(se) i hear the secrets that you keep
Weaponsmith

Age: 361 | Height: Kinda short | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Neowulf Offline
Change author:
MP: 970
Aamu
Usually he considers it one of the greatest losses of Ascension, but in the Feverlands he considers it a blessing. He can breathe in (or not breathe at all) the thick and humid air without the overpowering smell of death and decay, the rotten and fetid stench of things dying and breaking down in pools of murky water.

It's not like Aamu likes the marshlands, but they are a part of his past, his childhood, his youth, a path traversed many, many times until he was no longer welcome in Stormbreak.

It usually doesn't hurt (a dull ache).

But tonight, it is piercing.

That's why he's out here, honestly, seeing if he can find the way through the Feverlands again, close enough to see the tall cliffs and the distant crown of the city up on high. It's one of the few things that might be the same. Some comfort. (No. He can't get close anyway.)

The swamp is a curse and a blessing, a lonesome place where he is spared the fickle whims of his affliction. Aamu is blissful in his loneliness, a long feeling rod in one hand as he skips from tussock to tussock, trying not to disturb the murky waters.
This is how it works, You're young until you're not
You love until you don't, You try until you can't
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Oh, empty my heart
This had really not gone according to plan. A quick trip into the Ouerwood to have a moment to herself, and then back to Stormbreak before anyone noticed she was not around - that had been the plan. Not getting sidetracked, lost, and subsequently stuck in a swamp as night set in. And of all places, it had to be this particular swamp.

Sequestered on a small knoll of relatively solid ground, Seren sat curled with her back against a gnarled tree, struggling to keep herself awake. Normally this would not have been an issue. The night always made her feel more alive than drowsy. The day had been long however, and taxing, and all she really wanted was a soft bed beneath a solid roof, and a long, uninterrupted rest. Alas, that was not to be. The sound of creatures moving about in the dark made her flinch, heart beating away as she tried to guess what it might be. Swamp rats? Gore crows? Penolaeth coming to claim her head? Or perhaps something more sinister, and far more dangerous... There was no end to the creatures that haunted the Feverlands, and some of them were nigh impossible to defend herself against on her own.

Debating her options to herself, the young demi-god eventually sighed. "Come forth," she whispered, casting a glance upwards. The stars were veiled and offered little comfort, but it didn't matter. One pinpoint of light descended all the same, falling quietly towards her. As it reached the ground, the soft sheen coalesced into the shape of a fox, glowing faintly of starlight. It blinked at her with colorless eyes, and at her command began to circle the tiny island. Vigilant, on guard in case something were to approach.

The light would give away her location, but that could not be helped; at least it offered something else to look at, save the deep shadows all around.
I've got to make room for this feeling
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Weaponsmith

Age: 361 | Height: Kinda short | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Aamu
Perhaps he is made of starlight too: a moon-washed ghost with his pale skin and white hair, absorbed by his own little (mis)adventure. Skip, skip—the thick braid flops along his back as he finds his way, graceful and precise. Each time he reaches ahead to feel the ground out with the rod he hopes to not disturb some of the more unsavory creatures of the swamp.

Habit has him breaking focus every so often to stop, peer around and listen, before continuing on. And it's during one such little pause he (to his own surprise) actually notices something. He is just about to hop along again when he registers the presence, the moving light, and he braces so as to not topple himself into the waters.

It's... a fox? A fox. A fox made of pure light and stars, prowling an island barely worthy of being designated as such. A gnarled tree sprouts from the glorified patch of dry ground.

Aamu remains poised on his tussock, staring towards the fox and the tree with a slight frown. What's out there? And why? He knows that curiosity will one day get him well and truly killed, but it's.. fucking intriguing, okay.

So he stands there, indecisive.
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
The starlight sentinel paused in its track. Stopped, and stared out into the night. The halt in the fox's movements brought Seren into high alert, and in an instant she was up on her feet. One might think that as a daughter of the stars she would have no difficulty seeing at night, but alas. In that regard she was woefully human, and all the could make out in the landscape were indistinct blurs and shapes. Unless... that pale dot out in the distance. Had it been there before? Was it a rock, or some plant, or..?

She did not hesitate for long. A gesture sent the faintly glowing fox out into the swamp, towards the thing that had caught its attention. Swiftly it ran, on paws light and nimble, and its course was set for the not-human with the moon-hair.
"I know you're there," came the girl's voice. It trembled slightly, far from as sure as she tried to pretend. "Make yourself known, or leave, please. I'm in no mood for games." Not that any of the creatures of the swamp would care... Oh Safrin, she hoped it was just a rock.
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Weaponsmith

Change author:
Aamu
Now wouldn't that be comical, the daughter of Safrin demanding rocks to identify themselves?

Aamu squints in the dark as another shape appears beside the gnarled tree, this one distinctly more alive and human. Unfortunately he can't make much out, because the star-fox scurrying towards him (and putting his own grace and litheness to shame) blinds him to everything that's beyond it. He doesn't like it, and wonders if it is intentional.

"Hello there," he breathes to it, not sure if it's alive or just a conjuration, but it's pretty and charming all the same and deserves to be greeted. (It'd be one hell of a pet, though. Who's up on that island?)

The voice carrying through the darkness is young and distinctly feminine, rippling and trembling as it moves over the placid waters. Torn between pity and a desire to snort (playing games? thanks but no thanks miss, I'm just taking a walk and had no idea you were here until you gave yourself away) he's not sure how to respond, struggling between those two instincts.

"I'm right here," he ends up saying, opening his arms kind of helplessly. This need to hug absolutely anyone and everyone is getting annoying, especially when you meet a high-strung stranger in the middle of a swamp. The restless, ticking itch sits just behind his breastbone, has him inching towards the next tussock. Then—curious, gentle. "What are you doing out here?"
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Sending the fox off was a miscalculation on her part. It had gone no more than ten feet from her when the summoned critter suddenly blinked and faded out. The soft greeting fell on deaf ears, whispered to naught but a ghost of dying light, and in its place came returning darkness. Deep and unbroken. She hadn't even seen what was out there, and not the spell was broken.

Except the reply confirmed to Seren that someone was out there. Within speaking distance, which... was perhaps a little too close for comfort. Was it better or worse that they sounded nice? There was still a risk of them being some kind of tricky being - a spirit maybe - come to lure her from the relative safety of her knoll. Squinting at the paler patch of black, Seren hesitated before answering.
"I got lost," she admitted with some chagrin. "I was supposed to go back to Stormhaven, but I was turned around. And then it got dark." And now here she was, her light shrug seemed to say. It was a pickle, but not a catastrophy. Cause for caution, but not fear. Really, she was not afraid. Not at all. "What are you doing here?"

Another whispered command under breath had more stars fall down from the sky. This time they coalesced into birds. Three small blackbirds, to be precise, that settled in the branches of the tree above her head, emitting a soft but steady glow of starlight. Gazing out into the dark, they resumed the vigil as the starchild focused on the person. The... man? was inching closer, and she waited warily to see what they would do.
SEREN