rorschach the pieces that i lack
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MILO
island smiles and cardigans
these nights that we've been drinking in
There’s something to be said about being Abandoned and yet not being alone. He doesn’t know how much Aurelia knows of the Abandoned and the history of them here – but it had never been something Milo’s chosen. No, if given the chance he thinks he would’ve attuned one day, or remained Accepted, to get closer to the gods rather than to be cast away.

But life had other plans for the smuggler, and while the rest of his family had been Accepted and some had attuned, Milo had been left behind unable to do both. Perhaps that’s just one more reason why he couldn’t relate to his family – he’d been the outcast, he’d been the cursed, he’d been abandoned long before.

He catches her hand, some sort of excitement coming over him despite her insecurities of it, and it isn’t until she explains she’ll have to muscle through it and tells him what her ability is that his smile falters.  “Oh.” He says abruptly, bluntly, pulling her in as she rests her chin against his shoulder, making it so he can pull her in against him and try to offer what he could to soothe her. “I think it’s all’a cosmic joke, t’be honest.” He murmurs, tilting his head so he can press his cheek against her hair.

’ts not like we chose t’become this. Cursed by th’gods, abandoned by ‘em too.” He sighs, closing his eyes, wrapping his arms around her middle. “’m sorry it had t’be fire. ‘m sorry ya got t’deal with this too.
we're here to help you kill all of this hurt
that you've been harboring
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
maybe that's enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity
perhaps wisdom is realizing how small I am, and unwise
Aurelia set her plate aside so she could shuffle closer to him as he pulled her in, until her hip was brushing his and she could more comfortably lean into him. She chuckled darkly at the thought that everything was a cosmic joke, chiming in with a sarcastic "Yeah, and the Gods have a terrible sense of humor."

She let her irritation simmer and peter out as a grim, hard line formed along her lips. The words he said were also words she was thinking. It helped, though. It was calming to hear someone else say them out loud. Knowing that she wasn't alone in this made it all that much easier to handle. She let her arms

There was nothing left of once spirited anger but a sigh, which she aimed into his red shirt before pressing to it a gentle, appreciative nuzzle. She wasn't so quick to forget that he seemed thrilled to hear she was Abandoned, too. "It's okay," she lifted up her face so that it was free of the fabrics of his shirt. "Things aren't so bad." For a moment, she held a genuine smile up at him and ruffled a bit of his hair with one hand. But then her eyes pulled reluctantly away, her smile disappeared, and she leaned back from him.

"I know it's different here, and that magic's not what I thought it was. I know that, I do, but my instincts are harder to change. Magic is what killed my father and took me away from my sisters, and it was engrained into me from a young age that it was this evil, taboo thing to fear and hate. I've believed that and lived that for so long..." her throat felt dry and scathed as those words came out, not intending to be hurtful but, it was the truth. "How could I use fire to help anyone? I don't even know how to use my abilities, anyway." She shrugged her shoulders and stifled a scoff aimed at herself, a sharp breath leaving her nose.
and how far I have yet to go
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO
Worst I’ve ever heard.” He murmurs softly as she leans into him more comfortably. His arms wrap around her, holding her close to him, letting her rage and burn out should she wish it. He remains there while she nuzzles her head into the shirt he wears, settling easily enough when she moves to lift her head and smiles, ruffling a bit of his red hair. “Could be worse, t’be honest.” He agrees, perhaps a fraction more grimly thank the smile and softness she offers him.

But she pulls away and he lets her go for the most part, his arm loosening and moving so his hand can rest on her leg as she leans away from him. Milo gives her his full attention as she continues, to try and understand what it might be like for her to have this surprise, this unwelcomed fact. His hand lifts to her arm, to try and offer soothing touches while he mulls over what she says. He can’t quite relate to it, but he can understand what kind of toll that might take.

He’s willing to help her shoulder the weight of the burden, should she let him.

’m sure it’s hard t’swallow.” He agrees softly, a hint morosely, but he focuses on her and her shrug, the scoff that colors the air. “You could train. I could help.” He begins, tentatively. “Better t’learn how t’use it jus’ incase.” Another brief pause, honeyed gaze scanning her face as he offers his next bit of help and advice. “Y’can use fire t’destroy ‘r you can use it t’grow. If a fire broke out on th’Ark, fer example, you’d b’able t’suffocate it usin’ yer magic rather than tryin’ t’put it out…” That was just one example, his mind already whirling away with others.

But he waits, waits to see how she takes it as he reaches for the bottle again.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
maybe that's enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity
Her gaze traveled up the length of his arm, up to his now darkened eyes; sullen with the weight she had just placed upon him. A knot tied in her stomach. He didn't deserve her burdens. Her brows pressed in concern and she hovered slightly toward him, thinking about telling him to forget about it - not to worry. Of course, such a sentiment would hold little weight now, now that she'd already revealed how she felt. Anything she might've tried to say to take it back fell to the wayside.

Milo had his own take and advice to offer, though. Her expression relaxed as she realized what he was saying, her head tilting back and gaze thoughtfully traveling. The thought of being able to help should a situation like that arise made something spark in her mind. He'd just connected two dots effortlessly, yet she hadn't been able to even fathom such a connection.

A smile curved at the edge of one side of her mouth and she cast a knowing smirk at him. She remained silent as he sipped from the bottle again, letting him take his fill from it before she reached out to take a sip of her own again.

"You're right," she stated hoarsely, wincing from the slap of alcohol against the back of her throat. She took a moment to clear it before going on, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to..." She grimaced at him and gestured vaguely with one hand, having a hard time finding the words to express exactly what she didn't mean to do. Ruin the moment? Eh.

Her expression softened as she resigned from whatever the point was. Her hand moved up to the back of his neck, fingers tracing soft lines there. A soft breath huffed out from her nose and a small, hopeful smile attempted to smooth things over, "I'd like that, actually. If you don't mind helping me, that would be great... I should learn how to control it, at the very least." You know, so it doesn't randomly erupt in tandem with her emotions... Not that that's happened before. Totally not.

After a few moments, a gust of wind passed through the cathedral. Aurelia glanced up as it happened, the melody whistling out a gentle tune and the darkness of the passed sunset settling around them. It ebbed and flowed with the wind, growing louder and more melancholic before ending on a whimsical note. In that moment, she found that she didn't even want to leave now that she was here, didn't care if the sandbar became swallowed up.

Clearing her throat softly, pointedly, she offered back the bottle with a questioning look. If he wanted more, she'd let him take it - if not, she'd place it off to the side. Then, she'd retrieve her plate and point out, "Right, so, uh... Raptors! Is that where we were?" She picked up her fork and gave him a cheerful look.

Using the fork to make gestures through the air, she began to attempt to describe what they looked like, "So, they're like really big lizards. The size of a big dog, give or take. They have four legs, but the front ones are real small and... basically useless, so they just move on their back legs - but don't be fooled! They can zip around faster than you'd expect, and they can jump really high. Well, anyway... they don't make for good food - or company, that's for sure. In case you were wondering," She paused briefly, giving him a slightly narrowed look, "that's what gave me such nasty scars around my hip." She gave the location a good old pat. Then, completely unbothered by this tidbit about herself, she proceeded to take in a mouthful of food. She was trying to reassert a casual atmosphere, refusing to let anything ruin this night. Even herself. She only hoped Milo felt the same.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
He hands the bottle to her after he’s done taking a sip, settling down and letting his gaze flicker over her when she winces from the drink and apologizes for her reaction. “’ts okay.” He murmurs, offering her an easier smile, something softer and almost boyish, a hand waving to gesture as if it didn’t matter all that much. No offense taken, not really. He understood – because he hadn’t wanted to be like this either and it’d just happened one day. One day he thought he was completely fine, Accepted and normal, until he wasn’t. Until he was summoning a rabbit when he’d gotten lost and had to stay out in the jungle all night, just so he wasn’t alone.

He doesn’t utter those thoughts, though, his head tilting back as if he’s considering it quite hard, even if his mind is already made up. “I don’ mind.” He agrees honestly, tilting his head again to look at her with a shrug of a shoulder. “I don’ got much, jus’ the summonin’ as far as I know.” A shrug granted to that. He can feel something else in there, but he doesn’t know what it is, hasn’t tried to reach out for it. Hasn’t tried to do anything with it.

For now, anyway.

Music starts again and Milo leans forward when she moves to grab her plate again, Milo following suit to work on finishing his plate, listening as she explains and watches while she gestures with the fork. There’s amusement gleaming in his gaze, in the nearly permanent soft smile on his lips. It falters a bit as she speaks of the scars, his mind trying to imagine it the best he can. “Why’ve they got four legs if only they can use two’a ‘em?” A red brow raises with the question.

Then another comes to mind. “D’they got sharp teeth ‘r somethin’?” This confuses him, it’s the only thing he can imagine that would make sense for a creature, unless of course there were other… Worse ones, out there. The thought has him swallowing the bite of food a bit harder than he needs to, a quiet gulp offered.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
His smile returned to his features and that alone helped to soothe the worries that cramped her brows together. She let herself relax into the night that Milo had created for them, feeling her blood rush and cheeks flush from the booze. The stiffness of her stress melted away, warded off by the welcome comfort of kinship and understanding. Such things were more of a foreign concept to her than she'd like to admit.

She recognized the jest in his "decision-making" process with a brief, knowing grin. Her hand reached up to poke a playful finger into his cheek. However, a more earnest expression befell hers and she said with finality, "You got plenty." It was a sentiment that stretched beyond Abandoned abilities, which she also addressed: "You want to help. That's more than enough..." her fingers reached up to gently right a stray tuft of his hair, which she had undone herself, "I look forward to it."

The questions he posed brought memories to the surface; figments of a past life that were still somehow so very real to her - but only her. A surreal realization. But, nonetheless, she let out a quiet, scoffing laugh. "Nooo, they just tried to gum me to death!" Her gaze was wrinkled by the grin that crossed over her face. "Yes, they had sharp teeth. Their front legs had some use. They use 'em to grab onto ya!"

At that, she set down her now-finished plate and pushed her forefingers into 'claws'. She leaned over and 'hooked' them into him. Her fingers then gripped the hem of his shirt, pulling him towards her. For a moment, she lost the point in his copper gaze and that already so familiar, warm, charming smile. But she let go, looking away, as she recalled, "They almost made a meal of me. Luckily, my partner was there to save my stupid ass. I guess that's got something to do with why I don't like 'em." She smirked over at Milo.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
’Course I wanna help.”  He says softly, his gaze flickering down toward hers, at the hand that pokes him and then shifts to right his hair, one had had been meticulous in trying to contain and keep together just enough for the night to get started on the right foot. There’s a playful edge to his smile now, his hand lifting to try and grasp her hand gently as she withdraws it. Simply to touch.

As for the rest of it, the bark of laughter that leaves him is loud enough that it echoes off the cathedral they sit within. “Oy, well, I’dunno!” He chimes, hands lifting in a placating gesture,  remaining the same as she puts her plate down, explains they did in fact have sharp teeth, and that their tiny little arms weren’t as useless as he thinks.

She tugs him forward and he goes willingly, a wicked grin forming on his face. “Grabbin’ onto ya with them tiny lil arms?” He asks through another huff of laughter before it falters and he’s peering into her face, those hands still raised shifting so he can reach up to run his hand along her shoulder, to tuck a piece of rogue hair behind her ear. “That sounds fair, t’be honest. Zephs’ hadta do that t’me ‘fore.” A snort leaves him, a shake of his head.

Fer what it’s worth, ‘m glad they didn’t get’cha 'n eat'cha.” The grin he flashes her is wide and bright.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Milo's hand that grasped for hers didn't go ignored or unmatched, her fingers tracing around his palm to hold it. She kept hold of it for as long as she could before they were resuming their meals, the conversation moving back toward something easy and.. reassuring. She poked fun at him and their laughter echoed around the glass cathedral.

She tried to contain some of it as she acted out a bit of an example, but at the words 'tiny lil' arms', she couldn't help the laugh that burst out. "They're very scary, I promise!" She retorted, jokingly defensive.

Making fun of them certainly helped to detract from the fact that they were dangerous predators which had deeply marred her skin. Her laughter faded away as she thought of Seren, her mentor, ally, partner... He'd been like the older brother she never had. Maybe even a father figure in the absence of her own. But more importantly, he'd been her friend. She missed him. That giddiness left her eyes and she brought a hand up, pressing the knuckles against her mouth to hide her weakened smile. I wonder where he is now... I wonder if I'm still living that life with him. Oblivious...

Oblivious to what..? All of this? Her gaze lifted up and her hand lowered, returning Milo's gaze as his hand brushed over her shoulder and pulled a bit of her hair out of her face. Yeah, all of this.

Her smile and her eyes brightened again at the sight of his grin and the words that incited it. She swayed over to playfully bump his shoulder. Only, she stayed there, leaning against him. "Yeah, me too," and that was all she wanted to say but, as her eyes moved about the darkening cathedral, she chuckled, "because that would. have. sucked!"

She turned her face to the sandbar and the coast they'd left behind. The torches burned with their immortal flames, somewhat distant flickers of light. And beyond that, the city, even more distant. Her gaze only lingered on them for a few seconds, though, before it was traveling up along Milo, landing on his face again, unable to tear away from him for very long. She gave him a gentle nudge with her shoulder again. "Alright, enough about me," her brows furrowed curiously, "what'd Zeph have to save you from?"
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Mhm…” He murmurs, playfully unconvinced. But the wink he offers her seems to give the underlining response, the result that he does believe her – to some extent anyway. He can’t imagine what a raptor looks like, but he does know that each time he tries to imagine it, he can’t help but to laugh at the ridiculous imagery that appears in his mind.

He pushes it aside, however, settling into the easier air that surrounds them now, relaxing into the echoing laughter, the warmth of the day dying around them as the night sweeps in and brings cooling temperatures with it – cool sea breezes that billow off the sandbar around them. But his eyes drift back toward her as she bumps his shoulder but remains close, Milo’s arm lifting to wrap around her shoulder and keep her in beside him. “Would’a sucked a lot.” He agrees, huffing a quiet chuckle.

As for the rest of it, though, his free hand is rummaging around the items he’d brought again while she looks around – when her eyes finally land on him again and she nudges him, grasping his attention. “Mmm… Well.. It’sa lil embarrassin’. Don' laugh too hard, 'kay?” He huffs a laugh, prolonging it out as he grabs another one of the pastries, popping it into his mouth before handing the bag with the last two to her with a wink.

Once he’s swallowed his pastry, his head tilts this way and that as if he’s trying to decide where to start. “It’s nothin’ like the rapt’rs… But uh… When I was younger ‘n tryin’ t’get used t’the Fingers I accidentally upset a Hel’s nest.” He leans back a bit, his gaze lifting to the ceiling of the musical cathedral, the grin on his face shifting to something akin to embarrassment. “So a bunch’a ‘em started flyin’ out at me, peckin’ me ‘n shit. I freaked out. Zeph came t’help with a stick ‘r somethin’. Only pissed ‘em off more.” A bright laugh leaves him as his head drops to look at her again. “They’re nasty little bastards. But, anyway, Ended up havin’ t’run outta the tunnels. Couldn’t use that one fer a couple’a months 'til th’babies were grown.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia's curious, pressing expression faded as something more fond and syrupy took its place. Kind of literally, too, as he handed her the bag. She took it happily and retrieved one for herself. Her gaze remained on him, interested in what embarrassing story he had to tell. "C'mon, it can't be that bad," She encouraged him as it became apparent he was thinking about it.

She took the donuts bite-by-bite this time, until they were gone. Personally, she didn't really care if his stories weren't similar to hers. She'd prefer if they weren't, actually, preferred that he hadn't gone through the same shit. All she wanted was to know more about him, about his life. Still, she held the thought in - to an almost souring degree. New or different things are always 'better' or 'more interesting', right... As someone that had lived that different life, she wouldn't wish her experiences on anyone. Except maybe Gideon. (oop)

But she stifled her inner flames, not letting her mind wander from Milo's moving lips. She listened, at first with attentiveness. As his story progressed, she fought off the beginnings of a grin and laughter until he cracked at the story himself. "Okay, maybe it is that bad, but, you-you can't blame me for laughing!" She contended, before he might fault her for it. Once it subsided and the retelling was done, her grin softened into an amused smile.

"Well, just so you know, I don't care if you've had to fight with scary, giant lizards or crazy, tiny birds," She let out a breath of laughter before leaning in even closer to him, "I like hearing about your life," Her voice softened for that moment but, then she pulled back, "but I'm sorry, I can never let you live that down. I mean, wow, Milo." She pulled a straighter face, "Hels? You're lucky you made it out alive!"
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
”C’mon, it can’t be that bad.” Famous last words, he supposes, and yet… it wasn’t that bad. It was simply just embarrassing to one of the highest degrees. And so he tells her the story, awkwardly, his cheeks flushing a bit in slight embarrassment while she bites down on the donuts and listens. And eventually, eventually he gets to the part where it was truly embarrassing, the fact he couldn’t handle a couple of Hels on his own without getting pecked to hell and back.

Still, he knows it’s ridiculous, and he can’t help but to laugh at his own idiocy, the lack of bravery when it came to the birds that often traversed the beaches and Haulani in search of meals. So he laughs, and she laughs as well – cracking just after he does, and he can’t blame her in the slightest. “’ts pretty bad, right?” He offers with a grin, soft chuckles vibrating through him before he takes a deep inhale and shakes his head.

Oy, somm’a these were big Hels!” He says, arms lifting up in a gesture to show her just how big they were. They weren’t really that big, but paired with the wingspan and the anger of those seabirds, made them appear far bigger than they actually were. But he focuses instead, the softness of her voice and the way she leans in, his arm moving to wrap around her shoulders to tuck her in against him. “It’s kinda borin’, but ‘m glad ya do.” He chuckles again, shaking his head and lifting his gaze to the ceiling of the cathedral once more.

And when she tells him that she’s never going to let him live it down he can’t help the playful groan that leaves him, his head lowering and his free hand reaching up to rub at the bridge of his nose. “Listen, one’a ‘em went straight fer m’throat. What was I ‘sposed t’do?” He feigns the whine in his voice, lowering the hand from his nose to peer back at her with a glimmer of amusement in his honeyed gaze.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
His defensive retorts did little to quell her laughter. In fact, he only made things worse in that regard. Her brows quirked up doubtfully at his display of how big they were. "Oh, yeah? Bigger than you?"

"It's not boring!? I've never heard anything like that," She protested with earnest, although she was grinning rather playfully. The way he reacted to her declaration of never letting him live it down, defending himself one last time, the whine in his voice; it all prompted her to laugh and say, "You poor, innocent victim." Her fingers reached up to hold his jaw towards hers. Shutting her eyes, she leaned in and gave him a firm kiss that deepened upon touching, her hand running up behind his ear to hold his lips against hers. Abruptly, she parted from him and murmured, "That should make up for it, hm?"

"So!" She let go of him and leaned back on her hands, propping a leg up against his, "How long do you wanna stay out here for?" She blinked up at him with a knowing smile, "'Cause I think... considering all the food we just ate, we could last... at least a couple of days. Might get washed out to sea few times, though," She pretended to actually consider this, mock concern furrowing her brows and turning her expression into a frown.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Her laughter grows and he’s lost the ability to deny that it was ridiculous, no matter how much he’s tried to. It only quells when she protests, that she decides his upbringing isn’t boring. Which, he supposes given many of the Outlanders he’s seen and heard of, that it made sense they’d likely want a calm, boring, dull life. So he simply sighs, flashing her a playful grin before her hands are on him, lacing up and holding his jaw. “Mhm.” He agrees, muffled by how she holds his jaw.

She leans in for a kiss and he meets her there, an arm slipping around her middle to wrap her closer to him. And then she pulls away, quite abruptly, honestly, and his honeyed gaze peers at her as she comments. A huff of laughter leaves him, shoulders shrugging, a grin spreading across his face. “I ‘spose it does.” He agrees softly before he’s letting her go and she’s letting him go.

The question is met with an easier grin, his head tilting this way and that as if he’s contemplating it. “Good thing I’ma good swimmer then, eh?” He challenges back toward her. “But no, was thinkin’ ‘bout showin’ ya that extra room I got. Be lots more comfortable than the beach.” He grabs a handful of sand, lifting it up and letting it drop from his fingers back into the rest of it before his gaze flickers back toward her.

Provided she accepts it, he moves to go and wrap up everything he’s brought back into the pack – before he stands and offers his hand to help her up so he could wrap up the blanket as well and they could get going before the tide set in again.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia almost forgot the point she intended to make from kissing him, the flirtatious joke that she punctuated it with, because for a moment all she wanted was to melt against him. Even if it was in the sand, again. That want, that lust darkened her gaze as she pulled back from him.

It was blinked away almost immediately, though, as they parted from each other and she softened the space between them with another joke. All smiles and laughter. She didn't think she'd ever smiled this much, not so readily and easily. She'd completely forgotten whatever it was she'd brought up earlier to dim the moment. Well, for now, but she'd hold him to the offer of help later on.

"Were you?" Her words dripped out almost precariously, eyeing him as he peered over at her. "I don't know, I thought we liked the beach?" She tilted her head and frowned thoughtfully down at the sand. Playfully, she smiled and stood up before he even could. Turned out, she was the one to help him up, saying, "Actually, I'd like that. If I have to spend one more night with a bunch of drunken sailors, I think I might just throw 'em all into the sea." A joke, of course. She'd never do that... or would she?

So they sorted the blankets and what remained of the meal before making their way back. Turns out the bottle was rather full, nowhere near empty.

~FIN.