Locke
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

{The letter has a distinct smell of lavender and arrives with a larger parcel that's carefully wrapped as well as topped with a black bow}

Dear Locke,

First let me begin by saying that I hope you made it safely and are managing to get settled in there. Hopefully it isn't too dreary compared to Torchline. Have you been around the city yet? I hear the architecture there is amazing and I can't wait to see it once I'm able to visit.

The monsoons are starting here and I have feeling that they're going to be pretty bad this year. I'm not sure if the Halenani is as prepared as it needs to be, but I'm hoping that it'll hold with what I managed to get done. I haven't been taking too many clients due to trying to get everything ready. It's been a little hectic, but I'm doing okay.

I wasn't sure if you'd be missing here or not so I wanted to send over some goodies just in case. I can't wait to hear from you. You'll have to tell me all about your training. Have you gotten a dragon yet? How's it been hanging out with Ronin? Tell him I said hi and that I'll come visit you guys soon.

Sincerely,

Mae

{Inside the package are a number of things. A small bottle of spiced rum, a vial of sand, a palm sized conch shell, a small tin of her lavender tea blend, and a braided cord bracelet with a piece of purple seaglass secured in the middle.}
Poor little girl
still waiting for her happy ending
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
i am baby
(The writing is.. Not good. Most of the words are spelled phonetically. (Some he has clearly copied from her letter.) It's also written kind of lopsided and messily. There are little doodles all over the edges of the paper, a dragon head, a sprig of lavender, what is probably supposed to be Maeve, and a little cake among smaller things.)

Dear Mae,

The trip went well, being on a skyboat is different than a regular boat. I’ve seen a few places but I’ve mostly been training and trying to cook. You’ll like it here, I think. The buildings are nice. I haven’t been to the Silk Houses but I’ve been told they’re pretty. It’s been raining but not like Torchline in monsoon season.

I hope you’re safe. (Something is scribbled out here.) I hope you’ve been sleeping well. (Something else is scratched out here.) I’m sure your clients understand. I hope the Halenani makes it.

No dragon yet but Ronin is pretty cool. I will let him know. And thank you for the goodies. I made some cakes with the tea you sent. They were a big hit with the other recruits. I hope the one I sent you survives. I also made you some cookies. The food here is so bland compared to Torchline. I’ll give you whatever you want if you send me some real spices.

Good luck Mae, I can’t wait to see you.

-Locke

(There’s a little parcel as well with the lavender tea cake and several cookies. There’s also a small pouch of brightly colored candies shaped like little dragon eggs.)
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

(This letter arrives in a deep purple envelope with a wax seal that has an intricate M stamped into it. Another parcel is attached. This one slightly bigger and heavier than the last. Once more it is topped with a black bow.)

My Dearest Locke,

I'm happy to hear that you made it there safely. I was worried you wouldn't make it out ahead of the monsoons. It's a relief to know that you did. Did you get sick on the skyboat? Is it like getting seasick? Would it be called airsick? I know that's probably a silly question, but I'm a bit curious. Mostly because I've never been on either, but I know that getting seasick is a thing that happens. What are the Silk Houses? Is that meant to be like the entertainment district? I'm excited to see it all. You'll have to do some proper exploring so you can show me around when I finally get there to visit. Do your best to stay dry and make sure your socks don't get wet.

I'm safe as I can be. We boarded up the windows and the rain hasn't gotten in yet. Sleep has been... difficult. I swear the thunder is louder this year than it was last year. I'm trying my best to manage. I miss having you in my bed. (The words are struck out enough that they're hard to read.) They always do. It's been quiet. I'm not sure too many will brave the weather to come shack up with us. I hope it makes it too. Not sure what I'll do if something happens to her.

I'm happy to report that it did survive and it was absolutely delicious. I didn't know you could bake with tea. A whole new world of possibilities has opened up. I've packed some different blends besides the lavender one for you to try. You'll have to let me know how they turned out. The cookies were really good as well. I've had them with my tea for the last few days. I wish I'd known you could bake before you left. I would have given you access to the kitchen while you were here.

You should know better than to offer me whatever I want, Locke. You're lucky I'm so nice and won't take advantage of you. You're also lucky that I like you so much.

I hope you get your dragon soon.

Missing you dearly,

Mae

PS. Thank you for the candies. I'd happily accept more if you cared to send them. My sweet tooth was incredibly satisfied.

PSS. Let me know which of the teas you like most. I'll send you a bigger tin of it next time you write.

(Inside the parcel is a collection of spices. All of the standard ones available in Torchline and a few more exotic ones that were clearly imported. There are also various tins of tea. Each one is labelled in Maeve's clear script and inside is a piece of paper describing the mix as well as flavor of each one.)
Poor little girl
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
i am baby
(The writing is slightly better this time. It’s clear he’s been practicing. Or trying to at least. Attached is another package. Because goodies! There's still drawings all over the paper, a skyboat, a bunch of cakes and candies, a pair of socks.)

Dear Kitten, (There’s a cat drawn here)

I think airsick is right. And no, I didn’t. I don’t get seasick either though so I might be a bad judge of that. I did see someone get sick though. It made for a fun trip. You’ll have to let me know how you feel when you come here. I think the Silk Houses are something like that. Ronin said there is a really nice brothel there. I kind of want to go but I think I’ve been spoiled. I promise to keep my socks dry. Just for you.

I hope you start to sleep better soon. I miss being in your bed too. The barracks are cozy enough but I can’t say I don’t miss your sheets. I hope you get more clients soon, or sleep. Or both. Monsoon season will be over before you know it and you can come visit me or maybe I can come visit you. You could always just come up here, if something happens. Or I’m sure one of your contacts in Torchline can do something. I’m sure you have them.

I wasn’t really thinking about baking when I was there but I’ll keep it in mind. I really like the spicy one you sent. It’s keeping me warm on the colder, rainier days. I didn’t know you liked sweets but I’ve found you some more. I hope they don’t melt in the Torchline heat. I’m glad you liked the cake though.

Please take advantage of me.

Take care,
-Locke

PS. I hope you like the candies. The Frey ones are my favorites.

PSS. Still no dragon. I think it's gonna be awhile.

(In the package, there’s another tin of the dragon egg candies, a box of phallically shaped chocolates filled with creme, along with a variety of taffies. There’s also a box of current teacakes.)
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

(This letter comes in the same envelope with the same seal and the same lavender scent. Another package is attached and it is much bigger than the last. It begs to question how Maeve is managing to get things sent out in monsoon season.)

My Dearest Not Quite a Dragoon Yet Locke,

I suppose that's good that you didn't get sick on the way over. I'm not sure I'll be so lucky when I come to see you. Given that portal travel makes me feel sick. I imagine that travelling by airship might have the same effect? That's yet to be determined. Another brothel you say? Perhaps you should go and scope it out for me. Let me know about my competition. As the new acting Madame of the Halenani I need to make sure we are at the top of our game.

Admittedly I'm not sleeping better. Things are rough here. I've never liked the monsoons, but they're giving me more time with my thoughts than I like. Never really realized how lonely I was until everyone left. I miss you. A lot. Sometimes I wonder if I should have just gone with you, but I needed to be here for my workers. Especially with Phoebe being called away by Frey. I have made friends the governor here. His name is Sunjata though I'm sure you know that. He's a bit of a mess, but kind. He has a little girl. I've been helping him handle things since his husband is gone right now on a trip. I suppose if something does happen I can stay there until it is safe enough to travel. I wish you were here, but I'm glad you're doing well there.

What were you thinking about while you were here? Surely nothing is more important than baking? I think even the gods would agree. Am I still allowed to make jokes about the gods now that you're there or that considered bad taste? I'm glad you like the tea. I thought that might be one of your favorites. The candies didn't melt and they were very good. I've been trying to ration them so I don't eat them all in one go. A little hard when there isn't much else to do.

Maybe I will when I'm there. Since you said please.

Try not to miss me too much,

Mae

PS. Those were really good. I see why they're made for Frey. I showed them to Phoebe and she laughed even though her whole face was red. The other girls thought they were funny too.

PSS. You'll get one soon. I'm sure of it.

PSSS. I know this isn't the same as my sheets, but I hope it'll do.

(Inside the package is one of the throw blankets from her bed. A soft black fabric that's warm and smells just like lavender. There is a swatch of the dried flowers folded up in the blankets. One of the corners has a dragon embroidered on it in silver thread. A little heart with an M rests in the curl of its tail.)
Poor little girl
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
Dearest Madam Kitten,

I hope you don’t get sick when you visit me. But if it’s bad, I’m sure I’ll have some time to come visit you. I told you I have no business in brothels. At least not usually. I’ve heard it’s pretty nice. I do miss the smell of sex though so maybe I’ll swing by. Any brothel secrets I should know? A special menu?

Everyone left? Aren’t the girls with you? I miss you too though. The barracks smell like sweat and steel and leather which is well and good but not as soothing as lavender. You’re friends with Sunjata? How did that happen? Did you sleep with him? (This is scratched out but not very well.) I feel better knowing you can probably stay with him if you need. As long as no one sets his house on fire again. I didn’t know he had a daughter. I’m sure she likes having a woman around. I bet you make a good stand in mom. I wish you were here though. I have so many things I want to show you.

I may be a good cook but some things are even tastier. Please keep making jokes about the gods. I am. I haven’t been smote yet but I’m waiting. Honestly I hope it’s Frey who does it. Glad you liked the candies though. I’ll be sure to send some with each letter. I hope you find something to do soon. Or someone. I’ve heard that’s a good way to pass the time.

I’ll say please all you want.

Still not a Dragoon,
Locke

PS. Thanks for the blanket. It’s so soft and I can tell everyone is jealous.

PSS. I don’t know if you’d want something like this but I don’t have a blanket to send.

(Enclosed with the letter is one of his shirts. It’s soft from being worn and shows signs of age. It’s clear he’s worn it a lot. There’s also more candies in a variety of shapes and flavors and colors. There’s also a bag of ‘dragon poop’ chocolates.)
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

My Dearest Locke,

I hope I don't get sick either. Remi dropped by to visit too. I think I might have another way to travel if I can't manage the skyboat or the portal. I'm not really sure how it works exactly, but it's a possibility. You miss the smell of sex? I don't recall my room smelling like sex. Something you aren't telling me? As far any secrets... There aren't many. Be nice to the workers and they'll be extra nice to you. Secret menus aren't something I know about either, but the workers might have some to share.

That isn't what I mean. The girls are still here. Everyone is still here. I mean the people who know me as more than just a the Madame. Something happened before we made up. A girl I was with. A girl I liked and was going to try to get to know. When we weren't talking and you were avoiding me. I know we haven't talked much outside of sex. I didn't want to weigh things down. Not when we were only just starting to figure things out. Not when we said we were going to try. Except she said something that I haven't really been able to shake. That being with me was a mistake. It got to me, Locke. Especially after you left the way you did. I don't blame you for that. We talked about it and I understand. I know this is hard for you. I know that I'm a lot and maybe ask for too much. Part of me selfishly wish that you didn't go, but I'm glad you did. I'm glad that you're finally out the way you wanted to be.

As far as Sunjata goes... I met him at the cathedral one night. It wasn't too long after the trail and he was going through a hard time. Still is actually. (There is a heavy ink spot here as if the quill was pressed against the parchment with hesitation.) I did sleep with him. I have more than once. He's alone right now. His wife left him and his husband, Nate, left on a trip. They're taking a break. He's raising his little girl all by himself right now. She's five. I haven't gotten to meet her officially yet, but I think I will soon. I suppose I will if I have to stay with him if something happens to the Halenani. He's kind enough that he'd let me. I think he's safe from fires now. So that shouldn't be a problem. You're kind to say such things about me. Even though there isn't really any proof that I would be. I like to think I would though.

I wish I was there too, Locke. I want to see everything. I want to see you.

You'll have to tell me what those things are. I can't say I'm not intrigued. I don't have many jokes to make about the gods, but I'll try to think of some before I come to see you. Please do your best not to be struck down by the gods before I manage to make it there. Please keep sending candies and I'll do my best to try and find something to pass the time.

So he does have manners. Good to know.

Sincerely,

Mae

PS. I'm glad you like the blanket. I made it myself.

PSS. It smells like you. Thank you for sending it.
Poor little girl
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
My dearest Mae,

That’s exciting. I really want to see you. I hope you two figure it out soon. Your room definitely smelled like sex, at least after we were done. Don’t feel bad though, I liked it. Still do. Gets me through the night. I’ll always be good to the girls. I may be deprived but I’m not depraved. Well maybe a little bit.

You aren’t a lot and you aren’t a mistake. (There are several lines after this scratched out.) I’m still sorry. You deserve better.

I’m glad you have someone with you though. And I’m glad he has you. Look, I don’t care if you sleep with other people, Mae. No need to hide it from me. You’ll have to tell me all the juicy details when you get here. Except if he’s better in bed than me. I’ve met Nate, once, before I left. Didn’t know he was married to a woman too though. Don’t worry, I won’t tell. And I know what I’m talking about. You take care of your girls. You take care of me. Kind of the same thing.

I think about all kinds of things when I’m with you. Maybe when you’re here, I’ll tell you some of them. I’ve enclosed a book for you. There’s a huge library here and I remember seeing books in your room. I don’t know if it’s the kind you like but they told me the sex scenes in it were very good. I hope it helps the days go by a bit faster.

I have manners,
Locke

PS. I didn’t know you could sew. I’ve enclosed some fabrics I found. No idea if they’ll be of use to you.

(There are a few bolts of various fabrics as well as more candy. There’s also a neatly wrapped book tucked into the fabrics.)
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

My Dearest Locke,

I promise that as soon as I get things sorted I'll come to see you. Cross my heart. There is nothing more that I want right now. I guess I was too distracted by other things to notice the smell. That's what gets you through the night? Nothing else? Don't lie, Locke. You're a little depraved. Lucky for you I kind of like it. I like you.

I'm not so sure you're right about that. I am a lot. I wat a lot of things. I want a home, a family, someone who loves me. I'm not asking you to give that all to me now. I'm not even asking it from you in the future. Unless you maybe want that too, but I don't know what you want and I'm not sure you even know what you want. Besides what you've already done. You don't need to tell me. You don't need to say anything one way or the other. I just want to be honest because I'm tired of reducing myself to make other people happy. I want you to be honest with me too. Even if you think it'll hurt my feelings.

I'm glad too. It serves as a good distraction. He and I are friends. It's nothing more than that, though. He loves Nate so much. I don't think I've ever seen someone so desperately in love. I'm admittedly jealous of it. He deserves it, though. Deserves to be happy. Oh, I told him I'd ask you for some recipes. He's learning to cook because Nate used to do a lot of it. All of it. So anything that you could share I'd be glad to pass on.

If you really want to know about my sexual endeavors I'll tell you all about them. There haven't been that many outside of him. I don't think it's a secret that he had a wife too, but I would appreciate whatever discretion when it comes to him. Too many people would be happy to twist anything they hear about him. I didn't realize that qualified. I like taking care of people. I like taking care of you.

You better. I'm going to ask you when I see you and you better have an answer for me. Thank you for the book. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but it seems promising so far. I'll let you know how well the sex is written. I'm sure you're dying to know. I'd like to go to the library with you when I come to visit.

I believe you. You'll have to show them to me next time I see you.

Sincerely yours,

Mae

PS. I loved the fabrics. Especially the purple one. I'll have to make a pretty dress to wear for you. As always, thank you for the candy. I think about you every time I have some.
Poor little girl
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
(There are several little ink marks on the page, like he's started to write several times but started over or stopped. If she looks closely, there are clear marks of the page over this having been used. Little bits of ink have bled through. There are long paragraphs and sentences scratched out all throughout the letter.)

Maeve,

I think we should talk about this in person. And you're half right. I know what I want. I just don't know what I need. But I do want you, in whatever capacity you'll have me.

I've put a few simple recipes in with this letter. He can add to them if he likes. I made a little list of things that go good with each meal but can be added or taken out. You'd be surprised how little kids notice you just swapped one meat for another or rice for pasta.

I'm glad you like the book so far. I'm sure we'll make good use of the library while you're here.

-Locke

PS. I can't wait to see it.
LOCKE