where the heart is
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
and I tried to remember how nice it had been
They've settled in with surprising ease, to this new life in Torchline. Out of the woods and onto the beach, Vai finds herself tanned and freckled come LeafChange, living in a comfortable little house with a man as crooked as he is adorable. (And a son who's going the same way). And it's strange and wonderful all at the same time, the witch meandering out onto the porch at the front of the house just as the last of the light bleeds from the horizon.

The hanging lanterns overhead provide enough of a glow for Vai to cut herbs, though - she's got some planters and baskets out front, and she needs a handful of this and that to add to dinner. Food is like a beacon for every part of this weird little family, she's learning, herself included, and she has no doubt that someone will be along soon to see what's cooking.
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: N/A - Strg: 15 - Dext: 7 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
oh i got troubles that won't let me be, but i won't get tired, set the world on fire
A few things have changed since arriving in Torchline. He’s learned a lot, gotten along well with his reading and figuring things out. He’s also realized that not everyone is kind, to have some form of a guard up — though it helps getting some instruction and ideas from Zeph. But ever since the day the mer had dragged him into the water, he hasn’t been back into the waves. Instead, keeping distance along the sandy shores and perusing the goods at the Port and throughout Haulani.

He’s filled out a bit more, become a true looking young adult, but that’s not what’s arriving toward the home on swift feet. Nope, it’s the bear shift, having scented the food what felt like a mile away, Felix booking it and making a beeline for home. Four black paws fly over sand and kick it up in a cloud behind him, until he can see Vai on the porch and he finally slows, shifting into himself and offering his mom a playfully charming smile — one he’s learned in his time here. “Hi mom! What are we having?” He asks, skipping up the porch and swinging over to her to give her a quick hug, his stomach growling loudly in the process.
'till my troubles got trouble with me
FELIX
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
"Ribs and mashed potatoes," Vai announces, not remotely surprised to hear the sound of her son's voice as he tromps up the steps. She turns with her handful of herbs, laughing at the sudden hug - she's sure Felix has gotten taller since she saw him yesterday, the witch planting a kiss on his cheek and ushering him inside. "Zeph is out for the evening, so it's just us. And no, I didn't cook any less." She grins - between the two of them (Felix, mainly), she's sure they'll manage.

"What have you been up to?" she asks, sweeping inside after him and clicking the door shut. It smells of barbequing meat and spices, and Vai heads back into the kitchen so she can mince the herbs and add them to the potatoes. "Whatever it is better not bring trouble home after you."
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
oh i got troubles that won't let me be, but i won't get tired, set the world on fire
Mmm…” Felix says, accompanied by yet another grumbling of his stomach. He leans into the kiss at his cheek before he pulls away to peer at his mother, slightly taller now with a small bit of a fuzzy beard beginning on his face, something that’s been meticulously attempted to keep under control — with Zeph’s help as of late. Still, at the mention of Zeph being out Felix can’t help but to snort to it. “More for me!” He chimes, a grin spreading across his face, bolting into the house now toward the kitchen and the table.

I’ve been helping out a little in Haulani and the Port. Shouldn’t be trouble.” He offers, cutting his sentences somewhat shorter now due to Torchline’s slang getting to his impressionable mind. “Staying away from the water and just… Working where people need me. The usual! I promise.” The grin that flashes Vai’s way isn’t totally believable, and if Felix has spent time near the brothel or it’s inner workings, he hopes his mother is none the wiser for it.

He grabs a couple of plates and utensils, moving to set the table once he’s washed his hands, before peering back at his mom. “You seem happy.” He murmurs, glad to see his mother has gotten brighter now that the illness hasn’t been rampaging across the region.
FELIX
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"More for you!" Vai chimes back, her laughter ringing through the kitchen, and as her son potters around behind her, she continues cooking, cocking an ear to listen to his adventures of the day. They're predictably vague and innocuous sounding, and Vai doesn't believe them in the slightest. But Felix is staying safe and has learned well from Zeph and the other Torchers, and she knows they have his back. It'll do for now, and she drops a kiss atop his head as she moves to the oven to take out the ribs.

"Staying away from the water?" she echoes. "I would have assumed you'd be splashing around like a fish by now." Because no, Vai still doesn't know the details about that. There's still a little longer to go for food, so she pours them both a drink (it's difficult to reconcile her son as nearly being an adult, but she's getting used to pouring him a bit of wine as well) and plops down at the table.

Smiling warmly across at Felix, she nods. "I am happy," she tells him. "What about you? How are you doing?"
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Change author:
He sets the table, placing plates and utensils down and plopping a seat as soon as his work is done, smiling after his mother as she makes her way to the oven. The smile fades slightly when he realizes his slip, when he remembers that he hadn’t told his mother what happened to him more than a season ago because of the illness that rampaged and the worries she’d had trying to deal with all of that. He hadn’t wanted to add in more.

So he rubs his hand along the side of his cheek, through the fuzz that’s starting to grow there, until his hand rests at the back of his neck and he flashes a small half smile of awkwardness. “I had… An issue at the end of Flowerbirth in the oceans so I’ve just been avoiding it.” He offers, to not leave her hanging but knowing his mother well enough to know she’ll dig and find out anyway.

As for her happiness, he nods, a half smile forming on his face again as the food and wine are dished out, settling in again and nodding to her. “I’m good. I’m happy.” A mimic of what she had said but knowing it wouldn’t last with the comments of the issue he’d come across. “Other than that one time, Torchline has been good.” He avoids her gaze as he goes to reach for some food, to pile it up onto his plate.
FELIX
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
A frown furrows Vai's brow - obviously - to hear about the 'issue' Felix talks about, but she knows better than to try and discuss something so deep without a meal to soften the blow. So she makes sure that food is ready at hand, waiting until both of their plates are piled with a healthy amount of ribs and potatoes before tuning back into the conversation. "Did you get into some kind of trouble?" she asks, reaching across to smooth a lock of hair back out of his face, the witch forcing her expression to clear into more of a concerned smile.

"I'm glad you like the place. I was actually going to ask you something, though - if you did find yourself missing the Greatwood, every now and then." Sitting back, she picks up her fork and smiles down at the plates. "Remi has been instructed to make a sort of... stronghold, in the woods. Its a god thing," she explained. "I thought you might like to help him out, once or twice a week. He doesn't know the Greatwood half as well as you do."
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Change author:
Did he get into some kind of trouble? Yeah, you could say that. He’d gotten into quite a bit of trouble – and despite the way his mother leans forward and smooths a bit of hair out of his face that had come loose from where he’d shoved it back, well… He can already see the red that would flare within them. So he takes a deep breath, dives into his food, and once a bit of that has settled and he feels a bit better about it, he nods. But he waits, because it does no good to damper the mood when she begins to tell him of what Remi needs help with. “Oh. I can do that!” He chimes, finding some relief in the suggestion. “It could be fun. And I’d get to know him better.” The slightly crooked smile that crosses his face is positively boyish as he peers back at his mother.

But he can’t prolong the question from earlier for much longer. So he takes a few more bites of food, lets it sit, before he tilts his head slightly and sets the fork down so that he can actually talk to her. “I learned pretty quickly that not everybody is nice.” He says slowly at first, his bi-toned gaze lifting from the dish to scan his mother’s face. “A Mer told me she could show me where the best treasure was.” And what an idiot he was to believe it. “So… I went into the water with her. And she pulled me down and down.” And it was dark and cold, and he’d been terrified, and she’d gotten mad at him. “She said that it was a sea swear and that I’ve ruined it and that the ocean would always try to devour me so…” He shrugs his shoulders and picks up the fork and moves the potatoes around. “I just… Haven’t been back. That’s all.” Really, it was okay, he was okay. He just didn't go into the ocean anymore.
FELIX
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"Mm, I think you'll be able to cheer him up a little too. Make sure to get under his feet, and pick on him if the woods get him lost." Vai smiles sunnily at Felix, even though there's a knot forming in her stomach. She knows better than to push him to talk before he's ready, and yet she's still filled with a growing sense of anticipation that it's not going to be good. And she's right and she hates it, Vai setting down her fork and reaching to take a sip of wine, giving herself something to do as he explains about the water. The mermaid. The sea swear and the ocean devouring her son.

That's all, Felix says, and Vai is already scooting closer to wrap her arms aorund him, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. "Are you alright now?" she asks quietly. "How did you get away?" There's nothing but warmth and concern in the witch, though that's entirely for Felix's benefit. Underneath she's seething, already imagining all kinds of dark scenarios where she might take care of the Mer who tried to drown her boy.
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Change author:
There’s a crookedly boyish smile that crosses his face with the suggestion of picking fun at Remi if the woods make the Lullaby lost. And so he nods, but all fun and games don’t last long with the words he’s about to say – the ones that make that smile fall from his lips as he remembers Nerissa’s raged words at him, the curse of the sea. So he digs into his food absentmindedly, fork pushing food around the plate before Vai’s arms wrap around him and he leans into his mother’s touch, dropping the fork to wrap an arm around her in return and press his face into her shoulder.

I’m fine.” He tells her, albeit muffled. “I shifted into the bear shift and she freaked out and let me go.” And said it had been his fault, that he’d panicked and evaded her, how the sea would never forgive him again. “And then I swam back to shore and just... Didn’t go back to the water. It’s fine, really.” He tries to urge – some relief spreading through him at having finally told her but knowing it likely wouldn’t be the end of it.
FELIX
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vai merely sits for a moment, smoothing down her son's hair, listening as he speaks. "That's my boy," she murmurs, sounding proud of his actions to get away from the Mer who had trapped him. "But... it's not fine, Felix. We both know that." Sitting back a little, Vai gives him an encouraging smile. "Maybe if we lived somewhere that's not quite so close to the ocean, it would be reasonable to never go back in it. But... you can't guarantee that you won't have to swim in there again. What if something happens? What if someone's in trouble?"

Moving properly to her chair, the witch gives his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "I won't push you, to do anything you don't want to do. And I'm glad you told me about this." As if to reassure him, Vai turns back to their meal. Nothing like food to make everything feel normal. "If you do need any help, though - and you want to go back in the sea - I'll be here for you."
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Change author:
There’s pride in Vai’s words, something that bolsters that uncertain part within him. And he nods in agreement to it definitely not being fine, but knowing nothing else of whether or not he could figure out a way to get over it. At least… Not alone. Perhaps Zeph or his mother might be willing to spend some time with him, learning the ocean again, waiting to see if it indeed swallowed him up the moment he stepped into it.

Even the thought was enough to make him almost shiver. “Maybe… before it gets too cold we could go for a swim?” He asks, lifting up his fork again and letting his mismatched gaze land on his mother, a silent question in his gaze. “I’m pretty sure you’d fight the ocean if it meant keeping me from drowning.” There’s a crookedly boyish smile that crosses his face yet again, recovering enough to pick at his meal and dig in again.
FELIX
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vai gives him all the time he needs to think things over, turning her attention back to dinner and nearly finishing it up by the time Felix speaks again. And when he does, she shoots a sunny smile in his direction, reaching out to clasp his shoulder and giving a warm nod. "Sure we can," she says. "We'll stick to the shallows, maybe even go to the Miana pool or something like that. And we'll make sure we're down there when there are a few other people about."

As for fighting the ocean, Vai's smile grows a touch sharper, a touch more dangerous, though there's love in the gesture; fierce, maternal love. She gently pats his back. "Sweetie, I'd murder gods if it meant keeping you safe," she tells him honestly; it's such a simple declaration too, that there doesn't seem to be any room for argument. "Say, do you want to go into town for dessert after this?"
a long long time ago
Vervain
Felix Calob

Change author:
His gaze lands back on his mother as her hand meets his shoulder in a gentle squeeze. “That sounds good.” He agrees softly, a boyish smile crossing his face. “And fun, of course.” He adds on with a quiet chime of a laugh, letting the ease of the thought settle in his mind, relief suddenly spreading through his bones at having  released that quietly kept secret for so long. And so he focuses on finishing his dinner when his mother pats him on the back.

His bi-toned gaze lifts to his mother as she makes the proclamation that has him smiling with ease, even if the subject was dark and something he never wants to have to think about. But he doesn’t know what he can say in return, instead simply focusing on his mother as she suggests the one thing that has the grin spreading so wide it almost hurts, across his face. “Ice cream?” A bit more of that childish nature spreads through him with the thought, practically salivating despite having eaten.
FELIX