a martyr on a bridge that's burning down
Pheebs
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
I stood outside when the roof gave in
You crawled from the wreckage you were lying in
Her laughter is a balm on his soul, inspiring a smile that’s like the sun to stretch across his face. The past days of loneliness don’t matter now. She is here, and now everything is right in the world. Though it does pull his attention to the lack of items and general clothes on her person, an inquisitive tick of his eyebrow preceding his question. ”Where have you been staying? Why didn’t you return to the Halenani?” He works there still, if irregularly these days, but it had only been so he could keep an eye out for her if she returned. The workers are the best of the best when it comes to gossip and leads.

None of that is pressing though. This is a far more drastic change, but Harper finds that his previous misgivings don’t even come to mind. Losing her for even the briefest amount of time has made him realize that he’ll take her however he can get her. At least now she will have power on her side. No longer so weak and easily torn from this world. If only he knew how much that strength had increased.

Wiping away her tears with gentle fingertips, he leans in to kiss her properly. Harper can smell the salt of her tears on her cheeks, but her lips are soft and familiar, and though he keeps it chaste he lingers. Infusing the kiss with all the relief and love he possibly can. When he pulls away he rests his forehead against her own. ”Of course. I love you, Phoebe.” He says it like an explanation. Like of course he will accept her, because he loves her, regardless of how much godhood runs in her veins. ”What now though? Does Frey want you to do something in particular, do we need to move?” Already willing to uproot and leave, to be wherever she is.
You're out of reach and we're out of time, I take it all and toe that line
You held my hand and pulled me down with you
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
"I heard someone else took over running it. So I stayed at the inn last night." she said with a light sigh. Phoebe had put her heart and soul into the Halenani, but she had been gone so long that now someone else ran it. It was probably for the best. At least it remained in good operation from what she heard. So instead of facing it while she was just getting her feet back under her, she had gone to the inn. Thankfully the innkeeper remembered her and let her stay on old favors.

The kiss was unexpected, he had been playing around it after all. Phoebe leaned into him, eyes fluttering closed. She had not even dared hope for such a reunion, yet here he was, exactly as she remembered. "I love you too." she said softly, smiling up at him, glad he stayed close. But of course, there were plans to be made. "No. Not now anyways. They brought me back here to get my feet under me...find out what all I have missed." There was time to figure out the next step, wherever that step might be. "Frey wishes me to ensure life continues on while the others fight. I'm not to get in the middle of it."

Easy for a god to say of course. But she already knew eyes were on her in hopes of recruiting her to their aid.
You thought you'd watch me fade away
When you broke me into pieces
But I gave I gave each piece a name
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Her disappointment - or perhaps resignation - is palpable. He can't imagine how hard it must be to build something up so intimately only to have it move on without you, leaving a vacant spot in your heart instead. "I'm sure you could still at least ask for your things back," he says softly, hating to think of not just the gown he'd had made for her being lost, but all the other beautiful things she had come to collect over time. It's a loss he doesn't want for her.

Phoebe's easy acceptance of his kiss only helps to smooth away his worries, the pieces finally falling back into their rightful places with the way her lips press against his own. He hasn't lost this alongside everything else. Harper still has her. His smile is boyish and a little tentative as it blossoms. "Then I suppose we should find a place of our own. What do you think?" Moving in together officially may seem a daunting prospect in any other way with how little time they've formally been together, but Harper simply isn't worried. He knows he wants to be with her, and that's that. He has always been that way. "It makes me feel a lot better, to know they want you to stay out of it. But I'll support you however you need. We'll figure it out together." It would take some pondering to determine exactly what Frey meant and how to achieve such a vague goal, but Harper is willing to put his mind to the matter if it helps Phoebe find her place.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe managed a small smile and nodded. "Remi mentioned that Maeve was running the place. I'm sure she will have my things." she said. Maeve was one of the workers who was close to Phoebe's own age and had shown great interest and initiative in learning the business side of the brothel. She didn't have the same medical skillset, but she was a smart woman who certainly had kept things running well.

The Nightingale let her hands fall from around his waist so she might hold his hands. The thought of living together didn't bother her. They already had sporadically prior to their relationship. But... "I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stay here. The gods have a way of sending their demigods too and fro. But you could come stay with me at the inn? And then there is the magic wagon if Maeve didn't get rid of it?" It would still be living together without having to worry about setting down actual roots. Flexibility was likely going to be important moving forward.

"For now, I just need to get my feet back under me. Figure out what I missed. Maybe find some shoes?" she said with a light laugh as she tapped her bare toes against the pier.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
”As beautiful as your dress is, you’ll want something warmer for monsoon season,” he agrees with a twinkle of that old mischief and amusement in his eyes. It has been gone so long as he searched for her alone, and yet so easily returns to its rightful place now that he has her back within arms reach.

Her hands find his waiting and eager to be held, accepting any amount of contact she is willing to give. Harper knows he will likely be overbearing for the next few weeks as he wraps his mind back around the fact that she has returned. Demanding contact, sneaking kisses and touches, needing her to be within his line of sight lest the anxiety creep in. They will deal with it as it comes, he’s sure, but it awaits them all the same. ”Wherever you go, I’ll be there.” The vow has a gravity all of its own. It’s broken only by his crooked smile. ”I do quite miss that wagon though.” It is a wonderful bit of magic, and had served them well when they’d moved to Torchline. Surely it will feel like home in no time once more.

Glancing down at her bare feet where they tap against the wood beneath, Harper chuckles. ”Need me to carry you?” Teasing jumps to his tongue as naturally as breathing, but he’s more than happy to do so if she needs it. ”You were already in the right place for bartering for them though. The offer does stand however,” he assures with a wink. Even with their combined absence, the merchants still know of them. They’ll likely be able to procure shoes for Phoebe within moments.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe grinned and nodded. "And I probably shouldn't wear the same thing until monsoon season." she added with a light laugh. She was relieved to hear though that he was willing to be a bit nomadic for a time. It wasn't terribly surprising though - Harper was a fairly go with the flow sort of fellow. "I hope the wagon is still around. It would be pretty hard to replace." A magic, self-propelled wagon that was bigger on the inside? Definitely not a commodity one came across everyday.

At the notion of carrying her, the Nightingale laughed and shook her head. "No, I've done just fine walking around barefoot until now." she said with a grin. Besides, she had come here with the intention of getting some shoes and a change of clothes anyways. Whether Maeve had her things or not, she needed something in the more immediate future. So the midwife made quick work of selecting a flowy dress and some sensible shoes. Thankfully, the favors owed her from her time as the Halenani Madame were many.

"Will you come back with me?" she asked Harper then, wondering if he could join her back at the inn so they could catch up or if he had places to be.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper's laughter is warm as it burbles from his chest to his tongue, thawing away the ice of solitude and fear that had encased him since he awoke. "No, I dare say no level of cleaning of it or your own skin would work in that scenario." A hand falls to touch the silky material, appreciating the finery against his scarred and calloused hands. "Not to mention what a fashion faux pas it would be." His wink is all play, crooked grin like a shaft of sunlight through tumultuous clouds. Oh how he has missed her. As if his brain somehow knew all along that they were parted even when he wasn't conscious enough to realize it.

He clucks his tongue at her denial, fondness on his features. "I'll have to wait for the next opportunity then." Whatever affords him the ability to have her in his arms, carting her around like a sack of potatoes and jostling laughter out of her lungs the way he had that day at the beach. The memory of that day replays in his head as he stays at her side, lingering as close as he can while she makes her selections without actively wrapping around her like an overly affectionate octopus.

At her question he seeks her hand, twining their fingers together and pinning her with an intense look. "You're not getting rid of me for some time yet." When it inevitably has to happen Harper will have to cope with the twisted feeling in his stomach that demands he keep her in his sight. Tugging gently, he moves them back into the throng of people, heading towards the inn. It's her room of course, so he will let her speak to the workers there, but there is nothing that could possibly stand to be more important than her in this moment.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I am so out of the fashion loop by now, I am not sure a faux pas can be avoided, even in clean clothes." she quipped back with a light laugh as she perused the stalls for the few things she needed. At the notion of finding another occasion to carry her around, she simply laughed. She was certain he would have plenty of opportunities, warranted or not, if only because he was looking for them.

The Nightingale smiled up at him warmly as he took her hand, glad that he didn't have anything pressing to take him away. It was still surreal after all, seeing him here, holding his hand, knowing he wasn't lost into the ether like so many in Caido seemed to be. "Good. I don't want to be rid of you." she said with a smile, content to walk back to the inn with him in comfortable silence. His presence was more gratifying than any conversation anyways.

The innkeepers didn't question or mind the midwife returning with someone in tow. Like most Torchers, they knew it was in their best interest to simply mind their own business. One could never know when nosiness could land them in the company of the ill intentioned in this tropical paradise after all. The room itself was small, simple, clearly intended for only one or two people. But it did have a lovely view of the ocean - not that it could really be avoided anywhere you went in Torchline. As she set her new things down on a chair, she glanced out the window. The skies were sunny and clear, but all too soon they would be filled with clouds and heavy downpours. "What would you think of spending monsoon season somewhere else?" she asked, looking back at him. While she was here to get her feet under her...it would be difficult to do so if she was confined to the indoors for the rest of the season.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
“I’d still find you beautiful even in the worst combination you could manage,” he assures, smitten and shameless about it. Harper is not the type to believe in stoicism with loved ones. Outside of battle and patrol, away from death and war, he sees no need for reticence. Life is already short enough. Already he has had a taste of what it would be like to lose her. Why then should he hide or withdraw, or even hold back any of his cheesy comments?

Her own sentiments only warm that cold place her absence had left, and he pressed a kiss to her cheek fleetingly before they begin their journey back to the inn. The sound of the crowd dwindles to nothing, and the warmth of the inn chases away any residual chills from the spring weather outside. As they reach the room and she sets her things down and looks out the window, Harper takes a moment to merely watch her. The sunlight striking her golden hair, the way the dress curves around her and shimmers in the backlight. Drinking in the view of her that he has missed. For longer than he is consciously aware of perhaps, but which his heart seems to recall all the same.

As such he’s sure when she turns around to talk that she sees the expression on his face, but it melts easily enough into a smile. “Well I certainly don’t like the rain. It would be very easy to convince me.” And as he’d said before, wherever she goes he will follow.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe indeed caught the look on his face - though she wasn't sure what it was. Awe? Adoration? Longing? Perhaps a mix of all of them? Their situations were so different after all. The Nightingale had long since come to grips with Harper having disappeared, his absence in her life having stretched long enough that she had no other choice but to grieve his loss and move on. But Harper had no such recollection, and her disappearance had been fresh enough to have still been an open wound. And so she smiled and returned to his side, or front rather, wrapping her arms loosely around his waist as she leaned against him.

"Cian is in Stormbreak." she reminded. The man who had visited her out of the blue, the one she had discussed with him that day on the beach. With that in mind, he might be less keen on following her there...or letting her meander that way for that matter. "But...Frey apparently has special gardens there...and it is a large enough city I am sure." The bigger the city, the easier it was to blend in and hide away. "Apparently he hasn't even sought out Remi." Which...was honestly a major reassurance to her. Remi had been a demigod far longer than she had after all. If the Order knew Frey was keen on her, certainly they knew Remi was already demi-fied. And if they hadn't begun to antagonize him...why would they seek her out? It seemed a reasonable assumption anyways.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Her gaze does nothing to shutter the expression on his face, willing to be vulnerable with her in ways he isn’t with others. Oh, they may think Harper wears his heart on his sleeve, almost obnoxiously open with his emotions, but it’s a useful defense to keep people from looking too close. At the tainted, broken, rotted parts beyond. Though he’s still reluctant to show Phoebe those parts - even if it’s inevitable with how tied to her he is - he doesn’t mind her knowing how broken he was in her absence. How fresh it all still feels.

It only strengthens the embrace he pulls her into, breathing in her scent as golden hair tickles against his cheek. Though he frowns at Cian’s name, Harper doesn’t immediately object at least, and is rewarded for his patience by the news of Frey’s lands. It makes sense then that their new demigod would be drawn there. “I’m not sure how to get there, or if we can during the monsoons. But if you feel like it’s a risk worth taking, I’ll agree.” Turning his head to press a kiss to her temple. “And if he approaches you at all, I’ll be there with you already.” Hopefully it wouldn’t devolve into a fight if the man hadn’t approached Remi yet, but Harper isn’t willing to ignore the potential for it. Not with Phoebe on the line.

Pulling back from her only enough to strip his shirt free, he picks her up without a care and sets her gently on the bed, toeing off his shoes as he goes before climbing in himself. Using his arm to gently pull at her, encouraging her to lay down with him. “Just let me hold you a while. Please.” He needs to forget the emptiness of the space beside him, fill it with her physical presence, her warmth and life.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled at him, giggling at his sudden show of bravado. "Then he'd best be scared. I can't imagine what you'd do if you got protective." she teased lightly. Of course she knew he was protective - he always had been in little ways. But with the flow of their relationship, she had never really seen how he would handle jealousy or anger inducing situations. Regardless, she was glad that he was at least willing to go. "I think it would be good to go and see what is there. Perhaps I will find some clues as to what exactly Frey wishes me to do." she said. Really that was the biggest conundrum. Having not been part of whatever divine meeting had taken place with the other demigods, she felt a little out of the loop.

But she didn't have much time to ponder it as he suddenly pulled away and stripped off his shirt. The Nightingale blinked, having not expected that without any warning, and before she could ask or really comprehend it, she found herself up in the air and then sat on the bed. Well then. Apparently her afternoon was going to go far differently than she had anticipated! Not that she would complain. Seemed the proper way to spend her first day as a demigod of Frey after all!

Though, in true Harper fashion, he surprised her again by going down a much more wholesome path. Cuddling. Phoebe smirked, laughing a little as she obliged and snuggled up against his chest, her legs finding a comfortable spot wrapped around his. "You just want to hold me, hm?" she said in a lightly teasing tone. In all fairness, she would have been very happy with that too. Cuddles were one of her favorites as physical affection was her preferred love language.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Her teasing is endured with an endeared smile, but his arms squeeze around her just a little. “I hope you never see it,” he murmurs all the same, reluctant to ruin the gossamer moment between them with bloodied nightmares and past actions that still haunt him. “Which just means you have to spend all your time with me instead.” Pinching her side playfully, hoping to distract from the temporary blip of emotion.

“Then as soon as we’re clear, we’ll head straight there. I do have to see Safrin, but it shouldn’t hurt any plans.” Hopefully she will be proud of him for that - how often had she chided him in the past for feeling like he couldn’t take up the Goddess’ time?

Still - all of that can wait. He’s far more interested in what he has in his arms than the decrees of deities. As their legs intertwine he hurts a laugh against her temple, fingertips drawing lazy circles against her hip. “Well, I didn’t have any other intentions honestly, but now that you’ve put the thought in my head...” he trails off with a cheeky, mischievous grin that is only swallowed up by the way he leans over her, hand moving to cup her jaw and tilt her into a kiss. Pulling back only far enough to gaze into Phoebe’s eyes, his own a darkened sapphire. This isn’t their first time, but it feels close enough to it after the time they’d had to spend apart, thinking the other was missing or worse. “This okay?” A heated murmur as his hand trails from Phoebe’s cheek down her neck, featherlight, until it reaches the edge of her dress and hooks there, tugging slightly in indication. If cuddling is all she wants, Harper has no qualms with it. Simply being with her is all he desires. She has certainly had a long day anyway, her denial wouldn’t bother him.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe simply smiled and kissed his cheek as his mood dipped briefly. He had many of his own demons to work through, none of which she could simply lift away, but when and if he ever wished to pursue them, she would be there to help as she could. And so she let the moment pass as he seemed to wish for it.

"Safrin?" she said in surprise, but then smiled. "I hope she gives you the guidance you seek." she said, proud that he was making the step to reach out to the gods. She knew herself how comforting and helpful they could be, and Phoebe had no doubt that Harper would be able to endear himself to Safrin. He was a sweetheart after all.

But she was soon preoccupied with staring up at him, finding Harper suddenly looming over her. Phoebe smiled, her heartbeat picking up slightly. She lifted her arms up around his waist, hands pressing against his shoulders as she kissed him back. As he pulled away though, she followed, lifting her head slightly to keep close. "Of course it is." she said with a smirk, her own hands trailing down over his before just barely dipping under the edge of his trousers. He was terribly modest, even by her standards (which had, in all honesty, been slowly whittled down by her interactions with Frey), but his gentlemanly nature was appreciated. He certainly wasn't as hesitant as Emmett had been, nor as forward as Sunjata, but somewhere in between. And though she wasn't sure if it was how long she had been parted from him or the influence of being Frey's demigod, her own desire was for a much more intimate reunion than cuddling could accomplish.