and now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

He lingers in her space for a moment longer, capturing her berry sweet lips with a kiss that's more chaste than the situation calls for. When he leans away from her, he reaches up, cupping her cheek lightly. They shouldn't be doing this but he can't find the words to explain what he means. Because it's not that he doesn't want her. He wants her so badly he can feel it in his bones. But this isn't the time. Except, when will they ever get the time? He struggles between preparing for things and simply ignoring them and stealing what moments of calm he can.

Instead he takes a moment to look at the ocean, reflecting the orange red of the sunset. Another beat before he looks at her, biting his lip in a way that's all too clearly stolen from her. "You don't.. Gotta. We just talked about it.. It's fine." Still not what he wants to say but the words won't come. Plus, he's kind of over the mood already. The curse of an overly active mind that's only gotten worse with his new found sobriety. "Just kind of feeling.. Off." Yeah. That's what he means.

He pops a berry in his mouth like nothing is wrong. Because in reality the only thing that's wrong is something entirely out of his control and he's not sure what to do with it yet.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The moment is gone as quickly at it came. The fire that had been burning in his gaze as he looked at her peters out as he draws back from the kiss. Maeve is left confused, struggling to keep up with the emotional whiplash that has been this day, but she leans into his touch despite her confusion in an attempt to seek out some comfort. Her hand comes up to cover his for a moment, searching his hazel gaze for any hint as to what's going on here and finding no answers as he pulls away from her to look out at the ocean instead. A sting of rejection blooms in her chest and she wilts, shoulders slumping as she draws into herself, eyes shifting to the waves instead as she tries to sort out the tangle of emotions in her chest. Sure, they had just talked about not wanting to put on fronts for each other, but this wasn't a front. She wants him. Can't he see that?

Dark brows draw together as her eyes flick back to him, a small crease forming between them, "I wasn't doing that because I thought I had to. I wanted to." Wanted to forget about this world and its gods and conflicts and looming war that seemed closer every fucking day. Would there ever be a moment that wasn't plagued by the impending conflict? Would they ever have quiet moments on the beach that weren't ruined because of it? As much as Maeve wishes they could avoid it all, she knows that isn't true. A complicated truth that she would rather not acknowledge, but their days were numbered now. Maeve draws in a breath, wrapping her arms around the tops of her knees as her chin drops to rest against her forearm.

"Things are changing... I don't think we're going to be able to avoid it much longer." She murmurs, lips pressing into a thin line as she recalls Hotaru's words. The conversation that made it clear that Maeve wasn't made for the life that was going to find her. How could she survive if she couldn't fight? She didn't have magic or strength. Pert tits and a disarming smile could only get a girl so far. As far as Maeve knew, neither would do shit to keep her alive during a war.
I'm undone about to burst at my seams
'Cause I am picturing you beside me
So let me be everything that you need
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

He knows.

That doesn't make it any easier though. None of this is getting easier honestly. He'd done so well in avoiding it until suddenly he couldn't anymore and now it almost feels too late. What's he supposed to do against gods and their chosen? What side is the right? Or the wrong? Neither feels right honestly. At least from what he's heard. But who knows what's a lie and what's a truth.

"I know. I hate it too. I don't even know where to start." He knows he'll have to make a choice sooner or later. Locke has never been keen on betting on anyone other than himself. So picking a god to follow, a side, it's not really his thing though. Maeve, he thinks, has already picked a side. Safrin, Frey, she seems to be trying. "I can't shift like Sunjata. I don't have an army like Ronin. Fuck, I can't even use my hands properly right now.." The frustration is clear in his voice as he rolls onto his back, sitting up to look at her.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

If he felt hopeless it was pretty obvious how Maeve was feeling. She draws in a breath that's meant to soothe her, but it does nothing for the nerves swirling in her belly, turning the fruit that's resting there sour. "Me either if I'm being honest. I know Safrin gave me a quest and I'm trying, but maybe I asked for the wrong thing. How is this going to keep me safe?" Sure, Sunjata taught her some things and Locke could teach her more, but she wasn't a fighter. That was never her prerogative. It likely never would be. It was hard to picture herself on a battlefield and it was certainly the last place she ever wanted to be.

She lifts a hand, reaching over to rub his back gently, trying her best to soothe him, "Your hands will heal. You know how to fight some. You were training with weapons. You could keep doing that even though you aren't in the Dragoons. You aren't going to be helpless." Not like she was. Even though she wasn't really sure what they would be fighting. Each other? Ascended? The Voice? Nothing was clear and Maeve truly didn't want to fight anyone. How could they be her enemy? How was she meant to stand up against them? Maeve might have picked Safrin, but she wasn't going to fight if she could help it. She would be an aide, choosing to tend to and help those who needed it instead of causing harm.

"Have.. Have you thought about it? About going to a shrine and asking for something? A weapon or the ability to shift? Just because you seek out the old gods doesn't mean you agree with everything they want, Locke."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

She's not a fighter, that much is clear. He reaches over, prying a hand from where it's wrapped around her knee. He spreads her fingers out, splaying his hand against her's. So small and pale, soft and unmarred by the sins of the world. He hums softly. "You're not a fighter Mae.. But there's plenty of people who care about you. Plenty of powerful people. Maybe you did ask for the wrong thing but I think your heart was in the right place. And it might prove useful some day too."

He doesn't know how things will go and he can't begin to predict it either. All he can do is try to prepare. "Fighting in a war isn't the same as a bar brawl, Mae." Or maybe it will be. He wouldn't mind decking a god. Just to say he did. Not that he'd survive of course. It's a fun thought though.

Her suggestion makes him laugh in earnest, "And what do I have to offer a god, Maeve? I don't have anything." He has her but like hell would he offer up another person for his own power. Maybe in another life but not now. "But maybe I will, to see what they say. Maybe I'll end up with a kid like Seren or something." He shakes his head, pulling her hand toward him so he can kiss it.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There are still healing cuts on those knuckles, faint bruising marring the otherwise perfect skin, and she's self conscious for a moment as he examines her hand. Easily he covers hers with his own, hiding it away from the world and the fading sun, doing what he can in this moment to shield her with soft touches and sweet words. Maeve looks up at him from beneath her lashes, brows drawn together as a new surge of emotion wells up in her chest, "But how can I keep either of us safe with something like this? It doesn't matter if my heart was in the right place... It won't do shit when the war is banging down our door." She knows in the back of her mind that he's likely right. It will have its uses and it is still a good gift to be given by Safrin. Maeve should know better than to potentially limit herself just because she can't see the full realm of possibilities.

Her eyes drop and a breath pushes past her lips as she laces their fingers together, "I know it's not the same, but you at least have a basis. Somewhere to start." Maeve offers softly, bottom lip finding its way between her teeth in a habit that gives away just how anxious she is about this. His laugh startles her, eyes snapping up to him as a small frown forms on her lips, "Neither do I and yet Safrin wanted me. I'm not a fighter, Locke. You said it yourself. I'm a whore. That's what I do and yet Safrin still wanted me even though I felt like I had nothing to give her." There isn't any heat in her voice. Just a gentle honesty as she speaks her truth.

"It can't hurt to really ask... That's all I'm saying. You want to be able to defend yourself, right? Those you care about? There isn't anything wrong with asking for a bit of help to do so."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

"You'll be able to teleport or something, right? Can run supplied to people who need them. Can take people to safety maybe. I don't know how it works exactly but.. I can see how it'd be helpful." She's clearly been in her head about all of this and he hates that he can't help more. "And you killed, today. I  know it was just a goat but a goat isn't that different than a man. Not really." Maybe one day he'll meet a man who is as innocent as an animal. Probably not though.

He hums softly, trying to backpedal out of his own insecurity to comfort her's. "I don't think punching someone is the same but I can at least keep training. We both can. We can spar with each other, I'm sure Sunjata and Ronin would help too. If you asked." He likes  both men but he's not close with either of them, not really.

"You're not a whore. Not just a whore. You have lots to offer the gods. You have connections, charisma. I've just got myself and I don't know how willing I am to give that up.." Not for the gods, not even for her. But she's right. At some point, he's going to have to draw the line in the sand and he wants to be on the same side as her. Old gods then it seems.

"Who would I even go to? I'm not sure I'm Safrin's type."
It's like a bit of light
and a touch of dark
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

For not usually knowing what to say, Locke somehow manages to find the words she needs to hear right now and that budding anxiety in her chest is soothed for the time being. Maeve sighs softly, looking down at their entwined fingers as she muses over his suggestions, nodding after some time. "You're right... I guess I wasn't thinking of it like that. I don't know that I'll be able to bring people with me, but I can bring supplies and things like that." Just another way for her to provide aide and to be of use. That's what she asked for and that's what Safrin was giving her. Maeve just needs to be smart enough to use it. Maeve makes a soft sound in the back of her throat, seeing the blood that's no longer on her hands clearly in her mind, "I killed a goat and threw up afterwards. Not sure how I'll be able to handle killing a person."

Would she have to make herself cold? Ruthless and without empathy? Would she have to take the softest parts of herself and kill them too just to survive? The idea of that being her future makes her sick all over again. That isn't what she wants, but he's not wrong. She's capable of it. If she had to do it to save herself or him or anyone else for that matter, she would do it. Maeve manages a small nod, "Sunjata showed me a few things. Ronin offered to help before. They likely would help if I asked for it." Finally she meets his eyes again, swallowing thickly as she searches his gaze in an attempt to center herself. "And we can train together."

Maeve softens as she looks at him, adoration sparking in her sea glass gaze as she reaches up with her free hand, cupping his cheek, "You're brave and compassionate. You're good at taking care of people even when you say you aren't. That's something. Any of them would be lucky to have someone who is willing to run into a burning building to save people just because of their connection to someone he cares about." She murmurs, offering him a small smile as she leans into him, pressing a chaste kiss to his lips as her forehead rests against his for just a few seconds before she's drawing back once more.

"No... I'm not sure you are either." And if she's being completely honest, she would much rather he stay away from Safrin given the track record of men in her life who were involved with the goddess. "Perhaps Frey? There are two sides to them. Maybe the nature side would fit you more."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

He rolls onto his back, pushing himself up slightly to look at her. After a moment, he holds his hand out to her, before pulling her into his embrace. "We can't know yet, Mae. We can't have all the answers. All we can do is cover as many bases as we can.." He's mostly talking to her but maybe a little bit to himself. "And don't discount what you did. You were swift, had a steady hand, and waited until you could to react. That's more than most people can say. Plus, you committed. Safrin gave you a hard task and you saw it through. That means something." He doesn't know if he's helping but he's trying.

"Not brave, Mae, reckless." But he flushes under the praise none-the-less. It's not always easy to think nice thoughts about himself but she seems to do it for him. "Plus, I couldn't just leave them there.. Not that I did much." Again, the Voice. He knows it's because of Nate and not himself but still. He wishes he'd been outside when it happened.

"The nature side? What? Am I that bad at sex?" He clicks his tongue, shifting once again to find her gaze. There's a crooked grin plastered on his face, "Am curious why you think that though." He kind of gets it, maybe.
It's like a bit of light
and a touch of dark
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It only takes her a moment to fall into his arms, barely needing any coaxing to shift herself closer to him, dropping her head against his chest. Their food forgotten for the time being in favor of breathing in his scent, face pressing against his throat, "I know... I just want to be prepared and I don't know that I will be." Maeve murmurs softly, pressing a kiss to the skin of his throat as she tries her best to center herself, pushing away the anxiety that threatens to overwhelm her in this moment. "It's not that I don't think I did something big today... It wasn't easy, but I needed to do it." She exhales, drawing back slightly to look up at him, sea glass gaze searching his for some reassurance and finding exactly what she needs in the hazel that looks back at her.

"Reckless. Brave. They're tied together, mon amour." Maeve reaches up to cup his cheek, brushing her thumb across the skin there lightly, pressing their foreheads together for a moment. It doesn't matter to her if it was reckless or not. He was still brave to go inside and try to and go in to save her girls. Maeve was grateful for his recklessness. Even if he hadn't had to do much in the in. "I don't care if you didn't have to do much. You were willing to an that's what matters." It's easy for her to say this to him when she believed it in her heart.

A soft laugh bubbles up in her chest, the first one all day and it surprises her how bright the sound is, rising up to mix with the waves that crash against the shore. "No. You are absolutely not bad at sex. I'd say you're pretty fucking fantastic at it." Maeve huffs, shaking her head at him, nose wrinkling up as she leans into him. She considers her next words, brows drawing together for a moment, "Well... Whenever you're having a bad time you always come down to the beach. You're at ease here. Being in nature seems to be the place you're most comfortable." She tells him softly, expression soft and open, a small smile curling on her lips. "And you're perhaps a bit primitif... primal. I don't know. It just seems to fit."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

She crawls into his arms and he's glad she's as touch starved as he seems to be. All of this is hard, harder than he wants it to be, harder than either of them want it to be. But it's the life they live now. At least they've time to prepare. He wonders how many others are just there, unaware as he was. "That's what matters though, right? Being able to do something hard despite the fact that it's hard? Because it needs to be done?" He wonders what lesson she was supposed to take away from this but he's not Safrin nor is he Maeve. All he could do was help and maybe give her some path to walk down.

He laughs despite the mood because she's right. "Suppose so. Still, fucked my hands up. Who knows what kind of stupid shit I'm going to get in during a gods damned war. Might be fun though. At least make for a good story when it's all said and done. Gotta have something to tell the grandkids some day." Just pretend like there isn't a chance you'll die, that's all. Maybe if he ignores it, it won't happen, right? Yeah, that's how these things work.

"And to think everything we've done so far has been pretty vanilla. But hey, if that's what you're into.." Than so is he. He waits for her answer, hazel eyes tracing the lines of her face as she thinks. He likes to steal little moments like these, time when he can really look at her without her noticing, he hopes. Her answer makes his head tilt before he kind of shrugs, "Primal huh.. Interesting. I guess there's more to nature than pretty flowers.. And of course I like coming here. It's mine and I don't have to share it with anyone." He chose to share it with her but he didn't have to.

"And there's no people here.. So that helps.." But maybe she's right.
It's like a bit of light
and a touch of dark
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve curls up in his lap, drawing herself tightly into his embrace, head resting against his shoulder as she presses her face into his neck. It feels safer here in his arms. Warm and secure. Maeve knows that there is plenty of things in this world that could hurt her, but they don't feel as threatening when she's in his embrace. She offers him a small nod in response, drawing in a slow breath, "I think so. I think she wanted me to realize I was capable of it if I needed to be." Maeve muses softly, shifting in his embrace to draw her attention to the waves that lap at the shore, white foamy bubbles covering the sand with each new crest of water.

It would be easier if she could joke and wasn't scared shitless. They could die. Both of them. There was so much to lose and she's not sure how neutral they'll be able to stay. Maeve manages a small laugh just for him, shaking her head as she gives him a gentle squeeze, "You'll have to try your best to stay out of trouble. I'm sure plenty will find us without going to look for it." She huffs, wrinkling her nose as she draws back to look up at him, finding his golden gaze easily.

"Not all of it has been vanilla." Maeve rolls her eyes at him, giving his shoulder a playful little shove, not really noticing the way he looks her over. It isn't until she falls quiet that she picks up on the way his eyes trail over her features before he's shrugging at her answer. "There is way more to nature than just pretty flowers. It's just something to consider. I think it would be fitting."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

Her weight in his lap is all he ever really wanted in life. He sighs softly, burying his face into her shoulder in return. Soft lavender mixes with the salty ocean smell and it tangles itself up in his brain in a way he'll never be able to explain. All of this talk, of war, of gods, of dying, makes him want to find somewhere safe and just hide, just the two of them. He knows he's not the only one in her heart but he thinks they'd be okay, just the two of them. "Yeah. Think so too." As much as he wants to steer the conversation away from all of this, they have to talk it out, for themselves and for each other.

"Mae, you know me. I am trouble." A little laugh as he presses a kiss into the side of her neck. No more sad. He doesn't want it anymore. Plus, he's not sure what to say anymore. He feels like things are moving too quickly between them but the ever looming death threat makes him second guess any waiting he's planning on. It's a fine line to walk.

"Jus' sayin.." He laughs at her shove, grabbing her wrist to press a kiss to it. "I guess you're right. And it doesn't hurt to just try right? Worst they'll do it tell me I have pretty nipples in a condescending way, right?" Speaking of nipples, it's absolutely not the right time but he pokes her nipple anyway because he can and it's vaguely relevant to the conversation. "Do you think the nature side of Frey would want sex? Or do you think they're just out there sniffin' flowers?"
It's like a bit of light
and a touch of dark
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There is little more that she could want right now that the embrace of the man holding her in his arms. Despite the conversation, she finds herself relaxing in a way that she only seems to manage with him, snuggling close as the sound of waves soothe them both. "You definitely are. Only ever seem to find myself in trouble with you." Not true, but she can tease him just a little. If only because he's so quick to tease her. The little kiss he presses against her throat makes her shiver, drawing goosebumps to her skin as she tilts her head to the side just enough to expose more of her throat to him even though he doesn't take advantage of it.

Maeve can't help giggling along with him as he laughs, seizing her wrist in his grasp, pressing a kiss to the skin that covers the fluttering of her pulse. "It doesn't hurt at all. They could turn you away or ask you to prove yourself or any number of things. I think they'll listen to you though." She offers, ignoring his nipple comment until he's poking at hers and she slaps his hand away, glaring at him with narrowed eyes. "Oi! Leave those be, thank you!" Maeve huffs, growling at him playfully before she's considering his question, head cocking to the side. "I don't think that side of them is very sexual. I believe they're far more reserve from what Phoebe said."