a sprinkle of light
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
he had eyes like rain & hair like waves
& a soul as vast and deep as the ocean
It had taken quite some doing, accumulating this many mirrors. Vanity was not a trait common of the fae, and so the alchemist found himself having to rely on trading and bartering (this, Ianto had helped a great deal with), until finally there were enough sheets of glass in various sizes to do the work he needed.

With his hands on his hips and a cool breeze dampening the worst of the midday sun, the alchemist looks down at five large bags of mirrors he has set down just on the outskirts of the Greatwood. Picking up a hammer, he begins to smash what is within, the thick burlap keeping the shards from spilling out onto the ground. It's a bright and chaotic sound that echoes outward, filling the alchemist with the strangest send of unease and joy. He is a creator by nature, but a destroyer by instinct; breaking mirrors might be bad luck, but gods if it isn't fun.
THE LULLABY
& i guess i didn't mind  d r o w n i n g  in him.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in
His first mistake was landing in the middle of the Wildwood. His second mistake was not simply returning to the capabilities of the eagle. Maybe that's the point, maybe he wants to get lost.

So through the trees he goes, silent, light-footed. He becomes one with the forest, admiring its secrets and details. As this goes on, he's started to follow a cluster of bright orbs as they seem to almost dance through the trees. Yet he's jolted from this peaceful venture by the echo of something crashing. The will-o-wisps leave him, disappearing on a gust of wind as it picks up.

So his gaze follows the source of the sound, as do his feet, picking up his pace with each new shatter and crack. He's a bit breathless when he reaches it, leaning breathlessly on a trunk for support. Before him, a dark-haired man brings down his hammer against a burlap sack. Another wave of harsh sound echoes outward. Henry jumps in place and cringes. Well, that explains it...

"What in the..." he trails off, utterly confused to find a man in the middle of the woods breaking things. "Hey! Are you quite alright?" His brows furrow as he grimaces between the sacks and the stranger in front of him.
HENRY
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Remi is one of the strongest and deadliest predators in the Greatwood. Perhaps that's why he hardly takes notice of Henry's initial arrival. Perhaps it's because of the bright smashing of the glass.

"Oh." Lowering the hammer so that it rested against his thigh as he rises, Remi puts one hand on his lower back and leans into it. The delicious crackle is a good deal softer than the glass had been. "Just breaking some glass." He replies with a cheeky smile, before tossing the hammer into the air and catching it by the handle again.

'Want to give it a go? It's quite fun, actually.' Loud, but fun.
THE LULLABY
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Getting a better look at the man in front of him, Henry can see the way that life has toiled against him; the various scars that mark his dark skin, the strength borne of those struggles as he throws his hammer and catches it with muscles that ripple from the motion. He feels like he should know who this is, with such a lackadaisical yet powerful demeanor. It takes him a moment of thoughtful consideration to realize, at which his eyes widen. All of the bewilderment sheds from his expression. "Oh," he echoes, rather stupidly, "you're..."

Remi. A demi-god. For Ludo, no less. Also breaking some glass. Henry's gaze dips down to the bags and back up at Remi again. How is one supposed to act around a demi-god, he wonders, and begins to apologize, "I didn't realize you were... I'm sorry for interrupting-" but he stops when Remi offers him a go at it.

"Uh... well.." he's not sure what to make of this anymore, but he also doesn't want to refuse. He steps forward to close more of the distance between them, letting himself relax. "I could use some fun right about now," he admits, maybe a little too openly.

Feeling a bit of that familiar self-confidence creep back in, he holds out an expectant, calloused hand. "I'll need that, won't I?" He offers a half-smile and tilts his head down towards the hammer.
HENRY
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Remi." The Lullaby corrects with a boyish smile that seems utterly at odds with the stories of murder and silent death that seem to follow him around. Had he a hand to offer, he would have extended it to shake Henry's, but with the potential for glass shards to be everywhere, he errs on the side of caution.

Chuckling, Remi's grin widens such that it dimples his cheeks. "Well, off you go then." The alchemist says encouragingly in a voice that's thickly accented. 'Ah! Yes I suppose so.' So saying he extends the hammer out, before stepping back a few paces lest a few shards shoot out his way.

"There are a few more bags as well, so if you want more to smash, by all means. I do not need it reduced to dust though; no smaller than say..." Tilting his head from side to side as he thinks, eventually Remi holds up his fingers, making a shape approximately a few inches across.
THE LULLABY
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry nods affirmatively, though it does surprise him to find the demigod of death to be so... lively and, well, nice. "Right, Remi," he murmurs and, with more clarity, he offers his own name; "I'm Henry. It's... a pleasure to meet you in person." He's not entirely sure if it is, actually, but so far things seem fine.

Remi gives him a dimpled grin and Henry's admittedly captured by it, offering a meeker smile of his own - though he probably looks more concerned than charmed. He takes the hammer once it's given and turns to the bags.

Just as he's lifting his arms to bring the hammer down heavily on the glass within, Remi's voice catches his attention and he freezes mid-motion. His gaze dances back up to the other man and he raises his brows expectantly, until he's nodding in understanding. "Got it."

Remi will find that Henry's pretty damn good with his hands; the way he handles the hammer is natural and he strikes the bags with ease. He throws himself into the task and lets the worries of his mind ebb away, for a moment forgetting everything else. It's a lot more fun than anything else he's used a hammer on.

He lets out a triumphant "Hah!" when he finds a larger piece and fractures it into bits. He chuckles as he recoils from the strike and turns to look at Remi. There's a broader, more confident grin on his face now. "So what do you need this for, anyway?" He asks, holding the hammer out to let Remi take over again if he wants to.
HENRY
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Raising a brow with wry skepticism at that, Remi chuckles. 'Most who know who I am do not usually want to meet me in person.' Either because they had heard stories of what an absolute monster he could be, or because of what his presence might mean for them. 'Nice to meet you too, Henry.' He adds with a crooked smile.

Henry hammers and hammers, and if he's gone a bit too far, well...Remi doesn't say anything of it. There are plenty more mirror-shards should he need them and honestly the other man seems like he's quite enjoying himself. Bemused, he watches until Henry pauses, looking triumphant in a way that makes the alchemist chuckle under his breath. "Oh, well..." Ruffling a hand through his curls and looking a touch awkward, Remi lets his hand fall into his pocket. "...the mirror shards will reflect sunlight. It is meant to serve as a border for the ascended." He admits, reluctantly.

"Years ago there was...some dispute about where the Greatwood's barriers actually were. This should help, though..I daresay everyone should be clear enough about it now."
THE LULLABY
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry falters at the statement, pausing to look the demigod up and down. It's true, Henry didn't exactly set out here to try and find anyone, least of all this guy. It's a bit late to turn around and leave, though, and he finds that he doesn't really want to do that anyway. So he just shrugs. "I've seen enough death to not be afraid of it anymore," he remarks dismissively, and perhaps to let Remi know that it's not out of ignorance that he remains.

His smile immediately lessens at Remi's answer, to which he lowers the hammer and suddenly feels guilty for helping at all. But he should've known, he supposes, and he looks down at the tool in his hands thoughtfully. "'s a bit cruel, isn't it?" He says quietly.

"So is that why you're here? To keep the Ascended away from the Greatwood?" He lifts his gaze up to Remi, "I thought all of that was beginning to be water under the bridge... why do this now?"
HENRY
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Is it?" The alchemist pauses, genuinely taking the man's criticism under advisement. Quickly he shrugs his shoulders though, and gives his head a faint shake. "I am not so sure. The Greatwood's borders have rarely been observed by the ascended. This much sunlight will not hurt any of them too badly, and no one will be able to say that they did not know they were trespassing." Remi reasons.

"Partially." He agrees with a nod, before his expressions grows stern. Raising a brow, Remi's sea-glass stare falls on Henry solemnly for a moment, as if trying to gauge just how sincere the other man's question was. "If someone came into your home and killed your family and refused to answer for what they had done...would it ever be water under the bridge for you?" He asks softly.
THE LULLABY
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Remi's right, Henry knows this. At a surface level, he feels naïve for questioning otherwise. But deeper down, he wants to see a world in which the races can coexist - or at least, not fight because of what they are. The question of family strikes a chord with him, because he's already lost his. "My family is dead and gone because of the inaction of others, and there is no answer for that," he counters softly, and shrugs, "but I don't feel hate. Nothing is ever so black and white."

"But is this really because of what a few of them have done? Or is it because of what they are?" He asks boldly, gaze flickering over Remi's rugged face. He looks away, though, the muscles in his shoulders feeling taut. Why am I doing this? And yet he continues. "I've heard there's an organization... that wants to destroy them. The Order." And he's not so naïve to think that this sudden barrier is unrelated. Or maybe he's being paranoid.. "Do you think they're right? That Caido would be better off without the Ascended or their Voice?"
HENRY
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I did not say hate." The alchemist corrects in a tone that's soft and understanding. "I said water under the bridge. Because you are quite right, it is not black and white." Gesturing around the Greatwood and to the shattered mirrored, Remi shrugs as well. "So it is here."

Raising his brows, the alchemist thinks carefully about the question asked of him. "When the barrier first fell...the fae wanted none of us in their village, nor their Woods. For the most part we all followed the rules with some exceptions. But it was a handful of ascended who trespassed a number of times. Who then entered the Woods, wounded a tree which the fae believed held a goddess—" It had, in fact, Remi had later learned. "—and killed a number of fae who were defending their home. Later when the fae called for justice, it was Wessex they wanted to answer for her crimes, not the ascended at large." Ruffling a hand through his curls, the alchemist closes his eyes for a moment that he might drink in the sunlight on his face. "It is a hard line, given that Wessex seems to represent the ascended in what she does, but..." Opening his eyes, he offers the other man a sharp stare. "..it was the Voice who sent the ascended into the Woods to attack the Mathair."

Picking up a bag of mirror shards and dumping them into the moss, Remi's jaw clenches at the mention of the Order. "They do, yes." He confirms with an unhappy sigh. "I am not one to weigh in on such big questions. But no, I do not think the ascended are inherently bad or evil. I have been in love with one, in the past. Another was quite literally a part of me. She is not, any longer, but she is still one of my best friends."
THE LULLABY
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry purses his lips shut and he falls mostly-silent at the correction. His brows remain in a hard, furrowing line. Even as he looks down, away, towards the ground. Even as his shoulders fall, his forehead stays creased with pressing thoughts. Nothing was ever simple - and nothing ever would be. So it is here. He nods slightly, a small nod of understanding, of admittance, as he rolls his jaw.

He watches, though, as Remi answers him. A history of recent events is told to him in far richer detail than he might've expected. Finally his brows lift in reaction to Remi's sharpened gaze - and the sharpened knowledge that the Voice was the one to encourage the Ascended to do that to the Fae. Why, he wonders, but doesn't ask.

Remi's jaw clenching doesn't go unnoticed but Henry has to ask, must bring it up. He needs to know more about the Order. Somehow, though, he doesn't think he will get very far in that endeavor. "Well, humor me with your opinion, because at least I'll listen - even if no one else will," he says in response to not being able to weigh in on such matters. Everyone has a voice, and they should use them more often than not.

So he listens carefully as Remi recollects his own past relationships with the Ascended, and he makes a soft hum of agreement. "I have friends that are Ascended, too... and I would hate to see them hurt. Some of them I'd consider like family. I grew up in the Grounds. Everyone there is... family," he stifles a breath that tries to turn shaky, attempting to pull some veneer of strength as he lifts his chin.

He sighs, thoughts drawing back to the Voice. He shakes his head suddenly. "The Old Gods are flawed, too. They've made their mistakes, made more trying to correct them, and that's how we're in this mess to begin with. They trapped us all in a dome. I haven't forgotten that. And aren't they encouraging the Order to destroy the Ascended? That's why, isn't it? Isn't that the same as what the Voice did about the Mathair and the Fae?"
HENRY
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Pulling in a breath, Remi turns his eyes to the treetops for a moment as if the words he seeks are somehow scattered in the leaves. "I think...far away in Stormbreak, it is easier to just think of the Voice as a problem that can be easily eliminated. Ascended cannot pass the gates, and I do not think it is a stretch to say that none of the high ranking members of the Order have any close connections with any ascended." Not like he did. "But..their orders come from the Old Gods." He adds with a shrug, as his gaze falls down from the branches above, and back to Henry.

Remi can only nod in easy agreement as the other man mentions that the gods are flawed all around. "They are, yes." Biting at the inside of his cheek, Remi holds a breath before letting it out in a weary hiss. "Well...I suppose they might say that they did not kill anyone. Trapping everyone in the barrier...certainly that is one thing. But the Voice encouraged death...But she in turn might argue it was for the great good, and certainly things the Old Gods have ordered have led to death as well, and..." Halting this stream of words, the alchemist raises his eyes once again, noting just how hard Henry looked in that moment. How unwavering. How unmoved.

"If the Voice dies, all the ascended will die too. So they have a reason to fight for her. The Old Gods...they too have made sure our lives are tethered to them. I am not so sure mistakes matter, at this point." Remi's cheeks flush a guilty crimson.
THE LULLABY
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry sighs haggardly, finding that he has no argument nor will to try and summon one. "Yes, all of the Gods can be cruel..." he musters the courage to at least mumble this aloud. "I can't really defend the Voice. That's not my intention, either. Frey attuned me, and though I was too young to understand that choice, I suppose that's where I stand. But I can't bring myself to condemn a race of people for it, either..." His gaze flicks back up and across Remi's face.

The flush of his cheeks makes Henry's demeanor soften unexpectedly. "It sounds like you're torn," he murmurs empathetically, expression warming with concern. He's torn too, truly; it's something that keeps him awake at night. If he were Ascended, this would be easier. But he isn't and so it's not. "I imagine you and the Ascended have the least amount of choice in this out of all of us," he sighs.

Slowly, Henry makes his way towards a nearby tree stump and sits down. "Why did you choose Ludo, out of all of them? Why not Safrin, or Frey? Or would it even matter..." he grimaces.
HENRY