good for the soul
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
It feels weird to be back in Torchline, and not necessarily in a good way. It feels like papercuts on her heart, and Vai purposely avoids the city and the port as much as possible. She doesn't need to see the house where she used to leave, and she doesn't need to imagine what bottle Zephyr has found himself at the bottom of, not today. So it's under the bright Longheat sun that she makes her way up to the lighthouse, her shoulders bare and freckled, her clothes moss and mud stained, her hair wild and smelling of lavender.

That's the only downside of her move, as far as she's concerned - she can't spend time with anyone who isn't allowed in the Greatwood. And Nate falls under that umbrella. And while she doesn't know if he's home or not today, she can at least try. So it's holding a basket of herbs that the witch reaches out to knock at the door, wondering who will answer, if anyone.
and the sun
will rise
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
- NATE -
i was standing on holy ground,
so heart don't fail me now
Unexpected knocks at the door are beginning to stress Nate out far more than is healthy, his brow furrowing in immediate suspicion as this latest knock echoes through the house. Still, paranoia doesn’t stop him from hurrying down the hall, cracking the door open and staring through the crack. And almsot immediately throwing it open fully, once he’s sees who’s on the other side.

Nate reaches out to bundle Vai into a tight hug, pulling her into the shade of the house with the motion. A hand appears to take the basket from her hands, half so it’s safe from the bulk of his body and half so her arms are free to reciprocate.

”I missed you.” Nate rumbles when he finally steps back, hands on the witches shoulders, his gaze slipping for a moment with the sincerity. He manages to recover though, leading Vai deeper into the house, towards the heart of it, the kitchen.  ”What brings you this far out?”
and even if the walls were falling down
it will always be us, this is holy ground
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
A crack appears in the door and a familiar blue eye peeps out. Smirking, Vai tilts her head as if to try and decipher why Nate is playing coy, only suddenly he's bundling her up inside. "Hallo Nate!" Her cheerful greeting is muffled - she only notices that her basket has been taken, not by which hand, focusing instead on hugging him tightly back. "I missed you too. I'm sorry I haven't visited sooner," she murmurs, stepping back to look him over with a smile that fades by degrees.

Vai notes the lost eye, and the basket grasped by a hand that belongs to Nate but doesn't, as well as all the other markers of stress, of a difficult few weeks if not more. "I came to see you," she says as if it should be obvious, giving him a playful shove as they head towards the kitchen. "I wanted to see how you were doing. I also brought a few seedlings from the Greatwood to add to the herb garden, and some vegetables and mushrooms."
and the sun
will rise
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
The false hand is swapped out for a real one when they part, one of Nate’s hands lingering on the witches shoulder. ”You’re busy. Moving can’t be easy.” He offers, content to not get bogged down in the details. Truth be told, he wouldn’t have been surprised if she never visited. ”How long are you staying for?”

”Shit, you’re spoiling me.” Visits and greenery? Was it his birthday? ”I’ve been having some trouble with the garden, since that mob stomped it down I haven’t been able to get much to grow.” Somehow, his voice keeps it cheeriness while he speaks, despite the subject, the way it drifts close to hurt.

”I actually uh... I had something for you too.” An uncharacteristic shyness creeps over Nate, his gaze falling away as he sets the basket down on the counter and reaches up to a high shelf, pulling down a bundled together pile of large cards that he hand Vai without fanfare. ”I uh, dunno, thought you might be interested in some of my recipes.” Though if he were pressed, he wouldn’t be able to say why he thought that.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Easier this time, since I was moving back to a familiar place," she admits with a small smile. It's difficult to confess to preferring a place when it's nowhere near any of the people she loves (except Felix), especially when some of those people are even banned from it. "I came for the afternoon - I wasn't sure if you'd be at home, so I didn't make any plans beyond that," she explains.

Scoffing at the accusation that he's spoiling her, Vai can only shoot him a wicked little smile that suggests he should put up with it. "Oh, you have? That's a shame..." Her brows furrow, Vai nibbling at the inside of her lip. "What if I bring some soil from the Greatwood here for you? You can plant herbs and other seedlings in the fresh soil, and maybe it will help to heal the garden."

Already she's looking at the herbs she's brought as if wondering whether she has time to nip back home and bring the rich earth here, so she and Nate might get to work. But then blue eyes track him up and up to the shelf he's reaching for, and Vai tilts her head to try and see what he's got for her. "You do? You... oh, thank you!" Her smile is bright and warm as she accepts the cards, Vai already thumbing through them excitedly. "This is an honour. Would you like to make something with me now? You can show me how it's done."
and the sun
will rise
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Nate nods his understanding, a smile playing at his lips. "I'm actually home more often now than I ever was. I don't know... if you heard anything but uh... shit's been kind of weird here." An understatement, though Nate has no idea how much of an understatement it really is quite yet. Reaching out to cup Vai's face in a close gesture, his head shaking a little. "That would be lovely, but it can wait until next time you come out and visit. So it had better be soon." A bright laugh escapes him as he turns to grab his impromptu gift and thrust it into her hands.

"It's... it's not really that much." Bashful is not a usual guest on Nate's face, sitting awkwardly on his features before he distracts away from it, reaching out to tap the cards. "There's some uh, some substitutions and shit on there, stuff that's different from home, but uh... it all still tastes good." A bright smile stretches over his features as he nods, reaches out to pull two cards out from the pile he'd offered out.

Flicking them up like a card trick, Nate holds them up so Vai can read the neatly scrawled labels on each, Meat Loaf Roll and Saint Day Cake respectively. "Do you wanna do dinner, or dessert?" It was her choice, and obviously she would be staying to sample what they made together.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"I heard that things have been a little turbulent," Vai admits with a gentle nod. "I'm not fully caught up on things, though. It must be bad for you to be cooped up at home - what's been going on?" She smiles around his hands, her cheeks squishing against his palms, and when he releases her it's with a decisive nod. "Next time, then. We'll have a late afternoon out in the garden, when the sun isn't too strong." Good for the plants and probably good for Nate too, that way.

Waving him away as if to refuse to accept the way he tries to downplay the recipes, Vai is glancing at the two cards he picks out with curiosity. "Luckily for you I will have never tried the originals, so this will be it for me." She winks, peering between the recipes and humming under her breath. "I think dessert for today, don't you? Between the two of us we can rustle up dinner off the cuff, but I'm curious as to what makes this cake worthy of a saint's day."
and the sun
will rise
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Well I actually took something of a... a break, you could call it so... I’m happy to be here.” There’s no hint of a lie in his tone, or in the shy smile on his face, like the words are some grand secret he’s sharing. Happiness is often hard won, especially, it seems, for them, and this is no different. “I don’t know if I could explain it all if I had all day, honestly.” But he’ll try, eventually. While they’re wrangling dough and fillings.  Or maybe next time, while they work on the garden. It isn’t like anything else huge will happen between now and then, right?

Luckily!” Nate repeats with a roll of his single eye, leaning over Vai’s shoulders as if he needs to read the card himself to remember exactly what they need. “I have to make sure it’s perfect for you now.” A grin belies the serious tone in his voice, one of Nate’s hand squeezing Vai’s shoulder close before he pulls away entirely.

It’s simple enough, really, but the distraction of making food seems to have conversation flowing easier, Nate explaining the way he’d managed to anger a goddess, the way the very same goddess had her fingers in some piece of him, if he word could be trusted, and the new child who graced their lives. Never a dull moment, apparently, even the relative peace here distracted from by everything else Nate tries to not think about too much.

Done~ <3