Training house made of straw
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
It was a little compliment- potentially a tease- but Olliver appreciated it. He offers the man a light shrug. "I've been practicing- I could always use any help." It didn't matter what level Henry was at, any opportunity was a learning one and would help him to further his abilities. He wasn't gonna turn down a fun sparring session either. "You're not doing too shabby yourself. Pretty good on your feet, too."

Once more, the branch comes towards him, and this time, he was caught a bit off guard, but he once again tries his best to block it. There's only so much he can do and there isn't a lot of space to work with, but at this point, Oliver is aiming to block rather than anything else. It wasn't something he got much practice in and he'd take it.

and my hopes they are high I must keep them small
Oliver

Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
could somebody check my pulse? it's been a minute since i've tasted blood. i forgot how good this was
"Hey, thanks."

The branch thwacks against Oliver's staff, a sound that has Henry grinning with the slightest glint of frustration in his eyes. He's not sure what else to do, at this point. He's run dry of ideas on how to best Oliver, and he's beginning to believe that he can't, which pays homage to the fact that Henry probably can't do a great deal of things he wants to do.

Then, as they face each other off in a moment of pause, as Henry's branch strains against Oliver's well-crafted staff, an idea sparks in his eyes. He shoves his branch against Oliver's staff to try to thrust it away and reach up with one hand to grab one of Oliver's wrists. He makes an attempt to pull Oliver's hand up and off of the staff, to render him unable to make anymore strikes.

"Wanna trade?" Henry jokes, grunting with the effort.
HENRY
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
The man grasps for his wrist and Oliver stares forward, his hand tightening on the staff. He makes no move to strike him nor release his grip on the weapon. "Or... you can go ahead and admit defeat?" And with that, Oliver tried to twist his hands around the staff, pulling it against Henry to try and free him from the man's grasp. It was a simple move, but it would hopefully give Oliver the upper hand.

It doesn't help that the opponent's weapon was basically tossed away. "Your move." And with that Oliver tried to stand his ground, having hopefully successfully freed himself and maybe even startled the other man enough to allow some separation from the two. Oliver loved getting close to men just like every other gay guy, but he wasn't about to give up just for a nice piece of ass.

Oliver

Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
could somebody check my pulse? it's been a minute since i've tasted blood. i forgot how good this was
Well, even if he doesn't want to give up for a piece of ass, maybe Henry does. Joking. Obviously he wants to give up because there's not much else he can do. This was a last ditch effort, and Oliver's next move sends him careening backwards. Instead of disarming his opponent, his opponent has turned the tide and disarmed him.

Henry manages to catch his balance (which is surprising!) and puts his hands up. "Okay, okay," he lets out a breathy chuckle, "You win, this time." He shoots a sharp, playful look up at Oliver.

With their little exercise over, Henry walks on over to the target and examines it. "So, how come you're so deadset on defensive training?" He asks, tilting his gaze back over to the blond as he leans one of his arms against the post, "Got someone you're trying to protect?"
HENRY
Blacksmith

Change author:
Hands are raised in defeat and Oliver finds himself smiling, clearly quite proud of himself. It wasn’t a very fair fight in terms of strength and ability, but he also had played rather fairly. He didn’t use any tricks and remained rather nice... to him, that is. It was a nice fight and Oliver was proud.

Adjusting his posture, Oliver held his own staff in one hand. ”Guess we just will have to do this another time, that way I can beat ya again.” A clear tease that added onto Henry’s comment, clearly not just thrown in to rub it into his face. Henry started it.

Eyes skate over to the figure once more and Oliver offers a shrug. ”Its complicated... I made a promise to Safrin and to fulfill it, I need to learn to protect through training... it’s been slow, what with me being sick and everything after that... but I’m working on it.” It wasn’t really an excuse and it’s why he was working as hard as he was.

Oliver

Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry smirks and shakes his head at first. As he walks towards the dummy, he offers back a quip over his shoulder, "That's a funny way to say you wanna see me again." He can feel his confidence returning already, now that he's not being beaten up with a glorified stick. Although, his shoulders do feel a little sore from his fall and he makes a point to shake it off.

Then he's leaning up against the post and wondering why Oliver's so fixed on being good at protecting things. The answer does definitely clear things up, and a brief nod of sympathetic understanding offered at Oliver's mention of 'being sick and everything after that'. The illness had certainly had its impact on people, and he was only lucky not to have caught it.

"So you've met Safrin, then?" Henry asks curiously, inviting Oliver to extrapolate on that, "What was that like?"
HENRY
Blacksmith

Change author:
A small smile and Oliver glances away from him. ”And if I do?” His eyes return to Henry as if challenging him to make the next move. ”Ill be setting up a forge here super soon, so I’d love some help.” It was a simple offer, but one that’d hopefully be accepted. It wasn’t quite what Henry was most likely thinking of, but hey, who knows what’d happen after.

The question causes his eyes to light up. Safrin was someone he loved- he enjoyed talking about her so much. ”Yes, yes I have. I’ve met her a few times.” And each time was an absolute blessing. ”She granted me my Hybrid status- it’s why I can shift into animals now.” Before he was an Abandoned but now he had so much potential. ”She’s helped to guide me down the right path, given me advice, and helped me in so many ways... and I love her for that. If you can visit any of the gods, I’d absolutely recommend her. She’s so kind and loving and just beautiful.” it was a ramble, but it was all true.

Oliver

Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry raises his brows and grins at the 'and if I do?' bit. He bites his tongue, though, in favor of the next statement Oliver makes. "Sure, I can help. I don't have anything too pressing going on for a while..." his gaze drifts, distracted, at that. But he's drawn back rather quickly as Oliver goes on to describe his experience with Safrin.

Loving and kind. One of Henry's brows raises skeptically. "Loving, sure, if they favor you..." he pulls back, standing straighter, "Safrin is known to be the most fickle of them all. What would you do if suddenly you fell out of her graces, and she took away what she's given you simply because she disagrees with a choice you made? Or something you said?" Because Safrin's known to do that.
HENRY
Blacksmith

Change author:
You make my heart shake bend and break
A grin and Oliver nods. ”Perfect, you can even stay after for awhile. I know I’d love the company.” And he’d love a lot more than that too.

It was... a lot more complicated than that. Oliver bites down on his lip as his eyebrows lower. ”It truly depends on who you speak to. In my experience, Frey was far from forgiving... I haven’t spoken with Them since after they split, but they were the one who cursed me. While I was foolish, they didn’t give me the space to learn in a way that I think is appropriate.” Oliver was not a fan of Safrin being spoken of in such a poor way, but lashing out wouldn’t help in the slightest. ”It’s in my opinion that you learn through experiences. All I can say is that you should be respectful whenever you approach the Gods... those who are cursed often earn it through a lack of it.” Who had even told Henry all of this? Whoever had clearly really fucked up.

”I would simply try to learn from my mistakes- understand why I had messed up. Safrin only wants my best interest- and the same would go if you came to her. I won’t go deep into it, but I do think you should try at your own pace to reach out to the Gods. I can only recommend Safrin since in my experience, I know her to be incredible.”
OLIVER
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry watches as Oliver's expression shifts, becoming darker, more thoughtful. As far as differing opinions go, Henry doesn't see a problem with it. Other people can follow the gods that they want to follow - or none at all, if that suits them better. He certainly doesn't want to be pressured into a corner, to have to choose one and ignore the rest. So when Oliver's tone and words seem to become defensive, Henry's brows raise in surprise.

"How can you know what she wants for me? Maybe she wants what she believes is best for all of humanity, in a very broad sense. And maybe that falls in line with your beliefs, so you see her as incredible," he counters, "There is a reason that each of them represent different aspects of the world. If even one of the gods or heralds were to disappear, the world wouldn't be what it is now. Deciding only ever to go to the one that you like most might be more limiting than you think," he shrugs, "there's merit in being open-minded."

But he's not here to argue with Oliver or to be told that he absolutely must go to Safrin because she is the best. The conversation might carry on for longer and stretch into something productive, where they might learn to see each other's perspectives - or it might not.

Either way, this thread's over~ FIN
HENRY