who still believes in kings?
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
'cause not everything means something, honey
so say the unsayable, say the most human things
"I'd assume so," she answers with an arch of her brow. Unhelpfully, she's not sure what he's getting at. The billow of smoke clouds out around her and she lets out a puff of breath to cast it away. The point of arrest feels moot when she wasn't strong enough to subdue the arsonists, but if she were? Then maybe they'd have a different story on their hands. "Sunjata will have to take over on this one, though." She has no agenda here, not for revenge or a fight. She'd like to have justice, prefer to make sure this shitstorm of a situation doesn't happen again. But she also has a distinct suspicion that the person whose companion she killed has revenge at the forefront of their mind.

She takes another drag of her cigarette as he.. basically dismisses her words, her attempt to scratch at his surface. It's all she's ever tried to do. Whatever. She knew it would end up the same way no matter what she said there. That's why she's glad she said it.

It's not that she's so stubborn or prideful that she won't cheer to that... insulting toast, it's that something else is bothering her. Something that's been bothering her since she came here. Now that the important shit's out of the way, she has to ask.

Leaning forward, watching as he takes her glass (because, no, she's still not drinking), she places her arms on the desk and eyes him neutrally. "Jack. How did you know who I was?" No way he would've helped her otherwise. "I haven't seen you since I... changed. You couldn't have known." But he did.
if everything is temporary
I will bear the unbearable
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK

"I was just wonderin' if I could watch is all. Not every day that you get to see some burly fuckin' Torcher get his ass hauled in jail by a... by you." He wasn't going to say a woman, for the record. He was going to say a waif and a stray, but he supposes that isn't really true anymore. "I reckon he'll be more'n happy to take this one on, in fairness," he mumbles, finishing off his drink and taking a drag of his cigarette, before she's refusing his toast and he's well on his way to getting very merry all by himself.

"You tryin' to get me drunk?" He smirks, like it's Aurelia's fault that this is happening and it's not entirely Jack's choices and decisions. But meh, it seems she's got a whole beehive in her bonnet today, dragging the conversation back towards the serious, poking her fingers into places they really shouldn't be if she doesn't want them bitten off.

"I don't know how much I gotta tell you the same thing," he mumbles around his cigarette. "But if you must know, you ain't the only one playing around in the Oerwoud at any one time." As if to punctuate his absolute lie point, Seven comes to mrrrrow at her and wind around her legs, having been snoozing under the desk.

"Aurelia," she chimes, clear as day.
romancing yourself is possible, narcissistic
and recommended
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia's brow arches and she wonders just how much all this drink is going straight to his head. (It's a good thing she can't read his mind, and who knows how many times that'll be true of their relationship, because that stings, Jack. Ouch.) "It's not all about size and strength, you know," she replies coolly, "and anyway, not every crime is deserving of a night in jail. But, if someone were to resist arrest, then... more extreme measures can be taken, and you know I'm fully capable of that, at least." It's true - for all the ways Aurelia can be impulsive or reckless, at least she isn't afraid to take some fucking action.

She snorts in response to his comment, almost rolling her eyes as she sips another drag from her cigarette. With a grimace, she stamps it out in the ash tray and leans in to ask him a very serious question.

His answer is so ready and casual and it irks something akin to suspicion within her, but she can't tell that it's a lie. Not really, and what would she be accusing him of otherwise? Spying? She shrugs, and she might've let him have this one except for what happens next. It's when she feels the press of his companion against her legs that Aurelia startles a bit, and her name being said makes her eyes widen.

But it doesn't match the voice from the Wilds, and that wouldn't make any fucking sense anyway, and for that her initial shock and horror is replaced with more of that growing suspicion. How did they know? The question is glaring now, and Aurelia gives him an unsettled look. "There's something you're not telling me, Jack," she says, though her words are more careful than accusatory. She leans back in her seat, moving out of his space. "Haven't I proven that you can trust me? I haven't kept anything from you, not intentionally. If you're spying on me... I don't get it, you could just ask and I'd tell you whatever you wanted to know."
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK

"Torchliners? Resistin' arrest? Don't sound very likely to me," Jack drawls, his smile sharp around his glass as he finishes her drink and sets the glass back down. A bit, is the answer to her question, not that Jack will ever admit it or show it beyond what's already slipping through. Still, it could all go so well were it not for the way she's suddenly probing into something that, in Jack's opinion at least, is none of her damned business. Spying? If only it could be that intentional.

Still, she shoves it further over the line with questions that, were it any other person, would be very reasonable and would very much lead to some bullshit bonding and secret sharing, he has no doubt. But Jack is not any other person, and he has not gotten this far by spilling the beans at every available opportunity. "You can go now, Arbiter," he says softly.
romancing yourself is possible, narcissistic
and recommended
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Her gaze is hard and unflinching as she stares across at Jack. To her it feels less like crossing a line and more like getting to the bottom of something. His answer isn't really an answer but a request, for her to go. It's at that moment that her eyes avert, blinking down at the desk but not really looking at it.

Her jaw rolls for a moment, almost as if she might say somthing. Maybe he is just another person among many that she can't trust. Whatever it is he's keeping from her, part of her almost doesn't give a fuck anymore. What would it matter, anyway? Part of her wants to laugh in the face of this tremendously shitty turn of events. Part of her wishes she could go back, do things different.

Most of her is tired of feeling like this, so... maybe she won't anymore. Something has to give. There's got to be a point where she stops apologizing for what she is or the choices she's made.

Though she wishes she could conjure up something to say, she just... can't.  The only thing to follow his words is the sound of her making her leave. She moves up from her seat with thinly-veiled anger, moving almost as if she's rushed. The chair nearly topples over in her wake, teetering for a moment as she turns her back to him.

fin.