life sucks, let's dance
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and that the world is always our fault
when we did nothing, how did we do wrong?
Aurelia could not help but laugh, causing a bit more blood to dribble out of her nose. Clearing her throat, she shook her head and waved Ray off. "That's okay, that's okay," she said, sounding a bit nasally as she tried not to breathe through her nose anymore, "just wasn't expecting it."

At Ray's offer of some bandaging, Aurelia paused in consideration. Her eyes glanced up to meet Ray's, which were so sincere and panicked that she almost felt bad for getting hurt. In a sense, she blamed herself. Gotta be sharper next time. Finding a seat, Aurelia lifted the ice from her face and held up her nose for Ray to examine. It looked.. well, it looked like it had just been elbowed pretty hard. Red, enflamed.

"If you don't mind. I'd appreciate a little help," she answered, and at Ray's next question she gently prodded the area. It stung, the pain watering her eyes. Definitely bruised, but likely nothing serious. "I'll be fine. You sure know how to strike where it hurts, though," she commented.

"It's been a while since someone gave me a nosebleed." She offered a crooked smile at that.
and I've been thinking that when we thought
the world would break us, that we weren't wrong
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

A panther in the night, a fire burning bright.

Ray let out a deep sigh, some of then tension bleeding from her shoulder. "Oh thank fuck." She exhaled, shaking her head slightly. "I think the only reason I managed to land that hit was because you were operating under the whole 'no face strikes' rule' so it was doubly unexpected." Ray replied with a grin.

Ray switched into her healing mentality. Grabbing a wad of gauze she handed it to Aurelia. "Either hold this to your nose to catch the blood or place two small pieces inside. Whichever you're more comfortable with." She instructed. Putting on her medical gloves and grabbing some more gauze, Ray got to work. Using some alcohol she cleaned the injury before she gently prodded Aurelia's nose to line it up properly. taking two strips of gauze she placed one one each side to support Aurelia's nose.  Ray then took some medical tape to secure the gauze pieces into place to ensure that her nose would heal properly and to minimize the pain.

Ray then stepped back and eyed her work, nodding in satisfaction. "Looks good. Change the bandages twice a day. If it gets worse come find me at my shop or go to a doctor." Ray then grabbed a small tin from her bag. "This is a herb blend that minimizes pain. You can make tea out of it if you'd like, though limit your dosage to a single pinch and only take it twice a day. It might make you sleepy." Ray instructed.

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia shrugged. "Maybe," she mumbled as she attempted to keep her nose from dripping blood everywhere. Or maybe it's because I'm just not myself lately, was a thought that occurred to her in that moment, not to say Ray shouldn't be able to land hits against her. But the spar had been a pretty pathetic display of her own skills, missing nearly all of her own hits.

Regardless, she tilted her head back and pressed the pieces into her nostril, containing the flow of blood there, and let Ray set to work. She worked with diligence and well-practiced hands, which came as quite the surprise to Aurelia. Typically a person was a healer or a fighter, not both, though suppose there's no rule against it. Most people wanted to be one or the other, if they wanted to be either of those things at all... but both? Color her impressed. "Thanks," she blinked, poking the bandaging tentatively.

At the offer of an herbal blend, which Ray conjured up from what looked to be her own personal belongings, Aurelia's brows furrowed in some mixture of intrigue. She took the tin into her hand and examined the blend inside with care. "You have a shop? So you make... stuff like this and sell it?" She asked, which was more of a conclusion.

Most of Aurelia's medical knowledge was crude, limited to pressure, bandaging, and stitches - though, if she was the one that had to do them, the scar they left behind would not be pretty. Her style of taking care of injures was more of a 'it gets the job done' kind of thing. Herbs were a completely foreign subject to her, having always had someone, like Ray, to instruct her on their use. She snapped the tin closed and held it back out to her, "Here, it'll go to waste on me. It's just a nosebleed, after all. Thank you, though."
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Ray nodded, putting her extra supplies away, as well as the offered tin.  "Yup! A spice and herb shop in Haulani. I sell them dried or raw as well as blends for both cooking and healing." She explained fondly. Ray adored her shop and took great pride in her work there. "It also tends to be where some people go for basic injuries and colds too. I'm about this close to adding an infirmary to the back." Ray added, showing her fingers just a hair's breadth apart of each other.

"You'd think people would just go to a doctor but for some reason they just love to show up the back of my shop in the middle of the night. I do what I can and at this point I'm used to it. But I swear if another drunk teenager knocks on my door because their buddy tripped and broke their arm or face or whatever, I'm going to scream." Ray shook her head with exasperation. "It's honestly getting ridiculous."

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia's brows knitted together as she took in the information, clearly thinking about something. Well, a few things. One, Saiden might appreciate some special herbs for cooking. Two, she should probably learn a bit more about how to use them for pain and such. She lifted her brows out of her thoughts when Ray explained how drunk teenagers came to her for broken bones instead of just going to a doctor. A smile made its way across her lips. Although, as it widened, it hurt her nose so it faltered accordingly. She chuckled quietly in spite of the pain.

"Sorry to disappoint but, I won't show up drunk in the middle of night," she joked, "unless, of course, I find out this is broken." She gestured vaguely towards her nose. More seriously, she went on, "Sounds like a nice little set up you've got, I'll have to come and get a few things there later on. I know a guy that likes to cook."

"What sort of stuff do you accept in exchange for your herbs? I'm pretty good with my hands, so... if you need any help building that infirmary - or patching something up, I wouldn't mind." She was asking more for future reference, so she might prepare a trade beforehand. "I also work on the Ark, so... I'm sure we could figure something out if I ever need anything from you." Her eyes focused on Ray's expression, testing to see if she knew about the ship and its dealings or not.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

"You better not! There's only so much drunken bullshit that I can handle." Ray shook her head with mock exasperation. She glanced at Aurelia's nose. "I don't think it's broken but definitely get it looked at. And you're welcome to stop by any time. I've got plenty of spices for any kind of cuisine. I'm sure you're friend would love some."

Ray smiled at the offer. "If I do ever decide to build one I'd appreciate the help. As for patching, thankfully people tend to leave my shop out of their mayhem." She chuckled at that. At the mention of price, she grew a bit somber. "My prices vary greatly depending on need, difficulty to make or acquire, and other factors."

She sat down before continuing. "When it comes to a matter of life and death, I'll accept just an update on the victim's recovery or a tiny favor as those cures are often valuable. People who are already struggling to  get by often pay me back with a homecooked meal or item. And anyone can pay off any price by helping me around the shop. But for the average customer it's always something of equal value or multiple things that add up to it.  A favor, an item, information, etc." Ray explained her pricing in detail. Some of her wares were easy to barter, but the more rare, volatile, or complex ones always led to negotiating. She did her best to be fair though.

At the mention of the Ark, Ray grinned mischievously. "Oh? Well then we'll have no trouble at all coming up with something should the need arise. There are many things that one can do with herbs. Some of the more interesting ones I sometimes make rely on the Ark for transport." she explained.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia huffed out a controlled laugh - after all, didn't want to agitate her injury. She shrugged off Ray's concern with another wave of her hand, leaning back in the chair she sat in to better relax. At the mention of having plenty of spices for cuisines, Aurelia's gaze sparked with excitement. "Well, I hope you have mixes with peppers in 'em. He likes spicy food, I think."

She nodded deeply, shrugging her hands out, understanding that there wasn't likely to be immediate work for her to do. However, eventually was the point there. There was likely to be something to fix or build or even fight, in the future. But her green gaze blinked wider with interest as Ray explained how she traded goods for services - or other goods. The word 'information' made Aurelia's brows raise, if only briefly. Interesting. So Ray, basically, accepted anything in return for her services, and she seemed willing to work with her customers. Well, that certainly made things easier.

However, it seemed that Ray was already tangled up in dealings with the Ark, which grew an amused smile across Aurelia's face. Of course. The Ark was likely to have many deals spread across the entirety of Tochline. She shouldn't be so surprised by this fact. However, it did garner a special sort of interest... that, should she merely mention that she worked on it to the right people, it might prove to be beneficial. She might be able to profit off of such connections. Not that Aurelia was an extremely advantageous person but, it was good to know, should she ever find herself in a situation of need.

"Well, I'm around. If you ever need an extra pair of hands - or fists - I'd be glad to help. Even outside of trading. A friend of the Ark is a friend of mine, after all," her smile fell into one that was more casual, more receptive. "If those teenagers, or anyone, ever bothers you too much, don't hesitate to come call for one of us. I'm sure there's plenty of us that wouldn't mind dishing out reality checks to those that need 'em. I know how people can get," she rolled her eyes in exaggeration of her point, "taking advantage, overstepping boundaries. Shit like that."
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray put a mock offended hand over her heart. "Peppers? Of course! I have a wide selection of mixes that can burn a tongue off. How dare you assume my shop could lack anything." She said dramatically before breaking into chuckles. In reality though, there many mixes of a wide variety of cuisines and spice levels. Anyone could likely find something that they liked there.

Ray felt a small smile come to her lips at the offer. "Thank you. I'll let you know if I ever need anything." The offer was appreciated. Sometimes Ray forgot that she had allies out there. Her grin became mischievous before she could turn sappy. "Feel free to come through the back of my shop sometime. Your coworkers tend to hang out there and gossip. As for the Ark coming to my aid, well glad to know I have an army at my disposal."

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia chuckled off the feigned offense. Though she appreciated the jesting, and she made a mental note to go by Ray's shop later to fetch some cooking herbs, she let the conversation transition. Truth be told, she didn't know what much to expect of it, and Aurelia would apparently rather expect less than more; that way, she could only be pleasantly surprised if she was wrong. She supposed, for a brief moment of reflection, that she applied such a view to most aspects of life.

She gave a brief nod at Ray's appreciation of her offer. She tried to pretend to be interested in the gossip that Ray said went on in the back of her shop but, truth be told, Aurelia had put her hand in something to do with Caido's... never-ending plot already. And she'd already messed that up, so... she wasn't real sure if she wanted to stick her nose into anything much else. Not now, anyway, not unless it was asked of her by someone she trusted.

"An army? Well," Aurelia laughed lightly, "I didn't quite say that. I can only really speak for myself but... they're good people, the crew... and you seem like good people, too. Aren't we supposed to stick together?" She shrugged, unsure, "Or something like that."

"So, I'm pretty sure," she stood up, wandering back towards the kitchenette a few feet away, "thaat... Sunjata keeps a bottle in here.. somewhere." Fishing around in a few of the cabinets and even the fridge, she managed to come up with a small bottle of amber fluid. It was already opened. "Care for a drink with me before I go?" She arched a brow over at Ray.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

A small smile came to Ray's face. "Yes. Good people have to stick together. There's not enough of us to begin with, much less in Torchline. If we don't watch each other's backs, who will? And if you ever need me, I'm more than willing to help." She meant every word. Ray was always willing to lend a hand to those in need, especially for her friends and allies.

Ray chuckled, her grin turning devious as Aurelia mentioned Sunjata's stash. "Why am I not surprised? If it's hidden, it's likely a good one too. Let's find it. I'd love to join you for a drink. We can leave a note where we found it too. Something like 'Thanks for the drink!' would be fun."

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia was startled by the extension of help that Ray mirrored back to her. Everyone in Torchline acted like extended friendships and helping hands was so natural and normal, which was great. But Aurelia didn't grow up in a place like that. She had to admit that, while it completely suited her, it could be strangely disarming. It was easier to handle the unfriendly, unsavory types because she could shoulder their sharp tongues and handle their selfish motives. Could even predict it, she knew it so well.

All she could do was smile happily at Ray and give her a nod, "Thanks."

Aurelia presented the stowed bottle of alcohol with a more relaxed, less deep-in-thought grin. "Alright, grab us some glasses and I'll write the note," she gestured towards a cabinet that was closer to Ray. After she scribbled a note and left it in the place where she'd found the bottle, she discarded the wads stuffed into her nostrils. To her relief, her nose had stopped bleeding and it would probably be fine if she left it alone. She'd leave the tape, though, since she imagined it was doing something to help.

"So," once Ray retrieved the glasses, she poured their drinks, "what are you?" She lifted the glasses and offered one out to the other woman, quickly adding, "I mean- do you have any abilities? Magic? Everyone here seems to."
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray accepted the offered drink and took a sip before replying. "Everyone really does here, don't they? I'm an Attuned with a black panther shift. So if you ever need help on a stealth mission, hit me up." A smirk that was slightly exasperated stretched across her face. "Of course when Sunjata saw, he shifted into his own. Smug bastard." She shook her head slightly, her tone portraying only fondness.

Ray relaxed in her seat, enjoying her drink. It was nice to just relax for once. "What about you? What tricks are you hiding up your sleeve?" She asked playfully with obvious curiosity. Aurelia gave the impression of being highly capable, but Ray wasn't sure what that capability was in. Magic? Shape-shifting? Something else?

r a y

—Albert Camus

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia took a few sips of the drink herself, finding the taste familiar. She must've drank it before; perhaps it was the same bottle as the last one they'd shared here at the Slagveld. Anyway, back to the conversation, she lifts her gaze up from her glass in surprise at Ray's reveal. "Oh, another Attuned. Grreeeat," she scoffed, though it was all in good, sarcastic humor. "I don't know if I'll ever get used to seeing a human... shift like that," she explained and shook her head a bit.

"Yep, that's him. Smug bastard," she agreed with a roll of her eyes, less fond of that aspect of his character than Ray was. Mostly because sometimes it got on her nerves, the fucker. Still, though, her expression softened and they returned back to their seats in the living room area.

She wasn't fully prepared for Ray to mirror her question, though she supposed she should've been. It only made sense to ask something like that back. What are you? Tricks she's hiding up her sleeves. She laughs again, although this is something a little more nervous in nature. There are a few but, Aurelia isn't liable to tell. What good is a secret, dark, left behind part of your past if you go and tell everyone?

"I recently found out that I'm an Abandoned. Fire and air," she said finally, tone and face turning grim. "Where I'm from, things like that weren't tolerated. So, forgive me if I don't sound too pleased about it..." She sank back into her drink then, diverting her gaze.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

"I know. There's so many of us it seems. People shifting all over the place. That's go to be disturbing now that I think about it."  Ray noted, chuckling slightly. Truly, if you weren't used to such things, it had to be an odd sight for someone to suddenly become an animal. "Smug, indeed." Ray agreed at Aurelia's description, shaking her head.

She listened as Aurelia talked about her original home, a sad smile on her face. "That has to be a challenge. Becoming something that you've grown up learning to avoid or even hate. I can't even imagine how conflicting that has to be." Truly, such a thing had to hard on the psyche and one's own sense of self-worth.

r a y

—Albert Camus