Tummy Rumblies
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
I know I am good at something, I just haven't found it yet
Phoebe nodded in understanding. She supposed tending crops would take a lot of time. "It must get lonely being out there on your own most of the time." she said. Though she supposed the barrier would put some off. "I forage a lot for the ingredients for my medicines. I guess I hadn't considered that people would avoid doing so just because of the barrier."

Fancy? She tilted her head to the side. "I didn't live anywhere fancy...the Kingdom was huge. So there were some big cities but I was just a commoner. I lived in a little quarry town. My father was a mason and my mother used her horse shift to pull carts out of the quarries." she said with a small smile. "So stew was on the menu a lot."

He mentioned his sister and grew somber, and so did she. It was hard hearing such a thing, knowing it was probably preventable if they had only had a trained midwife around. "I am very sorry." she said empathetically. It made sense why he was glad to hear a midwife was in town then. If he had other sisters then that would ease some concern about the futures. "I am glad. Hopefully I will be able to prove my skill soon. she said with a smile.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"Well, I got my family and the animals." Emmett shrugged. He didn't think his life was lonely because he knew no different. The only thing he was really lacking up there was anyone to make a home with as his Ma put it, but if he could talk to nice girls at the market, maybe he had that too now.

Sounded like she didn't live in a palace like he'd quite thought, but she still seemed infinitely elegant compared to him. Still...a mason and a horserider? It was common and made him smile, feeling just a little more equal.

"Thank you, but it was years ago now..." Emmett mumbled, shrugging off his upset like an ill-fitting coat. "I shouldn' complain to an Outlander anyway, y'all lost everybody. I can' imagine what that's like.." Things had taken a very serious tone, one he hadn't been aiming for, so he cleared his throat and smiled.

"Anyway. I'm sorry, we shouldn' be sad on a nice day. Do you like kids? Since you're a midwife n' all. I grew up with a lot of brothers and sisters, so I think they're real fun, but there aren' a lot around here."

EMMETT
You think that you're growing,
but you're just tall
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
”Well yes but surely you get sick of just them sometimes?” she asked, tilting her head slightly to the side. She had loved her family but even they got irritating every now and again! She supposed there weren’t very many people around that were around their age though, so maybe there just wasn’t the opportunity to make a lot of friends? Now that she thought about it, growing up here was probably a pretty boring experience…or would it be if this was all one knew? Too many questions with answers she didn’t think she would ever know.

He mentioned how she had lost everyone and she sighed a little. ”You get used to being alone I suppose.” she said quietly. Phoebe didn’t like it, but it was true. She had grown accustomed to doing most everything on her own. Eating alone. Cleaning alone. Sleeping alone. Sigh. This was getting awful depressing wasn’t it?

Emmett seemed to agree and switched topics. Phoebe smiled and nodded. ”Yes I do, very much so. I was the baby in my family but I do love children. It is a shame I think there aren’t many here.” she said with a smile. ”Are you the oldest? How many siblings to you have? I am one of four.” she asked.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"There's too much work to be done to be sick of 'em. If I didn' talk to them, who'd help me with everything?" He shrugged. "Sure, we fight sometimes, but..." He always only had his family to depend on. The town had always been for selling or buying the odd treat and there had not been many kids about anyway, so he'd played with his siblings on the farm growing up. Now that he was older...it was hard to shake the habit of just staying on the fields.

Emmett shook his head at her question. "Nah, my brother's older. He's 22. But he really don' like it down here." He shrugged and looked off at the crowd of people surrounding the market. "They say the Outlanders don'...understand. What it's like for people here, with the barrier n' whatnot. That they're messin' where they shouldn' be. But...lotsa people here have messed with it too. So I don' see the point."

"Have you ever been up near the barrier? It isn't a place for a pretty girl like you, I don' think. ..I mean, it isn't a place for a boy like me or an anyone like anyone either. It'll make your hair stand up and your teeth go numb."

EMMETT
but you're just tall
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe watched him quietly. It was odd to think of your siblings as being your only friends. Of course, she had had many friends as a girl, and though she made none at finishing school she was around many non-family people. To only have her family…that would definitely have been a different way to grow up. Then again…it was definitely preferable to being alone. ”Well it is good that you get along enough to be able to work together even when you fight.” she said with a smile.

”In Northaven we were bound in by a wall, and the whole place was much smaller. This town is probably about all the space we had.” she said, in defense of herself and those from the same place as her. Living inside the confines of a barrier? Yeah, they knew what that life was like. ”But my sister in law is one of those people I suppose. She and one of our other old captains fought the spire demon. They both almost died…which is impressive because both of them are formidable people.” she said quietly, remembering the state they had been in at the infirmary. ”I don’t understand why it is bad to try and find a way out…as far as I know the gods here don’t mind it…or at least the one I met didn’t mention our attempts.” Would Frey disapprove of their attempts to break free? Or would they even care? Probably not.

Phoebe shook her head when he asked if she had been near the barrier. ”I really only have been out to the forest to forage. I’m…not really equipped to protect myself so I do my best to avoid the more dangerous things like the barrier.” she said with a smile.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett nodded, but really there wasn't a choice. Even in times when he hadn't been speaking to his siblings over a quarrel, there had still been crops to harvest and animals to feed. You worked or you starved, and that was a good enough motivator to look over arguments.

"Oh now, don' get me wrong. I don' see nothin' wrong with it either. I'd quite like to see what's out there. If...there's anything out there. I'm just sayin' thats what some folk think." Emmett quickly clarified, not wanting to sour their relationship with other peoples opinions so quickly.

"I don' know a whole lot about the Gods in here...we've always just prayed to Vi for a good harvest. Dunno if he hears." Emmett shrugged. He liked the tradition of the songs and prayers but had never really cared if there was something behind it. Either way, the crops grew some years and failed others.

"I wouldn' go there, Phoebe. ...But you say your sister saw the demon? What was it like?I've only heard kids stories."

EMMETT
but you're just tall
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe sighed and looked down at her hands. ”Yes, I suppose people will always find a reason to dislike those who are different from them.” she said quietly. It was an unfortunate truth but a truth nonetheless. She has witnessed it when she was in finishing school – girls hating her simply because she was poorer than they were. Everything and nothing had changed in coming to Caido. She did turn her face back up towards him though with a small smile. ”I am glad you don’t hold it against the newcomers though.” she said.

”Who is Vi?” she asked, curious. ”The only ones I have heard of are Safrin and Frey…but Frey is the only one I have ever met.” she admitted. Was this Vi as active as the other two? What did he represent or want in this world? Perhaps he had something to do with the harvest, given that a family of farmers prayed to him. It would make some logical sense anyways.

Then again, the existence of deities wasn’t wholly logical she supposed.

”Oh no I wouldn’t! My sister in law is just…well it is rare to hear of her losing a fight.” Phoebe said. Heck no she wasn’t getting anywhere near that spire if she could help it! ” she said. Her brows furrowed as she remembered that night, and the trials she had helped with to make a venom antidote. ”She didn’t describe it in depth but she did say she had cut off its arms and it seemed to burn as well as dried tinder. It’s bite is terribly venomous though. I helped the nurse in town begin to make an antidote for it…but it was so strange because the fang they had from the demon was almost an exact replica of an ascended’s teeth.”
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett knew how being unfairly judged was. There had always been a sort of snobbery from the Naturals whom had the more dignified businesses, but he had generally dismissed it. If his family and others like them had stopped making the food for the settlement, the whole place would shut down.

"Vi is..." He thought for a moment, looking up to the sky. He didn't really know, just had quotes from his parents when he'd asked the same question over the years. Emmett had certainly never seen Vi. "Vi is...life. He's meant to be the most powerful one of all of 'em, I think. But...I dunno if anyone in here has ever seen him. He's meant to be..." He pointed up and to the side to indicate outside of the bubble.

The story about the demon was odd. Arms...as tinder? He had expected a description of a beast, not advice on which bit of it made the best bonfire. But it was still more than one heard about the spire demon on an average day, so he nodded appreciatively. "Huh. I don' know many Ascended folk...you don' think the demon is one, though? I don' know 'em that well but I can' say I think they're demons..."

EMMETT
but you're just tall
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe smiled as she watched Emmet consider his answer about the god Vi. He was being thoughtful and careful in his answer, taking time to find the best way to convey the essence of a being that was certainly beyond comprehension. Even though she knew a bit about Frey's nature, she would never fully understand them she knew. She didn't think it was possible to understand a diety. So his carefulness was much appreciated.

"Vi is life."

That was awfully philosophical and terrifying. "My...he must be awesome to behold." she said quietly. Frey was impressive for...lots of reasons. The power they commanded over the body was one reason. But a god who oversaw life? It was a lot to take in. "I...don't know. I know Frey hears the people here so long as you are at a shrine." she said.

"No...not as we know them anyways. Ascended look like normal people." she said. He did have an interesting point though. A thoughtful look crossed her features as she looked to the sky. "Though...they could be akin to Ascended. Rather like wolves and dogs are similar but not wholly the same." she said and smiled at him. "You are very smart to think of that."
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"Well, I wouldn' know." He said with a shrug, not having ever seen Vi or really any depictions of him. Emmett didn't even know if Vi was a he, that was just what his parents had always said. Phoebe mentioned Frey, who he didn't know a right lot about, but he was aware it was something to do with sex. That such a nice seeming girl would go right to that deity...he was a little shocked.

"I'm not very smart, Miss. Just...askin' questions." He shrugged. The Ascended weren't anything he was an expert on.

Emmett looked down towards the tea stall. He had promised Phoebe tea, and it was rude to not deliver. "Can y'watch the stall for a moment? I'm gonna treat ya to some tea." With that he took some vegetables to trade and walked down the aisle to get two simple cups of tea for them. He was gone for about five minutes, but when he came back he gave Phoebe not only the tea but also a small flower from the florist's stall a couple of spaces down.

"Here. This is for you. For thanks, for lookin' after the stall."

EMMETT
but you're just tall
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Hmm. That seemed odd to her that there were those devout to Vi but hadn’t ever seen him. That certainly took a deep level of faith she thought… and it made her wonder if Vi really did exist. Did anything even exist outside of the bubble? Or was Vi and the outside just the workings of the hopes and dreams of the desperate? So many questions and so few answers. ”Well I am sure you will see him someday…and maybe your faith in his absence will be rewarded.” she said with a smile.

He put himself down and she frowned a little. ”Now, I don’t believe that. Smart people ask questions. Not so smart people don’t.” she said encouragingly. He was looking for answers, which was most than a lot of people did. A questioning mind was a strong mind, or so her teachers had always said. How else would anyone grow if they didn’t ask questions? They didn’t grow. Simple as that.

”O-oh! Okay, thank you! Yes, I will watch the stall.” she said with a nod. Not that she knew what to do if anyone came by, but she could at least make sure things wouldn’t get stolen. Well. Not even that. She could identify who stole something because she certainly couldn’t defend anything. Fortunately for her thought it was a boring wait and no one showed up to trade or steal. When Emmett returned she was a bit relieved. No incidents! Perfect!

But her eyes widened when he handed her not just tea, but a pretty flower too. Her cheeks turned red and she sniffed it instinctively. It smelled lovely of course. ”For watching the stall? But I owe you for the food!” she said confused and a little flustered. ”But…thank you. It’s beautiful.” she added with a small smile.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"I don' really need to see him, I don' think. Just see the crops comin' up each year. If that is to do with him...then I guess I'll say thanks, if I ever do see him." Emmett shrugged. He had no desire whatsoever to make friends with the Divine. As far as he was concerned he had his life and they had theirs, and there didn't have to be a crossover.

He'd always thought smart people were the ones who understood magic or wrote books, but it was nice that Phoebe didn't think he was dumb. While he was sure that could change over time, it meant right now she liked him.

She seemed very pleased with the tea and flower. Emmett smiled widely, glad to bring a little bit of happiness to her. Being an Outlander had to be difficult, especially one who'd taken on such a large responsibility.

"You don' owe me nothin'. It's fine. I'm just glad you like it. Never been able to give a pretty girl a flower before, so real you gave me somethin'."

EMMETT
but you're just tall
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
She tilted her head to the side curiously. The outlanders all seemed so enamoured with the deities, herself included in a way, and yet Emmett who had grown up knowing of them didn't. She wondered why. "You seem a little disinterested despite worshipping him." she pointed out. "Why is that?" Her tone wasn't judgemental, just genuinely curious. Perhaps the Naturals maintained a distance with the deities for a reason...which she could guess but it would still be interesting to hear from the source. Or was it a more personal reason that Emmett didn't seem so infatuated with them?

"Never been able to give a pretty girl a flower before, so real you gave me somethin'."

Her cheeks turned a pale shade of pink and she looked up at him wide-eyed. "You are giving me lots of compliments for having just met me. You'll make my head too big to walk if you aren't careful." she said in a slightly teasing manner, but smiling prettily. It was...nice to be called pretty. Though...it did make her wonder a little. "But you say it like you've never met a girl your age before?" Granted, she hadn't met a boy close to her age since coming here, but certainly there were more folk living out in the Outlands like he did that were younger. Did he just not like those girls or was she the only one...and thereby the only option...and therefore not necessarily pretty. Oh boy talk about a rabbit hole! Maybe she needed to not think so much and just appreciate being...doted on a little.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"Well...I aight ever seen 'im, so I dunno if he's a good person or not. But Ma says he helps with the crops, so..." Emmett shrugged. He had never been one for theological matters, having been raised to deal with practicalities. "I 'spose if he shows up sometime I might say thanks. But I dunno if he even hears me when I pray 'n stuff."

"'Course I met girls before. There's Jenny up at the farm, n' Susie, n' Maria, n' Celeste..." He began to list off names, counting them on his fingers as he went. None of them would mean anything to Phoebe, but it would hopefully prove he wasn't just interested because he had no other options. She was genuinely beautiful and besides, he thought her being an Outlander was interesting as all heck.

To his delight, Emmett found conversation flowed easily from that point on. Phoebe was fun and easy to talk to, the vegetable stall a comfortable enough place to sit and chat (with the occasional interruption from a customer). By the end of his shift, he was sure it was the best day at the market he'd ever had.

When he left that day, he promised her he'd see her again, then packed up the cart, waiting until she'd left to transform and hitch it to himself. That bit was undignified for a lady to see, he thought.

EMMETT
but you're just tall