{SE} the edge of disaster
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

All he'd done is follow the rivers, up from the sea. Up and up and up, through the jungles in a trek with no real point, except to simply move. To find a place quiet and alone where he could think. Rivers and streams grew impossible to track after a certain point, terminating in waterfalls, in misty pools, in underground channels, but still Nate wandered, following a vaguely upwards path.

All at once, the jungle opens up into cliffside, a sea of green opening up before him. It takes his breath away, or it would if there was anything there to snatch. Clouds fill the sky, blotting out the sun in a stroke of luck, one that keeps him safe while he explores this strangely bare place.

Nate doesn't think he's stood there long, though he hadn't thought he'd been walking for long either. He wonders quietly if anyone noticed he's missing yet, if he should start heading back. He takes a step closer to the edge of the cliff instead, trying to get a glimpse of the ground below, and finding nothing there.
Is there an acceptable result?
Do we mean something when we talk?
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

Sometimes you just go for a hike because you need to. And Locke needed to. There was simply too much on his mind and he wanted to get away from it. Drinking was usually his go-to for these kinds of things but this was more pent up energy than anything else. Normally he'd crawl in the ring for this kind of shit but he wasn't feeling that either. So hike it was. Last time he'd been out here, he'd caught a bird. That was pretty cool, right? He's not sure what he'll find this time.

His hike is taking him longer than anticipated, honestly. He keeps getting distracted. Be it a pretty flower or a beautiful view, everything catches his attention. He hasn't been out here in years. He'd be more upset about it if he had anywhere else to go. But he's a free man for a few more days at least so he's going to take advantage of it. He finally reaches the top of the waterfall, hovering near the edge of the water. He kind of wants to dunk himself in it but even he isn't that stupid. Instead he kicks his boots off, sinking his feet into the almost ice cold water.

He's pretty relaxed actually, just soaking in the birdsong and the clouds. Would be nicer if there was some sun but he'll be fine without. His eyes flutter closed and he's tempted to just stay up here for the night when he hears a crunch. He jumps slightly, turning to look over his shoulder. There's someone else here. Had he been here all along? The hairs raise on the back of his neck as he watches the man near the edge.

"'Least warn a guy if you're gonna jump."
I'm not gonna lie
I want you for mine
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

Nate had hoped he was alone. He’d been looking forward to it actually, basking in intentional solitude, instead of the isolation that’s been forced onto him at home. Even in the middle of the jungle, he can’t get what he wants, can he?

A sharp stare is thrown towards the other man, a halfhearted snarl twisting his lips. ”Do I look like some kind of fucking teenager?” Sneering words don’t stop his one good eye from wandering out over the horizon again, from dipping down into the misty void below. He’s not going to jump, but it’s tempting. Just so long as he thinks about it like flying, and not falling, just as long as he doesn’t think about the ground.

Stepping back from the edge, Nate steps towards the stranger, one eyed gaze narrowing as he tries (and fails) to pick out some measure of familiarity. ”I didn’t think I’d run into anyone this deep in the jungle.” There is no small measure of suspicion in his voice, his head cocking in a silent question as he steps closer.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

Locke looks up, watching Nate with a almost shit eating grin on his face. "Feisty." He'd comment further but he finally gets a good look at the other man's face. His expression falters for a second as he recognizes him. He doesn't know him but he does remember the fight and he gets an almost itchy feeling in his skin. He can't imagine.. But he just shrugs instead, "Jus' sayin'." But then Nate takes a step away from the edge and towards him. Interesting.

Locke turns more, so he can properly face him. "Yeah. Kinda weird to run into someone this far out. You wanna sit? The water feels good." He doesn't give a shit about what a stranger does with themselves and their life but.. He doesn't mind some company. Everything has been tense lately and he just wants to relax. Plus, Nate seems.. interesting. He's not sure.

"What are you doin' out here? Admiring the views?"
I'm not gonna lie
I want you for mine
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

"I was kind of hoping to avoid people, actually." As dry as it comes out of him, Nate makes no effort to change the situation. In fact, he comes closer, standing at the edge of the water and looking down into the pool. "I'll have to take your word for that one." He says of the water, stepping along the edge of it.

"I could ask you the same question, couldn't I?" Nate snorts and looks out towards the horizon, now that it's been pointed out again. "I'm just... getting away for a while. Like a...vacation." He cringes as he says it, working his jaw and sighing heavily. His posture says that this couldn't be further from a vacation, and that he absolutely does not want to talk about that particular weight.

"So," All at once the heavy weight of his one-eyed gaze focuses on the other man, "what are you doing out here?"
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

”Sorry ‘bout that.” Locke doesn’t exactly plan on leaving either. Water feels too good and he’s not exactly keen on giving up his pleasure for someone else’s. But Nate comes to stand near the water so he takes that as a good thing. Maybe. If he wasn’t so relaxed, he might take it more as a threat. Like a territorial dog or something. The last statement makes him look back up. He doesn’t respond beyond raising an eyebrow.

”Vacation huh? Not a bad place for that I think.” Even if it looks like he’s very much not on vacation. Poor dude. Running out into the jungle to get away from something it seems. Locke kind of wants to press but he doubts he’s going to get much more out of him.

He shrugs in response to the question, ”Could say the same thing. I’m goin’ to Stormbreak soon. Not sure how much freedom I’m really gonna have after. Why not spend some of what I’ve got left hanging out at a waterfall with a guy who looks like he wishes he was anywhere else? A sly little grin spreads across his face as he bites down the faint way the hair on the back of his neck stands at Nate’s look.
I'm not gonna lie
I want you for mine
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Yea, the guy seems real sorry. Nate scoffs, rolling his eye and reaching up to shove his hair back out of his face. He turns, looking back out at the horizon, searching for something past the horizon. ”Its hard to think of somewhere better.” He says of vacationing, the words wistful.

Whatever creeping comfort might have begun reaching out during their brief words withdraws completely, Nate growing cold, hard. Brows furrowed as his narrowed gaze snaps back to Locke. He has to work his jaw before he speaks, the words sounding far to casual to really be casual. ”Stormbreak, huh? Why would you go to a place like that?” Nate has ideas, of course, suspicious, hateful ideas, but there’s no need to jump to conclusions before the other has a chance to explain himself.

Maybe he’s just a tourist. That sky dock had to be finished any day now, didn’t it?
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

”Yeah. Really is beautiful out here.” Locke sighs, watching Nate as he turns away. The other man is clearly going through something. He kind of wants to prod but information in Torchline is just as much a currency as anything else. And if you’re smart, you can make anything information.

“Mm, honestly? Tired of Torchline. Saw a chance to leave so I took it.” He threads a hand through his hair, finding a little twig and flicking it into the water. Locke raises an eyebrow as he looks the other man over. ”Don’t seem too pleased about it. Got an ex there or something?” Oh Locke, you oblivious little fuck. It’s not even that he wants to go play soldier or that he gives two shits about the old gods or the new gods. He really just wanted an out and there it was.

”Not looking forward to all the routine though. Gonna be different.”
I'm not gonna lie
I want you for mine
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

They're having this conversation, and yet it feels like they're not really talking about the same thing at all. Nate wonders if maybe that's just him, just how fractured he is at the moment, and realizes that it doesn't really matter anyway.

A disbelieving huff leaves Nate, his eye rolling, though the gesture does nothing to make him seem more at ease. "How can you get tired of the beach and sun? Fuck, before I came here I thought I'd never see a place like her in real life." It feels like some kind of cover, shuts him down even more, distrust radiating off him. "An ex? Fuck, I couldn't even get into the place." For reasons that should be obvious, as far as he's concerned. Or maybe the general attitudes of Stormbreak aren't common knowledge, perhaps he only knows because of how intimately it could affect him.

"Routine?" This has some facade snapping into place, the hostility in the ascended's face replaced with a benign interest, a raised brow. "You found some kinda work there already, huh?"
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

He shakes his head as he looks at Nate, "Been here my whole life. Never gotten much further than these jungles. Plus, it's not much of a paradise really. M'sure you know that." Locke leans forward, having given up on trying to watch Nate. He's never keen to turn his back on someone he doesn't know but maybe he just doesn't care right now. "And I keep fuckin' stuff up so.. Maybe a new start will help." It won't. "Glad you like it though. I know this really nice place down on the beach, secluded. Maybe if you ever get bored, you can go look for it." Not like he'll be using it anymore. Only one or two other people know about it anyway.

"Oh right, they've got some hang up about you guys. I don't get it honestly. Like.. Fuck. Old gods? New gods? Accepted? Abandoned? Whatever. Everyone is just meat in the grinder I think." He ignores the hostility in Nate's voice because he's really not in the mood for it. And he doesn't care. He's not going to ever fucking care. The gods can come down and fucking strangle him themselves. Maybe then he will.

"Could say that. Joined the dragoons." He's aware he probably shouldn't say it but its out of his mouth anyway. "Don't get up your ass about it. I just want a dragon and out of Torchline. Could careless about the rest of it." Are there other ways to get dragons? Probably. He doesn't know it though.
I'm not gonna lie
I want you for mine
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

"Anywhere looks like paradise compared to where I came from." No matter what it hid on the underside. At least it wasn't bleeding out everywhere, wasn't crumbling streets and people, wasn't blatant corruption and shit as far as the eye could see. "Now I'm not trying to be a dick or anything," lies, "but what's gonna stop you from fucking shit up in Stormbreak?" Every fresh start he'd ever tried to make for himself had ended with him falling right back into the same old patterns, the same old shit.

Ah, that's it then. Nate finds himself nodding, some of the hostility and anger fading into an exhausted resignation. It's not outright intolerance, it's ignorant intolerance. He wonders if it's worth trying to make his case anyway, his unblinking gaze locked on Locke for a moment before he sighs, and fishes a smoke out of his jacket pocket, a match following it.

"Y'know," a hand comes up, Nate rubbing at his mouth like he can stop the accent from leaking into his words, "I have heard a lot of stupid shit in the last little while. Really, you wouldn't believe some of it." Shaking his head, he lets out a short huff of laughter before continuing. "That though? What you just said?" He points at Locke, just to make his point clearer. "It takes the fuckin' cake buddy." Really, he can't even find it in him to beangry, though he should be. "Joining a fucking army for a dragon. Fucking genius."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

”Wouldn’t know. Never really been out of Torchline. But I’m glad you think so highly of it. Guess one man’s trash can be another man’s paradise.” He kind of laughs, leaning back to look at Nate again. He keeps feeling that pinprick sensation of the other man staring at him and he can’t tell how it makes him feel. ”Mm, guess you’re right. But I’m tryin’ so that’s gotta count for somethin’ right?” No, no it doesn’t.

Locke mimics the cigarette, finding his own and his matches. He gives Nate a long look as he takes a drag before looking away. ”I really don’t get it. Honestly.” He takes another drag, holding it for a moment as he shakes his head. Nate doesn’t seem like he’s going to give him answers so he’s not going to press with questions. It’s fine. He exhales, watching the smoke curl away from him.

Nate’s movement catches his attention again, grin cracking across his face. ”Hey now! I said I wanted to get out too. The dragon is a bonus, the cherry on top, the..” He pauses, trying to think, ”The smoke after a good fuck, ya know?” He eyes Nate for a moment, taking another drag as a smirk crawls across his face, ”Not all of us have a dragon at home, ya know.. He’s a big boy, isn’t he?” He's heard rumors at least, of Sunjata's dragon shift. He's never seen it himself but he can't help but wonder.
I'm not gonna lie
I want you for mine
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

"Can't say for sure until something gives." The words are accompanied by a shrug, Nate not particularly invested in if a stranger does well. Old habits are hard to break, and he's read the other man right at all, it doesn't seem like he's really going to put that much effort in.

Meeting the other mans stare and cocking his head, Nate sighs heavily through his nose. "It's easy. We want to be treated like anyone else, and they want to kill us all." A gross oversimplification, if not an outright lie, but Nate can't really help himself. He's exhausted of having to defend his very existence. It isn't fair.

"Nothing's stopping you from just leaving any other way. Portals are open all over now. Just hop into one and go somewhere new." No dragon that way, but if it's only the smoke and not the fucking then that shouldn't really be an issue, right? "And you don't get sucked into the wrong side of a war that way." Nate pulls on his smoke until it's all ash, impossibly sticking together for one perfect moment before he shifts, exhales through his nose and blows smoke and ash both into the wind.

Some jealous note twangs in Nate, his face twitching as he takes a step closer to Locke. "He's a lot more than just a fucking dragon." Anger is the first clear emotion to radiate from Nate, a pair of glowing blue arms materializing from nothing as he goes deathly still. Does he even know why he's angry? Absolutely not, but that isn't going to stop him from taking it out on a convenient face.

Luckily (for Locke) the glowing shape of a starwhal comes trilling out of the mist and jungle, Nate's electric gaze snapping towards his companion as a wave of calming starlight settles over him. The extra arms vanish, one of the ascended natural ones rising to stroke along Pemota's side. He takes a deep breath, steadying himself, then looks over at Locke. His mouth opens like he's going to say something that he immediately thinks better of, and he looks off into the jungle again. "I should get going."

Fin~