[Open] some people just deserve to...
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Gideon

I'm the lesser of two evils
Or am I, am I tricking myself nice?
Gideon had been walking on sunshine since the shrine had been destroyed. Everything was going amazingly; the Order was making strides, Demi-Gods joining and the Skyports in production. The Voice had not as of yet punished his team for attacking the vile thing, if she'd even worked out it was them; if things continued so well, Gideon reckoned they could be done with the whole Ascended mess before the end of his own lifetime.

Gods, maybe he'd be remembered for it. The instigator of the end, the saviour; not that he wanted to inflate his ego too much with those kinds of fantasies...but they did give his lips something to curl up about at the corners. 'Gideon the Holy Light' had a good ring to it. There were Demi Gods he thought less qualified than himself...

But that kind of thinking was blasphemous, so he made himself stop there.

Walking about Torchline to clear his head after helping Ronin, he'd actually managed to walk by the bar without going in for a drink. A victory borne only of the joy from his recent successes, Gideon felt light enough without the help of alcohol. He'd headed up from the coast to the cliffs, to the lighthouse he'd often seen from a distance but not approached; there were so many beautiful spots in this place. So much wonder given to them by the Gods.

Standing near the cliff edge with his hands in his pockets and jacket in the crook of his arm, Gideon let his eyes sweep over the horizon of the sea. "Thank you, for all you've given me lately." He spoke quietly, under his breath - he knew they would hear him. "When I stand here, faced by all your majesty, knowing I have a part in it..." He shook his head in amazement, tilted his chin up towards the sky to look at the clouds. "Thank you."
If I'm a lesser of two evils
Who's this man, who's this act I hide behind?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
You not wanting me...
There was much for Phoebe to ponder and consider since returning to Torchline. Sunjata was the governor, the Halenani was being run by Maeve, Harper had appeared again out of the blue, and Remi and Ronin had gotten themselve mixed up in both the war and a personal blood feud (not that she was sure there was much of a difference between those two things). And then, to cap it all off, Frey had made her a demigod and given her a pristinely vague charge.

A charge that was very hard to complete when she had just the barest hints of ideas of what had happened in recent months.

It was as she wandered that she happened upon a man she didn't recognize - not surprising given her recent absence. The Nightingale could just make out his words, and smiled slightly. "Most people would give their thanks to the gods at a shrine." she said. It wasn't condemnation or criticism, just a friendly observation in hopes of striking up conversation. If she was lucky maybe she would learn something about recent events.
...Was the beginning of me wanting myself
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Gideon

The sound of a voice behind him made Gideon turn, surprised he hadn't noticed anyone approach; he supposed he must have been too involved in his prayers. Immediately as he laid eyes upon her he was struck by a love from Frey, a deep connection there: this was someone important to the God of sex and nature, not one he was deeply familiar with, but that was deserving of reverent respect all the same.

He let out a light laugh and smirked, shaking his head. "I talk at shrines all day long. Sometimes I like to speak to the Gods where I can see the beauty of the world they maintain." Gideon gestured out towards the sea, the blinking lights of the sun on the waves. "We are always watched and cared for, no matter where we are, after all...but I get the sense you know that." His eyes flicked back to her, evaluating her further. The overwhelming nature of the divine feelings around her reminded him of when he met Amalia and felt Safrin's joy.

"You are close with Frey?" Gideon asked, not bothering to explain how he knew; sometimes he liked to see the surprise.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
You not wanting me...
Talk in shrines all day long? Phoebe tilted her head. "Are you a lecturer?" she asked. The concept of a priest or pastor or other religious person working within a shrine was not one she was familiar with. In her previous world, religion wasn't really a thing. And in all the places she had been thus far, she had yet to encounter anyone who made a living of speaking with the gods. Frankly it didn't seem all that lucrative. How had he gotten this far without irritating them with constant chatter? Perhaps a question best asked of Frey.

As he gestured she stepped forward, glancing out towards the sea. It was still a wonder to her, having grown up landlocked - such a massive expanse of water was awe inspiring. But his question caught her off guard, and she looked up at him in surprise. "What makes you say that?" she asked, brows furrowing slightly. Anxiousness began to coil her stomach as she considered him. The only other mortal person to immediately assume or know of her connection with Frey had been Cian. Everyone else she had told or had heard from other logical means. And Cian and his followers were the last people she wanted knowing about this change in her relationship with Rae's Herald.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon

Gideon chuckled at her question, shaking his head; though sometimes he did feel a bit like a lecturer, when he had to repeat the same lessons and ideas to his congregation over and over through the years until they sunk in. "No. I'm a priest. I serve in the Temple in Stormbreak." He watched her carefully to see how she'd react to that, knowing that Stormbreak's brand of organised Old God religion was uncommon outside of the city. A shame.

"The Gods have gifted me a sense. I can tell for each person just how their relationship with the Gods is. Helps me to know how to help them." He explained easily, leaving out what exactly it was that gave him this power. Gideon looked Phoebe up and down again, with her now knowing his ability, and added: "So. When I look at you, I can tell Frey is impressed with you. Which leads me to think you might be someone special." He raised his eyebrows, turning the statement into a question.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
A...priest? Phoebe wasn't sure she had ever heard that word before. Her brow furrowed in confusion briefly. "I don't know what a priest is." she admitted. But the second half of his sentence made her pale - a true feat given her already porcelain complexion. Stormbreak. That was where Cian was from. It was where his people congregated. They might be on the same-ish side as her, especially now that she was a demigod of one of the Old Gods, but the realization made her throat tighten with apprehension. Had they already known of her change and sent him??

Well, if they hadn't, they sure would know now.

As the man explained his ability, the Nightingale's expression hardened. It was an attempt at a mask, a veneer of strength that she really never possessed, her heart worn boldly on her sleeve. "You mean it helps you identify and recruit the devout for Cian." she said smoothly. There was no point dancing around the issue. Frey would have been direct, and so would she, as their mortal emissary. Helping people was a very subjective term she had learned, and when political powers used it, it rarely meant what it meant. Governments didn't help people. They helped themselves.

At least, that is what a common born girl like herself had experienced.

"I am simply me. What Frey thinks of me is not a defining factor of my specialness or lack thereof. As they once told me, they are but a god." she said, quoting her friend when she had confessed to wishing to make them proud.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon

"Ah. I'd heard you had less...co-ordinated faith here. As a priest at the Temple, my job is to guide people in celebrating and worshipping the Gods. I answer their questions, hold services, make sure offerings are done regularly." For certain holidays too, though Gideon wasn't sure that all of those had made it past Stormbreak's walls either; it was sad, the watered-down version of the Gods the rest of the world got.

He noted the sudden displeasure in her face and raised an eyebrow; he'd expected his ability to impress, not upset. The mention of Cian made it clear right away what the problem was though, and Gideon couldn't help but laugh, rubbing his forehead at the obnoxious righteousness emanating off the woman before him. "You've heard of the Order, then. As it happens, I actually work for the Gods first and Cian second. I can't say I've ever recruited for him. Are you looking for work?"

As for Frey being 'just a God', that was an oxymoron; what were Gods but everything humans could not be? A higher being worthy of any praise that can be laid at it's feet? "I have heard Frey likes jokes." Gideon finally offered in response, clearly not convinced.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Phoebe nodded slowly at his description of his work. She still didn't quite see the difference between a priest and a lecturer or professor...but if that differentiation was important to him it didn't affect her any.

Besides, she was far more concerned with his other affiliations at the moment.

She remained quiet for a moment, considering him and his self description. Gods first and Cian second - a convenient but possible truthful assertion. "Cian already knew of my closeness with Frey when he appeared at my doorstep out of nowhere." she said. How else would he have known, if he didn't have people like him milling about, identifying those with some sort of connection to the gods? But the ire she presented just moments before dissipated just as quickly as it had arisen. It was a shield, a bit of armor raised and then lowered when a perceived threat appeared not so dangerous as she initially thought. "No, I am not. Though that does not seem your leader's main concern." she said, glancing out over the ocean briefly. "How do you manage it? Serving the gods first and a powerful man second? Isn't the latter far more dangerous to displease?"

But at the mention of Frey, she smirked. "Frey is not one you are particularly close with, I take it?"
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon

Gideon tilted his head as she mentioned Cian knowing her Godly associations right away, as if this news was a surprise to him (in some ways it was, but he very quickly filled in the gaps in his head. Cian had endless contacts and eyes in every corner of Caido). "Did he? Interesting. I can assure you that's nothing to do with me, though. I didn't know you existed until five minutes ago." He winked with a smirk, noting that Phoebe seemed to be calming down again from her initial worry.

Which was good, because the Order needed more like her; those connected so intimately with the Gods would be necessary for their eventual plans.

He laughed at her question, finding the idea of Cian being more intimidating than the Gods quite ridiculous. "Because I am also a powerful man, and one that has been directly serving the Gods my entire life. Cian would also be smart not to displease me." Gideon believed in the Order, followed it, but he did not consider himself below their leader or subservient to him.

"Admittedly not. I observe all the festivals and prayers, but...I have never been fortunate enough to see Frey in person. I envy you that." He confessed. "How is it to know them so well?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
The Nightingale considered him quietly, mulling over his words and actions thus far. He seemed genuine enough, or at least he didn't seem to be lying purposely. Perhaps this was all just a coincidence after all...or she was being naive and Frey would scold her for it eventually. Either way, she wasn't going to find out which was right until much later, so there was no real use in worrying about it now.

His perception of himself in relation to Cian was equally curious though. "Stormbreak must be a unique place if a lifetime of devotion is enough to protect you from political force." she said softly. It was certainly not her experience. Religion and devotion was espoused until it became inconvenient, just like everything else that stood in the way of political power.

But she could be surprised. Wouldn't be the first time the ways of Caido did that after all.

His question though brought a smile to her lips. "They would likely say I made a useful nuisance of myself." she said with a light laugh. "There were no gods in the world I came from. And so a few of us accidentally called upon the gods and Frey answered. It was...a terrifying experience. But in the end, Frey protected me from their own influence. And it allowed me to see clearly their nurturing side that most miss for their sensual aspect. Which I think is usually how they preferred it then." Now that those aspects were separated, it was likely less of a preference and more of an expectation if one received the tidings of sex-Frey and not nature-Frey. "They have guideded and protected me. And I have appreciated them for their wholeself as my dearest of friends."
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon

Gideon found Phoebe's comment just as curious as she found him. Surely, love from the Gods would protect you anywhere, from anything; he was confident that no matter what problems faced him, Gideon would be able to depend on the Gods he had prayed to his entire life to come to his aid. If they didn't...well, that just meant it was meant to be. "You should have more faith. Your relationship with the Gods will always protect when it is meant to." He replied, not quite scolding but definitely baffled how a Demi God didn't know this.

It was at least nice to see the mention of her patron God bring a smile to her face; he'd spoken to a few Demi Gods now that seemed to regard their position as a kind of obligation - that, to Gideon, seemed like the epitome of disrespect. Looking behind himself to sit down on a higher rock, he crossed his arms and listened to her speak.

"Yes, I know of Frey's recent split...I had the altar in the Temple changed." He nodded to himself. "Has Frey given you any of their abilities?" Asking without any kind of embarrassment about the potentially personal question, Gideon leaned forward, interested to hear the answer.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Phoebe smiled at him a bit. Clearly the nature of Frey - and thus perhaps Rae - were indeed out of his wheelhouse. "Perhaps with the others, but Frey is not one to interfere with much. Such is nature." What happened would happen. Sure, a little prodding here and there, but only when called upon had Frey ever intervened to keep her from death. Only once otherwise had they come to her without being called at a shrine. Frey was not one to coddle or spoil. Instead like a mother bird, they shoved their devout from the nest, expecting them to fly. Though maybe things would be different now. She hadn't yet required their aid to know.

At his question though, she smirked at him. "If they had, I am certain you would be well aware by now." she said with a light laugh. Frey's presence was nothing if not blatantly obvious in the way it made the human body react after all. "I don't know honestly. I've yet to figure out what they changed in me." Phoebe added, answering the real question. Moreover, she didn't know how one went about discovering such abilities. It seemed something to happen spontaneously when one didn't expect it to happen.
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon

Gideon tilted his head from side to side, knowing what she said to be true; of the Heralds, Frey was probably the one least interested in human affairs, content for the most part to let life continue as it should. "I would think though, as someone so beloved by Frey, you would enjoy the privilege of at least knowing they'll step in at the worst of times. After all, you're no use to them dead."

Demi Gods were, after all, God's servants. An honour to be sure, one that came with powers and titles, but servitude none the less. Enactors of the God's wills and often communication points for those less privileged.

He snorted at her comment on the powers. He was glad that wasn't the case; she was petite and so much younger and reminded him more of a daughter, or student, than anything else. For once, Gideon was very glad not to experience something of the Gods. "They didn't tell you? Interesting. You must be meant to discover it as you go...what do you do? For a living?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
You not wanting me...
Phoebe shrugged a bit at his assessment. "Such was not the case for the children of Rae. Why would Frey be different?" she asked, recalling the twins had perished in some manner or other. It was sad, but it was the way of the world. "I believe Frey would be more inclined to intervene if my emotions threatened to derail me, as they have done for me before, rather than prevent me from physical harm." Unless she asked of course, but she didn't have the ability to call down the gods anymore now did she? This change meant she would have to be more self reliant, which was terrifying.

The Nightingale shook her head at his question. Of course Frey hadn't. Once again the image of a mother bird shoving their chicks from the nest to force them to fly came to mind. Phoebe for the moment was still in free fall. She just hoped it wouldn't take something as terrifying as a fall from a great height for her to figure out her abilities.

"I am a midwife by training." she said, glancing back at Gideon. "And before Frey took me away to change me, I was the Madame of the Halenani. They had asked that I build a place for the prostitutes here to have a safe haven in which to work. But I have since given over ownership to someone else more qualified." she said. She had done as Frey asked. She built it. She established the standards. She ensured their favored people were safe and cared for. There hadn't been much else she could have done that Maeve couldn't do just as well or better.