The Wicked Day [Open!]
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Age: 30 | Height: 6’4” | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 4 - Int:
Played by: Sage Offline
Change author:
MP: 345

The sound of sliding metal rang out through the strangely still air. Evening light gleamed off of a beautiful blade held fast by leather gloves. A sweep of red nearly engulfed the tall man, his vibrantly colored cape whirling around him as he spun around to assess his surroundings.

What... What happened? Where was he?

”Merlin!” He called out, demanding the sorcerer reveal himself. Was this one of his advisor’s strange tests, lessons? He had just been speaking with the old man, then suddenly he was here. At least, he thought he had been speaking with him. Or was it one of his knights? Everything began to mold together in a blur, and Arthur squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, trying to piece together exactly what had happened.

It wasn’t winter in Camelot... Did he lose time? Was this a dream? What the bloody hell was happening? He had to get back home. He had to find his horse and find Merlin and find his way home to figure out what the fuck just happened to him and how.

The man kept a tight hold on his sword, not even remembering the golden circlet atop his head. He wasn’t wearing his crown thankfully, but the circlet would make it relatively obvious that he was of royal blood. Not exactly a good thing if he was in enemy territory. His kingdom was in a time of peace, so he didn’t believe that this was some kind of attack, but a healthy dose of paranoia and caution could never hurt.

”Hello?” He said, feathering his bearded jaw. Arthur felt a chill bite at him through his tunic and chainmail and decided that he couldn’t stay outside if he wanted to make it home. A dead king would do the kingdom no good, so he started walking, looking for someone to direct him home.

arthur
The Once and Future King

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825

Phoebe usually tried to avoid the sanctuary so as not to accidentally summon a god or goddess, but sometimes it was unavoidable. Today was one of those instances. In following the Luxere, she had gotten well off the beaten path, and passing near the place was the fastest way for her to return home. Which she desperately wanted to do. It was freezing and the wind was picking up. The end of her nose was red with cold. So she hurried back as quick as she could, arms tucked close to her waist, empty bag of treats in hand.

That's when she heard the shouting. Had someone gotten lost? Were they hurt? She detoured immediately and was quick to find the...well didn't he look regal. With wide brown eyes she approached, waving a hand to get his attention. He was definitely out of place...had he only just arrived here? She was running into lots of new Outlanders lately it would seem. She should open up a welcome office at this rate!

"Hello!" she said brightly, a smile curving her lips. "Are you alright? My name's Phoebe, who are you?"

Phoebe
shine like gold, buzz like a bee, oh you make me smile
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Age: 30 | Height: 6’4” | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

A voice drew his attention. It certainly wasn’t the old, gruff voice of his wizard advisor that he was hoping for, but it was a voice nonetheless, and he was grateful for the response.

Said voice belonged to a woman. She was pretty, delicate by the looks of it and out in the middle of this strange place all by herself. Was she trying to get herself killed? Didn’t she know such a thing wasn’t safe? Then again, he had underestimated women in his time, so he made no assumptions about this girl.

Phoebe introduced herself with a smile and a wave. She seemed cheery, which in some strange way reminded him of back home. Then again, most were cheery and respectable when they crossed paths with the king.

He lifted his sword arm, sliding the blade into its sheath and resting his hand on the pommel. Since she asked who he was, it was clear to him that he was no longer within the realms of the Albion. Practically everyone knew the face of the king, even more knew the triple crown coat of arms displayed on his cape.

His head dipped in respect to the young woman, and he lifted his brows just slightly. ”Arthur,” he said. ”Arthur Pendragon. My lady, you would forgive my urgency and lack of manners, but it is of the utmost importance that I return home. Would you be so kind as to show me where to find a horse and point me in the direction of Camelot?”

arthur
The Once and Future King

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

Phoebe watched a little warily as he lifted the sword...then sheathed it thankfully. Seeing the blade put away made her much more comfortable frankly. She was very much helpless out in the world like this, so it was just a good, obvious sign that this man might not mean harm. She could also tell by his mannerisms that he was of well-to-do stock...also indicated by the circlet and quality of his armor, but now it was confirmed.

Time to turn on the finishing school charm then. More flies with honey and all that.

Phoebe dipped a well-practiced curtsey to him in a more formal greeting. She tried not to blush as he called her my lady, knowing if he knew her lack of status he would be much less polite. The gibberish of place names and such that followed was mostly inconsequential. None of it mattered anymore. She smiled sadly, clasping her hands infront of her. "It is good to make your acquaintance, Arthur, but I am afraid there is no way back from whence you came. Such is the nature of whatever force brought you to this place, called Caido." she said, breaking the news as delicately as she would news of the death of an infant. "It is a lot to take in, so why don't we go to my home where we can both be warm and I can acclimate you to this place?"

Phoebe
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Change author:

Arthur watched her curtsey to him with appreciation, but his gaze on her was cautious. While she didn’t appear to hold any ill intent towards him, there was always a possibility. Until he understood what had happened and why he was there, he wasn’t planning on relinquishing his guard to anyone.

When Phoebe informed him that there was no way back to Camelot, Arthur felt his heart surge. Surely, a coldness glazed over his normally gentle eyes that he had no control over. No way back? No way…? But that wasn’t… No! That wasn’t possible! He couldn’t be stuck here. Camelot couldn’t be in his past; it was his entire future!

His chest lifted and fell at a slightly quicker rate, but he kept himself under control, not wanting to lose himself. Panic would do him no good, so he remained calm in times of chaos. Granted, while this may not have looked like a chaotic time, it certainly was within his mind.

She offered to bring him to her house, and while he thought hesitance was wise, he nodded his agreement. A young woman – no ring, which meant likely unmarried – and a young man alone together was frowned upon, but he didn’t exactly think he was in a place to be picky about his hand-outs. Besides, maybe picking this girl’s mind would help him figure out a way to get home. There was no way he was just going to accept that Camelot was lost to him.

”You have my thanks,” he said quietly, forcing a small but kind smile to her and offering his arm to her to walk with him.

arthur
The Once and Future King

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe blinked in surprise when he offered his arm, yet knew it impolite to refuse. Once he found out her lack of status he may regret his cordiality. Nonetheless she took his harm with delicate hands, carefully guiding him back towards the town. He thanked her and she smiled up at him - quite a bit up no less! There were few who her this much taller than her! "Of course! I am happy to help. Many here have been through a similar circumstance, myself included." she said kindly.

Phoebe allowed a moment of silence to pass before speaking conversationally. "So the place you come from is called Camelot? A kingdom I presume?" she said with a smile. "I was from a kingdom called Northwind, though I was sent to a smaller refuge known as Northaven to avoid the wars going on before finding myself here." she chattered, finding areas where they might connect to give him a sense of normalcy and comfort.

"Were you a knight there?" she asked innocently, based on his attire of course.

Phoebe
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Change author:

An uncharacteristic cynicism floated through his mind when she related others’ experiences to his own. While he was shocked to hear that others – including Phoebe – had been taken from their homelands to come to this place, part of him doubted that they had experienced the same thing he was going through. Of course he wouldn’t say such a thing aloud. While he believed that his experience was perhaps a bit more extreme, he wouldn’t wish to lessen the severity that anyone else might have been feeling at their own life interruptions.

”Yes, Camelot,” Arthur said, a sudden longing in his eyes. Home. ”A kingdom like no other. It is a time of peace; my dear friend once called it the Golden Age. Everyone is friendly and warm, people are prospering, and there is peace like there hasn’t been in generations.”

She would perhaps notice that he was speaking in present tense, at odds with her past tense description of her own home. Phoebe may have let go of her past, but Arthur held tightly to his, not allowing it to be his past.

When she asked if he was a knight, he glanced down at his attire with a breathy laugh that clouded in front of his face. ”I was a squire actually,” he said, matching her past tense for that single sentence. ”Things changed, though… I am Camelot’s king.” The Once and Future King.

He gave her a smile again, his eyes warm after describing his kingdom. His heart lied with Camelot: he had worked harder than he thought possible to usher the kingdom into her golden age, so to be apart from her with what people thought was no way back… It was a pain he didn’t recognize. ”You understand my urgency in returning home?”

arthur
The Once and Future King

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe listened to him describe Camelot with rapt attention, a warm, pretty smile on her face. ”It sounds wonderful.” she said. And truly it did. She had been born in a kingdom at war. She had left a kingdom at war and entered a “haven” that had been just as tense in its relations with others, and she had entered Caido which wasn’t exactly the picture of peace but struggle. ”I have never known a place to be in such a state of peace. I…can’t even imagine what it is like to live in a place free of war or strife.” she admitted a bit sadly. Though she missed her family, it was because of its tensions that she did not miss Northwind. It had been a very unstable place to be.

”I am Camelot’s king.”

Her eyes could not have gotten wider if she tried. A King?? His title might hold little to no weight here but she still new the significance of a monarchy, and the reigning monarch. Her cheeks reddened with embarrassment, suddenly feeling ever more insignificant next to him. ”You must think me terribly rude then, my apologies.” she said quickly, looking at the ground. If she had known he was royalty she would have been more careful, more formal! She didn’t need to tell him she was a common girl, he probably could tell just by a mere glance! She had wanted to help but certainly she had found a way to insult him on accident.

He asked if she understood his urgency and she nodded, daring to look up at him with sad brown eyes. ”I understand…but that does not change the reality, I am afraid. All of us are stuck here. I’m…I’m sorry but you will have to make a new life here like us all, and Camelot will need to find a new king.” She said, with seemingly both gentleness and firmness. It was a sad reality, but it was the reality. Even with a king, hard truths were better spoken than dismissed for comfort.

”But I will do whatever I can to help you adjust. I promise.” she said with a small smile.

Phoebe
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Change author:

Never known a place of peace? How was that possible?

Arthur had known war and violence, so it wasn’t like he was a stranger to the life that she described, but... He couldn’t believe that there was a way for someone to live in a place where such bloodshed was all they knew. How could hope spring from that kind of life? How could light survive when all that was ever known was darkness? Part of him felt a subtle admiration for the girl walking beside him for being capable of having a kind heart when all she had known was fighting.

The way that she reacted to his admission of being king was slightly amusing to him. Formality of corse held its significance to him, and his court probably would have scolded him for allowing any informalities from those addressing him, but he held no prejudices against her, against anyone unless they had wronged him or his kingdom. As far as he could tell, Phoebe had done neither.

”You’ve no need to apologize,” he said with a small grin. She hadn’t insulted him. In fact, she treated him better than the majority of people would treat strangers, so he could think of no reason to hold anything against her.

She went on to speak of the impossibility of returning to Camelot, and while he didn’t allow it to show on his face, her words stung. It was honest, though: he appreciated honesty. Too many people wrapped bad news in layers of cushioning, making Arthur annoyed before they even get to the news itself. Her directness, while painful to hear, was true and kind. Again, not allowing him to hold anything against her.

It did make him fear for his kingdom. His heart was Camelot. He had helped to build her from the ground up. Before he pulled the very sword at his hip from the stone, the kingdom was torn apart in a fight to occupy the throne. Only Merlin’s wits and test of royalty brought the bloodshed to a minimum. Even then, it was a test of the true king of Camelot, the secret son of the late king. How would Merlin and anyone else for that matter manage to find a new king? Arthur had not married, nor even had any bastard children in his time as king. There wasn’t a single person to carry on the Pendragon dynasty. What would become of his home?

He offered her another small smile and nodded once to her offer of helping him adjust. ”I suppose starting at the bottom is something I am familiar with. However, my wizard advisor was my best friend, my most trusted ally. My knights were family. To start over in a world where I know no one...” His lips tightened, and he brought his eyes to her with a forced chuckle. ”Forgive me. I am not exactly used to anything happening that Merlin had not foreseen. He might have been cryptic, but he told me of his prophecies. This was not one of them, so my acceptance of its finality is hesitant to surface.”

arthur
The Once and Future King

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:

Phoebe's shoulders relaxed a little when he said their was no need for her to apologize. She still felt as though she needed to be on her toes. He was a king and certainly he had high expectations of those around him. That was a sort of pressure she wasn't used to and it reminded her of the worst parts of her finishing school years.

He spoke of those back in his homeland and she nodded, a sympathetic smile on her lips. "In Northwind, where I was born, there were mages who could transport people across dimensions. I was chosen to leave Northwind for a new place - Northaven - in an attempt to keep us from the fighting to rebuild our people. But such travel is one way and permanent." she said, giving him enough background to understand the significance of what came next. "My mother, father, and two sisters were there. And my friends...everything I had ever known was gone. In Northaven I had my brother...and then I appeared here without him." Phoebe didn't really count Roana, and she figured he wouldn't either. Roana was her sister in law but...she lacked a relationship of significance with her. "It was hard at first...but I have made some good friends here since arriving. I am certain you will too...and you can count me your first if you so wish." she said with a warm smile.

He mentioned how this Merlin had prophecies and how this was not one of them. "I can't say I know much of prophecy...but no future is set in stone. Circumstances change. People make choices...beings of greater power than we know do too, especially in Caido. Perhaps his visions were shifted or misinterpreted?" she offered, giving him a new angle to consider. "And I suppose nothing is truly over until you are dead. You were king once, perhaps you shall be a king again in the future...here in Caido." she said in an effort to lift his spirits.

They arrived in the little town then, and she led him to her cozy, welcoming clinic. She set to relighting the fire in the main fireplace. "Make yourself comfortable! You're welcome to stay as long as you need. There are some beds back there even."

Phoebe
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Change author:

Mages. She said mages, plural. In Camelot, magic users were remarkably few and far between. Merlin was the only wizard that he knew personally, but his friend had told him in passing of others who had the ability to use magic on the world around them. It was always such a mystical thing, one that Arthur had never taken part in, but was surely endlessly mesmerizing.

He continued listening to what Phoebe was saying about the mages who could open doors across worlds. That was a power he had never even heard of. How powerful were they? What kinds of worlds did they know of? Was that how he got here? He had to find one of these interdimensional mages and make them open a door back to Camelot. That would surely be the best way to return.

Regardless of his urgency and desire to get back to his home, he knew that he wouldn’t be going anywhere tonight. So, instead of getting lost in his planning and theorizing about powers that he knew he didn’t understand, he decided to listen.

She told him about the people she had and had left behind, and he assumed it was to try and relate to his situation. While he had to admit that the relaxed and – mostly – casual conversation was a welcome thing, it did little to ease his nerves about the days to come.

She offered herself as his friend, and he offered an accepting smile. Friends were things that came and went easily from his life, but it was an amazing thing when true friends made themselves known. He certainly wasn’t going to dismiss Phoebe’s friendship without being given reason to.

Then, she said something interesting… ’Perhaps you shall be a king again in the future…here in Caido.’

He hadn’t thought about that. He’d hardly had the ability to think of anything besides getting home in the short time he was in Caido. If he was king here, would he be betraying Camelot? His mind started whirling with questions of philosophy and truth and understanding, and he couldn’t sort out one whole thought from another. Perhaps he would be, perhaps he wouldn’t. That really wasn’t something he was able to think about at that moment.

Phoebe brought him back to the clinic, and he immediately felt a homey warmth surround him. It was a good feeling for a clinic. ”Again, you have my thanks,” he said, removing his cape and draping it over a nearby chair, his sheathed sword following. ”Need a hand?” He wasn’t exactly a stranger to physical work. Before he became king, his duties as a squire kept him quite busy with labor, so working on a fire was nothing new.

arthur
The Once and Future King