the world spins madly on
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
HENRY
I was waiting for something extraordinary
but as the years wasted on...
The orange door of Oliver's shop should be more welcoming to him, considering that he helped to build this place. Normally it would bring him a sense of pride and contentment, to see it still standing strong, to see their hard work pay off.

Now, however, no such feeling surfaces. The door's intimidating and Henry finds himself spending more time than he should.. hesitating, shuffling his feet, shifting his weight, mulling over how he should tell Oliver about what happened in the Hollowed Grounds. It was his old home, of course he would have a right to know. Judging from the letter, he didn't seem to have been informed yet.

Henry opens the door eventually and steps through, quiet, trying not to make himself known. He peers around, first at the shelves, then at the forge. But he pauses, with his hands in his pockets, shifting uncomfortably. "Hello? Oliver?" He forces his voice to lift, "I got your letter..." he trails off.
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
and yes i've been changing. for me, not for you
The forge has seen some minor updates!

A small wall was built: just some plywood supported up. It wasn’t anything fancy but it almost formed a storage area, which was what Oliver used it for. Not very big but large enough to store his tools on some shelves and to have a chest at the bottom.

That’s actually where Oliver was, humming quietly to himself. The forge was normally very quiet, maybe some music player would be nice... but could he even get one here? He wasn’t sure. His old home had lovely music boxes, but it felt impossible in this world.

A familiar voice, one he had been missing, called his name. His eyes widen and a smile slowly spreads across his face. ”Henry?” It’s quiet and almost as if he believes it could be fake.

Standing on up, he peered around the wood and looked at the man. His smile grows somewhat and his eyes flutter, his heart skipping a beat. ”Im so happy it got to you! Thank you for coming.”

Like any good owner, Oliver moved to approach the man before his smile slowly faded. Tilting his head to the side, he frowned somewhat. ”Hows about a drink? And um... we can chat about what’s on your mind?” Oliver had been clearly thrown off. His entire demeanor had shifted- to one of happiness and even some clear infatuation to worry and a desire to be nurturing.
smile for the camera, it's just a shot in the dark
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
HENRY
Oliver's excitement is so tangible it could probably be felt just in the air between them, if Henry were open to such feelings at this moment in time. "Yeah," he says quietly in confirmation that it's him, his voice unexpectedly hoarse.

The blond curls crop up around a corner of a newer wall, likely a recent addition, and Henry's gaze swivels towards them. He softens, a little, at seeing the smile and the way Oliver seems to glow in his presence. He wishes he could reciprocate the feeling, but he anticipates that his visit is going to be a bit of a disappointment in that regard. "I'm glad you sent for me," he replies a little smoother, and he can manage that at least. It's true. Otherwise I might not have come is something left unsaid, however true it may be (which is up for debate). In all the chaos of losing his family and helping the Grounds, he hadn't had much time or energy to process his feelings for Oliver.

He shakes his head and looks down sharply, "I uhm... I have some things I need to tell you about. Tea would be nice... if you don't mind. The flight here was... rough," he glances back up towards Oliver's worried face, trying not to flinch underneath it, "a lot of things have been rough since I left." He doesn't know how well Oliver will respond to what he has to tell him, either, which only makes him all the more anxious to.
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
There is a nod- of course he sent for Henry! Although, he always wished a visitor would appear and that it would be Henry... but that almost felt too optimistic. ”My door is always open, yeah? Even when I’m not here, feel free to drop by if you need shelter.” Oliver couldn’t offer too much if he wasn’t around, but even just a place to sleep for the night would hopefully be a lot... maybe too much? Oh well. He already said it.

Things changed and it wasn’t hard to tell something was wrong. Oliver hadn’t been around Henry much but within their time together, Henry always seemed so happy. Any inclination to the contrary was obviously a major concern that was soon confirmed.

A simple nod and Oliver moves to make it a bit more homely.

Using his telekinesis, a metal kettle and two ceramic mugs appear from behind the wall. A board that was flat against the wall also folds down to form a table, a wonderful space saver. From the corner he brings over two stools.

Meanwhile, manually, he works to bringing a jar of loose tea off of a shelf and pulling with it a bottle of whiskey. ”I don’t normally like using this much magic... but I think you and I could use a cup of tea a little quicker than normal. “

The two containers were set on the table along with the mugs. ”Take a seat, please, you can talk whenever you feel comfortable. And if you don’t want to talk, that’s fine too. I’m here to help out in any way possible.” His full attention was turned towards Henry, speaking to him quietly, but worry ebbed in his voice.

A soft sigh and he fills up the kettle with a pitcher of water before setting it on the fire. While he waited, he would once again turn his attention towards Henry, giving the man the opportunity to speak should he feel ready.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
HENRY
Henry stands idly by as Oliver uses his telekinetic abilities to create a spot for them, vacantly impressed with what he sees but.. again, it's vacant. It's hard for him to show it, let alone mention it. So he simply watches, until Oliver brings over the stools for them to sit on. "Thank you..." Henry murmurs, his mouth feeling dry already. His gaze lifts towards Oliver's face as he mentions not typically using this much magic. "Why waste it...?" he asks quietly, intending to be encouraging but it falls pretty flat.

Oliver's energy and enthusiasm, his attentiveness, it's all so tangible and it makes this so much more difficult. Not that it's anyone's fault. Henry just feels guilty, wishes he could just... forget everything else and enjoy Oliver's company. Gods, what he would give for a space to just breathe.

So he tries to give into the space Oliver is providing, leaning down into the stool. Whenever you feel comfortable, Oliver tells him, and Henry fumbles a little with that. A smile cracks across his face, but it's got absolutely no heart in it, "I don't think I'm capable of feeling comfortable right now," he scoffs bitterly, though it's not directed at Oliver.

His expression softens and he tries to find words, aware of the other man's attention being completely honed in on him. Should just rip the bandaid off, there's no reason to poke around reality.

He looks down at the surface of the table, placing his hands on it. "My family... while I was gone-" there doesn't seem like a perfect place to start, however. He takes a stabilizing, deeper breath.

"During Longnight, there was... a lot that happened. The Grounds was set on fire by a Sparkbird, so it's called. Wessex believes that the monsters are gone, but..." he sighs heavily, trying his best not to get emotional but here is where he finds his gaze shaking and his fingers flexing against the wood beneath them. His lips twist into a grimace, to which he looks further away with a sharp turn of his head. "My family's gone, Oliver. There's nothing left."

It's so hard to say, especially now, where he feels so vulnerable. He tries to keep some veneer of his strength, but finds that it crumbles between his fingers like sand. A choked sound is muffled in his throat and he shakes his head, barely feeling the tears as they gather in his eyes and roll down his face.
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Blacksmith

Change author:
The whistle of the kettle is quiet by design, meant for someone who will be right nearby. It took a damn lot of time figuring it out with a lot of duds, but thankfully it worked out. Moving on over, Oliver still tried to show Henry he was paying attention as he continued to prep the teas.

The moment Henry begins to mention his family, Oliver’s eyes soften and he finds himself frowning with worry. That’s never a good statement and with LongNight following behind, Oliver is already able to assume exactly what happened. Still, he allows Henry some time to speak, pouring the cups of tea quietly.

With only one mug poured, the words fall out and Oliver quickly pours himself one, only filling it halfway.

Quietly, he moves on over and sets the mugs down gently. Slowly, he reaches over to place a gentle hand on Henry’s shoulder, closing his eyes and leaning close to try to offer him the comfort needed. If Henry rejected his touch, he’d move away, but hopefully he’d allow this closeness.

”Take as long as you need... it’s okay.” His voice remained calm, leveled. It was in a quieter tone, meant for only Henry to hear. ”You don’t need to say anything else it’s okay... we can sit here as long as you want.” No pressure for Henry to do anything. He could take his time to sit there and simply... wait.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
HENRY
The physical comfort Oliver provides is more than enough, as Henry sinks further over the table. He feels defeated, like he lost a battle he wasn't prepared to even fight. But there's a reason he's come. He could've sent a letter back in return, or he could've ignored it entirely and let Oliver wittle away in the back of his mind. He didn't want to do any of that, though, not when he's already lost so much.

So being told that he doesn't need to say anything else about it is a weight lifted from him. For a little while, all he can do is sniffle silently to himself, wiping away at his tears before they can leave their stains.

He turns to look at Oliver, trying to meet his gaze, and his mouth opens to speak. His voice fumbles around uselessly in his throat and he cuts himself off, snapping his mouth shut and looking down again. He shakes his head. There are no words that could describe this broken-hearted feeling.

"I'm sorry. I know you left the Grounds, no doubt because of things like this," he finally says, a bitter edge to his tone, not looking at the other man. Quieter, words softer in nature, he adds, "but I needed to see your face..."
nothing ever did
unless I caused it
Blacksmith

Change author:
With not enough context and Henry seeming like he just needed some time, Oliver remained quiet, allowing the man to let it all out. He wasn't sure if now was the right time to comfort him, but at least he could provide the man with company.

It wasn't too long before the man spoke again, a sigh of relief leaving Oliver. Talking was... a good sign. And the words were good too- they even made him feel warm inside somewhat. "It's okay- I'm here for you... this is not at all why I left the grounds so please... know you're safe to come to me if you ever need to talk about anything or if you ever need help with anything." Damn, why did people think he wanted to leave? Yeah the Ascended shit didn't help, but fuck was the Grounds boring. That was why- but he wasn't about to say that. Now was... really not the right time.

"I really like being around you... and I want you to know you're a guest in my home anytime you want." If only Oliver knew this would be the last time he would see Henry for a while- the last time he'd be able to talk to him. It wasn't something he'd want to think about, but it would be the harsh reality that would soon come to fruition.

FIN