[Open] to see what it means to be free
Open thread
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
You know I still like you the most
The best of the best
"Yes, years." Sam confirmed, holding back a laugh at her surprise. "But you must keep in mind a lot of those years were before the Voice had appeared to us at all. Since she's been more readily available, I've seen her much more often." Honestly, he'd be surprised if it took Mabel more than twice to see their Goddess. The Voice wanted her new family members to take to their roles, and feeling welcomed was a part of that.

All he could do was nod sympathetically about her parents. The Old Gods were not kind.

Sam could feel Mabel's tension, her anger; it wasn't that he didn't understand, but his nature had always been to dampen his own sparks down, to filter everything down to it's least offensive self. "...If I'm needed, though I'm not particularly good at it. I'm hoping to help in a more...supportive way. Help with the healing, the housing, the planning, that sort of thing. If it comes to it though, yes. I will fight."
and the worst of the worst
You'll always be my favorite ghost
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
Come sit right here and sleep while I slip poison in your ear
Mabel didn’t know what to say or consider at Samuel’s propensity for patience. “Maybe I will try again soon then,” came on a quiet sort of response, as if giving in – uncertain about what she’d proclaim to the Voice other than her loud quest for vengeance, or her desire for power. Perhaps that’d be enough. Perhaps it would be something for anyone to clench their fists and fingers around.

Her flinty eyes, narrowed in their demonic, eldritch beacons, shifted back over to Sam. Mabel couldn’t imagine not fighting, but she couldn’t fathom her capacities in the ways he’d thought and mulled over in participating. She just knew she wasn’t ready. “We’ll need those too,” she muffled around her knees, the anger dissipating and gone, sinking back into her veins, in between fluid and bone and nothing at all. “Do you know how to fight?” Pondering, wondering, just what the older Ascended would even have up his sleeve.
MABEL
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The best of the best
Sam nodded, not pushing any further; he knew that the feeling of rejection that came from being ignored at a Shrine was not easily put aside and Mabel would have to come to terms with it herself, if she did; it wasn't something he could give her. All he had was advice and promises he hoped would be true, especially as the war loomed; it seemed to him that the smart thing for the Voice to do would be to answer as many of her children as she could.

But the Voice's and his ideas often didn't align.

"Yes. We will need everyone's strengths. Their side will have all of it too. If we just fight, we'll be exhausted before we've even begun." They had to be smart about this. In a way, Sam was actually glad about that; he wasn't sure in a straight forward show of force that the Ascended had much of a chance against the Old Gods. "I...can fend for myself, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not fantastic at it. I've trained a few times, but it's just not in my nature."
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Mabel had only ever just fought; an enduring little heathen crawling through the earth and emerging from the bracken sea. She wanted to argue that they could outlast them all – no pain, no need for rest, no need for sustenance, other than what the Voice gave them. A thought curtailed through her mind, as restless as it was, pouring the semblances over the crackling, ebbing flow of the fire. “What about allies? Do we have enough?” To bite? To be supplied with magic and shifts and everything in between?

As far as Sam’s abilities in the onslaught department, her eerie eyes slanted toward him again. An offer was almost on her tongue, to train him with daggers, even when she was a relative novice herself, until he mentioned it wasn’t in his nature. Instead, Mabel bit down on those remnants and went down other paths. “Do you know what else needs to be done?”
MABEL
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
Allies...an odd notion, one that seemed to shift and change by the season when it came to the Ascended. He thought he'd had allies once in Remi, in Ronin, in countless other friends and leaders that when the time had come, had chosen the Old Gods and their 'morals' over the people they had known. "I believe that Torchline is governed by people that will, for the most part, stay on our side. A lot of Ascended live there."

As for anyone else? All he could do was speculate. "Abandoned are natural allies of the Ascended, because we've both been cast aside by the Old Gods, but it's not a certainty."

Sam felt he knew absolutely nothing about what they had to do next and could only laugh when the question was turned on him. "Absolutely not. That's a question for the Voice."
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
Mabel felt too tied down to her roots, to the tethers and lines of this world to ever truly embark, move, and maneuver into Torchline. She’d tried, once, to assist, and wound up dead for her efforts, with a fear of water, of the basking sea, of the rising tides. Its endless sun seemed a stretch of deterrent for her too; accompanied either by the shadow of the parasol or the darkness of an evening. But if there were others who’d managed to break free, to find themselves settled into the dominion, and safe, maybe that was all that mattered. “Why do you say ‘for the most part’?” Sunjata and Nate had both been kind to her – even at her dumbest.

Abandoned being natural allies made sense; save for the ones who’d already tied themselves to the Old Gods – bowing their heads to individuals who’d once ostracized them. The contradictions almost made her sneer – but she left the snarl behind her teeth and tongue, where it rested in some unholy malice.

The laugh didn’t leave any room for confidence either – and the eerie set of her stare focused back on Samuel, and then to the fire. Questions for the Voice. They’d have so many that it would all pile up; overwhelm. “Okay.” Maybe it was something she could ask too; for herself, for people around her, for whatever the hell was going to happen next. “If you need help with anything, let me know.” She could at least try to provide some aid while she wandered around with her daggers in hand.
MABEL
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
"Mmm...well. I don't know everyone in Torchline, but I've heard the Order likes to prowl around there for recruits sometimes. But I think in general it's good to assume at least some people everywhere might be our enemies. It might be paranoid ,but.." Sam shrugged, not really having anything to counter that. "I think it's good to be cautious with everything coming up. Especially with what happened to your sister." Lest history repeat itself.

He could see his amused response to her question had left her anxious, but what else was there to say? No one knew what there was to do. "Thank you. I think your help is better given to Wessex, though; she's the more organised one among us and the one with the most conversations with the Voice." Their leader, of a sort, or at least the closest thing they had.

"I'm going to stay here for a while longer and watch the fire." Sam leaned back, smiling at her. "You're welcome to stay if you wish. But I won't be offended if you don't want to stay and watch my family heirlooms burn any longer."
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
“Oh,” she mumbled, rubbing her hands against her knees, a nervous, apprehensive maneuver beginning to form in the pockets of her soul. “There was a man who came to Torchline. Shouted about how awful the Ascended were.” She made no mention of her own involvement; of hastening and throwing rocks, of joining the crowd in their feral wakes, unimpressed with the words hastened. “He disappeared.” Her palms made a motion like a poof. “But I see what you mean.” She, amongst so many others, could’ve easily been churned straight into retaliation; violence against her.

Asking Wessex to see where everything would fit, where she could assist, was a better start than nothing at all. And she’d take what she could get for a moment – rising from the stony, rocky ground at his hints. “I will leave you to your heirlooms,” and her eyes glanced over to watch one more crack. “Thank you for the discussion.”

And then she slipped out, gone, gone, gone, into the evening.

{FIN <3}
MABEL