Mini Event ringing all the warning bells
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

There have been some developments; the Wraith’s face is more grim, her body more tense as she heads to the Temple for the meeting. Knowing that she has to deliver bad news has prompted her to write down her thoughts - and the notes for this are secured in a cloak pocket. Climbing the few steps to use a podium placed before the altars at the Temple, Wessex waits until it appears that all the stragglers are in before starting.

“Thanks for coming. I meant this to be a meeting where we can decide what to do with the Hollowed Ground. How to improve it - how you want to improve it. I know how shitty the soil is, how our livestock are thin and half our buildings are still in ruins. I wanted to fix that. But I’ve also learned some troubling news lately, and you all should know too.” This is their home, after all. Their lives.

“The Old Gods are threatened by an Ascended presence here. They seem to think it’s a major threat and have sent some of their demigods to the Greatwood. To stand against us, if something should happen.” Spreading her hands in a helpless gesture, the Queen looks to her people. “I don’t want something to happen. Don’t want a war. Hadn’t planned on any aggressions. Hell, most of the Ascended here are artists  - painter, potter, writer, bookmaker. Teenagers. Newcomers. They aren’t like me.” That last bit has some weight to it; whatever everyone might think of her - positive or negative - she felt it important to draw the distinction between disliking and mistrusting her and everyone else. “I can’t sit back and watch the pieces move without putting our own defenses together. I think it’d be irresponsible and dangerous because I don’t know what else might be going on. And if an attack comes, I don’t know if they could target just the Ascended, or everyone who lives here.”

It’s a risk she just can’t take. She also realizes it's a risk others might not be willing to take.

“If all of this has you nervous, I don’t blame you. I hope you stay to defend our home, but you do decide to leave the Ground, I’ll speak with other leaders to make sure you’re welcomed with open arms. All I ask is that if you think you’re going to leave, to refrain from voting.” A suggestion obviously, not a command.

“So I’m suggesting some new options for our Regional Quest. We could try to keep the demigods out of the Grounds, we could make an alarm system that incapacitates an invading group for a bit, giving us time to prepare. We could see if there’s something that will give us the homeland advantage. Or, as suggested before, we could improve the soil quality.” She quickly looks through the crowd to see if someone in particular is there. When her gaze lands on him, she nods and then returns to the people. “Oliver was also the only one to step forward to join the council.” She is keenly aware of what she told Bastien earlier, but finds herself in a trap and well - her word is her word. “If he wants it, the position is his.”

A couple of people bring out four boxes for them to vote into. “Any question?” If there are, she’ll answer them before proceeding. “Majority rules,” she says with a gesture to the boxes.

-------------------
You have 24 hours to ask a question, 48 hours before voting ends - or until everyone who wants to vote has done so.

DM Astor on Discord with your choice. If you’re IC considering leaving the HG (I know there was some discussion), consider not voting at all, but obviously that’s just a suggestion.

WESSEX
come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts
unsex me here
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
full moon rising on the waters of my soul
Amun had scrambled to grab a notebook, a quill, and some ink when he'd heard Wessex had called a meeting. Making sure he arrived early, he set up a small table next to her. Bent over his journal, he scribbled furious notes, although at times he found himself glancing up at her, eyes wide with shock.

Frowning at the implications of her words, he cleared his throat. "The early warning system you suggest. Would it only work against invaders? Or could we get something that also alerts us to natural threats and monsters, and gives us an advantage against them. Like that mud creature a couple years ago." He glanced at his hand, which had been crushed by the damage caused by the mud monster and only restored through the Voice's grace.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Before all of this, Oliver had seriously considered leaving. He was rather unhappy, but slowly he was finding new motivations. Still, it didn't feel like enough.

Until this meeting had happened.

Tons of it were things he hadn't heard of yet and all of it was alarming. The grounds was becoming less and less of a home of everyone and more and more Ascended centric. It disturbed Oliver and concerned him more. The worse was yet to come as the ideas came up. Preventing Demigods from entering? Hurting potential intruders? It seemed the Ascended were prepared for a war-

And so the decision to leave was gone. He couldn't leave, especially with this new opportunity. "I agree to join the Council." While he did have many friends who were Ascended, this was not the right way to go. This was not how to handle conflict, in fact, it would seemingly make things worse.

Hopefully, by joining the Council, he'd be able to understand the full picture... and also receive important information, if needed.

Oliver agrees to join the Council!

let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair
Oliver

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Amun’s question is a good one and for all the right reasons; Wessex’s head tilts as she considers the possibilities and implications of something like that. “Honestly don’t know,” she says finally. “I imagine if we’re clear in our request, it might be possible. Seems to be 50-50 sometimes on going big and asking for a lot or playing it safe with something definitely doable. Would that change your vote?” She supposes that’s the real question at place, if it’s a no, just the invaders, is it worth it?

I’m trying not to mention asking the Voice, she adds mentally. Getting everyone behind a defensive something might be hard enough. Getting them to care, to step up, to not draw lines in the ground even though they’re being drawn for them seemed like a monumental task already, if she hasn’t underestimated the Grounders.

To that, Wessex really hopes she has, but she won’t hold her proverbial breath for that kind of luck.

WESSEX
unsex me here
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
full moon rising on the waters of my soul
As Oliver agreed to join the council, Amun gave a little cheer. "Welcome!" He gave the blacksmith a thumbs up. Then the potter returned his attention to Wessex. Shaking his head at her question, he grinned. "Probably not, just wanted to raise the possibility of something with a bit more utility." He bent his head back to his notebook to resume taking notes.

Or at least that's what it looked like. It's a good thought, but if the old gods are looking to fortify the Greatwood against the Ascended, I'm not sure anyone will be convinced they'd be willing to do the same for the Hollowed Ground. He was careful to keep any hint of his thinking from his expression.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Belril Sylminar
Alchemist

Age: 22 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Tesability Offline
Change author:
MP: 360
Belril
Every day's a challenge
But I always seem to get through
The teen was trying to keep himself unnoticed among the crowd as he listened to the Queen speak with clear authority. It was almost inspiring to hear and see. He looked around towards the others, listening to the exchange happening around him before he gulped and began to step forward himself to in front of the crowd momentarily.

"...would it not be possible to combine some of those into one effort," he asked before looking up towards the sky. "We might need the help of the Voice to spread something like this throughout the entire Hollowed Grounds, but...at least for critical areas like the Sanctuary, would it be possible to set things up so that, when the alarms go off, the surrounding area is able to temporarily go dark so those that can fight in the dark are more able to?" He glanced off to the side for a moment, steadied his nerves, before looking back up. "If things can be set up so the sun can be blocked off when needed instead of all the time, we would be able to also work on bringing back the livability of this place for those whom have not...or cannot...become Ascended and live here."

He was having to fight his nerves, nerves that wanted him to shut up and stay hidden, but...he felt this was important enough to speak up. He just hoped he didn't suggest something impossible.
Each day's a balancing act
Of good and bad events
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
BASTIEN

Bastien always attended meetings of importance in the Hollowed Grounds, wanting to know exactly what was going on and when...but he'd never been on this side of it, a part of the council making the decisions (or at least, looking to do so to the population); it was odd and he tried to forget it as he listened to what Wessex had to say, sitting to the side with his sketchbook and making quick sketches of her speaking face as he did - it helped him to concentrate.

He did raise an eyebrow at the news of Oliver joining the council given what Wessex had said earlier, but did not speak on it; it was her council, after all, her calls to make.

"We have plenty of food and drink for the time being and have always dealt well with shortages when they arrive. If this threat truly is looming over us, it seems only sensible to deal with that before the less urgent matters." That, and he found the idea of the alarm comforting; perhaps it could give him time to protect and prepare those he loved instead of losing them.
Oh, and there we were all in one place
A generation lost in space
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Samuel

Sam had not been sure what to expect from this meeting, his first since arriving back in the Grounds. Wessex once again as Queen wasn't a surprise, the woman always being the sort to take charge of wherever he was; who exactly was in her council drew a raised eyebrow, but it wasn't his place to say anything, just to listen.

Sat near the back, Sam immediately began to nervously fidget as Wessex spoke of an apparent incoming threat. When he'd talked to Remi earlier, the Demi God had seemed hesitant to fight Ascended, and from what he knew the others didn't want to kill either...but what if that was a cover? What if it was to throw them off the scent, for a sudden attack? Naturally paranoid, naturally fearful, he knew he had to agree to the alarm system; that way he could at least try to hide in time.

Suppose I never ever met you
Suppose we never fell in love
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
HENRY
I was waiting for something extraordinary
but as the years wasted on...
Henry stood to the back of the crowd. Somewhere around, his family was also attending but, he had chosen to stay back. He looked up at his Queen where she stood at her podium and addressed the crowd. His thick brows furrowed in concentration but, occasionally, he glanced around at the other people around to see who was all there. When he finally noticed, off to his left, Sam, he raised his brows. But he didn't move towards him until Wessex was done officially speaking.

Reaching the ascended's side, Henry shuffled in beside him and gave him a small nudge with his elbow. "Sam," he says quietly, a greeting. He gave the other man a small nod. Before he could comment much on the choices presented, a familiar voice rang through the crowd. It was Belril, the boy he'd met in the fields. He had an interesting take on things but, Henry found himself leaning more towards one option. In order to keep the Hollowed Grounds and its residents, many of which Henry favored, safe, security was probably going to be the biggest priority in the coming months.

Glancing over at Sam, he discreetly looked up and down the man's face. He was visibly stressed out. At least, to Henry, he was. This was all serious news for him since he didn't delve much in regional politics or religious disputes over what was right or what was wrong. "Don't worry, I'm sure the people are going to do what they can to protect this place," he murmured to Sam, his voice a soft rumble, "and everyone in it."

His decision was not made lightly but, he remained quiet in the matter of concerns or questions. He was interested in what the outcome would be, though he was glad to help where he could no matter what it was.
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Anden Huff
Huntsman

Age: 30 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 1 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Mro..ddy Offline
Change author:
Anden

The Sun and the Moon
In an endless game of hide and seek
It wasn't all that long ago that Oliver had found him by the spire.

Anden had spent much of his life searching for a way out for him and Eloise Marie. A hidden pathway through the Evergreen Forest that loomed over his family's inn. To escape the grip of the Kingdom, and the suffering it brought to its people.

Then he woke up in Caido; and suddenly he was discovering all kinds of firsts. With his eyes closed he pictured his nights at VlamVloed's, or his many adventures with Dani, or the time Alina trained him in the forest. Caido was a placed filled with opportunity. Something Anden was starved for before he arrived.

From the Spire, to the Glade, to the forest that lined the Grounds, and even the Artist's Sanctuary, it seemed each passing day Anden found something even more beautiful than the last. Caido never seemed to disappoint.

Standing in the temple surrounded by familiar and unfamiliar faces, listening to voices he knew and some that he didn't, that's when Anden realized.

The Grounds weren't his home.

He may have woken up in the Grounds, but that didn't mean he had to stay there. He didn't have to fight its battles. Anden didn't owe the Grounds anything.

Fighting his way through the crowd in the temple, Anden made his way to the large doors. With a final glance back at the familiar, offered a silent thanks. The Grounds may not be his home, but it was where he learnt to accept who was now.

His shoulder against the door, he pushed through. The world and its many wonders waited for him. Anden spent his former life knowing nothing more than his family's tavern, he wasn't going to waste his new life fighting someone else's war.
The Sun and the Moon
In an endless game of hide and seek
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
Azrael

They’re running a bit late for the meeting, but they arrive quickly – darting through the streets until they meld into the crowd that’s formed – sneaking through it all until they reach Bastien’s side – honeyed gaze lifting to find Wessex where she stands. And there’s a lot of information – some that they had missed but that they’d try to figure out through the context of everything else. Their father rumbles, mentions of threats and food and drink and shortages, their brows furrowing together as they consider what might be the cause of it.

They don’t really have anything to offer other than their help, and they flash Wessex a wide fanged smile from where they stand beside their father. “I want to help with whatever we decide to do.” They turn their attention to Bastien, almost as if asking if it were okay that they offer it. Regardless, their gaze ends up finding Wessex again.
mind over matter
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

See, that’s why she has Amun and Bastien - for suggestions and reassurances. Whether or not Oliver will provide useful is yet to be seen, as he accepts but has nothing to add to the conversation.

Agreed, she shoots back to Amun. I think Frey would help with the soil, but Ludo and Safrin are out. They’ll have to be okay with the Voice. Or it hasn’t occurred to them. The boy from the alley, Belril, speaks up and she turns a warm gaze to him, nodding in thought. “I hadn’t considered making an area temporarily dark, but that’s a great suggestion and something to ask. I don’t think fully dark all the time is something that should be on the table right now - or ever was - it wouldn’t give everyone here a homeland advantage.” It would only give the Ascended an advantage and she’s trying to impress that this isn’t just their fight. It will be the Ground’s fight.

Perhaps that’s too idealistic.

When the questions stop, the Wraith waits a breath before gesturing to the boxes again, more or less the have at it sign.

When they’re finished, she tallies the votes in full view of everyone and it’s obvious that one option is overwhelmingly favored. “An alarm system it is,” she announces to the Temple. Maybe with shock capabilities or darkness capabilities - or both - they’ll have to see what the Voice is capable of.

{Fin}
----------------

Enough people voted for one option that the rest can’t make up for it. Thanks! Will get the shrine thread up soon.

WESSEX
unsex me here