{se} coming in for the kill
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Hotaru
I want a snowfall kind of love
the kind of love that quiets the world
"Don't forget those traits in the tales you'll tell of me," she teases through the curl of her grin. While she'd be more than happy to let the stories of his scars tell themselves beneath her fingertips, they are too similarly wounded in another way. A far more cosmic way. Hotaru's smiling cheek twitches with the instinctive desire to snarl, betraying her agreement when he puts words to his hatred.

Hearing his declaration of love ironically hurts worse.

"Then her depravity is all the worse to have done it twice," she snarls, dark and loathing. Spinner's fingers clench and her chin juts, spinning to angrily tie to her bow to Atlas' bags lest she break it instead. To take a moment away from Remi's ethereal seaglass eyes and the familiar hatred she sees reflected in them. "No. It's not easier. But I envy you the power of your love, because when I found out?" Tying the last knot with a yanking vengeance, she spins in the snow to face him, eyes alight with fire. "I stabbed him. And I should've done far worse, because unlike Ronin? He knew exactly what he was getting into with her." And the worst part is she still fucking loves him, and it makes her sick to have two opposing forces fighting inside her.
The kind of love that keeps you in bed all day
won't you bury me in your quiet love?
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
the alchemist
there's a feeling i get when i look to the west,
& my spirit is crying for leaving.
'I doubt it has only been twice.' The alchemist murmurs softly, but all the more darkly for the care with which he says the words. 'Even when Ronin was made her demigod...it was not his choice.' The Star was brought back from the dead, yes, and for that anyone should be grateful. But consent was something not always freely given, even when someone said yes, and thank you.

The smile on Remi's face is not one of amusement nor one that minimizes Hotaru's pain. Instead, it's a dark understanding of what she'd done to Sunjata. "I'm sure it hardly helped." He muses with a shake of his head; actual violent revenge rarely lived up to the daydreams of it. "I love Ronin more than I love myself. I think...only unhealthy love, truly lasts. It's the only kind that can withstand the terrible things we do to one another." Because if Remi or Ronin had any sort of sense, they'd likely have left each other a thousand times over. But they didn't, because their love prevailed, even when it wasn't a good idea.

"And now Nate is a demigod, and it was all for nothing anyway." Because whatever Safrin had promised, surely now there was no hope in her fulfilling her side. "And Safrin got everything she wanted."
in my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
& the voices of those who stand looking.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru
A shiver dances across her skin at the notion. One she has not cared to dwell on, ultimately too selfish to care about the other nameless faces who might have been snared by Safrin’s gleaming hook. “Manipulation is her greatest weapon. What does consent matter when he is beneath her power the moment it’s broken? By then she has already won, and forgiveness can be persuaded.” Though is she not intimately familiar with such actions? Hotaru knows exactly the game Safrin is playing, and is all the more the fool for having not seen it coming. “Who’s to say she doesn’t ensure it’s a grievance conveniently forgotten in her presence?” It wouldn’t be the first god she’d known to influence or even entirely wipe memories for their own gain. Not even the first to combine that power with the appearance of a child. Gods, poor Ophelia.

“It helped for the amount of time any feeling of revenge does. Not long enough.” After all he was not the ultimate target of her anger, and Hotaru could never exact her revenge against Safrin even if Hotaru were not so full of fealty for the goddess’ pantheon.

“So long as the love outweighs those terrible things, what does health matter? The worthwhileness lies in the nature of it being outweighed. Health is just a measurement assigned by those who don’t understand that level of devotion.” Her gaze goes steely, chin lifting. “There’s so little good in the world. Why not hold it with both hands when you find it? Consequences be damned.” Which makes Hotaru’s own decision to leave seem hypocritical perhaps had she not already felt as if the intensity of Nate and Sunjata’s love had not matched her own. Maybe she is just searching for her own Ronin - someone who is just as willing to love her down into the fires of hell as she is. Someone to burn alongside.

“What her ultimate goal is is anyone’s guess. Being worshipped alone seems too shortsighted for her. And Nate? Well, The Voice’s plans don’t seem much better.” Derision paints the exhale through her nose. At times she’s grateful to be Abandoned; at least the Gods have no interest in her on either side.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
'Men forgive far more easily than they should, for those they love." Remi agrees, and it's clear by the roses of guilt that bloom on his cheeks, that he does not count himself out of this group. 'Ronin said he did not even think of me, when he was with her." Tension drifts across his face for a moment, before he smoothes it away with a sigh. 'We have always had an open marriage, but even so...I do not think it is just my ego talking, to think that some magic was at work."

Remi does not think Hotaru hypocritical as she says what she does. Instead, he finds that her cold logic shivers something inside of himself. How hard it must be to literally watch your love run out. To agree that holding onto something good is worthwhile, and yet pulling your hands back just the same? "I hate she did that, to you." He won't offer his apologies or sympathies; Remi has experienced pain and loss enough to know how little they mean. But anger? Coal and tinder tossed onto a blaze? It had been what he wanted.

"No, they do not. And now Sunjata stand on either side of battle lines carved out by the gods." Remi exhales a frosty huff of air. "Will you just try and stay out of it, then?" He wonders, heaving the Ursur higher up on his shoulder as they trek back toward the Citadel. "This war we all seem to be pawns in?"
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
“If your love is as you describe, to have forgotten you is no small feat.” Her own mouth goes tense, full lips bleeding white as she clamps her mouth tightly down. “That’s not ego, it’s rightful suspicion. Even if Ronin were inclined to try and part from her or rebel against her, he would bend to her whim; quite the herald of life.” And quite the reason for Hotaru to aim her suspicion higher up the ladder, to the far more elusive gods above. Her embittered voice is as sharp as the snapping pace she keeps at his side, a hilariously contrasting pair as Remi hauls the ursur’s body next to her own diminutive form.

Relief crests like a wave over her fake features at his condolences, for what they are. The only words that would not poke and prod at her tender pride. “The feeling is mutual,” she assures in undertone, at risk of being swallowed by the wind. It better hides the aching rawness of her sincerity. “To involve children...it’s a heinous act, what she’s done to all of us. To them perhaps most of all.” Their lives mere tipping pieces on a scale, pawns to play against their parents. Her blood burns on their behalf more than her own, even with all her heartbreak. Hotaru has no way of knowing the fate of Remi’s child, so much like her own, but a fierce protectiveness settles in her all the same that has her gliding closer as they walk. As if he has not already proven he can take care of himself.

“I’m not the type to keep my head down, I don’t expect I’ll be capable of it even if I wanted - or the gods allowed it.” Recruitment seems to be in full swing after all. “If I’m to risk my life anyway, why not pick the slowest poison and take what I can as repayment while I live?” Power, importance, glory. Ephemeral things, but appealing when framed against her own mortality.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Silence, and the crunch of snow beneath their feet, seem more of an appropriate agreement than any words the alchemist might offer. Remi's hate for Safrin is heavier in the pit of his stomach than the ursur he carries, but never, not even to Ronin, can he voice the reason why. Mateo's life has bought his silence on this, and though it eats away at him from the inside out, silent he remains.

"And which side offers the slowest poison?" Remi wonders a touch crookedly. He can imagine it easily, Hotaru becoming an ascended. Standing against Safrin and bursting with electricity. Then again, he can imagine her doing it just as easily as she is now. One didn't have to pick the side of the Voice to hate the starry bitch. Just look at Remi.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
“You have far more experience than myself with the Gods here; I’m sure any of my answers will seem flawed. But of the soldiers lined upon the board, Frey’s are the ones in the shadows.” Far from warriors and assassins. Nature presiding over human error and foolishness and thus assuring the relative safety of those champions.

The wind bites at her fair cheeks, turning them a blistering rose as she looks away from Remi’s ruggedly handsome face to the dark horizon where the city awaits. “The Voice’s aims are too familiar a blight to me. I’d rather mutter curses at Safrin from the sidelines than give my life to The Voice; even with your power, you could not hope to touch a herald. Which renders our hatred moot.” Her grin is crooked, one canine sharp as it crests over her lip. It doesn’t erase the desire for violence from her veins. “Frankly I’m not the type of woman to fight one-sided battles. I’d happily take a pamphlet from the Safrin-hating club president though.” Hotaru’s hand extends as if awaiting it immediately, before exaggeratedly sliding her hererochromatic gaze to the Ursur lying like a furry sack of potatoes on his shoulder. Her hand returns to the strap of her satchel with a wry attempt at a teasing grin. “Perhaps later, considering. Gives me time to make us club badges.”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Remi's head tilts back and forth, neither agreeing nor disagreeing. He might have more experience, but the alchemist was the first to admit he was not the most clever man, especially not when strategy was involved.

His jaw feathers beneath cheeks as equally wind-ravaged as Hotaru's. Biting the inside of his cheek as if to convince himself to stop clenching his teeth together, the alchemist gives his head an unconvincing shake. "..maybe." He replies in a low but even tone. Maybe he could not touch a herald. But then again, maybe he could.

Snorting under his breath, Remi can only playfully roll his eyes. "Sunjata was an idiot. Nate too." There was something wild and charming about Hotaru he couldn't quite name. Even just having been around her for a few moments, the alchemist was considering stalling in the freezing winds if only to speak with her more.

"First, fur bikinis, then badges for them to go on." He agrees with an equally crooked smile as they make their way back to the Citadel.

~FIN