back and forth to calm the squall
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I lie awake and wonder why I feel this way, so far away
He gives her the option and there’s a part of him that yawns open with light when she accepts it, when she wants him there. It’s a brightness he can’t quite place but reflects in his smile as he looks back at her, dipping his chin in a nod of agreement. His hand continues its gentle stroke as his metal arm moves to wrap around her with the other one, keeping her close as she explains what happened.

I’m sure it wasn’t either. I know you well enough to know how meticulous you are about the lamps and candles in there.” He agrees gently, after all — Varus had lived there in the time he’s been back. He’d seen it first hand. He still kicks himself for not being here to stop it before it had happened. But he wasn’t and it’s just another thing he has to live with.

Her hand rests on his chest and he smiles down to her, leaning in and pressing another kiss to her lips — fleeting but there, before he’s pulling away in search of cups. “Consider me your personal bodyguard, then.” He murmurs, opening up a cupboard that definitely doesn’t have the teacups in it. “Perhaps my uniform can be that lovely green, what do you think?” He pauses in consideration as he moves to the next cupboard. “I suppose I could blend into your door.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Isla nods her gentle agreement, gazing pointedly at the buttons on his shirt even as Varus wraps his arms back around her. "I had just done my rounds a few minutes before, too," she murmurs. "I would have seen if anything was awry. And it all started so quickly..." Nibbling on her lower lip, she forces herself to let go of the what ifs, stepping back away from him so he can unsuccessfully look for teacups.

"Even as a duchess, I don't think I have ever had a personal bodyguard before," she remarks, reaching into the cupboard above their heads and bouncing her eyebrows at him playfully as she takes down her jar of tea and two cups, setting them on the countertop. "I suppose having you blend in with things would be an advantage," she murmurs, "but I'd quite like it if you were inside the house, rather than outside of it. I find the conversation travels better in the open air, rather than through doors."

ISLA
when it's just the two of us, only the two of us, I could die
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
There’s a low sigh that leaves him in quiet understanding before he’s departing from her. From the sounds of it, it had happened quickly, gone up in a blaze of someone’s fury with innocent bystanders left to watch as everything went up and the unfortunate few left within, unable to make it out. But he, too, passes the what if’s, if only to make an unsuccessful attempt at looking for the teacups.

First time for everything!” He chimes as he flashes a crooked smile her way as she grabs the cups he was looking for and he closes the cupboard he’d opened, turning to her with a curious look that dances along his face. “You think so?” His metal hand rises to scratch at his chin as he thinks, and when the thought hits him, those fingers snap in a very metal echoing kind of way. “Get some metal cans and tie a string to them, that’s how we did it as kids.” The grin he gives her after is entirely shit eating in nature, but he couldn’t help himself. He drifts back toward her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he picks up the tea she’d brought down and places it in the cups before grabbing the kettle to pour the hot water over it. “I see the couch is a bed now. Did you have some place in mind for me to stay?” He asks, gaze lifting to her face as the tea steeps.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

The chime of metal as he snaps his fingers has Isla smiling and she doesn't know why, the noise ringing pleasantly in her ears. "A professional bodyguard and some cans on string," she draws, tilting her head across at him as if to consider the disparity between the two levels of technology. "I suppose we could give it a try." Varus is beside her before she can make the tea herself, his arm slipping around her shoulders so casually that she finds herself leaning into it despite herself.

And then he's asking the real questions, and a silvery flush suffuses Isla's cheeks as she glances down towards his shoes. "Well," she begins, before smiling at her own foolishness and forcing her gaze to meet his own. "What are we doing?" she asks, shaking her head and trying again. "I mean... what are we, to each other? Because I like you. Quite a bit actually, and I know where I would like you to stay, but... if this is just... I don't want to make it weird." If it's just casual fun, she'd rather know now.

ISLA
Varus Callahan

Change author:
She melts into his side and he clicks his tongue, smirking despite himself at what she says. “It’s called balancing the budget.” He teases her lightly, humming a soft laugh at his own joke, before his gaze lands on her again, spies that silvery flush that’s suddenly creeping along his neck when her pebble blue gaze meets his. A dark brow raises at the first question before she’s explaining and Varus’ flush only grows a fraction more prominent as he chastises himself for feeling like a schoolyard boy again with his first crush.

You’re not making it weird.” He assures her as an easier smile spreads along his face. “I like you a lot, too, Isla.” He pauses, head tilting a fraction as thoughts race through his head. “What do you want it to be? We’ve been on exactly one date, though I do count the sand dart game as another… Unofficial date.” His lips purse, considering. “I don’t want to rush anything between us if you don’t want that. But… There’s something incredibly special about you, Isla, and I’d be honored to be able to watch you shine for however long you’d let me.” But again, she was a duchess and he was traditional in some aspects, and truthfully he isn’t sure what exactly that made them.

All he knows is she’s got a gravity of her own and he’d love to get lost in her orbit.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Balancing the budget?" She scoffs at him, grinning. "So I get the very sophisticated professional bodyguard outside my door, and a couple cans on a string to get in touch with him? I think you need to look at your books a bit more closely, Cal." Isla raises her eyebrows, but at that point they're chatting about the super-really-serious-important stuff, and any further jokes die on her tongue.

Especially when he's saying things like that, Isla's cheeks flushing afresh as she gazes up at him, as if waiting for the punchline. Except there isn't one - there's just this man she's only just getting to know, wearing his heart on his sleeve and bringing her murder mysteries as a gift from a faraway place. There's only one thing for it - Isla gives him a little shove for his trouble.

"Stop it," she mumbles with a fluttery laugh, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear only to peek back up at him. "I think I would like to go on more dates with you," she decides. "I would like to date you, in other words. And I'd like to learn more about you, and I don't want you to stay on my couch." Where that leaves, precisely, is something she's sure he'll be able to work out. And if he can't, the way she leans in to kiss him might give a general idea.

ISLA
Varus Callahan

Change author:
The books are good. I am quite expensive, after all.” He teases her lightly, falling away from jokes and playfulness for the task of explaining himself without getting in too deep. Sure, he’s met a lot of others around here, but none really held a candle so far to understanding what it was like to be him — to go offline for hundreds of years, to return to a world you once knew only to have everything so vastly different. She had helped him, been kind to him, and understood. And if anything in those cheesy romance novels he loves so much had taught him anything, it was that it was a start, regardless of how fast it was happening.

So he’s honest, until she’s growing bashful under his gaze and his smile turns a bit lopsided as he huffs a soft laugh, the shove hardly anything in comparison to what he can only imagine to be a racing heart in his chest would be like. “I would love to take you on more dates.” He says, surprisingly breathily, tugging her in against him even after she’s playfully shoved at him. “And tell you about myself and get to know more about you. And get to stay in your bed.” He can’t help the bounce of an eyebrow with that, before he’s meeting her halfway, diving into a kiss that somehow feels like so much more than it had been just a few minutes before.

But he parts, pressing his forehead against hers for a moment, before he withdraws to hand her the cup of tea first before he grabs his, metal clinking delicately against the cup. “So what’s first, then? Knowing more about me or planning our next date?” He asks, the glimmer of a crooked smile over the rim of the cup edge as he takes a sip.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Oh are you? How do I know that you aren't beyond my price range?" she wonders, but then their lips are meeting and he's right - it does feel different to even just a few minutes ago. Isla's arms loop carelessly around his neck, fingers threading through the back of his hair, and she smiles against their kiss as his last point - the one about staying in her bed - belatedly filters through.

"Then I guess we're all set," she murmurs, brushing her nose against his before they're parting to drink tea and talk shop. Grinning, Isla shifts to sit on the counter, sipping at her drink and kicking her heel absently against the cupboard beneath her as she thinks. "Well," she says, "I have already learned that you aren't a fan of green shirts, that you are expensive and that you would make a very fetching doorman. So I think we can plan another date - which is good, because I need to go back to Torchline."

ISLA
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Discounts.” Varus manages to mumble before their lips meet and her arms are looping around his neck and his tighten around her waist, keeping her tucked against him for however long the kiss lasts. It doesn’t last as long as he’d like otherwise, but there’s tea to drink and dates to plan and general talking that must be done. So she hops up on the counter and Varus stands beside her with his hip against the countertop by the leg that kicks against the cupboard below Isla.

He lowers the cup after taking another sip and regards her curiously. “It was just that shade. Green is a good color, just not that particular one.” He shrugs casually, amused despite himself. “What’re we going to Torchline for this time? I assume it’s more than you trying your hand at becoming my Sand Dart Queen.” He nudges her leg with his metal elbow, humming a soft laugh, but awaiting the true answer regardless.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

Discounts? Isla wants to smack him and kiss him for his deadpan retort; alas they are both too busy with the tea for now, so she'll have to bring it up again later. Besides, there are dates to plan and shades of green to discuss. "Oh I see," she murmurs, nodding sagely behind her cup (though the raise of her eyebrows says she's likely going to call bullshit). "Perhaps we will have to make you a Deepfrost wardrobe. Green can be quite festive when the seasons get colder, you know."

Lowering her cup to set it on the counter, she grins and nudges his elbow right back with her leg, surreptitiously trying tomake him spill his tea. "While I would like nothing more than to become your Sand Dart Queen, this is something for the Voice. She has asked me to collect some sea glass from Torchline. It's for something I can use to help the Ascended if they need it."

ISLA
Varus Callahan

Change author:
He’ll be happy to pick up the discount conversation later, given that now they’re sipping tea and talking of dates and colors. Her comment of a Deepfrost wardrobe flecked with green has Varus smirking lightly as he considers it. “Do you think it’ll match my complexion, though?” His gaze lifts to her from where he stands, an amused grin spreading across his face. “A deeper… Blue green I think would make my eyes pop.” It’s punctuated with a wink, a deep rumble of laughter.

But then he’s nudging her leg with his elbow, watching her face and not her leg as she bumps back into him, very successfully spilling part of the tea right down the front of his shirt causing him to jump a fraction, spilling a bit more. Still, her words distract him, even as he sets the cup down and reaches for a towel to dry the spot down his whole front. “So you went and talked to her, then?” He grins, vibrant and bright as he peers up at her, managing to get nowhere when it comes to trying to clean up the slight stain in his woolen shirt.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"A blue green with hints of silver, perhaps," Isla concedes with a smirk, looking him over for a moment with the practiced eye of one who had been a duchess when she wasn't stitching people up for a living. Granted, this scrutiny just means that she gets a front row view of Varus spilling tea all down himself, Isla unable to stop the tinkle of her laughter ringing around the kitchen, however much she might try to hide it behind her cup.

Reaching for the towel to relieve him of it so she might dab at his shirt (she'll be able to see the mess better), Isla nods. "Mm, I did. She needs me to collect the sea glass, and I need a way to electrically charge it. Oh, and some ice from the Sea of Glass in Halo. So I guess the next few dates are planned, if you're in?" She grins. If only she knew.

ISLA
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Silver? Silver is good.” He hums, consideringly, right as he spills the tea all over himself and can’t help but to laugh at it – a deep rumble of it that pairs with Isla’s tinkling laughter. He sets the cup down and moves to grab a towel to try and clean it up, before his gaze is rising to her as she takes it from him – doing a much better job at cleaning it up than he had.

There’s a glimmer of happiness that sparks in his gaze at the fact that she had gone and seen the Voice, and with a quest on the horizon he lets all those thoughts sprinkle across his mind as his hands slip back to her sides, keeping her close to him. “Oh I’m absolutely in, Isla.” He flashes her a wide fanged grin. “It’ll be a couple of great adventures.” Tipping a wink her way, he hums another laugh, before reaching for the tea to finish it – completely content to wash out the dishes for her, while they plan the next series and dates before everything starts to fall apart.

- FIN <3
VARUS