into the woods
For Seren <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

A bitter laugh rises in her throat, choking her at the last second as it catches there, unable to escape in more than just a strangled sound. Aidon made a sound that almost mimicked that of his bonded, pressing closer to her in an attempt to comfort the Madame as she tried her best to reign in the emotion coursing through her, not wanting to overwhelm the little creature. "I might as well write letters addressed to the fire, Seren. She won't read them. She told me as much herself when she last saw me." It was pointless to try and convince herself otherwise. A desperate plea that would fall on deaf ears. There was nothing to be done for it, but she knew that she likely would anyway. A cruel act to place upon herself, knowing no letters would come back from the former queen who was hidden away in Halo, awaiting whatever fate was sure to find her.

Maeve let the girl pick up the pace, falling silent as the last of her tears dried in streaks on her cheeks, leaves rustling beneath their boots as they walked. She wasn't the one with the deadline to keep, but she knew it would be best if they finished this little outing before nightfall.
But I don't like a gold rush, gold rush
I don't like slow motion double vision in rose blush
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Seren

There was nothing Seren could say to that, and so she fell silent. After squeezing her friend's shoulders a final time, she let go, accepting that she had no other offers to give. Pained by Maeve's pain, with a lump in her throat that could not be swallowed down. This was the time where she should break the mood by turning the conversation to something else - more cheerful, optimistic and hopeful - but she did not. It felt... disrespectful, somehow, as if changing the topic would reject the weight of her friend's suffering.

Fortunately, the going soon became more difficult, and focus had to be put on where they went. Climbing longs and pressing through thickets of thorny bushes was excuse enough not to talk, and Seren took the lead, occasionally resorting to using her sword as a tool for hacking away brambles.

When the woodlands finally thinned, the young Dragoon became more wary as she went, and Umbra spread his wings to scout ahead from a higher vantage point.
"Do people come out here often?" she asked, finally breaking the quiet while she paused in a thicket. The area right ahead was bright with sun, and appeared deserted - and barren. The soil dead and dry, void of life.
It's written in the stars above
Exactly who we are is just enough
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

There were moments throughout the walk that the tears would start afresh, spilling down her cheeks and catching in her lashes, dripping onto her shirt in fat drops that soaked into the fabric. The quiet of the woods occasionally broken by sniffles and the soft warble from Aidon as he tried his best to offer the Madame comfort. Maeve was grateful for the company of her friend, letting their fingers tangle for a time as they walk, simply taking comfort in her being by her side as she was tossed on the waves of her own emotion. Many times feeling as if she was going to be dragged under just to be buoyed by a gentle nudge of reassurance from Aidon.

Soon she released her grip on the starchild, having to focus on the path as it grew more treacherous, knowing a wrong step could lead to injury. They both managed, finally breaking into a clearing, but coming to a halt as Umbra went ahead to scout for them. Maeve paused by Seren, shaking her head in acknowledgement, "This is where the barrier used to be. The magnetic field has ruined this area and most tend to avoid it." There were tumbleweeds of various sizes littering the barren wasteland that laid before them, shifting every now and again with a stray breeze.
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren

Listening to the explanation, Seren hummed her acknowledgement and turned her gaze back on the barren wasteland. The swath cut through surrounding vegetation was made all the starker by the lack of re-growth, and she had to wonder if it would ever heal. What kind of forces could kill the very soil?

But she was not here to merely stare at it. With a determined cast to her mouth, she hauled the wooden box from a pocket and slipped out from the shelter of the trees. Umbra had seen nothing untoward, and with Maeve's reassuring words to bolster her courage, the girl stepped onto the ruined soil. She didn't go far. Only a few steps in, she knelt and scooped up a handful of dirt, deposited it into the container and popped the box into her pocket space. Hastily getting back up on her feet, she all but fled back to her friend, shuddering as she patted the soil from her hands.

"I don't like that at all," she grimaced upon returning. "I have never felt something so dead before. Even volcano ash has more life to it than this. Let's get out of here; I'd rather not linger."

It left the Glade as her next destination, and a very dangerous flower to collect. But a look at Maeve made the soft frown return to Seren's brows, and she reached out a hand to touch the young woman's face. "Are you sure you are up for this?" she asked, concerned. "What I need to gather is a bit dangerous. More than the Tumbleweed, but in a different sense. You don't have to come with me."

They would need sharp senses and a focus on the moment; and the Madame appeared very caught up in her grief. Now might not be the best time for her to chase danger.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve stood quietly as Seren took in the expanse before them. Dust kicking up from the dirt to float through the air before finding a resting place once more. The only life that remained here was that of the Tumbleweeds and Maeve wasn't sure if they even were alive. "Just move quickly. Umbra will cover and you don't need to go far. I'll be right here." The Madame reassured her, giving her a wane but encouraging smile as she headed out only a short distance away. Seren made quick work of her task and was soon coming back to her.

"Some say that's what Ascended feel like. Lifeless, but I don't think it's true. Whatever happened here is a tragedy. Maybe one day we'll learn how to heal it." Maeve wasn't so sure they ever would, but stranger things have happened.

The gentle touch to her cheek drew a shuddering breath from her, eyes closing for a moment as she allowed herself to lean into the palm of her friend's hand, uncaring if she seemed weak in this moment. Red rimmed eyes open to look at her and she steeled her expression, straightening up with a roll of her shoulders, lips pressing into a thin line. "I said I would go with you and I'm not changing my mind now. What do we have to get?" Maeve tried her best to bottle up the ache in her chest, relying on her ability to shut herself down, to make it through this. Seren needed her and she wasn't going to let her down. Not now, not ever.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

It was not weakness to her eyes, but a sign of trust. Stepping in closer, Seren wrapped her arms around Maeve and pulled her into a tight hug.
"It's going to be alright, love," she whispered, soothing words for her friend's ears only. "Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but one day it will."

Holding on for a long while, Seren pulled back and held the other woman by the shoulders. Her expression was uncharacteristically grave, no trace of a smile in her eyes. It made her look older, the child a long way away.

"If you want to come, I will not stop you. But you need to do exactly as I say, okay? I'm going to collect a Gilded Lily. I'm sure you understand how serious it can be if something goes wrong." Seren stared straight into Maeve's eyes, to make sure that she understood. This was not going to be easy, not was it going to be fun and games. Someone could die, their hearts stopped in an entranced sleep... unless steps and measures were taken. She had a plan, but whether it worked was still to be seen.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The carefully patched dam almost broke all over again as Seren's arms wrap tightly around her, the whispered term of endearment exhaled against her ear, and the gentle words of reassurance that things would be okay. How has she ever lived without this before? A friend so dear to her heart it felt like an extension of herself? Maeve squeezed her tightly, drawing in a sharp breath, trying her absolute best to center herself. She needed to be here for Seren in this task. There would be time to break apart later, but right now the starchild needed her. "You called me love... Think that's the first time you've used a term of endearment for me."

It's a quiet realization, but one that managed to soothe her in a way she wasn't expecting, a salve for her heart to keep it from aching so much for the time being. Maeve was grateful for it. She drew back once more, hands resting lightly at Seren's waist as she focused on her, a seriousness settling on her features. Seren looked older like this and it gave the Madame a glance into how she may appear in the future. Sure and confident in herself and her abilities. Maeve just hoped she never lost her childlike wonder. That would be a crime.

A nod was given in response, "I've read about them." She confirmed softly, knowing just how difficult it was to harvest them safely and that to do so required great care. While Maeve wasn't familiar with that plant itself, she did know how to tend to poisonus plants like it and she hoped that knowledge would be helpful. "We'll want light so we can properly see. We should get going."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

The comment made Seren blink, and she had to think for a bit. Was Maeve right? Was this really the first time? She was sure she must have, at some point... but perhaps not. A smile returned, quick as lightning and twice as bright.
"Really? Well it would be terrible of me to say something that wasn't true. So I think it's better this way."

Once she had made sure that all the stakes were plain and out on the table, and Maeve still seemed determined to follow her, Seren nodded and pulled back. Keeping the woman's hand in hers, she recalled the direction of the Glade from where they were and set off towards where the last ingredient of her quest waited.

"Thank you, Maeve. It really means a lot to have you along," Seren told her as they walked, skirting along the edges of the Woodlands where there was shelter but not so much that the progress became slow. "With you here, I can't become reckless... and there's someone to help if I do mess up." Not that she planned to, but there were always risks involved. With this plant in particular.

But she didn't want to dwell on the subject too much right now, and turned the conversation on Maeve instead. "How goes your own quest?" she asked, curious. Theirs were of similar natures; to travel swiftly, to ignore the rules of spacetime and go wherever they pleased. Where they were needed, and wanted.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It's barely even a thought in her head to lean forward and press a kiss to the other woman's cheek. Nothing more than a sweet little peck to demonstrate how much it means for her to say. The idea that she is just as important to Seren as Seren is to her spreads warmly in her chest, lifting her spirits, and bolstering her. This girl was one of the most important people in her life and it had nothing to do with who her parents were or what she was capable of. It was all to do with the heart of the younger woman. Her compassion, empathy, and starry eyed love she held for the world.

"I do too." Maeve agreed softly, meaning the words as the pushed past her lips, managing a smile that wasn't tinged with grief. They parted, growing serious and focused on their quest even as their fingers twined together, interlacing and locking them to each other as they walked, keeping them both centered in what needed to be done. "No need to thank me, Seren. You offered to help me when we first met having barely known me. I don't think I ever told you how much meeting you helped." The starchild had been a spot of light in the darkness that hung over the Madame's head, guiding her from the thick gloom that seemed to cloud her, bringing her to the edge of a new start that Maeve wasn't even aware of. Safrin would be proud. She knew it.

A gentle squeeze was given to Seren's hand, thumb brushing across her knuckles lightly, "We'll get this done as safely as possible. I won't let anything happen to you." Maeve told her, conviction lacing through her words as she shifted her seaglass gaze up to her for a moment before focusing back on the path they were taking. Aidon jumped from her shoulders, switching between bounding and gliding along side them, calling out occasionally to Umbra.

Maeve hummed softly, "I'm close to being done. I have one more lesson to finish. I think that I'll be able to see her soon. I'm excited. I hope that I've made her happy." She was eager to see the goddess again. Even with everything that had happened around her and the little involvement she had. She wanted to tell her about Seren too. How much her daughter meant to her as a friend. "Maybe we can find something for me to bring to her while we're out."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

The gesture surprised the starchild. Wide eyed, she touched fingertips to the cheek, and tried - failing spectacularly - not to grin like a fool. It was different to show affection to people she did not count as family, but not unpleasant. Or even half as awkward as she would have imagined. Her chest was suddenly overflowing with warmth, and it was all she could do to contain the very strong urge to skip alongside Maeve.

"I'm sure you will," she said, thinking of her mother. "You've been fairly quick about it, yes? I don't know that it really matters, but at least it shows that you take her help seriously. I would appreciate that, if I was the one giving out quests." Would she ever end up in a situation where it was she who handed out tasks and expected swift returns? Seren didn't know. Safrin's words on what hopes she held for her daughter had somehow implied that it might be a possibility, and in all honesty the notion made her stomach flutter slightly. It might not be a bad feeling, at all.

"What kind of thing are you thinking about?" Pretty flowers perhaps, or...? Seren couldn't think of anything else of beauty that might delight her mother.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"She gave it to me right before the monsoons hit. I was limited due to the storms, but I worked on it as I was able to." Maeve thought that Safrin would understand. She knew that Torchline hadn't been protected and she likely knew how badly it suffered. Still, the Madame worried that she might be upset that it took her so long to complete the task. Maeve pursed her lips in thought, letting their joined hands swing idly as they walked, "Last time I took her many different things. My mother's mirror, tarts, flowers... I didn't know what she might like and I wanted to bring her something special." She told her softly, a faint flush rising on her cheeks, remembering how nervous she had been.

Slender shoulders rose in a small shrug, "I thought of making her a special tea blend. Seems a bit silly... Not likely she drinks tea. It's just something I like to do; making tea that reminds me of certain feelings." What would the goddess do with tea leaves? She had no idea, but maybe it was the thought that counted?
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Seren rather enjoyed the mind game of trying to figure out what her mother might like in terms of presents. It gave them something to talk about as they walked, if nothing else, and it also reminded her that she had promised her parent a gift.

"A tea sounds lovely," she admitted, and smiled at her friend. "I don't know that it really matters what it is, as long as it has some sentiment behind it. Though she does like her shinies. Have you seen the dresses she wears?" Safrin's wardrobe was one place Seren would not mind getting lost in. Not that she was the type to fill up those kinds of gowns; and her wistful sign spoke volumes of a nature child's longing for elegance.

"I think I might make her a potpurry," she mused, and looked around for flowers. "They smell nice too, and you can keep a bit of the season. What do you think?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I don't think it does either. I honestly don't know if she even paid any mind to the things I brought her last time. It happened so quickly. Although, I do believe she had one of the tarts. They were Blushberry." Maeve mused softly, head tilting to the side in consideration, causing a stray curl to slip from behind her ear. The fact that Seren thought her idea was a good one made her a bit more sure, reassured that Safrin would appreciate whatever it was she brought. "Her dresses are exquisite. I wish I had something like that to wear. Can you even imagine?" Seren likely had more of a chance at that than she did. Safrin was her mother and the goddess would likely let her play in her wardrobe if the starchild truly wished. The realization that she never had such an experience herself weighed on her for a brief moment, dimming her smile slightly, tugging on her heart.

How lucky Seren was to have a mother who loved her more than all the stars in the sky. She wasn't jealous. The Madame couldn't help wondering if her own mother had felt anything for her. Surely if she had she would have taken her with her, right? Shaking the thought away, Maeve turned her attention back to Seren, "I think she would like that. I can help you dry them properly and even extract some of the oils. Do you think she would like a perfume? I know how to make it."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

"I can. You would look great in them, I think." Seren was a touch jealous, but in the best of ways. Maeve had a glamour and elegance to her that the starchild might never achieve, even if she were to strive for it. But her interest had never really been for fashion and forgery, or polishing the outward appearance. It was the heart that mattered to her, and what place did polished nails, powder and perfume have there?

Speaking of... "I think she would love perfume," Safrin's daughter smiled, eagerly encouraging Maeve's suggestions. "She always smells of summer rain and lilacs... I think of her everytime I catch those scents." A nostalgic smile touched her lips, longing as always lingering in her gaze whenever her mother came up.

"Sometimes..." she began - but cut herself off, biting the tongue to keep from saying it out loud. "No, never mind."