into the woods
For Seren <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

It wasn't that Maeve was just forgiving, but there was an understanding that this wasn't really anyone's fault. She could have not run. She could have stood her ground for a little longer and realized that it was just her friend. That wasn't what happened, of course. Maeve had panicked and bolted because the idea of fighting something was too much for her. She drew back from the embrace, grimacing at the small smear of blood that she left behind on her skin. "Bandages and some antiseptic salve. Red leather pouch just in the main part of the bag." Maeve told her, watching as she took the bag from her before the starchild was faltering.

It hadn't really clicked for her. That this little creature in her lap was now bonded to her soul. Maeve blinked, looking down at the dragon that was sitting curled in her lap, head swiveling back and forth between Maeve and Seren. "Is this how it happens?" Maeve asked, a quiet laugh suddenly bubbling up in her chest as she cocked her head to the side, the little dragon trilling and blowing a bit of smoke up at the Madame. The happiness that she felt blooming in her chest wasn't just hers and her smile grew.

Not to be left out, Umbra came crashing through the canopy, raining leaves and twigs down onto them before he was bounding over to them, warbling and trilling at the dragon in her lap. He lifted his head, no bigger than the tip of Umbra's snout, grunting out a greeting as he wiggled in the Madame's lap.
But I don't like a gold rush, gold rush
I don't like slow motion double vision in rose blush
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Seren

Rummaging through the bag för the listed items, Seren found what she needed and settled in next to Maeve to begin cleaning off her injured hands. She tried to be both thorough and careful, but had little idea of what she was actually doing. At least her hands were gentle, and she kept talking to distract away from any discomfort.

"Not sure if it's always like this, but it often seems to be the case. A creature in need latches on to another, for mutual benefit." Smiling down at Umbra as her own dragon hooked his head over Maeve's knee to snuffle at the younger hatchling, she turned curious blue eyes upon the newcomer. "What are you going to call it? Umbra already had a name... but maybe this one does not?"

Once the cuts and scrapes had been cleaned, Seren reached for a roll of bandage. "What are you doing out here, anyway?"
It's written in the stars above
Exactly who we are is just enough
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Seren was incredibly gentle as she handled Maeve's hands and that counted for something. Even with her inexperience the younger girl didn't cause the Madame any more discomfort than she was already feeling. "Be sure to pull any stray thorns from my palms. They could cause an infection if left behind." She instructed softly, eyes flicking between her hands and the small dragon in her lap, a smile curling on her lips as the heavy weight of Umbra's head settled on her knee. The dragon in her lap strained its neck out, sniffing at the larger dragon curiously until finally bumping his snout against Umbra's in greeting, releasing a sound that was something like a purr. Maeve hummed in consideration, head cocking to the side as she tried to sort that out herself, tentatively sending the question along the bond.

The dragon paused in its interaction with Umbra, looking up at Maeve with orange eyes that seemed to glow like dying embers in a fireplace, head tilting to the side. "I- I don't think he has one? How did Umbra tell you of his name?" She asked, shifting her attention back to her friend as she continued to focus on that newly formed attachment that tugged in her chest occasionally. There was a feeling of concern that teased at the edges of her subconsciousness and she knew it was coming from him, worry for his newly bonded trickling along that tether that held them together. "Aidoneus... Aidon for short. I read the name in a book. He was the king of the Underworld in another place far from here. It means the unseen one."

A soft huff pushed past her lips at Seren's question, "I'd come to the Artist's Sanctuary to have a portrait done and thought that perhaps I could do some exploring while I was here." Maeve started, holding still as Seren began to tenderly bandage up her hands. "I was mostly hoping to find some herbs and such to grow back in my garden at home. I've been doing research on the medicinal properties of plants. What are you doing here?"
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren

Seren was careful; any thorns or specks of dirt were carefully removed from the scrapes before cleaned. Maeve's hands felt small and soft compared to her own hands, where callouses had begun to form from weapon practice and writing, climbing and sharp dragon claws. It felt peculiar to handle someone else's limbs like this, even in the act of wrapping gauze, and the young woman couldn't decide if it was a good or bad sensation.

"He showed me," she answered, eyes on what she was doing and a soft frown of concentration pulling her brows into stern lines. "When we first bonded... I looked into his eyes and saw myself, looking at him, looking at me... It became a loop of layers - I don't know if I can even describe it. But there was a sensation, of blue shadows overlapping until they could grow no darker. Umbra is just the word for it."

Glancing up at the black dragon, she took in his dark scales and the glowing amber eyes. He seemed sweet tempered, more quiet so far than Umbra ever had been. Seren smiled; "Guess we'll see if he lives up to that name," she murmured.

Making a knot as best she could, she reached for Maeve's other hand and listened as she began to bandage that one too. "I see. Mmh, my mother gave me a new quest. I need to gather some ingredients for it, and dirt from the Hollowed Ground is one of them." Looking up at her friend, she smiled ruefully. "I don't think I'm really supposed to be here. That's why I didn't answer your letter just yet... I sort of hoped you would return to Torchline first."
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It hasn't been until recently that Maeve found herself in need of so much doctoring. First the mess with the Halenani, the cuts from fighting, and now this. Each time being tended on with gentle hands and intense focus. It spread a warmth through her chest that she wasn't expecting, but it isn't unwelcome. Instead she basked in it, sinking into that feeling as if it would buoy her through the discomfort as Seren plucked thorns and dirt from the raw skin of her palms. The starchild's hands were somehow rougher than she was expecting due to the callouses she was collecting from her hard work, vaguely reminding her of other hands that have slid across her skin, but they don't evoke the same feeling.

Maeve listened silently, eyes flicking between the woman's hands as they tended to her and the look of concertation on her face, head cocking to the side curiously, "Interesting... I suppose the bond feels different for everyone when they first connect." She murmured, worry surging in her chest that perhaps she had done something wrong. Maybe they weren't truly bonded. As if sensing her distress, Aidon turned away from Umbra, cooing and trilling as he strained to get closer to her. With a gentleness she wasn't expecting, the dragon placed his front feet against her chest, using the extra leverage to press his nose into the side of her cheek in a kind of a kiss. The bond flaring with a love and reassurance that almost left her breathless.

With her now free hand, Maeve placed it lightly against the beast's back, rubbing the spot between his wings with the pad of her fingers as Seren began to bandage her second hand. A smirk curled on her lips, eyes shining as she met her friend's gaze, a dark brow arching, "Are you telling me that you're breaking rules right now? My my my… I'm surprised at you, little star. Didn't think you had it in you." She teased, tossing her a playful wink as her smirk split into a grin. "Let me help you. I'm sure between the two of us we can manage to get a little bit of dirt."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Seren flashed her friend a grin and looked up from where she had been tying off the last piece of bandage. "Well, it's technically not a rule," she said a bit defensively. "Mother did send me to collect the dirt. But dad would worry if he knew, so..." She held a finger to her lips in a shushing gesture, laughter dancing in blue eyes all the while.

Once done with the bandaging, she packed the items back into Maeve's back, and brushed off her palms on the legs of her trousers. She had a business-like look to her, dressed in Dragoon uniform with the hair tied back in a braid. That the shirt was unbottoned a bit too far and the boots were unlaced, the strings wrapped a few laps around her ankles did not seem to bother her.

Reaching into her pocket space, Seren produced a small wooden box with a lid. The ground beneath her feet was given a dubious look; was that dirt enough? Or did her mother mean a specific kind of dirt...? She was not sure.
"Good. Once I have the dirt, I need to find the Glade... you don't happen to know where that is, do you?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve huffed out a laugh, rolling her eyes at the younger girl, "Your secret is safe with me." The Madame reassured her, crossing her heart with her finger once Seren finally finished tying off the other bandage. She made to stand as Seren did, dusting off her own trousers, ridding herself off the dirt she managed to collect on the seat of her pants. Aidon moved to perch on her shoulder, small enough to balance there without issue, curiosity buzzing along the bond as he wondered what exactly they were up to.

With a slight grimace, Maeve tested her weight on her injured ankle, hissing softly at the spark of pain that raced up her leg. That was going to pose a bit of an issue. They'd just have to move a bit slowly. "The Glade is near the Spire, I believe. I have a map in my pack." She dug around inside, producing a crisply folded bit of paper, offering it to the other girl before slinging her bag back over her shoulder. It took a moment to adjust the straps to sit comfortably, but she got it after a bit of fidgeting.

Straightening herself up, Maeve offered her arm to the starchild, mostly for her own sake than anything else. It would be easier to walk with a bit of extra support. "I think we could get the dirt from the band around the main section of the Grounds. Then go to the Glade. What do you think?"
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Nodding in acceptance of the promise, Seren stood. She watched with a slight frown how Maeve wouldn't take weight on one leg, but refrained from comment for the time being. As the map was produced, she looked over it with interest, her gaze darting between landmarks as if to memorize it. She wouldn't; while her memory was good, it was not that good.

"Hm, yes. Sounds good to me. Did you need herbs, by the way? We can gather them along the way, if you want. I am in no hurry." And it would give them an excuse to move slowly, for Maeve's sake. Then the raven-haired girl suddenly grinned, a little sheepish.

"Actually... hang on. Let's have a look at your leg, too." Putting her hands together with a quick glance up towards the sky, she summoned a star-wolf - the same as before? or perhaps some twin; they looked identical - and waited for it to manifest. Once it did, she directed it towards her friend. Shimmering with starlight, faint in the brilliance of the day, it gave the Madame a cold star-fire stare and padded over. Lowering its nose to her ankle, it huffed out a breath both hot and cold; healing, or at least easing the discomfort at a basic level.

"I have a new trick," Seren explained with a mischievous smile. "It's so new I forget that I have it."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The map was taken and Maeve watched with thinly veiled delight as Seren drank in the information that was presented to her. The starchild trying to take in everything at once and surely failing to commit it all to memory. Not that it mattered. The map wasn't going to disappear after she looked at it. That much was for sure. "I wouldn't mind collecting some. I've been trying to refill my stores. I lost majority of it during the monsoon." It would mean they travelled at a slower pace, but neither of the girls seemed overly concerned with that considering they didn't have an exact deadline. Locke wasn't expecting her until tomorrow.

It wasn't surprising to see her friend do this, having witnessed the gift a few times before and so she stood still, bracing herself against Seren's side as the wolf nosed at her ankle. There was a tingling sensation that washed through the joint, making her shiver before releasing a breath of relief, slowly putting more weight on her foot. It wasn't fully healed, but she would at least be able to travel for the day.

"That's a nifty little trick. I take it you asked your Mother for the ability to heal then?" Maeve turned her seaglass gaze to the other girl, smiling softly as she started to walk, pace still slow.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Content with the result, Seren fell in beside Maeve, her dragon and wolf trailing behind in their wake. As backup, should anything else lurk in the woods around them.
"I didn't, really," she corrected, with a bemused expression. "But perhaps she heard me anyway, or it's simply the natural progression of the gift. Either way, I am not about to question it." If the blessing evolved at a steady pace the more she made use of it, perhaps she would be able to cure more than scrapes soon. Seren was grateful, and more than grateful; she was beginning to see a path for her to walk, where she could live up to her mother's expectations - and her own.

"Oh? You should talk to a woman I met in Torchline, then. Ray; she is a herbalist. I'm sure she can help you restock. She offered to teach me to mend wounds, too... I think I want to study more medicine in general." There was careful consideration behind it; a soldier with healing abilities could do more than slaughter enemies. If she could keep her friends and allies alive, and bolster their strengths... It would be a worthwhile skill to hone.

"But anyway; how have you been, since last? Any good news, for once?" Seren looked around them as they walked, keeping an eye out for critters as well as herbs. Snakes and hanging vines would be among the least offensive creatures they could come across here, if the rumors were true.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I see. I didn't realize that things could work like that. How wonderful, though. I know you wanted to be able to help more with something like that." Maeve murmurs softly, glancing over at her friend with a gentle smile. This was a big step for Seren. She was coming into her abilities and Maeve couldn't be happier for her friend. The little star was growing brighter by the day.

The name sounded familiar to the Madame, causing her brows to pinch together and lips to purse as she tried to place the name, "Ray... I think I've met her before. I'm pretty sure we helped to prep the Hanged Man together before the monsoons came in." Maeve finally settled on, nodding as if to confirm it for herself, eyes drifting along the forest floor for anything that might be of interest to her craft. A hum rose in her throat, bobbing her head in a nod, "You should do it. Not just because it would be helpful, but it's good knowledge to have in general. Like I said in my letter, you shouldn't limit yourself to just one thing. Learn all that you can. Especially if people are willing to teach you."

It was a loaded question. One that gave Maeve pause as she grew silent, trying to sort out just how she'd been doing. Silence settled between them for a few minutes, the Madame chewing on her bottom lip as she considered how to answer the younger girl. "Things could be worse, I suppose. Things are still tense in Torchline. The progress on the Halenani is slow. I grow more concerned about the war with each passing day." She sighed heavily, tightening her grip on Seren's arm as their pace slowed a bit more. "I heard from Hotaru. She sent me a letter with the finished pendants... She said she missed me. I wrote back to her but I don't think she read it. I'm fairly certain she's going to cut me completely from her life. I think she already has..."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

"Yes, I couldn't be happier!" It was a dream she had carried since she was little, from the moment a kind stranger repaired a bruised knee. The event had left such a deep impression on her, and now she could finally return the kindness, if she ever met the person again. It tied perfectly in with everything else she was doing as well, and Maeve's encouragement had her nodding and beaming. "Stormbreak is a good place to learn," she noted. "There are so many talented people there, who are willing to share what they know. They have a whole college, did you know? Maybe when the war is over, I can study there properly." Right now, Seren had a feeling there would be no time for proper study. Field medicine was what she strived for, and perhaps she could ask her mother for even better ways to prevent people form getting hurt in the first place.

As the topic turned away from herself and to Maeve, the tense silence put a damper on her cheer and before the Madame responded, a line of worry had appeared between her brows. The concern about the war was one they both shared - everyone with any sense would be worried. That the building project was slow might perhaps be a bit natural, considering the season - everyone was busy and the weather did not lend itself to hard labor in the middle of the day.

Then Hotaru was brought up, and Seren thought she could see what it was that really weighed on her friend. Sucking her on teeth, the starchild weighed whether she should say anything, but eventually she reached up and slung her arm around Maeve's shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Maeve. That can't be easy. I actually met Hotaru a few days ago. When I was in Halo. She told me about some of the things she was going through... most in confidence, so I hope you forgive me for not re-telling all of it. But I do know that she has been tasked with a difficult quest by the gods. I don't know what it is about, but she thought it might be very dangerous."

Squeezing the other woman closer in what she hoped was a reassuring way, Seren went on.

"Why don't you give it some time, and then go visit her directly? If she has cut you off, it is only because she wants to protect you, from whatever this mission is. In this case... won't you please let her do that? Just this once."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"You should attend once the war is done. As much as we might wish for it not to come, it is going to come. While some might think it naïve to make plans for after it's passing, you need something to look forward to." Maeve told her, giving her arm a light squeeze as they meandered through the woods, letting their feet carry them towards their overall destination. She didn't bother paying too much attention, caught up in her own thoughts and feelings as it were.

The confession stung more than Maeve wished to acknowledge. Though she shouldn't be surprised. Part of her was soothed to know that Seren had spoken to Hotaru. That she had been able to potentially provide some comfort for the woman even if she was jealous that she couldn't have done it herself. Maeve swallowed thickly, dropping her gaze to the forest floor as her eyes suddenly pricked with tears, a tightness growing in her best. "I know why she ended things with me, Seren. I know it was to keep me safe. She didn't want to drag me down with her. She said she wanted to keep from turning my hands into tools for murder." Hotaru had told her many things on that beach where they shared their last moments together. Their last kiss. A dying bloom that never truly got to take root. Easily pulled from the ground before it could grow too deep.

"I may be selfish, but I won't deny her this wish... There are too many complications and I'm not in the business of being cruel." Maeve reached up to wipe a stay tear from her cheek roughly, hating herself for crying over something that never truly was, a bitter taste settling across her tongue.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

She hated to see her friend so upset. While Seren was glad that the two women had talked, it was painful to be unable to mend this rift. Created on purpose, no less. She couldn't help but feel that Hotaru was being too harsh on herself, even if she sympathized with the desire to protect. To shelter, and tuck away a treasure beyond harm's reach. Given what little she had learned of the woman's history, it was understandable why she would go to such extremes.

"You should keep writing to her," she murmured, and kept her eyes on the path ahead to give Maeve space. "Even if she doesn't reply, I'm sure she will read your letters. I... think she needs them, Maeve. As a reminder that she's not as alone as she thinks." There were other reasons too, but they were not for the starchild to divulge.

Swallowing everything she knew about what went on in Hotaru's life, she picked up the pace a bit more; they had a ways to go, and Seren wanted to complete her task before sunset, at least.