Curiosity killed the Outlander
Jeremy Georgian
Philosopher

Age: 59 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 8 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
JEREMY
I picked up a bar tab and drank myself stupid;
I flirted with strangers just to feel attractive

Jeremy considered it, trying not to think of his and Diana's wedding. Paper flowers and her mother's dress, his family looking on disapproving from the aisle as air raid sirens marked the end of the ceremony...his military uniform looking so crisp in the photos but feeling so constricting... "Well...legally you gotta be 16 to get married. But most people don't 'til they're about 20. I was 26. But I didn't even want to. We had to for the war...didn't know how long I'd last, and I didn't want Diana to be left an unmarried widow."

She chatted freely and easily about Alchemy. As her sunny voice continued Jeremy felt his brows sink lower and lower in confusion. This place really was wacky. "A lotta people did die. But the hospitals are getting better all the time, so they tell me."

It was pretty common for people back home to not know the word 'robot' either, as it had been a relatively new addition to the vocabulary. "An Automaton. Man made of metal, works on clockwork and machinery. They say they'll be able to make ones so good one day you can't tell the difference, but I don't think so. You haven't got anythin' like that here, then?"

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
When you need some shelter from the rain, when you need a healer for your pain, I will be there time and time again
”Oh! Sixteen is when people came of age where I am from, too!” she said brightly. Perhaps finding some similarities between their worlds would bring this fellow comfort. But as he described how it was that he came to be married she became a bit more somber and nodded a little. ”Northwind has been at war with the surrounding kingdoms for…centuries as far as I know. It was fairly common for people to marry before someone was sent on campaign.” she said, glancing up at her. ”Did you love Diane, though, despite the circumstances?” she asked. Certainly he had cared enough about her to think of how she would fare if he died to have married her regardless of his trepidation for it.

”Well I should hope so if you didn’t have healers for your sick or wounded.” she said with a small smile. ”Of course, I am not one to talk. I don’t have healing abilities myself so everything I do is done the old fashioned way. Though it would be much better to have a healer around if I have to perform another cesarean section. I can do it, it’s just so risky!” she said, prattling on.

But the prattling was stopped when he used another word she didn’t know to describe the first word she didn’t know. ”Aut-o-mat-what?” she said, feeling a little dumb. Some of what he said she could visualize but she definitely did not understand it. A man made out of metal with clock gears? She shook her head. ”Not that I know of, no. It sounds a bit…fantastical. A metal man? Why would anyone need or want that?” she said, looking back at her work as she had some rather complicated stitches coming up. ”Wouldn’t that metal be better used making armor for your soldiers? Or weapons?”
Jeremy Georgian
Philosopher

Age: 59 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Change author:
JEREMY

"Diana. Yes, I love the heck outta her. She's a fierce woman. She tells me off when I need it." He laughed softly, trying not to think about what Diana would have to say about his trip to the Rathskeller as soon as he had arrived here. "But us getting married really pissed off both of our families. Hers because she was marrying some haughty rich kid, mine cos I was marrying some poor girl without a name." He shrugged. "But I don't regret it. They're assholes anyway."

Jeremy supposed C-sections would be the job of a midwife, but it was hard to imagine the young woman doing something quite so serious. "Sometimes, old fashioned does the job." Was all he said, though he wasn't sure he believed it - he had always been one for advancement.

"Sounds fantastical? Ha. And magic doesn't?" He took another bite of the muffin while he considered the purpose of robots. "Well. They think eventually the machines could do human jobs. You know, shovel the shit, mine the coal, stuff like that. So we can lay back and do whatever we want instead. Maybe they could even fight the wars for us."

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
When you need some shelter from the rain, when you need a healer for your pain, I will be there time and time again
Phoebe's expression fell a little as Jeremy explained the difficulties between himself and his wife's family. "Ah. I see." she said quietly, focusing in on her sewing. She was quiet for a moment, but did explain her sudden drop in demeanor. "I know what that is like in a way. I'm from a commoner family. But I was sponsored to attend finishing school by a Duke when I was eleven because I assisted his wife with a particularly difficult labor as my mentor was with another laboring woman...and I ended up saving her life in the process. It was his...thanks to a girl with nothing so I might know how to better conduct myself in high society." Her nose wrinkled a little. She definitely understood the backhanded compliment, and even had when she was younger. "But that just meant I was the only common girl at the school. The only one with homemade, simple dresses. The only one without fancy jewelry or makeup. The only one who had an accent." And accent he might note that was obviously trained out of her since she spoke in a very well-groomed manner now. "But I am not fierce like your Diana I suppose. I am not very good at telling people off most of the time." she said with a small smile, finally looking up at him.

"It is nice to hear that there are still some well-to-do folk out there who don't look down their noses at people like me."

Phoebe laughed a bit. "Magic is fantastical! To see someone call down lightning from the sky and bend to their whim - I wouldn't dare call it anything else!" she said with a grin. Machines to fight wars so people could do whatever they wanted? "It sounds like an idealist's sort of world. Unfortunately even with...auto-bots or whatever they are called...there will always be people willing to pick up a blade for ill-intent." she said. Thought generally positive, Phoebe had her feet firmly planted in reality. She had to. A midwife who believed in folly and looked through rose-colored glasses would be a poor one indeed.

She held up what she was working on to examine it. By now it obviously resembled a cloak that just needed some edging to keep the ends from unraveling. "Here! Try this on." she said.
Jeremy Georgian
Philosopher

Change author:
JEREMY

He listened to Phoebe's story as he took a chance to drink and eat. Commoner girl makes good by delivering baby wasn't the most average story, but he could predict the ending: Still unsatisfactory. Jeremy knew well enough how the people around his family had acted about his wife, how they had sneered at her mannerisms and traditions.

"If anyone gives you trouble 'bout what family you get born in, they're cunts. Simple as that. ...Sorry. Language." He said, unsure if she would even recognise the swear.

An idealist's world to him was one where magic could exist. He wondered if he'd ever get to study any of it. His sceptical side thought Phoebe was a young woman suckered into illusions and tricks. He had seen many people convinced that aliens existed, that placebos worked...he would believe magic when he had a chance to see it.

But he wouldn't voice that to Phoebe, not when she was being so kind; he took the fabric from her and held it up in front of him before standing up to try it on. "You made this for me? It's not my usual style but...thanks. It'll keep me warm."