Grim Curiosity [Open]
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Sam had had a taste of blood now. As much as he hated the idea of suddenly becoming a bloodlust-filled monster, now that he had done it once, the whole thing was a lot less scary. He had drunk blood, it had been good, and he wasn't in any kind of trouble about it. Or at least, he wasn't in any kind of official trouble. He wasn't sure how Remi felt about the whole thing anymore.

But he knew now that it would be hard to resist the opportunity it if came up again. While he still went to the shrine to refill his fluids...the taste of blood and the simple rush of taking it kept coming back to his mind.

However, there was another issue. He didn't know many people; and the people he did know would likely not be willing for him to drink their blood. Even if they would be willing, he was not bold enough to ask unless his life was on the line, as it had been with Remi. But...he had begun to think, what if he didn't take blood from people?

At first he had just intended to go the market and find some meat, drink blood from that; but thinking about it: if that worked, would that not be what every Ascended did? And he had never heard of someone going to slurp on the meat stall. He reasoned it was likely it had to be blood from a live source.

So...that was how he had found himself in the fields, looking for. Something. He wasn't sure biting on a cow would be a good idea (stomped under hooves wasn't a fun way to go) but was looking for a rabbit. Whether he would actually have the guts to bite into one once he found it was still up in the air, but he crouched down low and crept about the fields, looking exactly like the prowling killer he didn't want to be.

SAMUEL
Another little digit on my lifespan, what a bore
And what once was fresh and green
Now marches in the ranks of the obscene
This whole transfiguration thing is such a chore
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:

To be completely honest, she doesn’t think much of the bookish Ascendant; he’s boring, weak, and thoroughly wasting all the good things about their changes. It’s not the books that are boring, no, in another life, Wessex might have been some sort of warrior-scholar, eager to devour information and put it to good use. Life might be hard everywhere, but as the elder, the one who’s supposed to protect, who shows aptitude with weapons and a distinct lack of morality except when it comes to protecting one’s own… well, what other roles are there?

Her sister’s death didn’t change Wessex’s role in life. It just meant she had nothing left to lose except her own life. And that? Initially the older woman thought it was rather worthless, having very few ‘friends’ - she never would have called them that. Rory’s anger, however, tells a different story.

It doesn’t change much, but it does chance something. Rory will never be Magrethe.

Anyway. Back to Wessex’s disdain of Samuel. For awhile he’d been the only Ascendant - and she only knew he was one once she’s turned and could smell it on him. Now, that same smell creeps towards her over a frozen field and she crinkles her face into a ‘what the fuck?’ kind of expression. Did he lose something?

If he’s going to hunt, the least he can do is use his superspeed. Be the predator he’s supposed to be. But then it’s never occurred to her that he might actually be looking for blood out there...

WESSEX
She whispered back, I am the storm
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Sam was about to give up. In this depth of Deepfrost it was rare for creatures to venture out of their habitats and as the time ticked on, he was losing motivation for the whole thing anyway. The whole venture was beginning to feel rather silly. He wasn't even sure if he'd be able to bring himself to drink from anything if he could catch it.

He straightened up and brushed off his coat (unnecessary for anything but appearances, but it helped him feel a little more normal) of snow, got ready to return back to town - when suddenly he became aware of another person nearby.

He wasn't quite sure how he knew, but he could sense another still heartbeat, smell a sickly sweet scent that wasn't quite human, wasn't quite right...Ascended. Sam's breath hitched in his throat. Other Ascended were rarely good, and one who would creep up silently in the wilderness?

"I...Is someone there?" He asked out into the fields, stepping backwards as if he had a chance of running away from anyone who wanted to catch him. "I...I don't want any harm!"

SAMUEL
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

The same super senses that allowed Wessex to move quite quickly and quietly alert Samuel to her stalking. It’s an effort not to roll her eyes in a full 360 degrees, such is her feeling of scornful dismay at his question.

“Of course there’s someone here. You can smell me.” Her voice is hard and biting as she stands up and reveals herself. Now, Wessex isn’t a tall woman, but she is taller than Sam, which may or may not add to a sense of superiority. She is not like them and she is not like him, either. Wind tugs at the tips of her short hair, sends her short cloak flapping in the silence between them.

“You’re a long way from your books,” she says, questioning what he’s doing here without actually questioning it. “Seems unwise… there are scary things in the night… especially during Deepfrost.”

It’s only a little taunt. Besides, it’s not like she moves towards him or anything. She just stands there in the snowy darkness, watching with folded arms and the occasional barb. For now.

WESSEX
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Sam didn't recognise the woman, but he knew from the fact she was Ascended and from the hard look on her face that she was going to be trouble for him. His hands balled up into nervous fists at his side (more so that he could feel he was doing something than for the desire to get into any kind of fight).

Other Ascended had never liked him. Too bookish, too shy, not proud enough of their awful heritage. He'd heard it all. And as nervous as he was, Sam was beginning to get tired of it.

"I know. B-but it's alright during the day. And I'm looking for something. But...I'll go now. I-I'll get it later. So I'm not in your way." It took every inch of courage he had, but Sam lifted his chin and as authoritatively as he could tried to walk past Wessex.

SAMUEL
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Oh for fuck’s sake. He’s making this waaaaay too easy for her. She’s almost mad at the way he gives her fuel for the fire, fodder to light the spark of inspiration for his torture.

If only there were some remorse in her, something left to say ‘hey, Wessex, maybe you shouldn’t bully a fellow Ascended.’ Magrethe would have said that. But Magrethe had always been too good for this world, and in the end it killed her, didn’t it? The only way is to be tough, to be has hard as the metal imbedded in her forearms. The weak don’t deserve Caido.

She laughs at Samuel, a sort of menacing chuckle in the back of her throat, nearly swallowed by langor and the slow build of amusement. “Oh? What are you looking for?” And why give it up so quickly? Wessex moves to intercept his path, hoping to stop the redhead in his tracks.

He’s not getting away that easily.

WESSEX
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Of course, he wasn't able to get away as swiftly as he wanted. As Wessex moved into his path Sam took two shaking steps back as if he'd been struck, staring at her with nervous eyes as he fiddled with his sleeve and tried to work out if it was worth telling the truth. He supposed it may make her respect him more, to know he was out looking for things to drink from.

"I..." He began, looking down at her feet. "I r-recently...drank. From somebody. A-and it was...um." Sam was embarrassed to admit he had liked it. Even though he knew Wessex would likely approve, would consider it him taking his role as Ascended seriously...it still felt dirty, something he should have abstained from.

"...So..I was hoping. T-to maybe...find some blood but...no-not from a person. So I don't..hurt anyone." Or hurt myself, he thought, remembering the way Remi had gone cold once his teeth had left his neck.

SAMUEL
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

“Oh really? she asks Samuel with a gleam in her eye. For all Wessex’s bluster and hard-edged nonsense, she’s never done that. Drink from someone, that is. It seems like a step beyond humanity, and that is something she’s been unwilling to shed. The Gods can tell her she is Superior, they could bring her back and and again, and she even might believe them, but there is something just… extra about biting someone.

But what does she know, she’s only newly Ascended. Wessex had only the myths to go on, she never knew other Ascendants until she became one. So this little revelation is actually quite fascinating. It won’t distract her fully, but it’s a start. She can’t help the curious tone that creeps into her voice as she regards the bowed man with a mixture of pity, callousness, and something akin to low-key awe.

Instead of whatever he might be expecting, she asks, “What was it like? Better than drinking from a God?” She needs the deets, please. And then she'll maybe consider not beating him up for scrounging around a cold, wet field for food. They are better than that.

WESSEX