{SE} like snowflakes
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The grin that spreads on his lips is charming, admittedly. Maeve has always had a bit of a soft spot for roughish smiles and fangs. Mix the two and she's likely to swoon. Her bottom lip finds its way between her teeth and she smiles softly, leaning her cheek into her palm as she listens to him speak. A brow arches, the only hint of surprise that she lets show, "My my my... Three hundred and fifty. Aren't you something special? Don't look a day over thirty." Maeve hums, letting her eyes run over him slowly as if to take him in from head to toe, but they quickly lift back to meet his blue gaze.

The tips of his shoes find hers and Maeve shifts easily to allow room for his longer legs as she gets comfortable. "Stormbreak isn't for everyone. Especially not for me. I was there to heal for a couple of weeks and couldn't wait to get out." Maeve informs him, not providing more information on her stay there than that. It isn't necessary, but if he's curious, Maeve will be more than willing to share. The conversations shifts naturally to her line of work and a smirk curls on her lips, "I'm a working Madame. I own and run the Halenani. I went to the Grounds with an Ascended client. There is a... a room there that allows your kind to properly feel the pleasures of the flesh without a need or a bite."
'Cause it's too cold for you here and now
so let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you can't see, we've been falling from the 5th story, hope we don't hit the surface
I look incredible for being a bag of bones.” Varus replied chipperly, smirking lightly before he’s unable to keep the quiet laugh from leaving his chest. He half preens for her to give a good look at him, stubbled chin tilting up a fraction, his gaze focused on her even as he settles into the chair and she makes room for him, a quiet thanks uttered before he’s lifting the glass to his lips again.

As the mention of Stormbreak comes into the conversation, Varus focuses a bit more on what distaste she has for it. “They’re too prissy, in my humble opinion.” He comments with a shake of his head, leaning back again and draping that metal arm over the back of the chair.

She mentions The Room and Varus nods with an amused grin. “Mm yes, the Room. Blessed by Frey which is surprising given it works for us.” But who is he to deny the magic surrounding it? To be able to feel and drink and fuck? It was like a dream come true some nights. But he regards her with a glint of mischief in his gaze. “What do you think about playing a game, Madame? Two truths and a lie and whomever gets it wrong has to take a shot?” His lip curls with amusement, head cocking playfully.
VARUS
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Prissy. That's a good word for it. Maeve snorts a quiet laugh, grinning at him from over the rim of her mug before she finishes the last of her cider. She sets her now empty mug down, straightening herself up with a little hum as she cocks her head to the side. "Frey... Frey is an interesting being. They crave balance more than anything. This war is going to leave the world ravaged and depleted. They'd prefer it not to happen. At least, that's what I've been told." She shrugs her shoulders, not caring one way or the other. Frey wasn't her herald, but they did look after her workers. That tied the Madame to the goddess more than she might like to admit, but there wasn't much to be done for it.

They shift from the talk of gods quickly and Maeve is more intrigued by the idea of a game than anything else. Her brows lift and a smirk curls on cold reddened lips, "That's one of my favorites. Can't really say the balance will be fair. Shots are going to do way more for me than you." Maeve laughs, not seeming too bothered about it as she raises a hand to motion for a waiter. Soon there is a bottle of something strong and smooth along with two shot glasses.

She pours them both out a shot, "I'll go first." The Madame declares, pursing her lips in consideration as she thinks on what to tell him. "I'm a good swimmer. I speak fluid French. I can control bees." Maeve finally settles on, smiling sweetly at him as a playful spark lights up her eyes.
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
you can't see, we've been falling from the 5th story, hope we don't hit the surface
Preferring it not to happen and preventing it from happening don’t fall under the same side of the war in any instance. And Varus knows this, but he doesn’t feel the need to state such a thing. Surely she can read between the lines with it. Still, the Ascended offers her a small nod, a playful smile as he proposes his game. Of course, she sees through him, too, and how the alcohol won’t affect him, but she agrees anyway. “Unfortunately I don’t have much that’ll phase me nowadays.” It’s been over three hundred years since he had, after all.

Still doesn’t mean he can’t pretend and play along.

She goes first though and he slides his shot toward him, before he’s leaning toward her on the table, the elbow of his metal arm meeting the wood of the table between them as he scans her face – searching for where the lie sits. “Mm, well, you’re from Torchline… I’d imagine you can swim. No idea what French is. And bees is quite oddly specific if you were attuned… You’d be able to control any kind of bug you wanted, not just bees.” He hums and haws before he’s leaning back and flashing a fanged grin her way. “I’m gonna go with controlling bees. Only because it was so specific.” And of course, waiting to see where the lie was, Varus will follow through with taking a shot or not.

As for his turn? The grin turns a bit more playful. “I’m an only child. My favorite genre of books are horror. And… I lost my arm in the war.” He sits back, awaiting her response.
VARUS
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve waits for him to muse through the options she presents him with, trying her best to contain her smile. It isn't until he makes his decision that her grin shifts into something a bit more smug, "Prends un verre, Cal. Afraid you got it wrong. I don't know how to swim despite the fact that I was born and raised in Torchline." She informs him, laughing softly as she shrugs her slender shoulders. The bee thing was purposely misleading, but she was absolutely capable of it thanks to that fancy harmonica she received at the Nightmarket. "Halo doesn't have many bees, I don't think. Otherwise I'd show you."

She licks her lips, head cocking to the side, "Hmm... That's a tricky one. I think the lie is that you're an only child." Maeve arches a brow, waiting for him to confirm or deny as she raises the shot towards her lips in preparation to toss it back as she picks her next truths and lie. "I don't know my real name. I have two brothers. I make my own tea."
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Words that sound closer to gibberish to him, slip from her lips and he huffs a laugh as he gets it wrong. “No, they don’t really.” He agrees with a slightly wistful sigh, before he’s throwing the shot back and moving to pour another, absolutely acting in the spot as his face wrinkles with the shot as it goes down, with the heavy sigh that passes from his lips, before his steel blues settle on her again, awaiting her answer.

Nope.” He crows with a grin, waiting for her to take her shot. “I’m a romance kind of guy.” He pauses, the smile shifting to something of amusement, toothy and bright. “I did lose my arm in the war, and I’m the last of my family.” It’s easy information to offer, and when she dives into her truths and her lies, he has to mull them over.

Metal fingers tap at the table as he regards her, brows pinching together after a moment. “I think the lie is that you don’t know your real name.” Because surely everyone knew what their names were, right? He had his, even if he only offered it up in secrecy and privacy.

He waits to see whether he needs to take a shot or not, mulling over his choices. And when it’s his turn again, he takes a deep breath and purses his lips. “I’m good at building things. I knew the Voice before the war. I lived in Stormbreak for a time.” A crooked grin spreads across his face.
VARUS
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

To his credit, he acts like the shot actually has any sort of effect on him, going so far as to screw his face up as if the liquor burns on the way down even though they both know it doesn't. Maeve grins over at him, letting out a soft huff, "Damn. Who would have guessed." She drawls, tossing back the shot herself and hissing out a breath because it does burn on the way down and she can already feel the warmth of it spreading in her chest as well as across her cheeks. Maeve pours herself another shot as she provides him with her statements for the round, letting him consider them all equally as she watches with an amused glint in her eyes.

Maeve shakes her head, "Nope. I don't know my real name. I gave myself the name Maeve when I was fifteen. Up until that time I didn't have one." A bit of a sad story if she were to bother to go into more detail. She's not sure he truly wants to know, but Maeve has no problem sharing. Her past was tragic. That wasn't a secret. "I'm an only child and I do make my own tea. I have a lavender blend that's rather lovely."

She arches a brow, head cocking to the side in consideration. He was old enough that perhaps that statement about the Voice was true. He also called the citizens of Stormbreak stuffy earlier. Maybe he thought as much because of staying there? It was hard to decide. "Is it that you knew the Voice before the war?" Maeve finally asks, getting ready to take a shot should she have picked wrong.

"Let's see... I'm only twenty. I know ballet. I grow poisonous plants." An easier round for him because she's feeling a little generous. Surely he can figure this one out.
Varus Callahan

Change author:
There’s a soft hum of a laugh that slips from him initially – one that fades immediately at the honesty she offers and how… Well, sad it is. But he doesn’t want to bring it up, not wanting to find out the reasons why she didn’t know what her name was, and instead chose to flash her a softer tinged smile. “Well, you picked a lovely name.” He informs her, before he’s lifting the shot and pretending as if it burns on the way down, acting all the part as if he weren’t Ascended and it actually did something to him.

And then he’s waiting for her to offer another round, while Varus pushes himself off from the back of the booth to lean forward toward her again, a sharp fanged grin spreading across his face. “Nope. I did know the Voice before the war. I didn’t live in Stormbreak.” A crooked grin forms as he waits for her to take her shot, then to give her own points for him to guess.

His lips purse as he considers her, giving her a good long look. She looked young (but everyone does to him), ballet was something she certainly had the body for, which left “you don’t grow poisonous plants.” He says with all the confidence in the world.

Alright, last round so you don’t get sick.” He hums with a laugh, leaning back in his seat and readjusting the bag that sits beside him. “The house I grew up in still stands in the Grounds. My favorite animals are cats. One of my best friends from before the war is still around.” This one could be either easy or hard to guess the lie, but he waits for her to offer her thoughts on it.
VARUS
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There is something to be said about the way the lightness that was dancing on his features moments ago seems to fade as realization settles in. That's how it always goes. No one expects such tragedy from her. A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty life. She learned that very quickly. Maeve smiles softly in return, lifting her glass in a little salute, "You're very sweet to say, Cal." She hums in reply, watching as he takes the shot and still amused that he pretends like it does something for him when they both know it doesn't.

Maeve pours him another shot and leans forward on her elbows, gazing up at him from beneath her lashes, "Damn. I thought that was too obvious." She huffs, straightening up slightly to toss back the shot, blowing out a breath as it settles in her belly and makes her head swim. Fuck. The people of Halo didn't mess around with their alcohol. That much was for sure.

"I made that one easy for you." She coos, wrinkling her nose at him as a giggle rises in her throat. Her cheeks are already rosy pink from the liquor and her eyes a touch brighter if not glassy. It was easy to see how unassuming she was. How she could so easily draw people into her with what seemed to be carefree ease. Maeve taps her finger against her bottom lip, head tilting to the side as she muses over her options. "Your favorite animal isn't cats." She says decisively, not really caring one way or the other if she got it right.
Varus Callahan

Change author:
He can be quite charming, all things considered. At the moment, he isn’t really trying to be. He’s simply trying to push away a heavy conversation he’s not at all prepared to have with an absolute stranger. So when she pours him another shot and gazes up at him, he offers her a fanged grin and a hum of a laugh, nodding in response. “You did, yeah.” He teases easily, before he’s offering his own set of truths and a lie.

Dark brows rise on his forehead to hear her say that cats aren’t his favorite, some sort of acted joke of surprise and hurt crossing his face. “I love cats. And my friend Aamu is still kicking. But my house isn’t entirely in working order – half of it’s fallen apart over the centuries.” A playful grin spreads along his face before he’s shrugging his shoulders – leaning forward to push the shot toward her and moves to take his own even if he doesn’t need to, if only so it didn’t go to waste and to keep her from being alone with the burn.

Once that’s done, though, he can see the flush that crosses her skin and the brightness of her eyes. “I’m about to head back to the Grounds, but I can walk you to the Inn if you’d like?” He offers – a gentleman at heart.
VARUS
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It draws a giggle from her, face scrunching up adorably as she looks at him from across the table, the shots having done a good job of loosening her up. "What? I don't know about construction in the Grounds! Things seem sturdy there." Maeve explains defensively, but it quickly fades as she goes to take her shot, face twisting up with the burn before she's setting the empty glass back on the table. Everything is softer around the edges. Nice and fuzzy in that way that alcohol always makes things. A quiet hum pushes past her lips as they curve into an easy smile and she pushes up from the table, extending her hand to him after getting her coat back on.

"That sounds wonderful. Thank you. Sun should have gone down enough that you'll be able to travel without worry." Maeve murmurs, hooking her arm with his as they head back out into the bitter cold. It's a short walk and soon they're at their destination. Maeve releases him, offering a bright smile as she lingers at the door, "If you ever make it to Torchline, come by for a visit."
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Her giggle draws an amused grin from the Ascended, his hands rising in a placating manner, palms facing her as his shoulders rise toward his ears. “You obviously haven’t spent much time in the Ruins then if that’s what you think.” He teases lightly, the smile on his face still bright despite the heavy topic of that, before they’re trudging on. He stands, her hand extends toward him, and he takes it with his metal one – warmed by the warmth of the bar and the fire they’d sat beside.

Fingers crossed it has.” He chimes in agreement, giving her hand a light pat with his normal one as he draws her into his side, and they head into the cold. The Inn isn’t too far away, luckily, and Varus pauses by the door to let her enter, hearing her offer with a dip of his head. “I will. Have a good night Maeve, drink lots of water.” He winks, tucking his bag over his shoulder and ensuring the book still sits within, before he’s departing down the snowy street toward the long trek to the portal.

- FIN <33
VARUS