i kept my promise, dont keep your distance [OPEN]
Open council thread - for halo residents
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN
Accountability was at the heart of who she was as a Warden, and Morgan would not hide away from her people. She had not let them be kidnapped, but if they chose willingly to go, that was something else. She was ready to hear their criticisms, their thoughts. If they hated her, well, she would hear it.

The morning after her re-introduction as their Warden, she opened the Council Hall for discussions. The chairs were set in a circle, that small detail important; she would not sit over them but with them. Yes, she was their Warden, but they had the decisions to make. She had run away those that would have taken the choice from them.

Once some had gathered, enough to talk to, she would look to each. "Thank you for coming. I am sure you are all full of many questions. I do not have much to say that I did not already say yesterday*." It would be understandable if those words had not landed though, spoken hurried as they had been. "This meeting is to be sure we all agree, or at least can compromise, on what we want Halo to be. I would have any new leadership be your choice, not forced upon you. I returned to my post as I had been elected - if that decision changes, I will accept it."

===
She's referring to: https://cotf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=5969&pid=107275#pid107275
There will come a time, you'll see
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
liars and lovers combine tonight, we're gonna make a scene
Neron has nothing to add when it comes to Morgan's place as Warden. It's true that of all the Halovians present, he had not actually elected her - but he would not see another take her place, either. So his presence at the meeting is one of moral support, which explains his decision to seat himself beside the Glacier. Dressed in his customary black (there are bandages still lurking underneath, but one wouldn't know it to look at him), Neron sits upright and silent as she speaks.

But he does shift to sit a little closer, once she is finished. They relationship is no secret any longer, and he doesn't intend on making it seem that way. His proximity to Morgan is intentional - his trust in her absolute. And if the rest of Halo would still send her away, he will be right behind her.
Neron
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
AINO

Grim faced and only of half a mind to attend this farce at all, Aino had nonetheless showed up to listen to the most recent of Halo's conquerors. She'd heard the speech on the square - or some of it, at least, because she had been too busy ensuring that the citizens were actually safe to stand around and listen to speeches - and Morgan seemed to pick up more or less directly from where she had left off.

"You say that you don't want our leaders forced on us, eh? When last I looked, no one spoke up against Warden's Kaito and Olson staying on their post. You wouldn't know, of course, because you had already stepped down from your seat and left. Then you come back, with a bunch of trigger-happy Ascended on your heels, and proclaim neutrality. The reek of hypocrisy is thick here, Warden."

Aino had not taken a seat, but stood leaned against a wall with her arms folded across the chest. The displeasure on her face was the same as when she had faced Noah and Hotaru not so very long ago, and just like then, she didn't hesitate to speak her mind.

"If you mean anything about what you said on Halo's neutrality - reinstate Noah Olson as Warden. Have him lead alongside you - since you're so friendly with the Voice's followers, you shouldn't mind having an Attuned as co-leader." Balance, and all that crap. Though frankly, Aino couldn't say she was happy even with her own suggestion.
Come and conquer, drop your bombs
Cross my borders and kill the calm
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
The first to speak was a woman Morgan did not recognise by name; she turned to face her and listened with gentle nods, not dismissing her complaints or anger. This was a difficult time, with difficult consequences and decisions - not everyone would be happy with her actions. When it seemed that Aino had finished, Morgan spoke again.

"An Attuned or Accepted co-Warden is a wonderful idea, actually. Someone to guarantee the balance I want to keep." It wouldn't be Noah, not after all he had said and how quickly he'd unhesitatingly shoved a knife into her back, but someone else willing for the job. "As for...Wardens Kaito and Olson. They were not chosen by you. They came here with an agenda; to weaponize the Citadel for the Old Gods. They forcefully removed me from my post and were willing to kill to achieve their means." She wasn't a fool. Had she objected, had she argued, she had known what the barrier on the door meant.

"That is not how a government is run. I was chosen by the people to my position and they were not. Moreover, they wanted to clear the Citadel of Ascended. The Ascended are our citizens, just like you and I - we cannot have leaders that would discriminate by race as to who can live here." Morgan shook her head; the thought was deeply troubling, did not mesh with the image she had of Halo, a place of opportunity and respect. "I freely admit that I am not free of sins or biases. However, I would not forcibly push the Citadel into one side or the other in the war. The Ascended helped me recover my position, yes; that does not mean that the Citadel is now a 'Ascended' city."

It was baffling to her how many people seemed to struggle with that idea; that a place could remain neutral, could welcome both sides. "I do not approve of extremists. I wish I had known prior to this mess that so many were within my council. If these people had correctly aired their beliefs and been accepted, it would be a different measure, but threatening an elected leader and pushing an Old Gods agenda cannot be allowed. Halo cannot be bullied into the war."

Would that do anything to help? She had no idea; Morgan looked to Aino to see what she would say.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
AINO

Morgan was good at talking, Aino would give her that much. Much of the rhetoric was in accordance to her own beliefs, but a finger tapping restlessly against her upper arm suggested that some thing still did not rhyme well with what had actually occurred lately.

"What bothers me in all of this is not so much the policies of either government," Aino expressed, "but how you each decided to deal with threat. You, Warden, first left your position in the face of personal danger, only to reclaim it by force - endangering the citizens of the Citadel in the process, might I add. The Hailstorm was deposed for doing the same thing, I doubt I have to remind you of that." She threw a quick glance at Neron, expression neutral even though her gaze was chilly. "Your opponents forfeited their positions in order to safeguard the people, and endangered only themselves in their takeover. If one were to look strictly upon the welfare of the citizens of Halo, you have shown far less concern for your people than they have."

Pausing for a moment to go over Morgan's arguments again, Aino reflected over how willing the woman seemed to take in another leader. From what she could tell, the desire for fairness and her intent on letting the people decide their own path seemed genuine.

"It's true that Halo chose you as Warden once. Would you be willing to put that to the test a second time?" Smiling faintly, an expression that painted dimples into her cheeks and made her look charming despite the glint of steel in her eyes, Aino made a shrugging gesture with her shoulders. "The world has changed since you first took your seat as Warden. People have changed too. War is on our doorstep, whether we wish for it or not. Neutrality is a beautiful dream and I have no love for any god, spirit or otherwise, but I highly doubt it's a stance we can take in the long run, not without being torn apart utterly. You don't want the people of Halo to be forcibly pushed into war - neither do I. But have you or the others ever bothered to ask Halo what it wants? All of us?"

Gazing straight at Morgan, Aino let her hands fall to her sides and staightened up, straightbacked and confident like the soldier she had always been. "Here is my suggestion for Halo's leadership going forward. Call back everyone who has fled, everyone who has been exiled, everyone who wishes to call Halo their home going forward. Step aside from your claim to the name of Warden, and let's have a new election. Let anyone who would lead step forward and speak, and let the people of Halo make their choice on who to rally behind. Let us choose our own fate, and put an end to this bickering over chairs and titles. People will believe what they will and there is no changing that, but we have always been able to work together as a cohesive people in the past. I would see differences set aside and this debate over leadership solved.

"Deepfrost is still coming, regardless of who sits in that chair; we really have more immediate things to worry about."
The greenhouse and the weather barrier did not mean hunters or foragers could stop working, or that preparations for Longnight could be set aside.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
The assessment of personal and greater risk Aino gave was not entirely accurate to how Morgan remembered the events, but she did not interrupt her as she spoke. When she was finished, Morgan quietly held up a hand and added: "That is not entirely true. They threatened our Ascended citizens, which are still as much a part of Halo as the rest of us. I also did not know if they would injure just myself, or more people. As for the tower..." She sighed; that damn tower from the Palace was going to be a headache. "I did not sanction that attack and I do regret that it happened, but as far as I know no one was harmed."

She thought had already said she was willing to go through another election; regardless she nodded, though she did hesitate at the idea of allowing those who had tried to overthrow her come back to try their hand at it. "I am entirely willing, in fact I encourage, another election for a Warden. However, I would caution you that the situation at hand is not quite as simple as you make it out to be." If this whole thing was only about personal politics and hurt feelings, she would have left it be.

"I do not know if I can willingly invite people into our Citadel who tried to forcibly take over, who were not afraid to kill me if I refused, for the purpose of imposing the superiority of their Gods and presumably, working towards their victory in the war. These kind of tyrants are dangerous. They are duplicitous, they are violent and they are zealots for their deities. Still..." Taking in a deep breath, Morgan pressed a hand to her brow. "If we hold this election and the decision is made for me to leave - perhaps a simple vote on that matter first, so I can be out of the way as you make your decision, should you want me gone - then obviously, the people may choose whoever they wish. Is that a satisfactory answer?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Aino's expression did not change; she had voiced her objections on being forced into the war herself, and felt no particular way about Ascended, whether citizens or not. Her eyelid did twitch upon hearing that the destruction of the tower had been unsactioned however. She had thought...

"Did you not already invite people aligned to a certain god yourself?" she asked, voice turning softer with a quiet anger. "Ones who apparently did not hesitate to damage a city not their own. Why did they come - because you asked them nicely? Or because of their own agenda? Morgan, you speak of neutrality but if you don't invite all sides to the table to speak, it will never truly happen. There are fanatics on all sides, and right now to outside eyes you already appear to have chosen one for yourself. Whether it is true or not."

The tired gesture did not get past Aino's sharp eyes, and they softened ever so slightly, out of empathy for the difficult position, if not out of sympathy.

"An election to determine whether Halo wants you to stay as Warden? Yes, that would be acceptable. A satisfactory start. Of course, only citizens of this nation would have a right to vote." She paused, gazing thoughtfully at the woman. "Why would your removal as Warden mean you had to leave, though? You are a citizen just like the rest of us. Just because your political agenda might be in question doesn't mean you are no longer wanted - or needed - here. That couldn't be further from the truth."

For the second time Aino gestured at Neron, as if to prove a point. He had been voted down, yet remained. Still a part of Halo. Unforgiven perhaps, certainly not forgotten, but there to contribute just like the rest of them.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
"The Ascended were the allies available to help me in taking back the Citadel from those that stole it away. My work with them does not mean my heart lies with the Voice. I invite anyone here to speak, but not those that would rip a democratically elected leader out of her seat for a God's cause. Surely that is reasonable?" Morgan was, admittedly, becoming a little exhausted of repeating this. Maybe she was wrong, somewhere misunderstanding the whole thing, yet to her it seemed so obvious: she had been voted, they had not. They had begun by trying to force something on the people, she was giving them back the choice. The freedom to believe what they wanted.

Thankfully it seemed like Aino was happy with the idea of an election...but her question after made Morgan laugh quietly. "If my replacements are to be Hotaru or Noah, neither of them will want me to stay. They will not want anyone to stay that is not entirely behind the Old Gods. This is what I mean - you will be voting for a society of zealots. One that casts out those of different mind. If that's what you want..."

She looked up at her council hall, her people, the hard and misunderstanding eyes. Gods, she still loved them. Morgan would always love Halo, even as it threw itself into the abyss. "..Then you will have it."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3