in a land of gods and monsters
Open!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
even when i was a child
i’ve always known there was something to be frightened of
Amalia has never been to the Silk Houses before, and now that she is here she feels astoundingly overwhelmed. Torchline had its own share of seedy characters, but always those dealings seemed to be open in and in the sun; whereas in the Grounds, there had never been enough infrastructure for a dedicated underbelly. But here in Stormbreak, where beautiful facades mask old corruption, the stones themselves seem to radiate ill intent. It had been so easy for so long to ignore these darker aspects of the city, but ever since witnessing the torment inflicted at Judgment's Needle...

Amalia cannot turn a blind eye to the darkness anymore.

She makes no effort to stand out, dressed simply in black leggings and a dark blue top, a jacket pulled over her narrow shoulders, her hair tied back into a long tail. She can feel eyes on her as she comes to a crossroad, pausing, unsure which way to turn. Colors and voices, lights and scents, all pull her in opposing directions, stimulating her curiosity and leaving her frozen in place. She needs to move - like any animal, she knows that staying put in a den of predators is a bad idea. But where, when there is so much she doesn't know, so many things to fear and so many more to learn?
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
October
It's a quiet consolation
A mistake that I don't mind
What's Tobi doing out here, in this part of town? Listen, just because she's a sweet doctor most of the time doesn't mean she doesn't have her vices.

Dressed not unlike Amalia in that she's in leggings and an ensemble that looks fairly plain, Tobi does look far more at home here than the Archangel likely ever will. "Amalia?" Spying the familiar and unique slant of the demigod's cheekbones and her dark eyes, Tobi flashes her a bright smile as she makes her way through the throngs of shoppers.

"I thought that was you." Having not seen Amalia since she stormed out of the Eye's meeting, and then of course not during all of LongNight, the doctor's follow-up is perhaps woefully late, but the look of concern on her face is none the less genuine. "How are you?"
Maybe you'll meet me at the station
Or maybe somewhere down the line
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
even when i was a child
It's not unlike watching a flock of birds in some ways, the movements of the crowd chaotically in sync as everyone mills about, comfortable in their urgency, at ease in such an uneasy place. Next to them Amalia is a sore thumb, a streetlamp placed on the wrong corner. It is no wonder, then, that October is able to find her so quickly, this cat among the birds. Amalia is keen and attentive, her dark eyes darting eagerly from figure to figure, soaking up the comings and goings and utterly missing the one walking towards her until their orbits intersect.

A blink of surprise, a jerk of her head; Amalia startles, turning towards the source of the voice with black eyes wide and a blush rising on her cheeks. "Oh, Oc- um, Doctor Hart," the Archangel stammers, shy surprise softening the hard edges of her face, making her seem younger. "I didn't- that is, I'm fine. How are you?" A lame attempt at small talk, but the girl's previous experiences with October have been awkward and brief, a vague memory of fever-fueled hope for connection spiking in her brain.

Somewhere nearby a squabble breaks out, catching Amalia's attention. She turns from the doctor to peer over the crowd, but the commotion fades almost as quickly as it rose, the conflict governed by a set of rules the Archangel cannot understand. She frowns, tucking stray a lock of hair behind one of her ears. "Is it always so... busy?"
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
If the doctor is at all ruffled or put off by Amalia's surprise, her bright smile doesn't show it. "Oh not too bad. Just here to pick up a few things." She hums. It's only the fact that the Archangel is taken by the brief kerfuffle that Tobi bothers to look over at all. It's so common here that the sound of a few punches being thrown or curses lobbed about hardly register to the doctor's ears anymore.

With a silvery and chipper laugh, Tobi is forced to nod. "Always." The doctor confirms, her tone warm and almost adoring. Stormbreak is an unwieldy beast, especially down in this part of town, but it's the only home she's ever known. "If it's ever quiet, that's how you know something is wrong." Tobi adds with a conspiratorial wink before she straightens.

"Were you here shopping for anything in particular? Or just people watching?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
even when i was a child
Being next to October is like being near a sunbeam, even in the murky darkness of the busy street. Even with her trepidation Amalia can't help but feel warmed by the doctor's presence at her side, as though the seedy underbelly she so fears cannot coexist in a world where this doctor lives. "What kinds of things?" she asks innocently, curiosity piqued, head tilted to the side. "Medical supplies?"

There's a wealth of affection in the Doctor's voice as she talks about Stormbreak, causing Amalia to tilt her face towards October like a flower seeking warmth. "It's very different from home," she says softly, a little bit of sadness shading her alto voice.

As for what she's doing here? A frown pulls between her brows, and the girl looks away, leaving the sunlight behind. "I was... looking for understanding, I guess. I've been here for half a year, but I don't... know Stormbreak yet. Not really." The people who live here look at her as something other than them, and she has acted it, hiding away in a tower surrounded by myths and books. "It's a haven to the Old Gods, and beautiful for that, but... it's dark here, too. I want to understand that, I guess."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
"Mm, a few tennis balls, and.." Tobi blushes slightly, even if she doesn't look embarrassed. "..maybe something a bit nicer to wear. On the few occasions I have to go out, it would nice to have more than just..this." She gestures to what she's wearing, which isn't flattery in the least.

"From the Grounds?" Tobi wonders. "Yes, I expect it would be."
But this is said with pride and perhaps not as much understanding as Amalia might have expected. But then, the Grounds had been under the barrier for centuries. Of course Stormbreak was nothing like it.

Listening to what's on the Archangel's mind, Tobi's brows knit together slightly beneath her thick bangs as she nods. 'Well...Someone like Finn could tell you alot more about the history of all, but if you want to know more about why it's like this...I can do my best?" Tobi had, after all, interrupted what might have been a solo venture on the Archangel's part.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
even when i was a child
"Tennis... Balls?" Amalia repeats slowly, having no reference knowledge for what this means. Stormbreak has proven itself to be a land of wonderful inventions; she can only imagine what this one is. As for clothes? The Angel scoffs, not the least bit derisively. "You- you're beautiful, though," she points out with thoughtless sincerity, before what she's said catches up to her, lending a blush to her face.

Suddenly self-conscious, Amalia looks anywhere but at the Doctor, leading her to settle on the sweet tableaux of a family out shopping. It softens and saddens her, seeing this powerfully normal display while outside the world is falling apart.

She shakes her head at October's comment, already shaking her head. "History is... Is part of it, but what I saw at the Judgment's Needle..." It makes her sick just to think about it: the open torture, the cruelty, the violence enacted in the name of justice, as though those things could equate. "I've never seen anything like that. And I can't... can't understand what could possibly merit it."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
Tobi flashes the Archangel a smile, her eyes brightening for hearing someone else say the word. "Some of them will be for physical therapy, but the rest are for me." She holds out her hand, which quickly becomes a paw, before shifting back into the doctor's slender fingers. "It's probably the only thing I do that can be considered exercise." She adds with a laugh that's as self-deprecating as it is sunny.

Smiling, Tobi shakes her head. "I am very fortunate to be conventionally attractive, here." She agrees, knowing her dark doll-like eyes and naturally high metabolism have much to do with how attractive she is. Neither of which she has any control over at all.

Pulling in a breath, unaware of (or possibly just not commenting on), Amalia's discomfort, Tobi folds her arms comfortably across her chest and nods. "Death by a thousand small cuts is no less tolerable in the end." She says sadly. "Our rules here are very clear. For those who break them...the punishment is no surprise. Better to have derisive consequences that actually change behaviour, than small fines and sentences that can be ignored." Amalia had said history was part of it, but in Stormbreak, it was all of it. "You have to understand that living with an abundance of understanding and second-chances is what led to the Voice's rise. It's what led to an unknowable number of deaths. And now...for every act there is a punishment, that's swift and severe that we might never have to relive out past mistakes."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
even when i was a child
Oh. You're Attuned? Amalia asks silently, her almond eyes widening in delight at this revelation and display. As for exercise? The muscular Angel brightens up. "We could- that is, if you ever want company- it's been a while since I went on a proper run." And her own display of animal nature ripples over her face, human ears growing and rounding until a leopard's rest, briefly in her hair.

If only things could stay so balmy. Amalia shoves her hands into her pockets to hide the claws that lengthen on her fingers. "If it works so well, then why are there still people being whipped in public and left to hurt?" The memory of the lashed man floats across her mind again; she grimaces, dark brows knit. "What crime could possibly justify that sort of punishment?"
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
One of the few here. Tobi replies with a silent dip of her head. There is a brief warble of sadness through the attuned bond that the doctor is now aware that they both share; Tobi is the lowest class of citizen here, despite being well respected.

Watching as fur ripples out across Amalia's face, Tobi laughs and shakes her head almost immediately. "Oh gods, you'd outrun me in a second. I mostly just get someone to throw tennis balls around for me." Her one unicorn-excursion aside, most of Tobi's exercise came in short stints. "It helps some of my patients who need to work on their coordination, and most prefer to have a dog to play with than a doctor lecturing them." She adds with a laugh.

"Free will." Tobi replies with a soft shrug. "They are free to do what they want, or think they need to. Everyone here knows the consequences." As for the crime? Frowning, the doctor nibbles at the inside of her cheek for a moment. "It could have been anything really. Crimes of ego and selfishness receive harsher punishments. The Voice always thought she was better than everyone else, and knew more. So...crimes that involve theft or manipulation are treated quite harshly."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
even when i was a child
Amalia hears the silent words, and the sadness that runs beneath them. Is it lonely? she questions gently, thinking about how lonely she's been, without the connections of other Attuned. She smiles at the suggestion that patients like a dog more than a doctor; certainly her mother would have been more popular, had she canine characteristics. "If you ever need help in the clinic... I know a little from, from my mom. Maybe some of your patients like cats."

Tobi's explanation of the punishment system does little to put Amalia at ease. Shifting her weight and her gaze, the Angel feels her frown deepen as vines curl among her hair. "If it works so well, why is it still needed?" she counters gently, flinty eyes returning to October. "What happens after they're punished? They don't change from it. Just grow angry, and afraid." Resentful, as the Voice had been before her terrible rise.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
It's a quiet consolation
It's... Is it lonely? Tobi isn't actually sure. There is a hierarchy in Stormbreak just as there is in the rest of the world, and though being an attuned is certainly not frowned upon here, it is different from being an accepted. It's okay. Tobi concludes with a well-meaning shrug. Not one to complain, the doctor's life is Perfectly Alright. If she was lonely, what of it? There were worse things to be.

"I would like that. And I can always use an extra set of hands." She agrees with a bright smile.

'Well...like I said..' Tobi replies as the conversation swings back towards the gruesome and sad. 'There will always be people who would rather break the rules than ask for help.' Freewill was a double edged sword, as those in Stormbreak well knew. "They are released, and...what they choose to learn from it is up to them. We don't force things on anyone...the rules here are clear. Everyone knows what happens if you break them. There are so many ways of getting food or shelter or help here, but if you don't want to take it and want to make your own choices...Stormbreak will let you. But she'll punish you for it."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
even when i was a child
"They should make amends to those they've wronged. Repay their debts through service, instead of pain. Nobody is helped by this system." She shakes her head, clearly set in her dislike for the criminal justice system Stormbreak seems to boast. But it is something October has grown up with, and as stubborn as Amalia is, she does not want to argue with someone who could be a friend. So she shrugs expressively, hands up in a but so it is motion, and turns back toward the crowd.

"So. Tennis balls." It's an offered bone (get it?), a way to bring their conversation back to pleasant things. "What makes it a 'tennis' ball?" She's stepped off the curb now, towards the crowds that mill about the various vendors and stands. One of them entices her with its array of spices; unthinking, Amalia partially shifts her nose, sensitive feline nostrils flaring to take in the aroma, carefully separating it from the stench of the street.