empty hands with no stone to throw
Isla
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Maybe I'm not so good as I make myself seem to you
I know I have a bad heart
She lingers after the fire; though as the medic trails away at Remi’s side, looking as faint as her kind can, Nephele leaves and mills with the thinning crowd as they whisper and shake like scared dogs outside the Temple. She bides her time. Listens and murmurs her own alibi, making soft commiserating noises when the dead are mentioned. There is no guilt, no remorse. They were merely collateral in the war that she does not intend to wait for.

When the sun rises, she asks around for the doctor’s lodgings. Arm pitifully wrapped and scorched shoulder still bare, Nephele stands on Isla’s doorstep and raps her knuckles against the woman’s door. It is a dangerous thing she’s doing and she knows it, but her kind have relied on gilded tongues and convenient alibis before. This is her heritage.
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
when it's just the two of us, only the two of us
Gilded tongues, but unable to lie. Perhaps Nephele will be lucky and Isla will not ask the direct and practical questions that she is known for. Perhaps not. Either way, there is not much of a wait when the Fae taps at her green door; it's a small lodging, but tidy and clean if not entirely filled with sunshine. And Isla can't really look all that tired given that she doesn't need to sleep or rest, but she definitely appears world-weary when she answers.

"Oh," she says, "hello. Please come in - is it about your shoulder?" She nods at the state of the Fae woman, ushering her into her living room. It's a very makeshift clinic that will get more comprehensive in the coming days, but it's nothing compared to the infirmary. "I'm sorry, this is about as rudimentary as it gets at the moment. My name is Isla."
i could die
Isla
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Nephele is far more haggard looking, dark bruises under her hazel eyes and still with a fine layer of ash in her long copper hair. Still she manages a smile, the forced nature hidden by her exhaustion. “Oh. Thank you, but I don’t intend to stay long. I need to get back to the border.” She is ushered in all the same, standing awkwardly in the woman’s home and looking very small even without her diminutive stature.

“Nephele,” she introduces in turn, moving to extend her left hand as is natural to her only to hiss at the pull of burned skin and extend the right instead. “You need not waste supplies on me when they are now scarce. That’s why I cannot stay - I intend to seek a healer in the Greatwood.” She’d wrapped her forearm well enough. Scientific mind allowing a certain level of anatomical knowledge even if she was no healer. Turning her hazel gaze towards Isla, she gives a crooked, awkward smile. A ghost of a girl from the past, before she took up her blades and swore herself to the desecration of an entire race. “I merely wanted to ensure you were okay after you left.” The reasoning as to why is definitely darker, but it’s not a lie either.
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Oh?" Isla halts, about to sit down and invite Nephele to do the same when it becomes clear that there's no need; the Fae doesn't intend to stay and Isla's services aren't needed. And although she is concerned, evidenced by the way she glances over the Fae's bandages, what Nephele says is true - her supplies are very scarce indeed. "Well, I hope you are able to find your healer swiftly. Should you need anything, you are always welcome to come here."

Is she okay, though? Isla smiles sadly. "I am alive. More than I can say for the two patients I was caring for. And this is... not ideal." She gestures to her home-turned-clinic. "But things could be worse, I suppose... But if I might ask, what were you doing in the Hollowed Grounds? I did not think the Fae wished to associate themselves with us..."
i could die
Isla
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
The drag of eyes over her burned shoulder and wrapped arm inspire a smile meant to reassure. “Thank you, you’re very kind.” A reluctant admission even as her hazel eyes soften outwardly.

That gaze traverses the room slowly, taking in the hasty transformations. “Adversity presents itself as an open door to ingenuity and perseverance. There is no shame to be had in your adjustments.” Letting her eyes fall back to Isla, she gives a small smile. Reserved, but with a hint of admiration. Kindred spirits in science. For once she feels a deep regret that such a bright soul had been lost to The Voice’s clutches though it doesn’t linger long.

“Admittedly no, I am not enthused to be among you in a less than scientific manner, but I will do what needs to be done for our home.” Wearing a slight look of disgruntlement creasing her pretty face. “I have been in the Grounds a few days now. We are hoping to make agreements with all the lands regarding meat, and I wanted to see if the stock had improved since the barrier fell - I was the Fae most familiar with these lands.” Strained as the ecosystem had been, she’d not had high hopes even if she had sided with Juniper on such agreements for the sake of ‘reparations’ and ‘justice’ that the younger Fae dreamed of. “I was in the Temple at the time of the fire for a prayer for Ludo -” one seemingly answered with Remi’s presence, and more internal than a traditional visit to the shrine, but not a lie, “- I’m sorry, I didn’t see anyone else.”
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"As are you," Isla murmurs with a returning smile, nodding to Nephele and following her gaze around at her makeshift adjustments. "There's a truth to that, yes. And I suppose I can use this as an opportunity to rebuild the infirmary, to make it better than it was before." There are always improvements that might be made, after all - namely, it might be possible to make the place fire-proof.

It's refreshing to hear the truth of the Fae's words (little does Isla know), and she nods her understanding behind Nephele's being in the Hollowed Grounds and the Temple both. Smoothing out her shirt, the medic offers her another small smile. "Well, I am glad that you were there. Thank you for coming to check on everything. Hopefully there will be some clue as to who started the fire..."

Realising what she has said, Isla scrunches her nose a bit. "Sorry - I know it could very well have been an accident, but... I do not think that to be the case. I have been very careful with the infirmary, given the nature of many of my patients. And without a need to sleep, I can check more often than most. I don't know how a fire could have started if not deliberately."
i could die
Isla
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Were Nephele inclined to shame, she’d feel it as more than a brief passing flutter in her belly when Isla returns the sentiment. Instead she gives a small smile, feigning humility with perhaps a touch of genuine fluster at being complimented by another woman. Isla is quite beautiful after all, though only on the outside - like a beautiful tapestry pinned and shaped to conceal a construct made of rotted meat. “More windows perhaps, they proved useful.” Perhaps it’s too soon to joke, but her smile is wry and weary.

The woman’s melodic voice lends itself to rambling well, but Nephele shakes her head, long wildfire locks swaying. “No, I believe you’re right. It was so sudden, and too isolated from the Temple. From my experience with my own experiments, all potent materials would be contained and separated as well.” Pausing, she bites her lip contemplatively, wings shimmering where they flex unconsciously over her shoulders. “I may be of little use to your investigation, but if you have need visual confirmation of those I did see, I will do my best.” The scared faces of the Grounders cast in lamplight by the doors all she is willing to offer, all too aware that it will be a useless endeavor.
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla returns the smile, just as weary but appreciating the sentiment nevertheless. "That isn't a bad idea. I always saw the lack of windows as protection for those Ascended who could not handle the light very well, but I suppose needs must." Blackout curtains wouldn't be too difficult a feature to install either, in retrospect.

It isn't a reassurance, to have Nephele agree with her, if only because it does prove that this was a deliberate act of arson against those already sick and wounded. Isla nods sadly, rubbing at the back of her neck. "I will certainly keep that in mind," she murmurs. "Thank you, though. For your offer of help, and for stopping by to see me. I hope that your injuries heal quickly - and as I said, if you do need anything... well, you know where I am."

Little does she know that this works in Nephele's favour in more than one way.
i could die
Isla
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
“I am confident you will find an alternative. Perhaps low to the ground, or curtains.” A shame that construction will likely start and finish so soon, but it was the point of the fire itself that had been her goal. And now an ally of sorts - an alibi, an in. Isla stands to be all that and more. A shame she is Ascended, as Nephele would otherwise be inclined to like her.

“I will be sure to check in to see how you - and the new infirmary - are doing.” It’s spoken with a smile that hides her inability to say ‘you’re welcome’. With that she moves back for the door, her shoulder twinging as she instinctively tries to reach for the knob with the wrong hand. A silent wave of her hand is her goodbye, and Nephele steps out and into the first dregs of sunrise with a catlike curl of pleasure in her belly.

- FIN
I will have my own way
NEPHELE