[SE] A Peace of Luck
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
sacrifice what you are for what you can become
Henry's been told he can find Wessex here in the Atheneum. He'd sent a note for her ahead of time, to let her know he was coming - and that he had a gift for her. Smiley-face.

So he enters the large, impressive building with a curious glance around. He's dressed casually and warm for the occasion. In his hands, he's carrying a medium-sized parcel.

Truly, Henry's not that great with giving gifts to the Ascended. He usually tries to get to people's hearts with food, or warm jackets, or other sensual gifts. The Ascended don't have much use for those things, except maybe.. habitual desire. So, he'd had to deliberate over whether this choice was a good one. But.. he did want to show his support, even if he couldn't create legendary items or offer an especially critical magic.

He finds Wessex wherever she is, likely accompanied by her companion Loki. If so, Henry will happily pull a fresh piece of dried meat out of his pocket for the creature; he's not so cruel to forget.

"Wessex, it's been a while! Thank you for seeing me today, I know it's not convenient timing," he raises his eyes to hers, apologetically happy to see her. He's also, low-key, trying to decipher the state of things by her demeanor alone. Well, small talk can be skipped over. That much is apparent. More serious and cautious in tone, he asks, "How is everything progressing?"
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
WESSEX
No one has ever attached a smiley face to a note for Wessex.

Innuendo? Yes, she thinks so. But no straight up, happy-to-see-you indication. It makes her a tad nervous, for no specific reason. Lies, there’s a reason, and it has everything to do with not wanting to disappoint someone who is actually happy to see her.

So a gift deserves a gift in return and she’s carefully thought about what she has, choosing two items that might suit the would-be explorer as he enters the world beyond the Grounds. Loki has perched herself atop one of the stacks and trills to Wessex as the young man enters the building, She turns to place her book back and then promptly stumbles over a raised piece of floor.

Huh. That’s odd. Squatting down to look at it, the Wraith calls out, “Over here!” and asks Loki to help guide him to her. She does, swooping down to Henry and hovering in front of him, snatching the piece of meat, and then trying to lead him to her bonded.

“Nonsense,” she declares, still squatting down, now trying to pry the floor up with a knife. “We have a plan, now all we need is to get to building the things we need - a trap house, some stone barricades, Monster-proof the Barracks.” It seems like a short list, but the magnitude is a little overwhelming when you think about it. And not everyone is eager to help.

“How have you been?” The piece of floor starts to move upward, revealing what might be a hidden compartment underneath.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Henry gladly follows after Loki after offering the tiny dragon a 'hello'.

"What-" He's surprised at how he finds Wessex, on the floor trying to pry a board up with her knife. Probably better not to ask questions. He takes a second to set his parcel on a nearby surface. Momentarily, he forgets the idea of gifts to see what the heck she's up to. He kneels down opposite to her, listening with both an interested and incredulous expression.

"I've been uh.. better," he offers, making an effort to relax, "trying to keep my head up, staying busy..." His gaze flits down as the board actually moves upwards, and he quickly reaches out to try to help catch it before it slides back down. "You know, if this is where you've hidden my present, you didn't have to go through so much trouble," he offers a joking smirk up at her.
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
Pausing in her current struggle with the sekrit floorboard, Wessex eyes Henry with a frown - a frown born of her own actions and the way he’s talking about himself. “You sound like you’re trying to make the best of something. Was I wrong to send you to Torchline?” She offers the possibility up rather matter of factly, inviting a frank answer from him before turning back to the floor.

Between the two of them they manage to catch and keep it up. “Nah, yours is right here,” she gestures to small bag that was partially hidden between herself and the stack.This just popped up. I think -” pushing it up gently, Wessex peers into the space, then sticks her hand in and fishes around, pulling out an old, dusty, leatherbound book. It looks old. Kinda mildewed around the edges of the pages.

The kind of thing that might hold old knowledge. Her eyes light up.
No, I’ll be the stone
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry falters a bit, and suddenly feels ashamed for having put things in a way that would have her question it. "No, no," he says quickly. Sighing, he decides to be a bit more open with Wessex, "Truth be told, I've been... in a bit of a funk for a long time... You sending me to Torchline is exactly the kind of thing I've been waiting for. But now that it has, with everything going on- it just doesn't feel right to leave the Grounds now. Leaving you all to the monsters..." There's a furrow of his brow, because he's nervous about how she'll take that, worried she'll feel as if he's saying they're not capable of handling it. But it's out in the open now and there's no taking it back.

The board's propped up long enough for her to retrieve a hidden object beneath it. Of course it's a book and he shouldn't be so surprised but he is, nonetheless. His own expression lifts in intrigue, and with no further impression that she's going to continue searching the secret hiding place, he lets the board slip from his fingers.

"What is it?" He asks quietly, inclining his head to try and get a better look.
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
With her elbows resting on her knees, Wessex nods slightly in understanding. “You aren’t leaving us, you’re doing the smart thing and providing an example for the more stubborn Grounders. But if it helps, you can lend a hand in prepping the Barracks?” After a pause, she adds in what might almost be a whisper - definitely audible but not intended for anyone else to accidentally overhear. “And if something happens to me, the Ground will need someone like you.”

She leaves it at that and after fishing out the book, he drops the board. She’s already delicately opening it - when nothing crumbles beneath her fingers, she starts to flip through it - just scanning at first - “Seems like a really old notebook. Pretty mundane -”

Wessex stops mid-sentence, flipping back to a page. She reads it, eyes growing wide. A body-wrenching groan rips through Wessex as she reads the forgotten book, hanging her head and looking at Henry with something that screams she's just read something most discouraging.[say "Just a sec," she says, stands, and walks into the next aisle for a good couple of minutes before returning and handing it wordlessly to him to read.
No, I’ll be the stone
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
He's only relieved that she understands, doesn't take what he says and twists it. That's happened to him far more than he'd like. He does have to admit, for all the good intentions he has, things don't always come across that way. As for what Wessex tells him, he can only respect it. He has a part to play in all of this, small as it is, and he has to make do with that. Accept it. Let go of the things that are out of his control.

"My family will have plenty of spare supplies..." is all he offers in acceptance to the proposal. For the time being, he can't - or doesn't want to - respond to the other thing she says, in a hushed tone, but his eyes do meet hers in that moment.

His curiosity fades as Wessex makes no immediate discoveries of anything significant. He gets up to his feet, dusting off his hands and his clothes, now preparing to present Wessex with his gift. He's oblivious to the small cues she gives off as he moves towards the parcel he set down moments ago. Then, unexpectedly, she's walking off into the next aisle of books. His brows furrow and his mouth opens to tell her to wait but he stops.

When she returns minutes later, Henry's immediately asking, "What is it? Something bad?" He's slightly surprised when the book is handed over. He takes it into his hands and examines the contents with a worried expression.

His expression slacks but only with the realization that it is exactly as he feared; bad. "But that's.. exactly what you've been preparing to do..." trap them, that is. His fingers clasp around the book as he shuts it, having seen enough. His troubled gaze swivels up towards Wessex, feeling his heart sink. "Do you think it will still work? Maybe if someone..." were to be inside, to lure them... but he doesn't want to say that out loud. Even then, would such a sacrifice be made in vain? The skin between his brows wrinkles and his mind churns. "So this is going to be up to if you can beat them by sheer force, isn't it?" Numbers, skill, teamwork. "Do you really think you can?"
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
“Is your family headed to Torchline?” she asks, fairly sure that the answer is no, but would love to be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps Henry had worked his magic pragmatism on them.

That train of thought is then quickly wiped away by the unexpected find and as she hands the notebook over, she wonders if he’ll come to the same conclusion she does, that same heart-drop (unreal as it is for her), that same foreboding sense of doom settling closer about her head, even a vague sense of hopelessness. What’s the point? Maybe they should just give up.

“Yep,” is all she can grimly say, her tone flat and - wrong. Unusual for her. “I don’t know,” she continues, looking up at the ceiling because she can’t look at him, can’t admit that she’d thought she had such a good plan and now - now what? “It doesn’t say how well they made it into a house or whether there was a lure. I can probably do it and withstand the onslaught and I know they didn’t have - well, me, - back then - but -” But would it be enough? Fangs cut into her lower lip as she pauses to think about it when she catches sight of something.

Oh right, the gifts.

While bringing them back in front of her, she tries to talk it through. “We know nothing about what they had. So I can only assume they had less. And no Ascended, which means they needed fire. We don’t. We can also withstand the cold. I think it’s safe to say we have more power.” Or maybe she’s just trying to make herself feel better.

Idly pushing the two items towards him, the Wraith brings her gaze back down to him and considers the question. “Not force. Teamwork and good choices.” Which is, of course, fully out of her control.
No, I’ll be the stone
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
"No," is all he says in answer of his family. Of course they aren't. His father is a stubborn stone of a man. Not even Henry can get through to him. If Wessex had known the disapproval of him leaving to Torchline this Deepfrost, perhaps she would not have asked him to. But this is Henry's life. Isn't it?Shouldn't he have a say in what he wants? He airs none of this to Wessex. It isn't her problem.

He sets the book down upon a nearby surface, adjacent enough to be noticeable should she want it back. For now, he believes that neither of them will want to look at it much more.

As Wessex retrieves the gifts for him, he voices his thoughts, finishing hers, "but will it work? Yeah.. that's the problem. If even one of them realizes..." he brings his hand up to his chin, thoughtfully growing quiet.

Suddenly he shakes his head, angry, frustrated, powerless. His brows furrow deeply but he's not the type to lash out or act on such dark impulses. This isn't Wessex's fault. It isn't about blame at all. It's about stacked odds, and whether or not beating them is feasible. What she says is true. At least, he thinks it is. Maybe the things they have now will be enough. Maybe.

Without very much spirit, he retrieves the parcel he brought for her and trades it for the ones she's presented him. He will wait to open his, however, until she's opened hers.

At the time, Henry was trying to think of something that might help ease Wessex's strain. Ease her worry, her stress. Being an Ascended, that's difficult. They have little physical response to any sort of food or drink. Otherwise, Henry might've fixed her up an entire banquet. A... 'last meal' of sorts. Grim as that sounds. But since the Ascended don't get anything out of eating or drinking, he's brought her something different. Something symbolic.

Within the parcel, Wessex will find a necklace. It's made mostly with obsidian. Rather than jewels or charms, the necklace itself is in the shape of a dragon. A slender, black dragon that links into itself like an ouroboros.

Along with that, she'll find a small leatherbound book. It's roughly small enough to fit into a person's pocket as long as they're not the fake kind of pockets. Upon opening it, she will find that the first page has been signed by Henry, a small note that reads:

'For Wessex,
Hold nothing back.
- Henry Walker'

"I certainly hope that nothing happens to you, Wessex," he states this solemnly, "the Grounds needs someone like you now, whether they realize it or not. And I know that as long as you're standing, you will protect the rest of us."
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
“I don’t know,” she says for what seems like the hundredth time, said to person after person in some semblance of honesty because Wessex doesn’t lie. She may kill and she may pitch fits, she may try to manipulate and she may threaten, but she doesn’t lie. The future - their plan - is unknowable. Too may pieces are moving, too many individuals unpredictable.

She’s never known if it would succeed. And she’d thought she was the first to try to defeat them, the first bold enough to say enough, this is the last time you’ll take our people.

Ok, so, she isn’t the first. A temporary blow to her ego, but as we all read, she’s the most egocentric person the Sword knows. Her ego will bounce back.

So she says this not to defend herself and not to convince him, but because of some deep-rooted desire that’s eaten into her ever since she first talked to the Monsters. Fervent, fierce, a pillar of light that would make the Voice proud, she finds herself looking at Henry with a hushed intensity. “But it’s worth trying. To end this reign of terror and give our people a peaceful LongNight? That dream is… somewhere deep inside every Grounder. Something wished for, but never spoken of. I want us to make it a reality.” They have to try. Before the Order swoops in. Before some other kind of hell breaks loose. Before Gods only know what strikes, they have to try.

A little embarrassed by her outburst, Wessex suddenly busies herself with opening the packages. The first is the necklace - an elegant Loki, a tangible replica of the the dragon around her arm. She isn’t one for jewelry, but this is a statement piece and she lifts it up to examine it with a poor, but appreciative eye. “This is magnificent,” she declares, fastening it gently around her neck.

With a soft smile she turns to the second parcel, unwrapping a small book, not unlike what she’s just read from. It’s smooth underneath her fingrs and as they touch the cover and the edges, flip open the cover quite by accident. She stills and looks back up at the younger Walker, nodding a solemn promise. “I won’t. Thank you.”

It’s his turn now and what he’ll find is a clear, stoppered container filled with water. It looks quite ordinary, really, until she explains it. “Water from Frey’s Breath in the Climb. It can heal almost anything. For an emergency when you’re exploring.” The second is a set of fine colored pencils, just your basic colors, but something he might be able to put in a bag and take with him wherever he goes.
No, I’ll be the stone
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
He takes a moment to reflect on her sentiment, the ambitious and lofty goal of a peaceful LongNight. It's been every Grounder's dream, hasn't it? Apparently, this isn't the first attempt that's been made to achieve it, either. It's surprising but, at the same time, it's really not. He doesn't know if that should validate the Ascended or discourage them... since those people from before hadn't been successful.

"Well then, here's to hoping it all works out for us in the end," he murmurs, knowing that there's a whole hell of a lot more to it than 'hope'. It's all he can do, though...

The necklace is designed to take after Wessex's companion, so he's happy that she likes it. He had hoped that it wouldn't look too girly for her tastes, understanding that Wessex is not only a queen but a warrior as well. Only, giving her a weapon seemed... like it wouldn't actually be helpful unless it were enchanted against the monsters in some way. Not like Henry has that ability, though, so... Loki necklace it is!

"Of course you won't," he nods once, offering a smile in spite of it not quite reaching his spirit. There's no need to thank him but he adds on, "and you're very welcome."

Henry carefully opens his presents and, if he's honest, he's fully confused at the container with water in it. Did Wessex think he needed to hydrate? He scoops it up carefully into his hand, expression incredulous, about to ask, and then she clears it up for him. "Oh!" He has to laugh because, if it wasn't healing water, it would be a very odd gift.

But it is, so he says, "That's actually... a really nice gift, Wessex. I'll save it for a time of need." He sets it down carefully and scoops up the colored pencils into his hands. The quality is nice and there's one singular idea for what to do with them at the front of his mind. He smiles up at her, "Thank you, these are great."

With gifts out of the way, Henry gathers up his things and tries to mentally prepare for heading back to Torchline. This will likely be the last time he sees Wessex or any of the Ascended before Longnight. And for some of them... it might be the last he's going to see of them at all.

It's hard to simply say goodbye and leave, so he hesitates, gaze drifting. "Will you be alright here?" He asks suddenly, raising his brows, "Do you want me to stay a while longer? I can help you with your.. research."
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Henry seems genuinely pleased with her gifts, which eases a bit of tension in her. Gift-giving isn’t something she feels very good at, so to hear that he likes them and that better yet, could be useful makes the Wraith feel rather good about herself. She has so much. Might as well share the wealth.

Loki returns to the two of them, landing on her shoulder with a great big yawn, eyes blinking thoughtfully at Henry as she feels her bonded’s affection for him. That is, until she spies the her-shaped thing around Wessex’s neck and then she’s not so placid. That is her spot and that is her bonded and how dare there be another?! Fanning her wings to make herself look bigger, the dragon screeches her claim to the demigod and opens her mouth to reveal the hint of energy-breath forming inside her.

It takes Wessex by surprise. She jumps and tries to manhandle the companion off her shoulder and into her arms, trying to soothe the feisty creature with assurance that the necklace isn’t real. It’s just her. She’s her number one companion, see? Her hands may be full, but there was something else she wanted to ask Henry and she shoots him an apologetic look. “If she doesn’t burn the place down, I’ll be fine. Just one more thing -” not sure whether to provide any details about Oliver (not that she really has any details), there’s a brief hesitation before asks, “There’s a vacancy on the Council. Would you join it? You’ve got a good head on your shoulders, I trust you, and if something happens to me and and Bastien. Or even just one of us -”

They’ll need him. The Grounders and the Ascended (who really, at this point in LongNight should consider themselves Grounders) alike.

Letting that thought hang unsaid, she moves on to something more palatable. “I think you’ll do right by everyone.” Maybe better than she could do, in some regards. “And you’ll be the Grounds representative in Torchline for LongNight.” Just in case anything should go awry.
No, I’ll be the stone
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Loki's apparent jealousy of the necklace brings a brighter smile to Henry's face. He shakes his head in amusement at Wessex's comment, a quiet laugh following. He would've made a joke about it but he quells his voice and raises his gaze in interest as Wessex seems to want to ask him something more. At first, the insinuation is lost on Henry, but as he listens, he can feel his chest begin to puff up with pride.

He tries to contain his thrill at the offer with a straighter face. Be cool, be cool. He doesn't interject even even though he immediately wants to accept. He didn't fancy himself much of a politician but, he did know that he cared about his community and wanted to make it a better place for everyone; a place welcome to all. Longnight put a damper on things, for sure... but maybe not after this.

When Wessex's offer stands, open for him to take, he smiles in a serious manner and very earnestly states, "Wessex, of course I'll join the Council. I would love nothing more and, daresay, I think we could make a great team."

She just had to come back.

fin!<3
HENRY