the ones who won't forget you
Remi
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Believe me when I say I know what you mean," Vai says softly, her blue eyes shining with empathy. "When I first came out here, first cobbled this place together while I was looking for Devrum... eesh. I wouldn't have liked to have seen myself," she admits, cringing at the memory. "But I did it for Felix, in the end. I knew I had to care, for him if not for anyone else."

She squeezes his hand back, shifting to stand at the side of his chair to wrap him in a tight hug (leaving enough room for him to keep eating, of course). This isn't forever, Remi," she whispers. "You two will find a way to see each other again, gods or no gods." His curls are a lost cause, so she doesn't try to smooth them down. She does try to pull a bit of bramble out of his hair though, having to fight with it to get any sort of purchase.
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
oh but that's the irony: broken people are not fragile
Remi nods, before his expression contorts into a rather feral looking grimace. He knows Vai is right. Knows that he needs to get himself together, if not for himself or Ronin, but for Mateo. But gods if he just can't muster the energy. Not right now anyway. Perhaps in a few more days, or weeks even, but now? Now every breath feels like a task he hasn't the heart for.

Releasing his food that he might spread his hands over hers, the alchemist bows his head and tries to meander his way toward the comfort her words are meant to inspire. "I don't want to wallow, but...gods Vai, I'm so tired of this." So tired of the trials and tribulations. So tired of being thrown about on a sea he didn't understand. So tired of being pulled away from Ronin in various ways.
The Lullaby
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"I'm tired of it for you, as well," Vai whispers to him, disentangling the bramble and a little more debris from his hair before letting her arm slip around his shoulders, holding him close. "Wallow, if you want to. I'm here, and I'll take care of things until you're up to it again. I'll stay for a few days if it makes you feel any better," she offers. "You just have to promise me you'll take a shower if you do, because I love you but you're a mess."

It doesn't stop her hugging him, though, the witch closing her eyes for a moment to think and consider. "Do you see him when you sleep, like before? With Mateo?" she asks softly, blinking her eyes back open. "So you can at least touch base once a day?" Or night, or dream, or whatever.
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"I don't want to make you clean up my messes or put your life on hold for me." Remi mumbles, leaning his cheek against one of Vai's arms and sighing happily into the warmth. "I'm tired of that too." Vai already, Ianto, Sunjata, Amalia, and most importantly, Ronin. They'd all picked up the pieces he'd left behind at some point or another, cleaning up until he was ready to begin again. And it wasn't fair on them either.

"You lived with Devrum." The alchemist protests, glancing up at her through a mess of curls. "I'm insulted that you're saying I"m worse than him." Though if he was? Gross..maybe he did need a shower.

"Mmhmm. We can meet anywhere we want. In places that are real, or ones we just make up. And Ludo has given me a way of sending him physical messages, too." It sounded ideal, and really, it was. But ideal didn't mean it wasn't hard for the alchemist to see his husband only in dreams, where the kisses and marks they left on each other faded as soon as they opened their eyes.
The Lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Well, strong you might be, Remi, but you can't make me look after you. If you want me to stay, I will, and I'll be doing it because I want to as well," she informs him, sighing softly and touching a hand to his cheek so she can peer down at him. "You're right," she says sweetly, "I did live with Devrum. And he always looked more presentable than this - let that sink in for a second." With a mischievous wink, she rubs at a bit of dirt on his stubbled cheek and lets her hand drop back around him again.

Mulling over his words as he speaks, Vai considers it all for a moment. "What are you supposed to be doing here, in the Greatwood?" she asks. "The gods put you here instead of Stormbreak for a reason. The sooner you get the work done, the sooner you and Ronin will be together properly again, right?"
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Hearing the witch's words, both those that criticized and reassured, Remi can only grin wickedly up at her after a moment. "Alright, alright. Maybe after lunch you can watch Mateo while I take a bath." He agrees, cracking a smile and allowing himself to relax into her soothing and maternal presence.

"Creating a stronghold." He replies, nodding back toward her chair that she might sit with him again, if only so he wouldn't feel so bad about shovelling more food into his mouth. "Well, that's what I'm wondering about...if it is merely to create a defense, perhaps my work could be over rather quickly. But if it's to defend, then..." He frowns; then there is no end in sight.
The Lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"That's probably the best idea you've had since I first saw you. A shave wouldn't go amiss either," Vai remarks, giving him a playful nudge, though she won't push that one too hard. With one last squeeze, she draws up her chair to sit with him again and let him keep eating, listening carefully as he speaks about the reasons for him being in the Greatwood. "And what about Ronin? What do Stormbreak want for him?" she wonders.

A stronghold, though... Vai hums out a long sigh. "To defend, you've got to assume there's an attack. And I..." She pauses, brow furrowing, glancing to Remi. "The Ascended and the Fae have been at each other's throats for a long time, though I'm sure you know that. I think the stronghold should be easy enough - you could even start here, if you want to. But there's a lot of bad blood in these woods. I'd involve the Fae in whatever you decide to do."
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
'What you don't think so?' Remi wonders of the beard that's beginning to take form on his cheeks. Stroking it as if deep in thought and curling one eyebrow up with dexterity only matched by Ronin, he chuckled and shrugs. He can look however he wants in dreams for Ronin, so his actual appearance here matters very little. Beard or no beard, he doesn't care.

"To be part of their soldier-ranks, as far as I can tell." Remi replies between bites of meat. "They're called the dragoons. All accepted with dragons. Or...well, all accepted and one demigod, with dragons."

Remi listens as he eats, valuing Vai's point of view and insight. "I was going to hold a meeting with them to see what they wanted and to let them know what was on the horizon. But with Delah gone, their animosity seems to have declined. Even that trial for the ascended hasn't been anything more than just words so far." Exhaling and staring at his bread as if it might hold all the answers, Remi shrugs. "This seems more about keeping tabs on the ascended, than protecting the Woods. And if that's the case, I wish the gods had been more forthcoming."
The Lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Don't you give me that look. You and I both know where you got it from." Vai titters, worrying only that Mateo will end up mastering it before his eyebrows have even fully grown in. She supposes the bearded wild-man look suits him, given that he's in the one stuck in the woods, and she shifts to sit cross-legged on the chair as they chat. "Gods? Forthcoming?" She snorts, though as he continues to speak she nods, glad at least that he seems to have everything in hand, even if things aren't as clear as they might be.

"You know," she says slowly, not wanting to stoke too much hope but also not wanting it to go unsaid, "even with you and all of the Fae... that isn't much of a defence, no matter how good the stronghold. Now, a regiment of soldiers... that's something suited for a place like the one you're making, wouldn't you say?" If Remi is making the space and Ronin is making the numbers, it would seem to come together quite nicely.
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I have no idea what you mean." Remi chuckles back, swallowing against the pang of longing he suddenly feels for Ronin. There are no clocks for him to stare at, but even so, he counts down the hours until bedtime just the same.

'Well, but that's the thing of it. Is this meant to be a point from which we attack the Hollowed Ground? If so, it seems..." The alchemist shrugs. He's no expert on all of this, but even to his untrained mind it seems doomed to fail. "We fortify the woods, Ronin and his soldiers come here and...the ascended just leave. There's nothing special about the Grounds. They have no reason to remain so close to a threat."
The Lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Mm, I wouldn't necessarily agree with you there," Vai says softly, drumming her fingers against the table as they talk and Remi eats. A woman of stories, she's added all she's learned about Caido to her repertoire. "The Hollowed Grounds is the place where they trapped the Voice previously. There must be a reason for that. If they were going to try to trap her again, I imagine it would be easier to do it in the same place."

But he's right about the Ascended, at least, Vai sighing and ruffling a hand back through her hair. "And I suppose we're assuming that the Ascended and the Voice are going to be acting on the defensive. I hate to say it, Remi, but... you can't know that will always be the case." It's a mess, to be sure. "Whether to go after them, or defend against them, a stronghold is always necessary. Look at Northaven."
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"So why don't they, then. The gods have already shown they can pluck anyone they want from whatever they were doing...why not remove the non-ascended from the Grounds and put the barrier back up?" Remi could already think of a few reasons, and the way he grumbled down into his food suggested that his snark was mostly rhetorical at this point.

Glancing up, a roguish smile on his lips, the Lullaby nods. "Yeah, look at Northaven. An entire civilization meant to defend against an enemy that never came." Pushing his fingers against his palm to crack his knuckles, Remi just grumbles again; always reduced to boyish antics in Vai's presence.

"I hear you're on Jata's council, in Torchline." Remi remarks casually, not at all slyly confirming that she wasn't in a position to move back to the Greatwood to help him with this task.
The Lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
Vai accepts his good natured grumbling with all of the expected patience of a mother; she reaches out to pluck a piece of fruit leftover from the basket, taking a thoughtful bite out of it. "Was it an enemy that never came? Or was it an enemy that stayed back because of the defences? Though I suppose the stone cat wasn't really evidence of a non-existent enemy," she points out.

Reaching out, she gives him a gentle push at the reminder of her new position on Sunjata's council. "I think," she says patiently, "that Sunjata would be more than happy to lose me for a few days if this was what it was for. You're his friends, you and Ronin, and it's for a pretty good cause." Some might say the cause is to defend against the Ascended. Vai would say the cause is that Remi needs her - simple enough.
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The alchemist shrugs the stone cat having been before his time. Vai is right in all the ways which matter, and though Remi wants to petulantly continue to argue, his better nature gets the best of him and keeps him silent.

"I didn't mean just for a few days." Remi says softly, reaching out to cover her hand with his and give it an understanding squeeze. Vai had built herself quite the life in Torchline, and furnished it with good people. He understood he couldn't just ask her to uproot her life.

"Enough about all this though. Talk to me about Zeph." Raising his brows and grinning mischievously, the alchemist wonders if perhaps there is to be another wedding in Vai's future. He remembers well helping to plan the first one, so that the witch and bear could be married before Devrum was captured and sent off to jail for gods knew what bullshit charge.
The Lullaby