im losing my mind this time
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Bastien
"Azrael? Come downstairs. I need to talk with you." Bastien finally called after taking a moment to find his voice. He'd been thinking of this discussion for the last few weeks, desperately did not want to have it, but knew he had to. The anniversary of Rexanna's death was coming up, their fight against the monsters encroaching too, and he couldn't lose someone else. They had to be prepared.

He'd cleared off one of the couches in the Sanctuary and was sat waiting for Azrael to come and be next to him so he could begin to talk. From the second they entered it would be clear this wasn't a fun conversation. Bastien's face was sombre and sad, somehow seeming older without his usual carefree smile. His hands clasped in his lap, he sighed and tried to think of what he was going to say. What he wanted to say, which was: stay home and don't take part.

But Azrael had a gift, one that would undeniably be valuable, and he couldn't force them to keep that away from the world.

What God doesn't give to you
You've got to go and get for yourself
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
the first and simplest emotion which we discover in the human mind, is curiosity
They’ve been busy with their sketches upstairs, little mock designs of things to help for LongNight, even if they weren’t fully aware of the cost. But hearing their father’s voice calling out to them does have them immediately dropping what their doing. The tone of Bastien’s voice draws concern deep within them, bounding down the stairs to search for their father.

There’s space cleaned up for them to sit with their father, and they automatically move toward it, sitting up on the couch and tucking their legs underneath them, dark eyes lifting to scan Bastien’s face. “Yes Papa?” It’s a quiet question, before their brows inch together in concern. “Is everything okay?” They ask softly, an edge of worry to their tone that floods their thoughts.

Did something terrible happen?
Azrael
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Bastien
There was a twinge of guilt in Bastien's chest as he saw Azrael's face when they entered the room, concern clear on the young face. He couldn't really do anything to dispel it, though. There was something to be concerned about in the next weeks, something that would likely age Azrael more than any of their artificial growth spurts had. When they sat down he let out a soft breath as he smiled sadly and reached out to stroke his child's face, the innocence and love there.

"It is right now, yes. But you know what is happening at the end of this season? During Longnight, when we are going to help with the monsters?" He asked, trying to keep an even tone. "What do you think about all that? Do you want to take part?" A side of Bastien desperately wanted Azrael to say no, so he had an excuse to swipe them up and take them away from it, but he knew the child he and Rexanna had made and thought that very unlikely.

Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
the first and simplest emotion which we discover in the human mind, is curiosity
Their attentive as they watch their father, eyes never straying from his face while his hand runs along their face. Their brows are still inched together, their body taut in waiting to see what terrible thing was about to befall them. The explanation doesn’t help matters much, however, despite how Bastien says that it’s fine right now. “Yes.” They say softly, trying to assure their father that they know exactly what’s going to happen.

We’re trying to get rid of the monsters over LongNight so they won’t ever come back.” They explain, as if they’d absorbed the conversation and this is what they’d gathered. As for wanting to take part, their head tilts slightly. “I do want to help, Papa.” They can see the concern in Bastien’s eyes, but this is something they’re all willing to do for one another and the rest of the Grounds. This is what they’ve been waiting for. “I can heal… I want to help.
Azrael
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
Well, they were certainly Rexanna's child; a blessing and a curse. Bastien held back his sigh, swallowing it and trying to let his fear go with it, though that was easier said than done. He reckoned he'd probably be holding onto that until Longnight was over, if they both made it to the end.

"Yes, I thought you would." Nodding, he laced his fingers together and looked out into the room. "That being the case Azrael...I feel I have to prepare you for it. Longnight is not a nice time." Their last Longnight had been when they were too young to take anything in and that was probably for the best; he had not had to explain their mothers fate. Given that she had not been killed directly by the monsters, he avoided that now too, but he couldn't withhold all truths.

"It is very likely that some people we know will be very hurt or die." He said evenly, keeping contact with their eyes. "Me and you will be in danger too. But I want you to be sensible, alright. Only come out with me and if things are going poorly, if you see me hurt...you need to run to a house or somewhere inside and hide there. Until someone finds you. Do you understand?"

Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Of course, they notice the shift in their father, the way it seems like he wants to say something or stifle down his fears. They don’t mention it, however, Bastien had always been one to say exactly what he wanted to say and Azrael wasn’t one to question it, to dive in deep. They know that the explanation is coming, they have an idea of the dread Bastien feels. And so they listen, their eyes trained on their father’s face even as he glances out around the room.

Okay.” They begin, their brows still furrowed, their attention still focused intensely on their father, waiting for the ball to drop, waiting to understand just how terrible it would really be. The explanation is one that they partially expect and partially don’t expect, their lips twitching slightly as they try to think of what to say.

After a few moments, however, with their gaze connected, they understand the implications. “Just any house?” They ask quietly, unsure of what exactly to expect. To run in a house and hide and pretend that everything’s okay and that someone would hopefully find them when the sun rose again. “Can’t I… Just heal you and you’ll be okay?” This worries them, the idea of having to leave their father behind to save themself.
Azrael
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
"Anything. Better if you can shut a door or window behind you and find a good corner to hide in. Believe me Azrael, it is better to deal with a human than a monster, if someone really did take offense." Not that he thought they would; the kid was adorable and most people had left the Grounds already. There were hundreds of empty homes this Deepfrost, and he hoped at least of some them would have unlatched windows Azrael could sneak into in an emergency.

The optimism of their question would have made him chuckle were the circumstances not so dire; as it was he let out a sigh with an odd half-smile and shook his head. "Certainly, if it is a small injury, but the monsters are fierce, Azrael. I'm not trying to scare you, but they will not go easy on us. I could be too hurt for you to help." Hopefully his child could judge when that point was.

"If I am gone, I don't care who tells you to get back out there - wait inside. You are not their tool. You are your own person, my little star, and I cannot face your mother again if I let you into too much danger. Do you understand?" Bastien laid a hand out before himself on the sofa for Azrael to take, hating that he had to say this but knowing he'd be glad for it.

Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
They listen to every word their father says, mentally preparing for just how terrible Bastien makes it out to be. They work at their lip, a little, but nod regardless – slowly, as if they’re just putting it as an option in their mind when things were to go south. Still, they can’t help but ask the question, the idea that they could heal and that should be enough to keep their father with them, feeling the dread creep into their belly with the answer. “Okay.” They say softly at first, their dark brows pinching together.

They almost want to add more, but Bastien makes it worse, their brows inching closer together until there’s a wrinkle between the two of them, the worry evident in their dark eyes, eyes that shift to the hand that’s extended out toward them that they reach for on instinct, lacing both of their hands within their father’s. “I understand, Papa.” After all, Bastien was the one that was familiar with LongNight. Azrael couldn’t remember it at all from last year and all they had to go on were stories and books and experiences.

But given their young age, not many had explain that dark splotch of time in the Grounds to them. And truth be told? Azrael doesn’t blame them.
Azrael
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
The little hands in his own made Bastien's chest flip; Azrael was still so small, so young. It went against every instinct he had to take them out into this fight with him, but he knew he didn't have a choice. He wondered if this was how the Virgin Mary was meant to have felt, in all those church stories he hadn't paid much attention to - a child destined for greatness was one destined to be hurt, no matter how much a parent tried to stop it.

"Good. I am proud of you, Azrael, and I love you very, very much - no matter what happens." He was terrified this might be along the last times he got to say that. He hadn't known, when he'd last spoken to Rexanna, that it had been significant, that he'd yearn for just a glance at her alive and well again for years to come. Shuffling closer he held Azrael to his chest, brows furrowing as he lowered his head to kiss his child's hair.

"You will make us proud, I am sure. And when this is over, me and you shall go on a great journey, hm? Halo and Torchline and I've heard there is a place called The Wilds, too. We could see it all." He could already imagine Azrael's curious eyes and hands, the joy in their face. If they could both just make it to then, everything would be alright.

Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
I love you too, Papa.” They say, putting every sense of the feeling into the words as they squeeze Bastien’s hand. There’s a bob of their head, curls dancing around their face, before Bastien’s shuffling closer and embracing them, their arms wrapping around their father to hold him tight to them too, tucking their head into Bastien’s chest. The prospect of a journey has their eyes alight, their head lifting to peer up at Bastien from the space they’ve buried their head into.

Can we start at Torchline?” They ask, small but bright, excitement lingering in their gaze – sure that they’d all manage LongNight and be able to take that trip into the unknown, into adventuring and living and figuring out what was beyond the Grounds despite how much they call it their home. "I want to see the ocean!"
Azrael
Base Code by Sky!
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien
Bastien held his child as close as he can, trying not to sigh with the weight he felt in his chest. He wanted to exist in the simple love of his family in that moment, but the possibilities of Longnight loomed ever closer. He couldn't allow himself to imagine Azrael hurt, but it had crossed his mind several times that he could be leaving his child without a guardian. Rexanna gone one Longnight, him the next - it would be such a tragedy. He had to do everything he could to fight it.

At least they had a dream to cling to, a necessity in such hard times. "Of course, caro. Anywhere you want. You can lead us the entire way. I am just there to help you go where you want." Reaching a fingertip to boop their nose, he laughed. "With some exceptions. As your father I reserve the right to say no if you want us to go into the mouth of a Ghost whale."

Fin