[SEASONAL EVENT][OPEN] Slim Pickings
OPEN
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
Ronin, too, shrugged out of his outer layers now that they were within the warmth of the guildhall, hanging his coat on a hook and revealing in full the little albino dragon draped around his neck. He moved to sink down in a comfortable chair opposite Seiji by the fire, grabbing up a couple of clean mugs on the mantlepiece, as well as a ladle. There was a pot resting in the warmth of the coals near the edge of the hearth, filled with mulled wine that ought to still be hot.

Ladling the wine into the two mugs, he offered one out to Seiji. "It's alright," Ronin said with a sheepish grin about the hall. "It will be a lot busier soon, with any luck. Monster hunters aren't easy to come by. Though I used to train other soldiers, so if anyone was interested, I'd not let them run off into the wild without any experience." Chuckling, he took a quick sip of his wine.

Had he seen the Spire demon? Yes, and the rest. Ronin almost winced in his smile, nodding to the other man. "Seen it and fought it, and I bear the scars from escaping," he admitted. "It is... it looks like a humanoid, but it has no eyes. It is very thin, skeletal almost, with grey skin and the most hellish claws... and it's jaw is not like a man's. It seems too big, too stretched... and it is full of jagged teeth."
TALIESIN
SO LOOK, AND CONNECT
WE'RE REFUSING TO RUST
HEALING HAS TO BEGIN IN THE PAST

Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: kae Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
S E I J I
The steaming mug is wonderfully warm; he accepts it with a glad nod and a quick, "Thank you." Long fingers wrapped around the vessel, he sits for a moment peering into it, allowing the heat to seep into his hands. While Ronin is speaking, he dares a small sip, and is pleasantly surprised by the warm, spicy flavor. It heats him from the inside as it goes down.

Seiji is also a little surprised by how esily Ronin seems to have settled in here. Also a newcomer, and yet he has this building, a guild, such a grasp of things. Seiji wonders if this is some difference in worth between them or if it can be at least partially explained by his lack of memory. He is no soldier, though. He feels certain of that much.

Seiji listens with interest to Ronin's description of the spire demon, his brows raising as Ronin speaks about having fought it. A monster hunter true to his name. "It sounds terrible..." he murmurs, his features now closing into a thoughtful frown. "I have heard some people say the spire is what traps us here. Or part of it. I cannot understand why, though." Lifting his eyes to Ronin again, he shakes his head. "It is all very strange. Though... I think protecting a place like that makes people want to go inside more, probably." His eyes drifted to the pale dragon, her full shape now exposed, where she lay across Ronin's shoulders. Maybe, in time, she could be an asset in battle, as well. Maybe that was why Ronin kept her. For now, though, Seiji felt as if they were both small and under-equipped for the trials of this world they had landed in.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Terrible was a fairly accurate description of the events that had unfolded out at the Spire, and Ronin found himself absently touching a hand to the shoulder that bore the scars from the creature's fangs. He nodded, both in acknowledgement of Seiji's thanks and at his explanation about what he had learned of the black obelisk. "I've heard similar stories," he said. "And perhaps that is the point. People want to go inside, but the creature slays anyone who comes close. A constant reminder about why they are stuck here."

He shrugged his shoulders and sipped at his wine, though as the mug reached his lips the scent of it roused Sugar, the dragonling lifting her serpentine head and nosing at the air. Ronin pretended not to notice her interest with a small, sly smile, lowering his cup again and returning his attention to his guest. "Whatever it is keeping us here, and whether or not the answer lies in defeating that monster, I would still try to rid the place of it regardless. It hasn't left the Spire, but who knows how many have blundered into it accidentally?"

With a sigh, Ronin set his mug aside and rose to his feet again, smiling to Seiji. "Let me go get that equipment for you," he said. "I won't try to pretend we are the same build, but I can give you a coat and scarf to protect against the elements. And a pack, too - for your apples."
TALIESIN
SO LOOK, AND CONNECT
WE'RE REFUSING TO RUST

Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
S E I J I
Seiji only nods, his expression closed, eyes thoughtful. The way Ronin phrases things, it sounds as if whatever trapped them here is a malicious entity. He doesn't miss the way Ronin touches his shoulder, as if it pains him. Or the quiet glance he shares with the dragon. But Seiji comments on neither, instead turning over the man's words. As the minutes pass, his mug of wine grows lighter in his hands, and the warmth of the hall suffuses his cold limbs. It is comfortable here indoors, even if outside, horrors still await.

As Ronin rises, remembering the equipment he mentioned earlier, Seiji nods. "Thank you," he says, rising also and placing his mug carefully aside. A note of laughter reaches his voice as he adds, "Too big is better than too small." By now, he is almost accustomed to most people being larger than he. But anything is better than nothing as far as extra clothing goes.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Grinning, Ronin nodded his agreement. "That's true enough," he said. "Alright, I'll be back in just a moment." Leaving his guest to enjoy the warmth of the fire and the rest of the guildhall, Ronin headed up a set of stairs to the far right and disappeared to the level above. He was gone for only a few minutes, but when he returned it was with a folded bundle of clothes, a large backpack placed on top.

"Okay," he said, setting them on the table with the apples. "This should be good enough to carry any supplies you need or things you might forage, though it might be useful to get a sled in this weather." He smiled to Seiji, putting the backpack aside and grabbing up a thick coat that was (hopefully) not too long.

"Would this be alright? It won't protect against rain, but the cold, sure." Along with the coat, he added a chunky woollen scarf and a couple of sweaters that, while the sleeves would certainly be too long, would add layers of warmth with any luck.
TALIESIN
SO LOOK, AND CONNECT
WE'RE REFUSING TO RUST

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I
Ronin returns with a pile of supplies. For Seiji, stripped of everything — even most memories — save the clothes on his back, it is a humbling offer. His eyes go wide as Ronin sets the things on the table. For a moment, Seiji simply looks at it all. Then he turns toward Ronin and nods, fervently. “Thank you. This is very — very kind.” He manages to say that much, at least, before he moves forward to examine the things.

At the sound of Ronin’s voice, Seiji looks up. “Yes.” He nods again, eyeing the coat. A little big, maybe, but no matter when his first concern is the cold. He surveys the small pile of clothes, gently picking each up and inspecting it before folding them all carefully into the pack. “Thank you,” he says again. “I wish… I could repay this somehow.” Into another pocket of the pack, he begins putting away the apples. It gives him something to do aside from standing awkwardly, thanking Ronin on an endless loop. “Maybe I will think of a way,” Seiji adds, mostly to himself. He pauses, though, to smile at Ronin. "I hope the Longnight is safe for you." Unless a reason arises for him to linger, Seiji thinks it might be best to return home, rather than continue to impose on Ronin's hospitality.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Kindness is free, and you are more than welcome to it," Ronin murmured with a quiet nod, smiling and watching as Seiji examined everything. Luckily it looked as though it would be fit for purpose, and he laughed warmly at the mere suggestion of payback. "I can't stop you, but know it wasn't given with the intention of you having to pay it back. I hope it makes Deepfrost a little easier for you."

Waiting until the apples and clothes were all packed away and Seiji was bundled up against the cold, Ronin would walk his new companion to the door. "And you as well," he said of LongNight. "This place will be locked up pretty tight until the end of it, but after that the doors are usually open. If you ever need anything, just come on in, okay?"

He would leave Seiji in the doorway of the guildhall, waving as he watched him away down the street. He found himself looking forward to seeing the new arrival again, hopefully when it was a little warmer out.

{END THREAD}
TALIESIN
SO LOOK, AND CONNECT
WE'RE REFUSING TO RUST