[SE] see the light as it shines
Open
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
I am magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
Seren's smile widened at the shock lacing through Umbra's mind when the cat changed. He had obviously not expected that, and snorted in bewildered offense when the fish was denied him. In youthful defiance he soon turned his back on the humans and took to staring down into the water. Searching for more fish, and contemplating whether it was worth the effort to catch another.

"Nice to meet you, Ray. I'm Seren," the young woman replied. "Never mind Umbra, he's a glutton who needs to learn some manners. You are by far a better fisher than me... never quite learned to love it." Slipping down to sit on the steps leading up to the stone structure, her shrug was light and somewhat indifferent. "What is it like, being a panther?"
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

A panther in the night, a fire burning bright.

Ray watched Umbra skulk off with an amused grin before turning back to Seren. "He's certainly something." Her voice already held clear fondness for the little dragon. She nodded when Seren introduced herself, happy to put a name to the face. As she continued to prep the fish, Ray gave a small shrug. "Fishing is hard. I'm hardly any better at it in human form then panther. Ironic given that I was born and raised here in Torchline."

At Seren's question, Ray gave a small hum. "It's hard to explain. I'm still me when I shift, still fully present and cognitive and all that. But there's an extra....wildness? Awareness? The world shifts focus almost, with your senses strengthening and you become more in tune with the nature around you. For me at least, it feels better to shift where there's less people because of that." She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts. "Being a panther, it's almost like my mind is quieter but sharper. And the feel of moving in that form is so much more fluid and powerful then walking around in my human one. It's a completely different experience." Ray shook her head with a sigh. "I don't know if I'm even explaining it correctly. But I love shifting."

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren listened with interest to the explanation. With eyes closed for a moment, she tried to imagine it, and shivered in soft longing. "It sounds amazing," she admitted, and smiled at the other woman.

"Who attuned you, if I may ask? I've always sort of wanted to do that... but I don't know if it would work." Was she attuned already? Could she come closer to Safrin than she already was? It was a curious notion. Not to mention... Seren played with the idea of turning into something else. What would she become?
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

A soft smile came to Ray's face. "It really is." She would never regret following in her parent's footsteps and becoming an Attuned. It had brought great joy to her life, the benefits vastly outweighing the few downsides. She tilted her head at Seren's questions. "I don't mind you asking.  Rae attuned me. I'm an herbalist so science is a part of my identify. Rae was the best choice for me."

She paused for a moment before continuing. "If you don't mind me asking, what are you? You're clearly not an Ascended and if you were an Accepted there would be nothing stopping you from Attuning." Ray had a feeling that Seren was a demigod but she wanted to double check before offering what little advice she could. That and if it was true, she wondered if the young woman would even divulge that information. Was such a thing too personal?

r a y

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
—Albert Camus

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
It was a suitable thing indeed, and the young woman nodded in recognition of the answer. If anything, her eyes had gone a little wide with the reply. "Did you actually meet Rae?" she breathed, a touch of awe coloring her tone at the idea of standing face to face with nature itself. But perhaps it had not been such direct an encounter...

"You can ask anything," she replied cheerfully, when questions were turned back on herself. She saw no reason to hide anything about herself, and had no real secrets entrusted to her to be reticent about. "I am a demigod. Safrin is my mother. So, you know... in a way, perhaps I am attuned to her already? But I can't shift. I suppose she gave me other gifts instead." Seren gave a light shrug. Already blessed with more fun tricks and abilities than most, she wasn't exactly complaining about her lot.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray shook her head, her hands waving as well. "Oh no! It was more of just Rae's presence. I don't know if the Gods actually ever show up physically for your typical Attunement. If that was the case I'm sure far more Attuned would have met them by now." Ray paused, the idea of meeting Rae baffling her. "What I wouldn't give for the honor of actually meeting Rae..." Her voice held pure wonder at the mere concept. "I'd have a hard time not asking a ridiculous number of questions about herbal flora that I had yet to discover."  Ray chuckled at the idea. "I'd probably annoy Rae honestly."

Ray's eyes widened. "I suspected you were one, but I wasn't sure. Safrin, huh? Wow. If that's the case, maybe you are Attuned in some way? It'd be worth asking. Or even just mentioning that it was something you'd want." A thought occurred to her. "You do get the opportunity at least occasionally to speak with your mother, right?" Ray had no idea what the relationship between demi-gods and their divine parents were like. But she hoped that there was some level of familiar love and connection. Having a parent but not being able to talk to them when you needed or wanted to sounded rough.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"As would I, with any of them." Her smile turned a bit lopsided. Seren didn't know if she ever would be honored to stand before the creators, nor did she have a clue as to what might be suitable to speak of if it happened. Perhaps when that time came, it would not seem so frightening.

As for speaking to her mother? "Oh, yes of course. I try to keep it in moderation, because she is very busy, but I have never been denied when reaching out to her." Deep affection colored her vocals, and the expressive lips twisted in wistful longing. "I always miss her when we are not together," she admitted.

Tucking a coil of damp locks behind an ear, Seren looked for her dragon and found him pawing at the waves as they rolled in. "Umbra!" At the soft call, the young hatchling perked up, and after only a moment of consideration he came bouncing over, and scrabbled up into her lap. Scritching the dragon under the chin, Seren was grateful to have a distraction; it had suddenly become difficult to speak through a constricted throat.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

A small smile comes to Ray's face, happy for the demigod. It was good to see that at least one God wasn't neglecting their child. She politely ignored Seren's sudden melancholy, not wanting to further sadden her. Ray knew full well what it was like to miss a parent and if Seren didn't want to discuss it further, she wouldn't pry.

Smiling when Umbra approached, Ray held out a hand for the hatchling to sniff. "Hi there. Surprised you earlier didn't I? Sorry about that. I probably should of warned you that I wasn't just a cat." Hopefully the little dragon wasn't upset with her, he was too cute and it'd be shame if he didn't like her.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
The dragon graciously nuzzled the outstretched hand for a moment, but soon turned his attention back to Seren. Trampling around in a circle, he spun a few times before winding himself into a snug ball. Seren grimaced faintly as his sharp claws pricked her skin, but the face soon smoothed into a look of quiet affection when Umbra settled down, seemingly asleep. It was a lie, of course; his ears kept twitching, listening for sounds, but he did not move as she stroked the warm scales. "He doesn't hold grudges," Seren replied softly. "But I doubt that anyone will take him by surprise like that again. He is a fast learner, my little shadow."

Leaning her head back against a pillar of seaglass and coral, blue eyes turned slowly over to Ray. Quietly watching, and surprisingly difficult to read for one who smiled so readily. "A herbalist, and a hunter... what do you occupy yourself with beyond that?"
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray gave a small chuckle, giving the little dragon a scratch under the chin before he pulled away. He really was too cute. Glancing back at Seren, she nods. "I bet. Hopefully he won't start eyeing every creature thinking it's going to turn into a person. Though around here it's a pretty decent concern."

At the inquiry to herself, Ray lit up, happy to talk about her shop. "I run the Lunarium Apothecary here in Haulani! It's my pride and joy. If I'm not there, I'm often exploring to find new herbs." She paused, glancing at the water. "And I'm not much of a hunter. I only do it when I'm out of rations while exploring usually. Or to help cheer up a dragon it seems." Ray added with another small smile. She was careful to give no indication of her secondary job. Seren seemed nice but she was still a stranger for the most part. Instead she turned the attention away from herself.

"What about you? What does a demigod get up to?" She asked with genuine curiosity.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seeing the woman brighten with passion for what she did was a lovely thing. Seren's expression warmed in kind, and her attention was piqued by the mention of the apothecary. "Are you a healer, too?" she asked, with interest. "Do you know how to mend wounds as well as make the remedies?" It was something she had been keen on learning ever since she was little.

As the question was reflected back on herself, the demigod paused for a moment to consider. Her first impulse was to simply explain everything she was doing, share her every hope and dream, and explain them too. But her father's worried expression floated to the surface in her mind, and Seren recalled the promise she had made to be more cautious. Maybe it was a little late - she had already revealed much - but it might not hurt to try.

"Demigod is what I am, more than what I do," she mused, with a friendly smile. "I have been training, mostly. I want to become more like my father, but I have much to learn still." She held her hands out in a gesture of frustration that was not at all exaggerated. Seren was impatient, and many of the skills she sought to possess could only be attained with time and experience.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray nodded "Yes! There's actually a small infirmary in my apothecary." She chuckled. "The stubborn ones who refuse to go to an actual doctor tend to stop by for non-lethal injuries. I ended up adding the infirmary when I renovated for that reason alone. I've fixed more broken noses from drunken brawls then I care to remember." Ray shrugged playfully. "But I doubt it'd be Torchline if that wasn't commonplace.

Ray's chuckle turned into a full laugh at Seren's frustration. "Oh believe me, I know. I spent years training under my mom before I took over. I just wanted to implant all of the knowledge, not spend the hours studying. But I'm glad I did nowadays. By making me build up a tolerance, I'm now able to make myself take the time I need to truly study new herbs and remedies." She grinned warmly at the demigod. "I have no doubt, you'll get there with your training too."She considered asking who Seren's father was, but decided to wait on that. The information would likely end up in her hands at some point if it was needed.

r a y

—Albert Camus

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren nodded her understanding, clearly impressed with what she heard. "I've wanted to learn how to heal for a long time," she revealed. It felt harmless to say; what could anyone make of something so innocent? "I scraped my knee this one time as a child, and a kind stranger patched me up. It seems so silly now, but it left an impression on me." Stretching herself out where she sat, long limbs were angled around towards the sun. Freckles coated her sun-kissed cheeks, and she looked drowsy while chatting. Like a cat stretched out in the light.

"Thank you. I hope so too... though patience is not my strong suite. I suppose that is something you learn as well?" It both annoyed and pleased her, if the wrinkled nose and broad smile was any indication. At the very least, she never lacked for things to do.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:

Ray's eyes crinkled around the corners. "That's not silly at all. It's actually really sweet. And if you're serious about wanting to learn, stop by my shop sometime. I'd be happy to teach you. Gods know, we need more healers."  Ray was completely sincere about her offer. She would gladly teach Seren. The demigod was kind and had the kind of demeanor that would likely put patients at ease.

"Patience is an ongoing skill. You never stop learning it." Ray laughed lightly. "I struggle with it constantly. I don't always have the best bedside manner. Granted, the stubborn idiots of Torchline seem to appreciate how blunt I am about their injuries and stupidity. I doubt such habits would be accepted elsewhere though."

r a y

—Albert Camus