drop the dagger and lather the blood on your hands
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

Any night that works turns out to be exactly that. There’s no fanfare, no preceding letter to warn of his coming, Nate had simply slipped away with a ’Just need to take of something tonight, I’ll be back by dawn.’ and a kiss, and he slips out of the portal into the freezing night of Halo with just as much subtlety.

Pemota drifts around him, a glittering asteroid caught in his gravity while suspicious blue eyes glance around, looking for any sign of life, Neron or otherwise. Nate shifts his shoulders under his coat, the borrowed garment not quite broad enough for him.

With no immediate sign of anything, Nate starts walking, slowly, casually, a soft but jaunty whistle on his lips. He’s meandering vaguely in the direction of Snowcloak, the strongholds lights glittering in the distance on such a clear night, though he expects to be stopped long before he gets anywhere close.
What's the drive in being alive if you don't know where you are?
What's the fun in getting drunk if you can’t take it too far?
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
Nate doesn't walk alone, but then that probably isn't too much of a surprise. When Neron appears walking instep with his fellow Ascended, it's with a fanged smile and his hands tucked in the pockets of his dark coat. He's still bandaged beneath his dark clothes, still walking somewhat gingerly, but it isn't anything he can't handle. Glancing around as if confirming they are alone out in the snows, he finally gives all of his attention over to Nate.

"Evening," he greets softly. "Back so soon?" They are pleasantries for the sake of it, and they both know it, so Neron thinks little of cutting to the point. "Who will I be causing trouble for?" he inquires, assuming it to be at least one of those they chased out of Halo. But who knows? Neron might be surprised.
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

The whistle stops as Nate notices his fellow ascended appear beside him, his head tipping in response to the greeting. "I just can't stay away from a pretty face." Nate chuckles, glancing around the mountains as well before turning to Neron, taking in his careful gait and pausing in the snow. They're alone out here, it isn't as if they need to keep moving.

"The Sword." Nate says simply, knowing that any plan they make will not be half as simple. "I mean... the others would be wonderful as well," his mind drifts to a certain smug, self-righteous reindeer, "but I don't hate them quite as much. And I think you have reason to feel the same."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
"Now that can't be true, else you'd have never left your beau wherever he's at," Neron drawls, drawing to a stop and giving a nod of gratitude to Nate for halting them. The Sword shouldn't be surprising to him, but he does raise his eyebrows at his brother's lofty aspirations. "He did almost incinerate me the last time I got close to him," he points out, as if Nate might have forgotten.

"Then again, I suppose that means I have an equal stake in causing him trouble." Among other things. Nate is correct in that Neron feels the same, though his reasons could be considered a mix of personal and professional (but mostly personal). "They aren't in Halo any more, which could be an issue. I'm not keen on leaving this place to be attacked again. What did you have in mind?"
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Talk of fire makes Nate wince, makes his hands antsy, a bright gaze looking the Hailstorm up and down again, as if he could simply see all the injuries Neron had been left with. "I'm aware." Nate says with all the tact he can manage. He had lost months in his own head after losing his eye, and that wasn't even comparable to nearly dying. "But isn't it better to-" Whatever argument had been on his lips dies, a sharp grin rising up from the ashes instead. "That's the spirit!" A hand claps on Neron's shoulder, squeezing just hard enough to be felt.

"There's only so many places to run to. And I imagine, if we can find at least one of them, we won't be far from the others." That was how these things went, wasn't it? Retreat, regroup, work together. "I'm not too eager to get too close either, and I think the... quieter we are about this the better. So... something underhanded. I can handle the means myself, but uh," he rubs his nose, looks off to the side, "subtlety ain't exactly my specialty." It was why he'd come to talk to Neron.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
That is the spirit, and Neron offers a sly, cool sort of smile in response to the offered squeeze to his shoulder. He is all quiet composure to Nate's frenetic energy, and it's something that he finds complements them rather than rubs the wrong way. "Mm, that's what I would assume as well. Do you think that the Sword is going to be the most obvious to find, then?" he wonders. Power does have a habit of speaking for itself, so Neron can certainly understand that train of thought.

Hearing out the other man, Neron gives a slow nod of agreement. "Well, a family has a multitude of different talents. No reason why we shouldn't help each other out," he says with a fanged grin. "I can handle any of your underhanded and subtle schemes, but only as long as someone can remain here to guard the portal, and to protect Halo from anyone trying to sneak in the back door."
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

You think a near seven foot tall brute with anger issues is going to be hard to find?” The particular hilarity of Nate being the one to say that seems to be lost on him, the words shared with a bored, dry tone. Obvious.

Nates tongue is caught between his teeth, frozen in the bright grin he levels at Neron. It would almost be a childish gesture, if not for the context of their conversation. The hand on Neron’s shoulder drags up along his neck to cup his jaw, Nate staring into the hybrids eyes. “You know I appreciate the help though, don’t you?” He maintains the unblinking, silent stare for a touch longer than is comfortable before leaning back.

I’ll watch the portal for you.” The offer comes without thought, Nate single-mindedly focused on putting this into action as quickly and as smoothly as possible. “Speaking of the back door tough, maybe you can suggest closing it off for good to the Warden?” His hand drops away with the new thought, settling limply at his side. “Anyone who needs to get into the climb can take the portal, right?
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron
the wind breathes lonely
longing to be seen
"Anyone can be hard to find when they have the benefit of an invisibility cloak," Neron points out with a crinkle of his nose. He had been on the receiving end of said cloak when he'd been making haste towards the Fangs, and the fact that it could cover a whole unicorn as well was worrying to say the least. The Launceleyn holds the other man's gaze as his hand clasps his jaw, and though it's definitely uncomfortable, there's something about it (insane) that almost feels like home.

"I know," he says, smirking. And at the news that Nate will be there to watch the portal? It seals the deal entirely, and Neron relaxes further. "Then just let me know what you want done, and I'll do whatever I can," he murmurs, nodding to him. As for the back door? "I'll mention it to her, though I don't know if she would want to seal Halo off completely. Maybe we can station guards at the entrance, though?"
sometimes the soul
has days like these
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Truth be told, Nate had forgotten about the invisibility cloak, a realization lined in the sudden pinch of his face, the scar splitting his features tugging at them uncomfortably. “Its so hard to remember he’s a coward on top of everything else.” He complains under his breath. It was fine, it would be fine, another problem to be solved. He’d figure it out.

Letting out a breath, Nate smiled, more pleased with Neron’s involvement than he had words for. “Something subtle. And awful. There’s uh,” that hands lifts again, rubbing at his face, “there’s no shortage of options.” Not in Caido. “Let me do some research.

Backdoors work both ways.” He points out. Unless there’s a way to seal it in one direction, it’s as much a hindrance as it is a safety measure. “Thought it was worth mentioning.” Glancing around, Nate leans in to gather Neron in a tight, one armed hug, stepping back again quickly. “I’ll send a letter, alright? We’ll talk soon.”  And with that, he’s off, heading back towards the portal with a spring in his step that speaks of mischief and not murder.

Fin~