you and me all of the people
Morgan
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The Citadel seems much quieter now - and whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing, the General doesn’t know. And she doesn’t know if what they did was an overall good idea or not. Strategically, yes, she’s sure they couldn’t lose Halo. Not with Mageglass there, and Gods know what else.

But what is a leader without people?

Anyway, it’s not really her problem anymore, she’s just a tool and weapon and happy to put her skills to use. Silent on the carpet leading to the office, she nevertheless clocks the furtive looks from the guards. Friend? Foe? Hard to tell these days, isn’t it? Rapping sharply on the frame of the Warden’s office door, Wessex pauses for a moment before coming in. “Morgan?” she calls. “It’s Wessex.”

The General thinks they’re a little beyond titles and such now, though she’d always show the Glacier respect in front of her people.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Morgan
Snakes are biting at my heels
The worries that refuse to let us go
Her office was no longer the sanctuary it had once been, no longer the space for her to consider and work for her people; she had been attacked here, and now she knew that her 'predecessors' had sat at this very desk plotting for their zealous Gods. It felt anxious, strange, to be here again so soon; as if the foundations that had once been were now cracked and feeble.

Still, there was work to be done, and she had to do it. Morgan buckled down, organising, planning, writing - when there was knock on the door, it had been a couple of hours and she was glad for the break. "Enter."

As Wessex came in, she would gesture to a chair before her. "Wessex. Thank you for your assistance last week." Morgan smiled, as serious and weak a smile as the situation called for, and watched the Ascended carefully.
I've been kicking them away
Been hoping not to let them take control
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The General doesn’t know how the Glacier looked behind her desk prior to all this; she’d never encountered the Warden in the midst of paperwork and minutiae. Their run-ins had always consisted of doing things, so it seems a little strange to see her here, now, perhaps as strange as it had been when the Abandoned had been in the Town Hall. If she notices something different about Morgan, Wessex refrains from commenting, entering silently and finding the offered seat.

And of course, the General waves away the thanks with a flick of her hand and a shake of her head. “It was nothing. A win-win situation, and plus, I owed you one.” She takes her debts very seriously, and that statement is quite serious. She'd have come, even if it wasn't a win-win situation.

Wessex crosses her legs and leans back, clasping her hands in front of her. “How are you doing?” she asks - and wondering if Morgan is anything like she is, where very few people ask her that question.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Morgan
Morgan smiled faintly at Wessex's words; nothing about the way things had worked out felt like a 'win-win' to her, but the optimism was nice to hear. As the Ascended came to sit before her, she pushed the papers aside and leaned forward on the desk to hear her with her full attention.

"Honestly? Poorly." A bitter laugh came to her lips and she busied her hands with tying her hair back, raking her fingers through the tangled curls first. "We won the battle, but I suspect the war has just begun. I am back in my office, though the people outside are not won over by me, no matter how blatant the situation seems to me. It's as if they want to follow those that would willingly kill a whole people based over God's opinions." Morgan shook her head. "This is why I have never bothered with the Gods."

Hair back, she tapped on the desk. "I may yet have to leave very soon, if it turns out the people here do not want me to lead. Then what will happen? I love this place. I have poured my blood, my soul into it...but if I am no longer the leader to represent them, it's only fair I step down. I know Neron will come with me, but I don't know where I will go or what I will do."

That was perhaps quite a lot of answer to Wessex's simple question, but it was the truth.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
It isn’t entirely surprising; Wessex has been in her shoes before and is able to sit there and listen with a sympathetic ear. All the while, the gears in her mind are turning, the necessities of the future making machiavellian maneuvers under the Warden’s honor. Her lips purse in empathy, and perhaps regret that she can’t just be a friend to Morgan right now.

“I see…” the General begins. “Will you take some advice? Or some things to think about before you make your decision? I know you’re more than capable, and honorable and just, but from an outside perspective…” shrugging, the Wraith is not unkind in her offer, more firm and gentle than anything else. She smoothes the edge of her shirt idly.

“There may be a way to keep Halo neutral and you as Warden. That - is still your goal, right?” They just have to figure it out in a way that works for the Glacier.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
"I will take any advice you have to give. I'm never too proud for that." Morgan said with a smile, sitting up and meeting Wessex's eyes. It was true; she always valued other's viewpoints, even if they ended up being unhelpful. Wessex had been a ruler in her own right and was a strong warrior. Morgan respected her and what she had to say (and was also simply curious about the Ascended woman's opinion of her situation.)

As for neutrality...she nodded. "Ideally. I know it is a mad dream to some, but I think it can be possible. Why should we be at each others necks? The Gods can have this fight for years and not suffer, but mortals will die and hurt over it. I want the Citadel to be a place for those willing to find a common ground." Maybe it was her Abandoned nature, but Morgan had never understood letting the Gods decide so much of ones life and biases.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Nodding in agreement, Wessex wants to believe that Morgan can keep Halo neutral, for others as well as for her own, purely selfish reasons. “You aren’t the only one who wants neutrality. I’ve heard from many over the past year that they don’t want war, that they don’t want to fight, that they don’t want to choose. Not wanting to do these things won’t stop the war, but - what if you make every effort to make Halo into a safe place for those people for when the inevitable comes?” Beginning to shake her head slightly, Wessex can already see a flaw in her idea, but perhaps the seed of brilliance is there.

“Aurelia, in Torchline, might be a good person to reach out to. She’s told me that she only wants to protect. Frey and Rae are the most neutral of the Gods, if you need to do a quest. Eirachi is always there, and Tanau, too.” And the Voice, of course, but that probably goes without saying. Pausing for a moment, the General turns back to the events of the past few weeks - the coup - and the reclamation.

“And your people have to know the dirty details. The threats to remove you by force and have you exiled, like a criminal. Why you used the dragon shift - a show of force to prevent bloodshed. Things like that. Remind them how much you’ve done for Halo already.” By now, Wessex is leaning forward too, her encouragement carrying her beyond her chair. “That is, if you haven’t already done some of those things.”

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
Morgan listened to what Wessex had to say with a patient, interested expression; only her finger occasionally tapping on the wooden top of the desk betrayed the nervous energy that still ran through her over the last few days. "That is what I would want the Citadel to be. I know there will be others that wish to pull it either way, but...I want to believe, at least for the moment, that we can have some form of peace here. The war need not engulf all of Caido." That, and there was some part of her that enjoyed the idea of denying the Gods their chaos and the mortal death it would cause.

Writing down the name Aurelia, she nodded. Frey had been the God to assist Halo thus far, and they had not asked for any anti-Ascended action.

She laughed at the idea she might keep any of what the invaders had done from her people. "Believe me, I told them right away. It didn't seem to matter, for those that dislike the Ascended. They see my mere association with an Ascended man as confirmation that I'm giving the Citadel to the Voice tomorrow. Unfortunately, I believe I can only convince them by time and a lot of effort."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
She’s not surprised that Morgan had done so, but perhaps much had been lost in the emotions of the moment. “As long as the usurpers think they’re the injured party, I doubt you’ll be safe from another invasion. The old god’s followers are turning out to be quite the fanatics.” Wrinkling her nose in general disgust at the lot of ‘em, Wessex hums to herself thoughtfully.

“Well. Is there anything that would help you right now? I could see if any Grounders would be up for moving here, try and… pad the voting numbers. Or act as some kind of deterrent?” Edy immediately comes to mind, despite her destructive habits and childish tendencies. Who knows, maybe being near Neron would be better than being idle in the Grounds.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
"Quite. I have tried to make the point that they sought to usurp a democratically elected leader - all I did was reverse that. If the people choose to vote me away, so be it, but...I cannot let the processes of my country be so easily tossed away by fanatics." Morgan shook her head, her mouth a determined thin line. Let them try again, and again; until her last breath, she would try to keep the Citadel from those that would abuse it's people for their own Godly motivations.

She shook her head as for 'padding the numbers'. "Thank you, but no. I want my people's true answer. I cannot serve them unless I am willing to face who they are. However, if you wished to convince some Grounders to stay in Halo to help us defend and investigate those that organised the coup..." Morgan tilted her head. "That I would appreciate."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Wessex almost wishes she were surprised by Morgan’s refusal, and some part of her wants to press further, but she fights the immediate protests down to a simple, white-knuckled and polite, “Principles and honor are great until you focus on them instead of the bigger picture. They do set you apart from everyone else in this stupid rat race. But they’re also a weakness if you lose because you do the right thing when everyone else is playing dirty.” Looking down at her hands, she relaxes them and inhales needlessly.

“Food for future thought, perhaps. I don’t mean it as a criticism of you - more about the way everything else is being done.” Though that, too, is not entirely true.

“I’ll see what I can do about having someone stay here as an extra bit of defense.” Mentally, she adds a note to herself to speak with Neron about that. And maybe Kiada, too. A way to communicate between Halo and the Grounds more easily wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
She knew that was true; Morgan's principles had cost her time and time again, yet she found she couldn't let go of them. She wanted to believe in a world that rewarded good intention and honour, not one that prevailed through trickery and cowardice. "...I'm aware. I think I need to have my eyes open to the alliances of those around me. I thought Deimos was a fantastic General and that he understood and agreed with my values for the Citadel. ...I was mistaken." That loss had stung.

As for extra defence, she nodded thankfully. "I have the guards, who I believe are still mostly loyal to me. I am sure, if the word spreads that Halo is for neutrality, others may wish to join and defend that ideal." Perhaps it would be prudent to put out some kind of notice, make the position known so they could draw those towards it who would want peace.

"Thank you, though. I appreciate your help. I hope that one day...we plan under less dire circumstances." After the war, if there was an 'after'.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“He might have been a fantastic General,” Wessex concedes. “Under different circumstances, in his original world.” But he’d made mistakes here, burned bridges he needed. Done things the wrong way. She shrugs. “I had someone in my council betray me too, I think. I don’t even actually know, they just - disappeared to the Greatwood.” Which, as Morgan might know, is the home of some serious anti-Ascended sentiment.

Wessex rises, knowing the signs of a conversation coming to an end amongst two less-than-talkative people. “Me too. And if the worst happens - please just try to get out. You’re always welcome in the Grounds.” Turning to leave after a lingering, almost sad smile, the Wraith already knows where she’s headed next.

The Wraith
the bright
the thing in the night
Wessex

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
"Yes. And I suppose that he still might be...just not for my Citadel." It was a foolish thing to falsely judge ones enemies; Morgan knew she could not discount the ex-General, more now than ever. That Wessex was apparently unawares of whether she had been betrayed or not caused a raised eyebrow, but it was a matter Morgan would inquire after later. She was too busy reeling from her own upsets.

As for getting out in the event of a crisis...she nodded, but Morgan knew if her people were actually in danger she'd never be the first to leave. She'd only left before in their interests and did not intend to abandon the Citadel again. Still, there was no need to worry Wessex with that. "Thank you. Good luck."

FIN