hidden in the sun
Phoebe!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
I'll leave my love hidden in the sun
The times when she actually returned to Stormbreak had become few and far in between. Though Seren long had tried to think of the big city as her home, the feeling never quite managed to take root. Her relations to the people here were loose and fleeting at best, and the training with the Dragoons gradually became more of a chore than a pleasure.

When her duties for the day were done, the young demi-goddess slipped away from the Nest and headed out into the city. She was looking for someone, but with only a name to go on, and no face or much else to guide her it was a haphazard search at best.

By the time she found her way into the seedier parts of the city, the sun was already going down. As shadows lengthened and the warmth of the day fled in favor of a damp chill, the glowing lights in doors and windows became all the more inviting. Raucous laughter from men and women tangled up in revelries became more pronounced the deeper she went among the Silk Houses, but Seren couldn't quite manage to feel at ease here.

Turning a corner, she found herself standing at a crossroads full of people bustling back and forth, quite lost and with no idea where to go. Her companion was fast asleep back at the Nest - it had been a while since the girl felt this lonely. A gang of young men issued shrill catcalls and rude comments about her as they sauntered past; it made Seren retreat into the relative shelter of a doorway, thouroughly regretting every decision she'd ever made today.
For when the darkness comes
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
She has a sunflower soul
with rock 'n' roll eyes
"Keep your mouths shut unless you're paying someone to listen to you, cheapskates! It's obvious she doesn't work around here, now git!" a cross female voice cut through the crowd of young men. Since running a brothel, Phoebe had learned to be quite direct with such fellows - though the snarling pink dragon at her side surely gave additional weight to her words. With a huff, the Nightingale - who had been on her way home after tending to a few working girls at one of the brothels - changed her course to approach the young woman in the doorway.

"Come now, no reason to hide. Can't show any apprehension in front of fellows like that." she said with a warm smile, offering her a hand. Now that she was closer though, something about the young woman felt strangely familiar. The blonde tilted her head, trying to place the familiar features she saw with people she knew. "Do I know you?"
Curious thoughts
And a heart of surprise
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The intervention was very welcome. The youths scattered when faced with this self-assured woman and her dragon, and Seren greeted her with a shy but grateful smile.
"Thank you," she said as she accepted the hand, her squeeze somewhere between a polite handshake and something rather desperate - she really didn't want this woman to disappear right away. "I'm not... used to being out in these parts. Or around men," she added, blushing and sheepish.

Looking more closely at the woman, Seren found her close to her own age. Golden as she herself was dark, lush and secure and mature where she herself was still finding her feet, leggy like a foal and very aware of her tangled curls, sorrow-lined fingernails and all the various bruises and scrapes from Dragoon-training.
"I... don't know," she said, more honest than tactful, and cocked her head aside to look at the woman again. "I'm Seren Taliesin... I don't think I know your face, at least... Sorry." Maybe she ought to know? If so, the starchild would feel terrible.
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
She has a sunflower soul
with rock 'n' roll eyes
Phoebe smiled warmly as she squeezed the young woman's hand back. A small assurance that she wasn't going anywhere for the time being. "Well, I might suggest you start getting comfortable. They make up half the human population after all!" she said with a light laugh. "Come on then, let's get you back wherever it is you belong." she said, pulling slightly on her hand to lead towards the plaza. Pim would flank her otherside, snarling at any who dared come too close.

Seren Taliesin... The name was so unexpected that the Nightingale near tripped over her own feet. "Taliesin??" she repeated, honeyed eyes wide. But the shock was quickly replaced with a wide grin. "Your Ronin and Safrin's child! Your father is a very good friend of mine. You got his best features it would seem." she said with a light laugh. Now that she knew it was clear she was Ronin's child by her features.

"I'm Phoebe Steadman. Both Ronin and Remi are like my family."
Curious thoughts
And a heart of surprise
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
The girl's smile was rueful and a little embarrassed. She followed when tugged along, casting grateful glances down at the beautifully rose-colored little dragon. "I should," she agreed, "but it's not that easy. People keep telling me to be careful, so I never quite know who to trust..." Which was painful and difficult for someone with such a penchant for placing trust in everyone she met.

When the blonde woman stumbled, Seren automatically braced her through their joined hands and turned to see what was wrong. The look of recognition was far from unexpected, though the smile was a bit of a surprise. Many knew who her parents were, though far from all reacted with such obvious delight.

The sentiment was shared when Phoebe revealed her own name. Seren brightened visibly, both with delight and surprise.
"Oh! Stars, I'm in luck today, then. I was actually looking for you," she laughed, not without relief. "I didn't know you were close to my parents though. As usual, they've forgotten to mention important details."

Vibrantly blue eyes took in the woman all over again, searching the warm brown eyes and pretty face. So this was Phoebe. Harper's Phoebe, Sunjata's former wife, Frey's demigod. Now, Ronin and Remi's friend, too. A woman of many connections, though why she remained so peripheral Seren couldn't say.

"It's really nice to meet you," she determined, and squeezed the hand in hers with renewed warmth.
SEREN
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
She has a sunflower soul
with rock 'n' roll eyes
'Being careful and being comfortable aren't mutually exclusive." she said with a small grin. "Nor is shrinking back in a doorframe necessarily careful." What more could someone with poor intentions want than a target who didn't seem to have the gall to put up a fight? Maybe she didn't, but the key was not appearing that way!

The Nightingale grinned, glad the revelation wasn't one to put the girl off. With all that Remi and Ronin got involved in, there was always the possibility that Seren might not be too fond of their friends. "Frey had taken me away for two seasons, and with the way people seem to come and go from Caido in an instant, they might've thought it best not to bring up someone who might be gone for good. But yes, the three of us were among the very first Outlanders brought to Caido, within the barrier that used to surround the Hollowed Grounds." she explained.

"It is good to meet you as well, Seren. Now...what is it you were seeking me out for?" she asked, cocking her head to the side.
Curious thoughts
And a heart of surprise
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"You're right," the girl admitted quietly. "I still don't know how to do either, though. This - " she gestured to the nightlife going on around them " - is rather far from my comfort zone." But she had ventured in anyway, brave and foolish (or simply naive) in her pursuit of something important.

And it paid off, though perhaps not in the way Seren had expected. Content with the explanation as to how Phoebe knew her fathers, the starchild gave her a faint and somewhat rueful smile.
"Not a pleasant topic, I'm afraid. I wanted to ask for your opinion on something that is occurring here in Stormbreak. As Frey's demigod."

Looking about to ensure that no one was within earshot, Seren still lowered her voice, despite the irate urge to shout the subject from the rooftops. "Gideon, the Priest of the Order, informed me a while back that there is a practice to identify Abandoned children while still within their mother's belly. And that if the fetus is deemed to possess the spark of magic, it will be allowed to be born within the city... so that it dies. And then discarded outside the walls, without even a proper funeral."

Seren tried very hard to relay this in a calm and neutral way, but the distaste and outrage she felt bled through in the tone of her voice all the same. Eying Phoebe from the side, she tried to gague the woman's reaction to this; was it something she was aware of already?

"He seemed to be under the impression that this treatment of newborn children was in accordance with the Old Gods will. In your opinion... is this something Frey would sanction?"

Somewhere beneath towering cliffs and the high walls, was there a mountain of marble dolls piled up? Discarded, forgotten... judged and executed before ever knowing the meaning of the word sin?
SEREN
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
She has a sunflower soul
with rock 'n' roll eyes
Phoebe listened to Seren, patient and attentive. The Nightingale's brows furrowed, radiant smile falling to a frown as Safrin's daughter spun her tale. She had heard of no such practice thus far, and in truth in made her blood boil and stomach churn - such a savage practice within such an advanced city was mind boggling! Yet her expression remained neutrally displeased - no outrage, but certainly not pleased with what was said.

The demigoddess took a moment to contemplate her words, gaze falling to the ground. "What Frey does and does not sanction is rarely so straightforward as you would like it." she said with a heavy sigh, honeyed eyes finally rising to meet Seren's. "It is not unheard of for mothers in the natural world to leave their children to die for various reasons. They are too small and too needy, they were born with some deficit that won't allow them to survive, the mother is too stressed to care for them all... Why should people not exhibit the same behaviors?"

Pausing for a moment to allow the point to sink in, Phoebe added, "However, given the impact this war will have on the population, it is entirely possible that they would not be in favor of the practice at this time." The world needed children to be born, magic-possessing or otherwise.
Curious thoughts
And a heart of surprise