[SE][Open] Dont Feed the Plants
OPEN SE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel
So if you're lost along the way
And if you're thinking that will always be the case
Nikolai took to his improvised weapon with gusto; Sam yelled in companionable pumpkin-smashing joy as they took to ruining the gourd's revenge. As much as they may have been sentient, Sam had to admit he enjoyed crushing the vegetables; it was effective stress relief.

"Don't we all." He agreed, using the broom to sweep away a large wave of the gourds and then slamming down the head on them once they were lined up. A satisfying splash of orange innards spelt the end of this particular surge of the gourds and Sam pulled up his broom, leaning on it again and using the side of his shoe to push the worst of the mess towards the wall.

Looking to Nikolai, after a pause, he asked: "Sorry, um, that was distracting. You were saying?"
You'll make a sucker's prayer
Just go and leave it that-a-way
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Nikolai
We are only haunted by the things we refuse to accept
-Bridgett Devoue
As the wave of gourds began to diminish, Nikolai wiped the guts off of the poker. At Sam's question he glanced up. "Uh....what were we....Oh!" He snapped his fingers. "We were talking about the Atheneum and the Relics."

Nikolai eyed Sam curiously. "Do you think that there might be anything in the Athenem we could use? I think I also asked if you knew of any other ancient collections of books that might help. Beyond what we have in the Atheneum that is." It was a long shot, but maybe the older Ascended knew of something. Even if it was just a rumor or legend, it'd be worth investigating given the circumstances. They had a countdown after all, may as well start immediately.
Resilience is born even when we feel like we are dying
-Alex Elle
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel
Sam watched Nikolai wipe the guts off of the poker with a grim satisfaction; were they the innards of any other living being he would obviously be horrified, but the gourds got little sympathy from him. "Oh, right." He looked back up, catching Nikolai's eye once he'd swept the area for any more oncoming gourds.

"I..know there's something called 'Safrin's library', somewhere, but Ascended aren't allowed in. Beyond that..." All he could do was shrug. "There are plenty of ancient books in the Atheneum, and any of them might contain something useful." Not the most helpful answer, he knew, but even Sam who knew the place well had not been able to read and sort every book in the expansive halls of the Atheneum.

Putting the broom back against the wall, he gave a helpless shrug and a smile. "Your best bet is to probably ask the Voice for help, at least at first."
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai nodded, giving a small shrug as well. "I assumed as much. Guess I'll just have to keep combing through the books there for now. If there's anything about these relics in there, I assume it'll be in the oldest books." It would be tedious, eye-straining work. But if it revealed something of use that could protect his family, it'd be worthy it.

Sam's suggestion of vising the Voice had the young Ascended perking up. "Do you think she'd be willing to meet with me for something like that? To ask her about the location of books in the Atheneum sounds a bit like a waste of her time." Nikolai mused before an idea occurred. "But I guess that I could also ask her about an ocular upgrade then, something to aid me in my search." That kind of request would be less of a waste of their Goddess' time in his opinion.
-Alex Elle
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
"Most likely. A little advice: a lot of the shelves have had newer books placed in front of old scrolls because they look nicer. Some of the attendants in the past thought that aesthetics were more important than historical value." It was clear from the dismissive tone of voice that Sam did not share this opinion. "Be sure to always look to the back of the shelf. You'll be surprised what you can find."

Nikolai, like a lot of the newer Ascended, seemed to be surprise that Sam would even suggest going to the Voice; it was odd, when Sam himself had been to their mother many a time for the most trifling matters. "Absolutely go and speak to her. She might have other ideas, but regardless, I'm sure she'd like to see you. The Voice is always glad to see us." Unless you'd betrayed her and left for a year, but...that was another matter.

He nodded encouragingly as Nikolai reasoned himself into the visit. "Yes. I think you should."
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai absorbed the advice instantly. "Good to know. Thank you." It truly was absurd that the attendants would choose appearance over value. And even fi they were concerned about aesthetics, what better aesthetic was there then rows upon rows of ancient and mysterious looking books? It made zero sense to the young Ascended, and he just chalked it to the attendants having inhaled too much dust or something.

Sam's insistence and confidence in a visit to the Voice was surprising. It was true that like most new Ascended, Nikolai was a bit wary of approaching. He didn't want to waste the Goddesses' time or annoy her.  So it felt odd to go for something that wasn't life or death. But if Sam was so sure, Nikolai would make the trip.

Giving Sam a nod, Nikolai handed back the poker. "I'll start preparing to go later this season. Any tips? I haven't gone since my Ascension a few months ago. Besides for fluid that is.
-Alex Elle
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Sam nodded; he'd once been new to the Atheneum and it's secrets too. His mentor, now long gone, had taught him to always look beneath the first layer, behind the first stack. The best secrets were the ones that you had to work a little for.

He took the poker and leaned around the door to put it back in the shop, smiling a little to himself; it was good to hear he'd convinced one of the younger Ascended to see the Voice. Their hesitance was hard to understand, as he'd gone to see their mother for a whole myriad of reasons over the years, even when he had not been in her good graces. Why had she not spoken to them as she rose them from their graves or made them new, he wondered?

"Just be respectful and tell the truth. She'll know if you lie." It really was that simple. The Voice was more knowing and powerful than any of them; there was no point trying to do anything sneaky with her. "I would advise you go as soon as you can." Because who knew what the next day would bring?

With the gourds now gone (at least for the moment) and Nikolai prepared to investigate and pray, Sam felt he'd done his duty out in the street. With a smile he bid Nikolai good luck for the shrine visit and goodbye - he suspected this would not be the last time they met.

{FIN}