertangling vines, as if the trees had made a sort of spider's web. Having a healthy respect for this woodland, he tried his best not to blaze too harsh of a trail so that the flora and fauna would not die because of his negligence. Therefore, instead of trying to cut through the vines, he took it as a sign to try elsewhere. He wound his path around to find another way.

A few minutes passed in relative silence, as silent as the woods could be. Henry was adjusted to the sounds of wildlife. A crow's caw or the rustle of leaves from a small animal didn't perturb his ventures though, he did pay some small bit of attention to them. They became the soft melody of the forest around him. Background noise. So, when a very human sigh resounded through the air, it caught his attention.

Peering up from his search along the woodland floor, he was able to make out a figure through the spread of trees. It was a woman and, upon walking a little closer, Henry found that it was not just anyone. He'd never formally - or at least privately - met the Queen of the Grounds but, he knew her when he saw her. There she was, in all her prowess, and he recalled the things she (and others, of course) had done over the years to help free the Hollowed Grounds from the bubble that trapped them for so long.

It wasn't often that he did see her, however. He intentionally stepped a little louder to mark his arrival. "Queen Wessex?" The question of her name lingered in the air for a moment, as if he still wasn't quite convinced she was there. He stopped between two broad trees, standing across from her. He pulled his hood off of his freckled face and glanced around, "What brings you here? Not trouble, I hope."
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
“Just Wessex,” the Wraith seems to reply automatically, having heard his feet on the leaves a minute or so before he rounted the tree-corner. Turning to face him, the older woman pivots with her back to the tree, the opposite shoulder now resting against the bark, arms still crossed. “No, no trouble…” yet, she thinks, not that he’d ever guess that from her mild, polite expression. Drifting off as she tries to place him, his face is definitely familiar, it’s just a matter of oh, maybe ageing him down a bit. Parents? Who are his parents?

“Walker…?” she says finally, making a face that says she knows she’s guessing. And going to feel bad if she gets it wrong, considering she can't even come up with a first name. Queenly fail. Gods, who lives in this area still?
the wraith
WESSEX
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
HENRY
"Just Henry," he replies with a smooth smile, returning her own gesture with a slight tilt of his head, "Mr. Walker is my father," He's pleasantly surprised to find that she can pick his family name out just by looking at him, regardless of if it was a guess or not. That must have said something about the farm. Though, he supposed that wasn't all too surprising. "although I wish there was a more exciting association with my family name than just... sheep." he chuckled softly, though he was being honest.

He swallows quietly, glancing around the area to try to determine what the Queen was doing out in the woodland area. Well, he supposed it was her own business; if she didn't want to tell him, then so be it. He brought his hand back to push aside his cloak and reveal the pouch on his belt. He opened it and revealed a harvest of mushrooms, "I come out here occasionally, to pick the mushrooms. My mother likes to use a certain kind," he explained.

Still, something told him that Wessex was not there for just a hike through the trees. His brow creased and he asked, "What's on your mind, Wessex? You're clearly not here for the mushrooms." He closed the flap over his pouch and secured it shut once again. He gazed at her questioningly, lips turned down into a pensive frown.
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Mr. Walker spurs a memory, a flickering image of a man and a woman and their sheep farm. “Ah!” she exclaims in recognition. “That’s it. You’re Emik and Tess’s son.” Or one of them? That, too, is fuzzy, but memory of the young couple’s success is stronger than whomever they’ve grown into. And she’s clearly checked out in the kid department; if the youth weren’t interested in hunting or weapons, they didn’t tend to be on Wessex’s radar.

“Better sheep than nothing at all,” a look from her reminding him of the many who’d starved or tried to farm, but failed. The number of lines who have died out - her own included, whenever she passes - almost seem larger than those who have survived the centuries in the bubble.

Still, it isn’t a sharp look. And she’s moved on, nodding at the search for mushrooms. A mushroom soup seems like a lovely thing… it’s too bad only the sharpest of tastes activate her taste buds now. Something subtle and earthy and warm would have made her quite happy not so long ago. Again, her eyes drift a bit as a particularly savage flash lights up the distant storm. “Those storms,” she says with an indication of her chin. “I want to see what’s on the other side, but it’s proving more difficult than I thought it’d be.”
the wraith
WESSEX
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
HENRY
Wessex's pointed look was humbling, making Henry's smile falter until it was replaced by a deflated frown. It had been a while since he'd been reminded of the harsh reality of his family's success with the farm. They hadn't been selfish in the endeavor, and he was proud of their shared wealth. But, vaguely, in the back of his mind, he knew their success was one of few and what that meant for others who had failed. He remained silent, only nodded his head in response. They moved on from the subject and he was thankful for that.

A startling crack of light caught both of their attentions. Henry directed his gaze towards the distance, where Wessex was looking as well. A lightning storm toiled across the far skies. Henry wondered about them himself but, he didn't have the answers that Wessex wanted.

"Huh," his brows threaded and he glanced towards her, thinking about how fast a lift could get snuffed out by a single strike of lightning. "Difficult, yeah, I'd say that seems difficult!" he stifled a breathy chuckle and considered her more seriously, "Wait, have you tried already?" his eyes widened. Then his expression relaxed, "Well... must be something very important on the other side, to take that risk. Do you think you'll try getting through again?"
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
There’s no denying it: Wessex is awkward. She always has been, and Henry might recall rumors about the now-Queen or a general distaste for her when he was a kid. While the general perception hasn’t completely shifted, she hopes it’s begun to - after all, they did elect her Queen for a second time.

After the crack of lightning, a scream echoes through the woods and Wessex looks off in the distance behind Henry, as if she recognizes it (Spoiler alert - she does). His words bring her attention back to her and she chuckles and nods enthusiastically. “Twice now, with two different groups of people. We’ve found that tunneling under can avoid the lightning and found a group of unicorns in the middle of the storm. Led them out. They’re… somewhere around here.” Here being the outskirts, and she offers a vague sort of semi-circle gesture to further mean, she doesn’t really know where.

“I need to figure out how to talk to them. Or -” shaking her head, she shrugs at the other option. “Take a group of people willing to risk meeting whatever might be in a cavern under the storm,”

There’s a sudden flutter of black wings and a dragon shoots out of the darkening sky, coming to land on the Wraith’s shoulder.
the wraith
WESSEX
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
HENRY
Henry tilted his head at the thought of finding a herd of unicorns in the middle of a storm, trying to imagine what that might look like. The Walkers brought their sheep in when there was a thunderstorm, for fear of losing them. Wouldn't something like a horse - or a unicorn, for that matter - be at the same risk? He wanted to say yes but, apparently the unicorns had come out alright. "How did they survive?" he wondered out loud, voice a little quieter. There was either some kind of strange ability behind it, or they were insanely lucky creatures. Maybe both. Or maybe... 

"Could it be the unicorns that are causing the storm? Or do you think it's something else?"

Henry was about to ask if anyone was willing to go, thinking that he... might be. Then, suddenly, as his mouth opened to speak, a black shadow careened from the sky above them. A small, black.. creature landed upon Wessex's shoulders. Henry smiled at the sight of it, "and who's this? I thought dragons were much bigger."

But he grew more solemn, more sincere and went on to say, "Well, if no one else is willing to go with you, I will."
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Somedays, yes, she too wonders at how crazy their world seems to be, and each year seems to top the one before it in some way or another; raising her brows and shaking her head, the Wraith replies, “No idea. Whatever kind of unicorns they are, because they don’t look like the companions - they can stand being struck by lightning.” There are few other creatures who could stand that, again and again and again. “I can’t help but wonder if they’ve been trapped there for two whole two years.”

And none of them knew. Gods, the torture…

As for what’s causing it - Wessex’s fangs appear to gnaw uncharacteristically on her lower lip, mulling over the question of who or what is keeping the storm going. “I don’t think so,” she says finally. “They seemed eager to get out, it caused them pain. I think it’s whatever’s beneath the storm. Something much bigger than the unicorns.”

Loki is a momentary distraction, nudging her scaled nose up against Wessex’s cheek and crooning in her ear, her attention soon flashes to Hengry, gold-green gaze turning to regard him open curiosity. Alas, the man has no companion for her to play with, so she must make the best of a less than ideal situation. Chirping in greeting, the black dragon extends her neck to try and size Henry up a little better.

“This is Loki,” Wessex says with an affectionate smile. And then he surprises her, taking her attention from companion completely. “Are you… sure? I don’t know what’s in that cavern. It could be a bigger dragon. A nest of landsharks, ah -” Well, he gets the idea. They’re goin’ in blind and he, well, Wessex would never say it but he’s a level 1 a farmer. Not a fighter.
the wraith
WESSEX
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
HENRY
Henry's expression of thoughtfulness warped after Wessex's explanation. He empathized with the creatures. If they didn't cause the storms, then being trapped for years in them must have been hell.

He eyed the little dragon as it lifted its green-flecked gaze up to him. "Hi there, Loki," he smiled softly. Indeed, he was lacking in most things that Wessex had. Skills, strengths that would suit him to the task that he offered himself up for anyway - and, yes, a companion too. He didn't have any meat on hand or else he might've thought to give some to the little beast, to make up for these things and extend his friendship to it.

He shrugged considerately at Wessex's perplexion when it comes to his offer, mulling it over again, rethinking it a bit - but still, he stood by his offer. He wouldn't take it back, necessarily. "Well, there might be answers, too. You seem troubled by it and, if it troubles you, it should definitely concern the rest of us. Shouldn't it?" He asked, raising his gaze back to the Wraith's but, the look in his eyes lightened as he continued, "I may not have the skillset needed for an expedition like that, so.. I understand if it's not my help you end up calling for," he pursed his lips in disappointment, making a small 'tsk'. Then, with an easier tone in his voice, he added, "but don't forget that it's here. I've been teaching myself, and there's a few people I've met that have helped me as well. I'm trying to... stretch my wings. Maybe I'm being too ambitious," he smiled softly, "But! When something comes up again, maybe I'll be better equipped to offer my help."
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Henry framed her concerns in a way that few, except for perhaps Amun, had ever thought of her responsibilities and worries. “Thanks,” she murmurs. Even if he doesn’t know what she’s thanking him for, the perspective needs to be acknowledged. That feeling of appreciation leaks into Loki and the dragon trills a little agreement, fluttering her wings before turning to backtrack up Wessex’s arm. Henry has passed her test.

“It’s not first among my concerns, but yes, it’s there.” He might be able to guess what’s at the forefront of her mind, and if so, it’s understandable that her priorities have shifted. “Not too long ago, I wanted to make an Explorers Guild, for people like you and me. But only Bastien came to the meeting - if you can believe it. I’d be willing to try again. Though I think I’d need a co-guildmaster in case the Queen stuff gets me busy.” She offers him a small, raised brow in question, because it will, they both know it will. Really, she’d be Guildmistress in name only, but it’s an organization that could span regions easily.

And it would make it less of an “Ascended” guild and more of an “everyone” guild. She just might be the tank to get them through the tough parts of the exploring.
the wraith
WESSEX
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
HENRY
He was surprised by her thanks, eyes widening, pondering that for a moment. But, really, Henry was just saying what he thought. He hadn't really been looking for approval, necessarily, but he had been looking to try to understand. To try to see things from Wessex's point of view. To ease the worry that made her tense. Not because he was close to her but, because he really was trying to branch out; see and do and be more than just a farmer. His parents had always taught him to help his community. Maybe it was time he got more involved.

As Wessex continued to talk, speaking music to his ears, a gleam worked its way into his eyes. He felt excitement spark his mind at the prospect she was offering. Explorers Guild. It was perfect. He hadn't even noticed the boyish grin that was working its way along his face now.

"Bastien, huh?" a thoughtful look passed through his dark gaze. He didn't really know the man personally, only by way of the Artist's Sanctuary. It surprised Henry to know he was interested in something like that. Blinking, he returned to the real meat of the conversation with every intention of biting off as much as he could chew. "If you need me to help you run it, I'm-" he laughed and shook his head slightly, "I'm your man."

"What would we need to do to get it started?"
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Right?” Finding that Henry’s surprise mirrors her own makes Wessex chuckle all over again, silently thankful that some things can still amuse her. In this moment she’s quite grateful to the adventurous farmer, admitting to herself that she’s probably underestimated Henry. Never judge a book by it’s cover, ‘eh? Same with Bastien, apparently.

In the dusk he might still be able to see the spark in her eyes as he offers to help start the guild with her, a grin spreading across her face as they come to three. Hopefully. “Just a base of operations, I think. I know the Monster Hunter’s Guild has probably fallen into a bit of disrepair after Kiada’s death, but we might be able to repurpose it, if it doesn’t feel too… disrespectful.” Personally, she thinks it would be what Kia would want, for some time of adventuring to resume. “When that’s done, there might be people in Halo and Torchline who might want to join… perhaps with a different face at the helm, it might be more successful.”

Pushing herself off the tree she’s been leaning on, the Queen gestures for him to walk back with her, their conversation trailing not into the nuts and bolts of starting an organization, but to Henry’s experiences, so she can learn more about him. “Tell me, have you ever been to Halo or Torchline…?

{Fin}
the wraith
WESSEX