anything can happen
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
all my nightmares escaped my head
There’s one thing about living in Haulani with most of the rest of the population of Torchline, and that thing is quite specifically that you see a lot. Granted, from the second floor view, Milo can’t see a lot of what’s going on. But he can see and smell the smoke. He can hear the cries into the night as the sun peeks along the horizon, and given the entirety of Longheat and its warmth, the windows have been thrown open to try and cool the home down while the cooling chill of night takes over.

This time, though, it’s all smoky and terrible, and anxiety eats away at him because he knows Aurelia’s been promoted, a member of the government, another Armbiter, and if there’s something he knows at least about the previous one — it’s that they don’t leave anything alone. Not that he blames her, the smoke is thick and shit keeps happening in Torchline to an extent he doesn’t fully understand.

But he has to go and search for her.

So he does, flying through the door as his anxiety spurs him on, always being a runner for the smugglers came in handy in times like these. And it’s that which has him darting down alley by alley, searching for her with his heart in his throat.
bar the door, please don't let them in

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
hear those bells ring deep in the soul
chiming away for a moment
She always knew that her death would be born of chaos and unluck. She was never meant to grow old, to live that far-off imagined life, to find her place in the world. She never really had it in her, did she?

But this won't be where her story ends, even if that's the truth. Since she arrived in Caido, she's been nothing more than a flash of life grasping for meaning in a place she exists not by her choice. Yet somehow she clings to that. In spite of the vengeful rage that sizzles through her veins and out through her limbs in one giant pulse of energy, she tries to hold on to everything she has left.

Miraculously, she pushes off through the dark; relenting to those animal instincts, letting them guide her to safety, praying - praying for the first time in her life with a raw genuity that hurts - for Safrin's mercy.

The red panda isn't a particularly special animal in most respects, inferior to most others in the animal kingdom, but all animals know where home is. And she doesn't know if she's out of the dark yet. She still feels the pain as if she's being struck by a thousand needles all at once. Her mind's been fractured by the storm waged upon it, and so her shift carries her through the alleyways as fast as its paws can go.

Beyond the tangle of smoke clouds and the roaring pain in her eardrums, Aurelia catches a glimpse of an achingly familiar person. Her head cranes as she pushes up from the shadows of an alley. It's Milo. No, but it can't be. What is he doing here? Her heart leaps into her throat and the shift falls away. She's suddenly overcome by something far more powerful than fear - and yet this emotion can't be contained by a single word.

"Milo..!?" Her voice rises through the alleyways, stricken by pain. Weak legs fumble against waves of agony as she tries to make her way toward him. "Milo!" There's a sudden blur in her vision, her vitality teetering on the edge. Her hands, marked by the electricity that tore across her flesh, reach out in desperation.
feel your breath course frankly below
see life as a worthy opponent
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He searches the alleys, bouncing between place and place, searching for her. And for the most part, the smuggler comes up short, frustration lingering within every bone of his body, until he hears her voice and it’s like a beacon of light breaking through his frantic clouds. He stops fast enough that he slips on the stone of Haulani’s streets, whirling to her and finding her pained and hurt and all sorts of awful terrible things. But she doesn’t quite look right, her face is different, but that voice? That voice he’d know anywhere.

Relia?” He asks, rushing over to her side, against the alley wall of Haulani, dropping to his knees along the stone and uncaring how it hurts and pains his legs to do so. He reaches for her, hands glowing already, beginning to work the process of healing her — at least enough that he can get her home. “What happened?” He asks in a breathless, panting whisper from all the running he’s done, his bronze gaze hard and worried as he scans that strange face of hers.

What the fuck happened? And part of him is still unsure that it even is Aurelia. All he can cling to is hope.

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
The pressure coming down is enough to make her knees buckle, falling against him with hands that shake to hold on. "Milo-" her voice is quieter now, words coming out in a trembly rush, "Milo, it's me-" She knows she looks different, but she can't explain that right now.

The strength of his healing won't be enough to right all the wrongs, they both know this, but it soothes her like a streak of light through the dark. It brings some amount of force back to her ragged, frayed heart. The seer along her skin cools as if it were a flame that's been put out. Her clothes can't be healed where they were singed by the lightning, shredded at the seams. Fresh scars lain across her skin like branches of a tree can't be healed either, but she doesn't feel their pain so vividly anymore.

Breathless, one of her hands reaches up to grasp around the collar of his shirt. For a fraction of a second, her expression softens and she's relieved. She's safe.

Panic climbs back into her very bones as she looks at him, though, and it isn't for herself. She tries to urge her muscles to move even if they scream in protest. "Milo, you shouldn't be here, it's not-" the words catch in her throat and she gasps to steady her breath, for she's been running too, "It's not safe- we have to go, now,"
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
Her voice roots him and he has to believe that it’s her, hurt and scarred and unable to walk as he reaches her and lets his hands run along her, healing as much as he can. The clothes were familiar, at the very least, even in the state that she's in. And so he tries to heal her with every ounce of his being until he realizes that they do need to go, they need to leave the streets, that they need to go home and lay low. He’s been there before.

I was lookin’ fer ya. Saw th’smoke ‘n I didn’t know where y’were.” He explains quickly, red brows furrowing together as he reaches for her, aiming to hopefully slip his hand under her legs and the other around her back so he can lift her. It isn’t too far from home and he thinks he can make it, cradling her close to his chest. “I gotcha now.” He tries to soothe her, even as he lifts her and tries to rush home, to a door left unlocked because he’d forgotten to lock it in his haste.

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
They have to go. It's a glaring, echoing fact in her mind. Like a cornered animal, she feels nothing but a need to escape, to flee into someplace where her pursuers will never find her. There's no rationale, no bitter edge sharpened toward vengeance of her own for being attacked.

She never wanted any of it. But what she did? That's what justice looks like, and it always will. It's not something conjured up by fairy tales, inspiring the honorable hero toward some happy fucking ending. Real justice burns and it doesn't have mercy for how that feels.

She nearly died to deliver it, though - no, until Milo found her she was as good as dead. But here he is, running through the smoke to find her, pulling her back from the brink. She looks up at him with shaking focus, trying to hold onto him, but her fingers slip.

"The Slagveld... was attacked," she tries to explain but each word is a labor all in its own, "I had to stop them. They're after me. Milo, go," that last part alights a panic in her tones that makes her teeth grit together. She doesn't want him to, but she isn't going to drag him down with her. But he's pulling her against his chest, and she tries to fight it but it's to no avail.

"No.." It's less of a word and more of a reluctant groan filled with dismay. Her hands squeeze around his arms to push him back so she can't possibly slow him down but, there's no strength in it. Even with his healing, her nerves are shot. He's got her now.

She gives in, has to, and as she does she can feel the heaviness bearing down on her like a blanket. Her eyelids sink, senses dulled by the pound of her heartbeat. It matches the rhythm of his steps as he carries her through the smoke. For several minutes, she blinks in and out of consciousness.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
She explains as best she can, but Milo doesn’t mind. It can wait until they’re safe, until he can lock the door to their home, until he can sequester her away in their room and continue to heal her until she doesn’t hurt anymore. His heart still feels lodged in his throat, though it’s easy to talk around thankfully. Even as she grows frantic and worried and fearful, trying to push him away with little to no energy. “I’m not goin’.” He says with a hint of demand in his tone, his gaze trying to link with hers as his arms tighten around her and he lifts her.

I’m with ya, ‘Relia.” Through the thick and thin. It’s what he agreed to when they’d gotten together, after all, despite her fears and worries. Milo said he’d be there and that’s exactly what he’s doing. Being there for her.

He holds her to his chest, taking shortcuts through the streets only he knows, until the door is upon them and he’s shouldering through it as she blinks in and out of consciousness. He readjusts her against his shoulder as he closes the door and locks it, and brings her to the couch where he can set her down, where he can run his glowing hands over her again to try and heal her. “Hey. Hey. Wake up babe.” He croons to her, running those hands over her skin to try and heal her injuries the best he can.

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Out of all of them, the bravest one she's come across tonight has to be Milo. He could take her words and run, leave her to the fire and smoke, to a pursuer she can't even see to be able to fight off. He should, Aurelia knows this. Yet he remains beside her, and for that she'll be eternally grateful.

The shortcuts he takes jumble together into an incoherent blur as she tries to fight the darkness of sleep, fearing that it will be the last time she opens her eyes. The smoke thins and vacantly she realizes they're home. The chaos of the world outside is muffled, things feel quieter. It's haunting. She can't sleep at a time like this. Wake up..

Wake up.

She jolts into fuller consciousness and cries out in agonized alarm. It's stifled as soon as she realizes where she is. It's Milo's healing touch she feels on her skin, not lightning through her bones; it's his soothing voice she hears, not the crackle of electricity.

"Milo.." her expression twists with all of her fractured emotions.

Her chest, which had begun to heave with the race of her heart, caves. She falls back into the couch for a moment. Catching her breath is still hard.

And it's only for a moment before suddenly she's jolting again and she swings herself upright. Her vision fogs with the motion but she doesn't care. One of her hands reaches to clasp around his wrist, shaking as adrenaline reignites her.

"Milo," her teeth grit together as she bites back everything except the need to ensure his safety, "I ca-can't- I shouldn't be here-" She can't, they must have been followed. And by who? She doesn't even know. That's the worst part. It could've been anyone.. "If they followed us-" She's been through enough to know better than to let her guard down. And now? Now that Milo's apart of it she can't let anything happen to him.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
He releases another held breath as she wakes up, as her voice reaches him, as he suddenly feels his heart lurching in his chest again. His hands continue to roam across her skin, trying to heal the pain away, even as she twists and turns, exhaustion flared with adrenaline in her attempts to try and get him to leave. She swings upright and Milo rises from the space he’s knelt on the floor beside the couch to try and keep her within the confines of the furniture, bronze eyes boring into hers.

They didn’ follow us, ‘Relia.” He says – of course he doesn’t know her assailant was invisible, but Milo’s pretty sure if they were followed, they wouldn’t wait for him to heal her up before they came in to finish the fight. “It’s gonna be a’ight. Promise. Jus’ lemme heal ya, okay?” He asks, a hint of a demand that ends in a plea.

Please. “I locked th’door, took a route home only I know. We’re gonna b’fine. Jus’ lay back down.” For emphasis, he tries to help her lay down again, the hands still glowing where they touch her, even as exhaustion begins to weigh heavily on his shoulders.

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Pain is strange in the way it goes beyond the physical, in the way that it isn't physical but mental. And that pain isn't so easy to heal away with hands that glow with warm light. Of course, she feels his power course through her veins, feels the way it winds through her. It lessens the weight, brings a sag to her tightened muscles. But her mind feels as if it's been flayed with burns that go deeper than skin.

Her gaze flickers between him and the places his hands seek for injury, unconvinced of their safety.

Yet the demand and promise in Milo's voice brings her back down to earth. Her heartbeat slows as she sinks back down, her breathing a reflection of this. "Okay... okay.." her eyes are still wide and wild but she has to trust him. He's all she has right now.

Her hands fight to reach for him, refusing to let go even if her fingers tremble to keep him. She doesn't let much distance form between them, or at least she doesn't want to. Her hands fumble to reach around him as the tension leaves her body in shudders. "Don't," she tells him as he continues his stream of healing, not wanting him to exhaust himself, "don't. I need you, Milo, don't-" her words nearly jumble together in their haste, tears pricking at her eyes. Her throat clenches. She speaks through it weakly, "I need you with me."

She closes her eyes tight as she chokes back her tears, or tries to anyway, seeking the comfort of his proximity.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
She sinks back down and Milo releases a huff of breath, a sigh of relief as she cooperates, even if she looks like a wild animal and it takes him a few moments longer to see through the difference in her appearance and the way she’s acting. If he’d had any doubts, this was certainly Aurelia, but something had happened – something not at the Slagveld, or maybe? He doesn’t know. First things first, though, he has to make sure she’s okay.

And at least now she’s cooperating.

Her hands find his and he stills, bronze eyes determined and perhaps a touch sad, before he’s pushing away his magic and his hands stop their minute glow. “Okay.” He tells her softly, kneeling back against the edge of the couch, leaning over her to wrap her in a hug, to tuck his face into the crook of her neck and breathes her in. “S’Gonna be okay.” He tells her, as well as himself, holding her tight.

Y’wanna sleep some? 'm not gonna go anywhere. Promise.” He asks gently, pulling away to press a kiss to her forehead, hands rising to try and brush her hair back, trying to get her to settle. He can keep watch.

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
He wraps her in his arms and she tucks herself in against him, her hands reaching up to clutch him to her as well. Her face presses in against his chest, breath clouding into his shirt, the wet of her tears soaking into it as well. She can smell smoke still clinging to its fibers. It's a harsh reminder of what's gone on.

He tells her it's going to be okay and she wants nothing more than for that to be true. The reality is that they can't be sure of that yet, but fatigue is an obstacle she can't make it through right now. Everything else will have to wait.

"There's... so much I need to tell you," she mumbles into him, shifting so that her mouth lifts over his shoulder, "but I'm so tired." Tired, nearly dead, nearly dead twice, and on top of it all this isn't over yet. Even if they weren't chased, this isn't over. There are things to be done.

But for now? For now.. she needs to regain her strength - or some of it, at least.

"Milo..." she wants to tell him before it happens, but as she gives in to her trauma-fueled exhaustion, her shift takes hold of her. A small red panda takes the place of the only form Milo knows her to have (and even that's unfamiliar to him).

Sinking low on her paws, her rounded ears fold down against her fur and she glances up at him with some hesitance. Slowly, shakily, she moves to crawl back into his arms and curl herself up in them.

Sleep doesn't come easily. She stays still for the most part, only moving when Milo does and nearly jumping out of her fur every time - as if each movement is a sign of something being wrong. Eventually her flanks will stop heaving and she'll lull into a shallow rest.

It's later in the morning that she rises once more, not having fully fallen asleep at any point. Especially when she realized that Milo had fallen asleep despite his best efforts (she knows this), she had remained awake, wide-eyed, never moving from his arms but looking around at every flicker of movement as if it might be a threat.

The initial panic of everything else has mostly faded away. She can process things more fully now, though she doesn't hardly know where to begin. So she stays in Milo's arms as her shift, thinking, until it occurs to her that she has to go and find Jack. To make sure that he's made it out alright. Perhaps he knows more than she does, too.

With this in mind, she gently picks her way down from Milo's lap and the couch. Turning back into herself, she gazes down at him, at the gentle contours of his face while he's at rest. She hates to interrupt it, especially because he must be so worried and tired, but she knows she has to tell him everything before she goes. And she hates that she has to do that, too.

So she kneels back down beside him and, with a touch that's featherlight so as to not scare him, she brushes her fingertips along one side of his face. Her brows furrow with concern.

"Hey..." she says softly, "wake up." She'll give him a moment to get his bearings, but she stays close, her hand not leaving his face. "It's okay," she tells him, before he might think otherwise. Reluctance twists at her features before she tells him, "I have to go," she swallows down the knot in her throat, "I have to find Jack. He was there, too. I think he made it out but... I've gotta make sure."
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
She’s suddenly changing from woman to… Something else, fuzzy and red and striped and small and it’s all he can do to stare at her – wondering how she’d managed to get it to happen. She was Abandoned, unless the task she’d had with Safrin had elevated her and the starry goddess had seen what Milo had always seen in Aurelia. All of her potential. But it’s still strange – this new face, this new shift, and if it weren’t for the voice of the woman on the couch and the reaction to him, he might think she’s a completely different woman, an illusion.

But he lets her climb all over him, settling where she chooses to, and the smuggler does his damnedest to try and stay awake, to keep watch. He makes it a few hours until the silence and the pitter pattering of sounds lull him away into a light sleep.

It’s a bit deeper than he anticipates, given that she slips from his arms and lap easily and Milo does nothing but hum quietly in his sleep, fingers twitching from fur where she had just been. But she runs her fingertips along the side of his cheek and Milo wakes with a surprising jolt, sucking down a breath before he looks and finds Aurelia in what appears to be slightly better spirits, cupping his face. “Mmnn… ‘kay?” His mind hasn’t caught up yet, until he notices the light that filters through and his eyes shoot to hers with an apology. “’m sorry, I tried t’stay awake…” He thought he had, until she’d woken him up.

But then she’s saying that she has to go and find Jack and Milo pauses to catch his breath, hands rising to cup her smoke stained ones, wrapping around her wrist to keep her tethered to him. “’fore ya go can y’tell me what… Happened? Before the Slagveld?” He asks. “Why y’look different ‘n yer Attuned now… And…” He’s still groggy and his thoughts don’t quite slip from him in the way he wishes they would.

It’d been a long night, after all.

MILO
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
He jolts awake and Aurelia jumps slightly in reaction, too, but she remains steadfast, kneeling beside him. She nods gently in understanding, knowing that he had tried to stay awake, knowing that the amount of healing he'd done had likely exhausted him too much. "It's okay," she murmurs, leaning down to rest her forehead against his for a moment. In the back of her mind, she knows this may feel strange for him, all these changes on top of all the panic and chaos. But she can't get past the relief of knowing that it's okay. At least, for now, in this quiet moment, things are okay again.

Pulling in a deeper breath, she leans her head back to look at him again, curling her knuckles into his palms as he holds her hands in his. "Safrin Attuned me," she answers, "after I completed her quest, I asked for it. I promised myself to her." Her still-green eyes darken at this fact, uncertain of what that means for her in the future - but willing to find out all the same. "I'm glad that I did. It was her shield that saved my life last night," she points out, swallowing hard.

"I... I still don't know what happened to me out in the Oerwoud. One moment everything was fine and the next..." she shakes her head, confusion pulling a deeper frown onto her face as she tries to ascertain what exactly had happened to her. She can't, not really. "But after, I looked different. There was something out there with me, I think it did this to me."

Her hands move to wrap around his, squeezing them gently, "I'm still me, though, Milo," and maybe that's the problem.

She pulls back more, hard lines forming along her face. "Last night... someone tried to burn down the Slagveld, and I... I stepped in. I had to. Sunjata's gone, Nate too..." and she lets the truth of it all spill out, "I killed their companion because I couldn't see them. I thought it would make them stop, I thought they would realize the mistake they were making," she looks down at their hands as she lets go. She proceeds to stand up, rising on legs that are still shaky, looking at him without quite looking at him, "They turned on me for that. They were Abandoned, I think. They used magic, they were invisible..."

She grits her teeth together hard, searching for the anger, for hatred and malice that she thinks must be there pounding furiously in her heart. But all she feels is a lingering hurt from a wound inflicted such a long time ago, and a need to protect what she has now. "I still can't figure out who it could've been or why they'd attack Torchline. But Jack might know more than me," her gaze finally shifts to take in Milo more fully now, to really see him there, and she only hopes that he understands. "I'm arbiter now, I have to.. I have to try."