[SE] well would you look at that
Milo!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
LongNight on the islands isn't nearly the horror show it is elsewhere (here's lookin' at you, Hollowed Grounds). With booze in hand and bonfires all along the beach, usually around now Jack would be well in his cups and happily roasting meat over a fire.

And he's still got the bottle, at least (it's just water, boring) but there's another set of lights he's interested in right now. Some bright spark has lit torches all around the firling, which is no longer much of a -ling if you ask Jack. It all but towers over them, a fully fledged fir by anyone's standards.

Jack's not the only one sitting around to admire the baubles and the lights, the captain slouched on a low wall with his elbows on his knees, his blue eyes reflecting the dancing flames.
you wanted perfect, you got your perfect
but now I'm too perfect for someone like you
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MILO
this is for the snakes and the people they bite
for the friends i've made, for the sleepless nights
LongNight has arrived, and with it? Parties and alcohol, bonfires and dancing, a random tree that’s grown ridiculously fast in the middle of the town, and far too much stuff on his mind to really fully indulge. At least he doesn’t look at offput as the Captain of the Ark does in the corner, someone he’d seen before but never truly dealt with. But Milo was a smuggler and in the end regardless of his close relationship to Zeph, it was Jack whom he officially answered to.

Oy, y’doin’ a’ight?” He calls out to Jack, a bottle in hand as he drifts nearer to the captain, dark eyes scanning him over as a red brow of his raises. He tears his gaze away to look at the tree alight with baubles and items hanging from it that he can’t help but to wonder why it was brought here now of all years when he’d never seen one before.

Honestly, he wasn’t much one for asking why the gods did what they did, so he plops himself down beside Jack with the bottle in hand, flashing the man an easy smile.
for the warning signs i've completely ignored
there's an amount to take, reasons to take more
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
Jack is doing his best not to think about anything, in truth, and that includes not letting his telepathy catch onto anyone else's thoughts as well. Unfortunately the damned magic isn't something he can easily turn off, and so as Milo enters the range of it, Jack glances up towards him. He raises the bottle in the other man's direction, gazing up at the firling again before he's even taken a seat.

"A'right as I can be," he says with the slant of a smile creeping across his face. "Gettin' itchy feet again - always do towards the end of Deepfrost. You ain't ever sailed, have ya?" He raises an eyebrow at Milo, taking a drink from the bottle in his hands. Jack's not going to get anything other than real hydrated this Longnight, but fuck, there are still more pros to this curse than cons.
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO
The raised bottle is returned by the raise of his own, coming to sit beside the Captain and noticing the smile that’s offered. Milo gives him one of his own, sinking into the space he’s picked and peers up at the firling yet again, until he’s distracted by Jack’s question of sailing. He chews on the inside of his cheek, his head tilting back toward Jack before he shakes it in an indication of ‘no.’

Nah, haven’t. Brother’s ‘r fishers though. I gotta knack for runnin’ more than sea legs.” He offers with a quiet huff of a laugh. The idea of being on a boat was one that both intrigued him and also worried him a fraction – unsure if he’d even be a useful part of the crew there. At least he was useful here on the ground, keeping the connections and running items through the Fingers.

The magic helped, too, if he’s being honest. "Why? Y'lookin' t'expand this comin' Flowerbirth?" He asks, a teasing and joking tone offered.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
"Sounds like someone else I know." Jack is grinning around the bottle, of course, having heard similar excuses from Zeph for basically his entire life. He wonders, briefly, if Milo also uses running as an excuse not to admit to seasickness, but the younger man is already thinking about his reasoning. Jack resists the urge to scoff - by the time he was Milo's age he was already cleaning up the Ark and ready to sail her.

Is he looking for extra crew, though? Jack shrugs. "Could always use other hands. Gonna try for a trip out to King's End, come Flowerbirth. If you didn't fancy hangin' around in monsoon season." Yeah, the Governor is supposed to be sorting that out, but will it actually happen? Only time will tell.

Gazing back up to the firling, Jack grins. "If you look close, you'll see the bauble I hung up there," he says. It's a penis. Carved out of wood. Milo can't miss it.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Yeah, yeah, ‘m sure.” He offers with a huff of a laugh, also thinking of Zeph – the way the older man had always refused to sail. It wasn’t for the same reasons as Milo, but simply the fact that the young smuggler had tried to keep his job a bit of a secret for most of his life. Now, however, it doesn’t seem to be the case. And so he considers it, the option, away from monsoon season.

It doesn’t sound  too bad, all things considered. He eyes Jack for a moment, taking a swig from his bottle. “Is ‘Relia comin’?” He asks by means of whether or not it would be a good idea to go sailing with his girlfriend, but keeping that whole idea kept down. He hasn’t admitted it to anyone but Zeph, doesn’t know if Aurelia had mentioned anything to anyone else either. “I got summonin’ ‘n healin’ magic now if that’s useful to ya.

But his gaze drifts back to the firling, spying the bauble that Jack had made and barking out a laugh. “Looks like somethin’ you’d make.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
No, Aurelia hasn't mentioned it to anyone else, but the way Jack's blue eyes flash toward Milo's face tell that the captain knows now. And so what if Milo is none the wiser about who has told him such a thing? Smirking, he sets the bottle down beside him and leans back on his hands. "She's crew," he says simply, as if that should be an answer enough. The crew will be there to sail with him, end of story. Unless, y'know, she ends up holed up in the infirmary or something.

Summoning and healing magic would be useful, and that's not something Jack can deny. He nods to the other man, fingers tapping out a beat like a metronome on the wall. "You'd be a decent addition," he says - high praise, all things considered. As for the bauble? "Reckon it sets the whole thing off," he tells Milo. "Anyway, if you want in, let me know by Flowerbirth. Or just tell Aurelia."
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
To be honest, Milo’s a little dense. He doesn’t notice what gears might be churning behind Jack’s eyes with the question that the young smuggler offers up, nodding at the comment that she’s crew and likely would be going. He doesn’t divulge much more information on that front, either, focusing instead on making a mental note of chatting with Aurelia about it and deciding from there. It seems Jack has a similar idea, however, and Milo nods slowly before taking another swig. “I’ll think ‘bout it.” He assures Jack, flashing him an easy smirk.

As for the penis bauble, Milo’s attention flits back to the captain from it, amusement clear in his dark gaze. “Oh yeah.” He agrees, huffing a quiet laugh before he’s reaching up to run a hand through his hair, pushing back a few rogue red hairs that have fallen in front of his eyes.  He realizes soon after that his bottle is nearly empty, and he hops up from the place he’s sat with Jack, pleased to know the Captain’s alright as well as the possibility of Milo accompanying a trip on the Ark.

I’ll letcha know. ‘m gonna get another one, y’want one?” He asks, waving his bottle around a bit as if to explain what he’s talking about. And whether Jack wishes to accompany him is entirely up to him.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
"Don't think too hard, might hurt yourself." Jack grins, raising his bottle in a cheers to Milo. His water is not empty just yet, and if Jack concentrates hard enough he can imagine it might taste like white rum. (It never really works, but it doesn't stop him from trying). The man beside him gets up and the captain remains seated, shaking his head at the offer. "I'm good. See you 'round, kid. Don't do nothin' I wouldn't."

And that doesn't really leave much left that's off the table, does it? Regardless, whatever trouble Milo decides to get himself into (or not) is up to him. Jack remains in the square, watching the firling and peeling the thoughts from passers by. His focus always returns, however, to the Ark. It always will.

~FIN