Out of the Frying Pan
for Neron
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Sam
I am this great, unstable mass of blood and foam
And no one in his right mind would make my home his home
What Sam had known about Neron prior to this trip had certainly made coming out to find the man intimidating. He had once been Warden, he was a Launceleyn, he was charming...it sounded like a recipe for horribly embarrassing himself, but sadly he couldn't think of anyone else to turn to for his first exploration into the Climb. Neron was the Ascended with the best chance of knowing the way through Halo to the Climb, and Sam knew he wasn't going to be able to do this alone.

And indeed, he was glad to have someone by his side when they actually reached the burrows. Dressed in a large hat he used in the Longheat, thick boots and a cape, with a umbrella to match, Sam was certainly not fashionable, but he was ready to defend himself against any light or heat that dared to come in his path. Staring down into a tunnel, he looked over to Neron and asked: "...Are you worried about this? The fire, and us, I mean."
When I try to open up to you I get completely lost
Houses swallowed by the earth, windows thick with frost
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron

you're so cold
put your hand in mine
It's underground, something that Neron can very much appreciate about this hellhole that is the Climb. He's had to sneak out of Halo, something he finds hilarious to this day, but he knows what would have happened if Morgan had found out about his little expedition. Namely, he wouldn't be going. And she probably would be, instead. Can't be having her showing him up as ungentlemanly, can he?

So off he strolls with Sam, all in black with a parasol and a wide hood to his coat to shade him from the sun, though he's got something a little different in mind for the heat. The Hailstorm stands beside the other man, hood pulled down and parasol tucked under one arm to gaze into the tunnels with eyes that easily pierce the darkness.

"Not especially," he tells him, raising a hand and conjuring a bit of will to let ice fringe the cave walls all around them. It instantly begins to melt, but he thinks it gets his point across. "I think we'll be alright for this bit of a trek, anyway. Why did we need to come here, again?" He's been told, probably, but sue him. His mind was on other things.
wise men wonder
while strong men die
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sam
Neron looked much more put together than Sam could ever hope to be, but he tried not to pay it too much attention. After all, a mission to explore a firey hellscape was not a fashion show; if they both burnt into crisps it wouldn't matter what they were wearing -

- Gods, he needed to stop thinking about the burning thing.

"I'm helping the Voice make a portal to this area, but before she can create it, we have to explore the entire place." He explained, supposing Neron had not yet been on one of these expeditions. In fact, he couldn't remember Neron coming on any Ascended quests with him, but he supposed the man might have just been occupied with other things, having once been a Warden. "She sees the place through our eyes, and...well, I'm not sure how it works, but I know that that's part of the process."

Looking up at the melting ice coat on the cave walls, he tilted his head, and before he thought about if he really wanted to know, he asked: "How did you get ice magic?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Neron

you're so cold
put your hand in mine
If they did burn to a crisp, Neron is already dressed in black, so... y'know. The aesthetic is there. But he's not thinking about the burning thing, really, peering up and around the cavern and the melting ice upon the walls, stepping forward to see what lays deeper within the tunnels. The explanation is surprisingly insightful, giving the Hailstorm a better idea of the bigger picture when it comes to the Voice and her operations, and he nods his understanding.

"I see. So this is almost like... field exposure, I suppose you would call it. We provide enough information for her to 'see' this place, and we can construct a portal to get here." It's more than a little impressive, in all honesty.

Having stepped forward further without really noticing, Neron glances back over his shoulder at Sam as he queries the magic in his blood. "The former queen, Rexanna... she called us hybrids," he explains. "Both Abandoned and Ascended. I've always had the ice."
wise men wonder
while strong men die
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam
"Yes, exactly. That's how I understand it. She told me she can see through our eyes...which does sometimes make me a little nervous, but I suppose I'm not doing anything she wouldn't like." Sam laughed, a little too nervous to be convincingly casual about the matter. It was true, though: at the moment he was following the Voice's rules and serving her as he was meant to. The feeling of being watched simply made him wonder if anything he did was somehow wrong.

The ice was a comfort. At least they had something to fend against the heat, which was more than he could say for his escapades out to the Climb with Amun and Osozo. "Oh. I see. I didn't know you did that as well." For a moment it was quiet, Sam lowering himself down from a rock (with his short stature, he had to be careful with the sudden rocky dips of the Climb), but then he decided to ask more, the conversation so far going surprisingly well. "Did you ask the Voice to keep your magic, or did it just happen?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

you're so cold
put your hand in mine
"Still a bit invasive though, isn't it?" Neron flashes a fanged smirk over his shoulder at Sam, as if to suggest that it doesn't matter whether or not the Voice likes what they're getting up to. The bottom line is that she can still snoop on them whenever the mood strikes her. "Then again, I imagine she has more important things to do than watch me clean a bar." Or go on secret dates with Halo's Warden. Or whatever else makes up his day to day.

A little more lanky than his companion, Neron drops easily down from the rocky outcrop they've approached, the Hailstorm raising an eyebrow at the tell-tale ruddy glow ahead, suggesting a heavy stream of lava. He keeps his magic readied at his fingertips, just in case. "It just happened, I think. I don't know that the Voice could take it out." he says, his tone mildly conversational even as he slows his steps, wary of the fire that might burst around any corner. "Did you ever meet her? Rexanna, I mean."
wise men wonder
while strong men die
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam
"...I suppose, but..." Sam lowered his voice, as if it would make a difference, and looked from side to side, clearly anxious. "I don't want to say anything ill of the Voice. She's done a lot for me." That was a reason, true, but the real matter was that he daredn't, when he knew he was only just back in her good graces. More than anything Sam feared again having his upgrades and voice taken away, the threat of death looming over him once more.

Steadying himself after the clamber down he followed behind Neron, eyes flicking from side to side to watch for any sudden bursts of lava threatening to burn them. "Oh. It must be nice to have your own abilities too. To not have to always drink from someone." While the Ascended Bite was an amazing thing, it was often undeniably awkward, in the midst of a mission, to have to engage in with somebody.

At Neron's question Sam's eyes averted to the ground, keeping an eye on the stone and gravel beneath rather than accidentally catch the other mans gaze, knowing the guilt might show on his face. "Yes. I knew her well; she was my friend."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

you're so cold
put your hand in mine
"She certainly has," Neron says in agreement - she's done a lot for the both of them, though he couldn't really see it at the time. Now, though, the Hailstorm is inching closer and closer to the goddess of the Ascended; she has, after all, favoured him more than the Eirachi ever has. Holding up a hand, he gestures for Sam to stop just as they round one of the corners. Ahead of them, a stream of lava blocks the path. With magic whispering at his fingertips, Neron sends water and ice to stop its intensity.

The lava hisses and crackles with a great deal of steam that swamps the area; Neron is left trying to fan it away from their faces. "It certainly does come in handy, though I'm not sure that it's so easy to just not drink from someone." Last Deepfrost had taught him that much. As the steam starts to clear and the way is safe to walk, Neron gestures for Sam to go first.

"Ah, I see," he says. "I'm sorry for your loss. I'm afraid I didn't know her well enough or for long enough to be able to call her a friend. I would have liked to know her better."
wise men wonder
while strong men die
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam
Sam raised an eyebrow at Neron's comment, but decided not to make too much of it. As far as he knew, Neron didn't know all that much about who he'd once been, the developments he'd gone through, but maybe he was speaking from his own experiences too. His thoughts were swiftly interrupted by the obstacle of the lava in front of them, anyway, and as the steam rose he took a couple of steps back, coughing and waving a hand in front of his face even without lungs.

Pulling a face and blinking as he tried to readjust after, he shook his head. "It's very awkward. Don't you know what happens when you bite someone?" Maybe Neron had never gotten to, didn't know the effect it had; Sam didn't know how anyone could think the bite was something casual, given what it did. He still struggled to bring himself to do it in a context outside of the bedroom.

He walked forward where the steam had once been, still not quite meeting Neron's eyes as Rexanna was discussed. "She was wonderful. I hope she's having a good time with the Voice now."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

you're so cold
put your hand in mine
Following after the other man, the steam drifting up and into the caverns (and undoubtedly escaping into the crust above), Neron can't stop the grin that flashes across his face. It's directed at Sam's back, luckily, and he's able to wrestle it into something a little less sly. "I know exactly what happens when we bite someone," he murmurs. "But I also know how it feels to be forced to do it. That kind of thirst isn't pleasant, and I'd rather be safe than sorry."

They drift around more pillars of stone, more caverns, more ruddy light from below, where Neron has a feeling that a large pool of lava is waiting for some poor wretch to trip and fall into it. "I hope she is as well. Perhaps we will see her again one day," he says, before glancing back at the other man. "So are you an adventurer for a living, Sam?"
wise men wonder
while strong men die
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam
Sam glanced back as Neron said he did know, curiosity immediately in his mind, but he didn't know the man anywhere near well enough to ask about who he'd drunk from in his time. "I'd be happy if I only ever drank from one person for the rest of my life." Sam sighed, wishing he could see that as a possibility, but sadly he was too often in situations where it was needed; besides, who would let him do that? Letting his fingers briefly trace around the ages of a stone pillar, he tried to let the topic fall away after that.

At least seeing Rexanna someday was something they could agree on that was appropriately sombre and serious. Sam nodded, though in his mind he added on an extra sentence: I hope she's forgiven me.

Even with that very solemn, sad thought, he couldn't help the burst of laughter at Neron's last question. It was the second time he'd been asked that in recent weeks and the assumption would never stop being funny to him. "Um, no. Definitely not. I sell books that I make...I just sometimes do things for the Voice. I'd happily spend the rest of my life in a small room with tea and a book, if it were all my choice."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

you're so cold
put your hand in mine
Neron raises his eyebrows as they walk, not expecting quite the level of openness from the red-head who had been mostly silent on their journey to the Burrows (not that it bothered him any). He doesn't reply, but that's mainly because he's ruminating on it; what would it be like, he wonders, to only drink from one person for the rest of his life? And who would that person be? A certain Warden comes to mind, and Neron doesn't quite know what to do with that information.

He's drawn out of it by the sudden sound of laughter, the Hailstorm raising his eyebrows and finding himself chuckling, too, to hear what Sam really did for a living. "Well," he says, "I'd not want to keep you from your books. Let's make a quick circuit and get out of here," he suggests. And so they do just that, circling around the caves and finding themselves back at the beginning of their trek in due course.

By then, Neron has had enough of potential death-by-lava, and so they head back out of the Climb, back towards the Tundra.

~FIN
wise men wonder
while strong men die