(SE) One More For the Guild? Maybe?
Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Age: 33 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Tesability Offline
Change author:
MP: 360
Neos
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
"These Acquired...this is a logic leap, but is that what the Abandoned were once called?" It didn't make sense for the Abandoned to always be called that, it sounded like a name earned rather than given. He then hears the name of the Ascended and those eyebrows of his shoot up. "Wait, Ascended? Like mortals rising up to become that of gods Ascended?"

It seems that he's developed a lot of monstrous headaches during the few months he's spent in Caido, due to how logic just right-angles itself in severely confusing ways. If only painkillers existed in this world, because he'd be taking them constantly.

"While it is human nature, no matter what world or reality you go to, to improve themselves and make it so they no longer need to rely on their parents or creators," Neos started to say, both to collect his thoughts and try to think things over. "It is a bit of a flip on nature to straight-up go against them in such a way...unless, they actually didn't...start this fight..."

Then he recalled something said in Halo, to him through an illusion by his other self, that something he found himself verbally repeating while Henry had his attention on the not-quite-fir.

"Jealous gods fight fang and claw against the evolution of this world. It is the nature of children to grow and eventually no longer require their parents' care, but they force humanity to continue suckling from their breasts...was that was he was talking about?" he mused to himself, distracted after hearing a giggle, which caused him to look up in time to see parts of the little tree Henry wasn't touching even shiver slightly. "What in Distortion...? Yeah, I heard that...and no tree I know of could do that..."
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies
This is me
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
So I chase the inbetweens of what I say and what I mean
"Well... both, in a way. The Voice was once an Acquired, before she 'ascended' and became a New God. Other Acquired became what we call Abandoned. And the Voice Ascended more people, people who wished for that. She also is the one bringing people into Caido from other worlds. She's quite powerful... Some say that it's all for selfish reasons, to aid her own agendas. I don't think it's that one-sided," Henry shook his head, "because she's offering people the ability to live forever - at least, they'll never age. They don't feel physical pain, either. That's quite an exchange just for being on her side of things... and from what I've seen of her, she's more than willing to help the Ascended protect themselves."

And Henry would've given it all up for that, too, if it weren't for the fact that it was within his family's own tradition to seek out the Old Gods to Attune them. The debt was already made, an oath to keep. He didn't exactly mind that, either, but now that he was seeing both sides of this... he wasn't sure if he would do it again, if given the chance to start over.

"Oh, they did. They aimed to take control from the Old Gods, suppose it's just a matter of thinking they were right, and the others were wrong. Which went both ways. The war itself wasn't well-documented, I just know it happened and why - and I know the Old Gods, to contain the New ones, trapped them in the dome. You're lucky you arrived here after it was taken down, or you'd be stuck inside of it too. I've spent most of my life in the Hollowed Grounds through no choice of my own because of that barrier."

Whatever Neos mumbles about next goes unnoticed by Henry, now that he's fallen into the ground from surprise. He clears his throat softly, feeling a little embarrassed that he'd jump so hard just because of a sapling. It was odd, though. He shifted to make himself more comfortable on the ground, sitting with his legs criss-crossed, and eyed Neos questioningly. "Trees don't giggle that I know of, either," he said, to clarify that, no- this wasn't a Caido thing. Or maybe it was, now, but Henry would be none the wiser to it than Neos.

Tentatively, Henry reached out to touch it again. This time, he left his hand on it longer, to see if it might retaliate or something. It didn't, but its giggle did heighten as if that really tickled. He pulled back his hand after a little while, after the laughter that filled the air drew a relieved and delighted smile onto his own face. "Seems harmless enough..." He leaned back a little and tilted his head up at Neos, to see what the other man thought.
HENRY
Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Age: 33 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Neos
"...so, because of a select number of people that wanted better than what they had, life which might have been shitty through no fault of their own before going for better, an entire race of people is punished for it. And to top it off, the old gods didn't even bother getting out of this 'dome' the people that didn't even deserve to be imprisoned," Neos said with a minor snarl, trying not to loose his temper more than he needed to, the left half of his upper lip twisting up to reveal what would be a fang if he still had his. Sadly, he still only had normal human teeth, something that he was still getting used to.

Likely assumed all within it were guilty of the same crime.

As much as I hate to admit it, you might be right.

"...largely because of the extreme undocumentation, which might be to make sure that no one can look back and question either side of their fight, I'm getting the feeling that everyone of the gods, on both sides of this fight, sucks on this issue." He then thinks back to something said earlier and shakes his head. "I can get behind extending lifespans, but both making such spans too long as well as making so they won't age has some extreme logistical nightmares that will soon come in at least a couple of hundred years, as least if a significantly more number of whatever they were come to be." He rubbed the back of his neck before adding, "Let's just say I've seen way more than one too many cases of either extremely long lives, or even immortality itself, causing more problems than they're worth."

In regards to the tree in front of them, a sideways frown appeared as Henry showed the giggling tree attention. He began to walk around the tree himself, to get a look around the whole thing...when he noticed a little spot of red within the branches. Neos knelt down to get a better look, but once he did, he saw the red thing shimmer a slight bit from the light that hit it. It looked around and had a gold point at the top hooking it onto the little branch.

It looked like... "...there's a bauble on this tree," Neos said with widened eyes.
I make no apologies
This is me
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Henry didn't have much time to think on Neos' words, or how true they were, because they had stumbled upon something new. He could appreciate the man's passion for morality and philosophy, though, and it was definitely a conversation he wanted to resume as soon as possible. But, for now, he remained mostly-silent as they pondered over the sapling that seemed to have appeared out of thin air. Henry had walked the city streets in Haulani many times, enough to know that this was new.

He watched as Neos focused on something he couldn't see from his current angle. Getting up, he walked over slowly to take a look at whatever it was, half-wondering if it was something bad. Only, what appeared was nothing bad at all. It was just a little red... bauble, like Neos said.

Henry tilted his head and let out a perplexed "Huh." He looked up at Neos and shrugged, "Seems like someone's already taken to it, and it looks to be fairing surprisingly well...given the climate." He reached his hand out to feel the branches and leaves one more time, as if to confirm his thoughts. The sapling giggled again and he pulled away. "Kinda cute, don't you think?" He smirked.

Thinking back on what Neos had said before about immortality and 'logistical nightmares', in his words, Henry pondered something aloud, "Not that I disagree with your points, but there's benefits of having a body that won't die with time. You don't have to experience a slow death, for one," he smiles sadly at that point, knowing what that looks like and knowing that that isn't something to be celebrated either. "Sure, you can potentially live forever, but I think most of the Ascended take a lot of risks for their people, for the Voice. They can still die, they're not... invulnerable. They just don't age." He placed his hands in his pockets and looked back over at the sapling with a thoughtful expression. "I doubt they ascend purely for the potential of more time. They want to be apart of something bigger. I mean, aren't we all searching for something bigger? Some legacy to leave behind? At some point, you have to draw a line in the sand and choose, right?"
HENRY
Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Change author:
Neos
Neos took an uncomfortable amount of time to think on how to answer Henry's last question, thinking back on all of his travels, of the multiple times that he had been on a side of a fight and the answer had been clear which was the right answer.

This time, in this world, there was no clear right answer as to who was in the right on this godly fight...and he hated it. He hated that he didn't know what side of this fight to be on, which side would be better for this world as a whole.

"...the problem is, I have no idea which side to choose on this," he finally admitted, running a hand through his hair after taking off the hat for a moment. "And it's pissing me off," he added with a near-roar in his voice, leaning back so he would end up doing so into the air instead of at Henry, before straightening back up. "Both sides of this fight, which I can already see will have long-reaching consequences, appear as equal parts villain and hero, it seems..."

He puts his hat back on after removing hand from hair, taking a deep sigh. "...sorry. With the number of times I ended up playing 'hero', I've never had to figure out for myself which side was the right one, it was always pretty clear. I'm afraid of choosing the wrong one...and aid in dooming this world."

Neos would swear he heard the sound of someone munching popcorn in the back of his head...
I make no apologies
This is me
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry tilts his head a little, understanding, empathetic. He feels the same, for the most part. He's just trying to do what he can to help where he can, judging things based on the situation at hand. If it's wrong, then it's wrong - it doesn't really matter what side of the coin you're on at that point.

Neos' anger is palpable, the rise of his voice making Henry flinch a little. He does appreciate that Neos makes an effort not to direct it at him, at least. After all, it's not really either of their faults.

Henry brings a hand up to brush it through his brown locks, letting out a thoughtful, deep sigh. "No need to apologize," he offers a small, reassuring smile, though it doesn't reach his eyes. Too many thoughts shuffle through his mind for him to really feel humorous. "I know it must be hard." To be suddenly throttled into this world, and have to figure out a side to choose among all of this political, religious, moral strife. "I'm sorry, I was being... contrary on purpose, I suppose. For the sake of conversation. I should've been a little more sensitive to the fact that you're not really from here, and all of this may not really.. seem like your problem!" He shrugs, understanding. Even if Neos didn't specifically feel that way, it was true anyway. "You don't have to choose a side, Neos. Just do what you think is right when the opportunity presents itself. The sides will sort themselves out," He looks down, gaze turning darker, "whether you want them to or not."
HENRY
Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Change author:
Neos
"...for everyone's sakes, I hope it doesn't settle in a way that dooms this world," he finally said, shaking his head before bringing a palm to his forehead.

Always concerned about what you shouldn't bother with...

A sudden grimace fell upon his face as he straightened back up, his expression then settling into a sorrowful one. "It's not that easy, Henry," he said with a sigh, looking all around before settling his gaze back on the tree. "While it isn't obvious here, ingenuity is a key aspect of humanity in every world and multiverse I've been through...and I do mean figuring out how to do various tasks for the sake of ease, survival or even both." He knelt down on one knee, allowing his fingers to 'pet' the giggling fir on one side. "Where I was originally from, humans made a lot of headway in regards to what they can do, even with the lack of magic in the same vein as the Abandoned."

Neos then looked up towards the sky above before adding, "Even going as far as exploring the stars above, believe it or not."

(Sorry this took so long.)
I make no apologies
This is me
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
It is that easy, he wants to say, wants to grab people by the shoulders and shake them until they realize it. If the gods can be ever-changing with wills that are unfathomable, then so can people. Why do they have to always be on one side or the other? Why can't there be exceptions, situations, where being so one-sided is impractical? Hasn't everyone had to meet the other side in the middle at some point in history?

Henry's not sure what Neos proceeds to go on about, not until he makes remarks about humans exploring the stars. He nearly jumps forward, nearly reaches for Neos with outstretched palms. Instead, he simply raises his hand to grasp the other man's attention.

"Would you want to do that here? Explore the stars? You could still help Caido... in a different way. After all, nothing's black and white. Nothing's that easy. You're the one who said that, not me," he shrugs his shoulders, "if the most you can do is share your knowledge and help us expand, wouldn't that be good enough? Might feel better than sitting around and worrying about it all..."

Henry certainly thought so. It's high time Outlanders were appreciated for their unique knowledge and experiences, rather than ostricized or even discarded.
HENRY
Neos Rivetter
Explorer/Storyteller

Change author:
Neos
Bright eyes moved to look towards moving the hand, stopping himself from wanting to bite at the motion once his gaze was returned. "...you...almost lost your hand there," he muttered with a sigh, covering his face with his hands.

As if it would do you any good, digesting human meat is toxic in large quantities.

A minor snarl left him at that mental reminder before pulling his hands off, soon returning to a standing position. "Would I want to? Yeah, but it took some of the brightest minds back home to figure out how to get off Earth and survive in outer space." He looked back up towards the sky above before adding, "if out there is anything like in other realities, even the Ascended would have a insane time dealing with the cold and complete lack of air. A human would actually explode and boil up from their own body heat without any form of protection."

He then looked back down towards Henry and gave a small chuckle as he rubbed the back of his neck under the turtleneck sweater he wore. "But that could always be a side project for another time, I'm guessing..."

"Also..." Neos then looked back down before leaning forward to make sure it was just the two Attuned that could hear the next cryptic words as he looked Henry right in the eyes. "People can change...but it can be difficult to do so if say...you're an animal unintentionally trained to be one way over another after so many years."
I make no apologies
This is me
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry lets out an easy rumble of a laugh, which fades into a highly concerned expression when Neos goes on to explain what happens if a human goes into outer space without 'protection'. When Neos chuckles and says it could be a side project, Henry reflects his humor and shakes his head a little, "Well, we don't need to go to space just yet, I don't think. I like looking at the stars from right here, with my feet on the ground. You know?" He offers a reassuring smile.

But he pauses before continuing to let Neos speak. He nods in clear understanding, though the animal part kind of confuses him. Was Neos comparing people to animals? Henry didn't want to think so, but he's not too sure.

Well. Anyways, that's not the point.

"I think they're afraid of change," he points out, lowering his own voice too, "Hell, I like change, I want change - but I still get scared of it." He lowers his gaze thoughtfully for a moment, letting that sad truth ring through. "But what I meant was, you could do that. Explore, use your knowledge for something good here. If you wanted to use it for that, at least. I'm trying to get an Explorer's Guild started in Flowerbirth... you could join us."

But it's getting late and Henry's getting tired, as much as he'd love to continue their conversation. So with that in mind, and not wanting to apply any undue pressure to Neos, he adds, "You don't have to give me an answer right away. You can always find me later."

With that, he bids the other attuned a good night.

fin~!
HENRY