[SEASONAL EVENT][OPEN] Glowy Goodness
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe had heard about these Luxere creatures but she had yet to see one, a littler surprising perhaps given how often she went out into the woods to forage. But she was curious. Reindeer with glowing antlers? Not only was it peculiar it sounded positively mystical! Magical even! She always liked deer, their gentle nature resonated with her. So pretty glowy ones were particularly fascinating.

So Phoebe bundled up and set out. She had packed a little bag of treats. There were some oats and carrots mostly, as well as a few sugar cubes. Basically anything she might thought something that seemed akin to a horse would like. She had considering asking Remi or Rexanna to come along but she felt like she had been bothersome recently, and so trekked out on her own to find the pretty deer.
Phoebe
In a gentle way, you can shake the world
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
lily
from what i’ve tasted of desire
i hold with those who favor fire
Lily’s heard of the pretty reindeer, too, supposedly unlike the deer she’d been hunting with Deimos - and to be honest, she’s never even heard of reindeer before, but like a child, she is eager to see something with glowing horns.

She snags two slightly wrinkley apples from the church offering plate (she’s noticed Safrin doesn’t eat, so might as well put it to good use) and tucks them into the pockets of her coat, pulling all her layers in tight, to keep as much body heat in as possible. She’d always found Virginia winters cold - but this! This is something new entirely. Hesitant to ask where to go, or at what time of day (night? Wouldn’t that be better, in order to see the glowing horns?) she simply takes it upon herself to wander back to the Outskirts of the Settlement, back to the empty-ish, frozen fields.

Lily manages to find a wide swathe of trampled ground, but for a while that’s it - until she comes across another figure out here. Feeling rather emboldened as of late (who knows why!), the red head walks up to the bundled person and offers a quiet “Hello,” following it up with an equally hushed, “are you looking for the light up reindeer, too?” She offers Phoebe a quick smile, knowing she sounds absolutely silly, but the fact is that she can’t for the life of her remember what they’re called!

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe looked back when she heard a voice ever so softly call out to her. A red headed woman, who she noted was strikingly pretty, she didn't recognize was approaching. She smiled brightly, waving at the woman as she waited for her to catch up. "Yes I am! Are you as well? If so you can join me if you'd like." she said in her very friendly manner. In contrast to the cold around them, Phoebe was light sunlight - bright, warm, soothing.

Once the woman caught up, she set back out looking for these Luxere she had heard about. "My name is Phoebe, by the way. I'm a midwife. What's your name?" she asked quietly, still smiling. She didn't know much about these animals, but she figured they would be much the same as any other deer like animal. Quick to startle. Easy to scare. Very skittish. So that meant the best approach was to move slowly and quietly. Calm, soft voices and slow, measured movements. Her eyes scanned the horizon, hoping to see even a small herd somewhere nearby. "Do you know much about these Long Night rituals by chance? I am...sort of new around here." she asked conversationally.
Phoebe
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
lily
They are similar then; Lily is the light crackle of a cheery gathering, the voracious, greedy flames of an unchecked disaster, and also the stoked passions of a largely contained bonfire. She flares and dies in turn, but that light is always there - perhaps not as soothing as the midwife - but there is light all the same.

When Lily catches up to the younger woman, she lowers her voice, as if they were on some sort of secret mission. “Yes, thank you! I’m Lily. Nice to meet you." She flashes Phoebe a kind smile. "I'm new here too, so we’re in the same boat. Most of what I know is that we need to lure the deer in so they’ll stick around for LongNight… but I’m not sure why.” Interestingly enough, no one’s told her the exact reason for having the light up creatures around, just that they need to be.

So what, they’re warding off vampires or demons or something?

Anyway. Back to the reindeer.

The two ladies wander around together for awhile before Lily comes up with an idea. “What if they’re scared of us? We could leave the treats by the trees or something, and then climb them and wait and hope we don’t scare them off?”

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She was new here too, hm? "It seems there are a lot of us Outlanders all of a sudden. I wonder what brought us all here..." she said, wondering aloud but certainly expecting no answer. No one knew how they all ended up here, not even the Naturals. "I suppose the light of their horns would be useful to have around during Long Night. So that there is some light around, you know?" she said. It seemed the only real reason to have such urgency to have the Luxere around.

Lily did have a good point though. Maybe they were scared of them. Normal deer weren't particularly trusting of people after all. "Perhaps you're right." Phoebe said, looking around for a suitable perch. "That tree would be easy to get up on." she said. The blonde pointed out the tree and led the way over, scattering some of the treats she had around its base. There! A perfect little spot for Luxere to come graze. Then she made her way up onto one of the lower branches of the rather squat tree to wait with Lily.
Phoebe
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
lily
Indeed! The tree has some low limbs that look like they might be easy for the two of them to scramble up on, and maybe even a few boughs higher, if they aren’t too slippery from the snow. Hot on Pheobe’s heels, Lily waits until the younger woman has spread her treats out and then leaves her few apples in a straight line, nicely spaced apart, leading to the tree’s perimeter. There. All set.

Seeing that Phoebe is already situated, the redhead follows suit, boosting herself up - layers of clothing and all - to where the other sits. She wipers the tiny beads of sweat from her brow and enjoys the feeling of her feet dangling over the edge for a moment or two. It reminds her, ever so briefly, of a happier time, before she was a maidservant, before she knew about the truth of the world.

And before she knows it, she’s humming a little tune to herself - something her mother used to sing to her father, way back when. Funny how childhood events seem to stick with you more than the thing you did yesterday.

"So what's your story?" she asks, looking at Phoeve from the corner of her eye, most of her visual attention focused on looking for reindeer. To be honest, she thought the girl was too young to be a midwife, but then she knows nothing about physicians and nurses and birthing babies. Maybe it was easy to learn.

She's humming this, except not as classically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HEvFst_eoc
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"My story?" she said curiously, glancing over Lily. Oh. Meaning where she came from and all that. "I am from kingdom called Northwind. My father was a mason and mother used her horse shift to pull carts from the quarry. I started training as a midwife when I was 7. Then when I was 11 I was sent to finishing school at the same time by a duke as thanks for saving his wife during labor. She needed a caesarean and I was alone to do it." she said and shrugged a little. "Then I was sent to a settlement called Northaven...then some of us appeared here. What about you?" she asked.

As she did so, glowing lights appeared in the distance. Drawn in by Lily's humming and the smell of treats, a few Luxere showed up, happy to trot over and munch. Phoebe's eyes widened. They were beautiful she thought, especially their horns. She had never seen anything quite like them before! "Amazing..." she breathed.
Phoebe
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:
lily
Lily listens to Phoebe tell her story, genuinely interested in the whole midwifing thing. She nods at key points, though none of the places sound familiar. Bastien had said that they were the only ones from their world, and she’s beginning to think that means a lot more than she thought it did. “Me? Umm… I’m from a place called Portsmouth. In Virginia. my parents had too many kids and sold me off when I was little to be a wealthy girl’s housemaid. When she died, I ran away and earned my money by singing and performing in taverns. Entertaining men, mostly. It’s not a great story, really. And how I got here is even more confusing… but it is what it is, I suppose.”

She shrugs, making a bit of a face. Nothing she can do about her past or being here now, right? Luckily the Luxere intervene and keep her from needing to say any more about her life. She gasps, too, a wide smile spreading across her face as she watches the reindeer as they nibble at the snacks. Choosing to take a risk, Lily lets out a soft “Hello…” which draws their attention. One snorts, releasing a great puff of white, and seems to reach up to the two of them for more of whatever it is they have.

At that sign, Lily tries to slowly swing down from their wide bough - she doesn’t want to scare them away, but it seems like it might be ok to try and touch them...

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
It always surprised Phoebe to hear of the different places people came from. She was familiar with there being other dimensions and worlds, not just from here but from her homeland. But there were so many and so varied! And to think, all of these places existing all at once and never crossing except in the rarest of instances. It was mind boggling really, and made her feel very small and insignificant. Portsmouth, Virginia…she wondered briefly what it was like.

But there were glowing reindeer. That seemed much more important in the moment and Portsmouth, Virginia.

Lily made the first move to jump down and greet the Luxere, who fortunately didn’t seem to mind her getting close. So Phoebe followed suit, carefully scooting her way off the branch until her feet hit the ground with a soft thud. Grinning, she pulled out some apples and was more than pleased when a few approached and ate them right from her hand, allowing her to gentle stroke their faces. ”They are magnificent!” she breathed, in awe of the creatures.
Phoebe