Personal Quest unicorn wranglers
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart


Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,057
MP: 395
#1
Aurelia

It's well into the day, well into the evening by the time everyone's arrived. Aurelia and Raza are already present, having defending the horses from a group of attacking vampire gourds hours earlier. But that is neither here nor there, and the trusty steeds have since been saddled, gear has been prepared, and Aurelia waits for the last person to arrive before she'll begin.

She fastens the clasp of her cloak around her neck, checks her saddle for rope and her bow. Beyond herself, she also ensures that everyone else is situated. When everything is to her satisfaction, she climbs up into the seat and glances about at the group that's gathered. They're a ragtag clusterfuck of misfits, to be sure. One should expect nothing less and nothing more from Torchline. But they're her misfits for the entirety of this mission, and as well.. they're all familiar faces. These are her people.

Reigning in her horse, which stamps a hoof anxiously in protest, she's quick to get the show into motion. "Alright everyone! Remember- we need to bring the herd back to Torchline safe and sound. Got it? Our job is to find 'em, keep 'em together, and keep 'em out of harm's way while we're at it. I don't wanna lose a single one of these unicorns," the words come out like orders, simultaneously short and curt, sweet and simple. "I don't want to lose any of you, either, so if you need help - speak up." Her gaze flashes and her lips form a hard, fast line. No exceptions to that rule.

So long as there were no protests or questions, they could begin. "We've got a long journey ahead of us, so let's get to it! I scouted the area earlier, tracked a large herd spreading out in this direction-" she lifts one arm to point northwest, "I want you three-" she gestures toward Adam, Harper, and Theo "-to move up along the river. The rest of us will head in around the other side of these hills. Hopefully..." her voice quiets and she offers a determined half-smile, "we'll catch the five we need." Easy enough, right? "Use the ropes I gave you, we don't want them running off to rejoin the herd."

And who would have thought they'd all be playing the part of cowboys on Safrin's behalf? With one last order for everyone to move out, Aurelia kicks her own horse into motion and heads off with her riders.

Aurelia's group will eventually find a part of the herd she was tracking, grazing and resting in a large meadow. Aurelia signals for Raza and Ray to stop as she does. There are three unicorns spread in a semi-circle. A mare appears to be standing guard at the edge, though she occasionally ducks her head to graze. "I can handle that one, if you two think you can close in on the sides," she states, nodding towards the sentry horse for herself, "I'll wait for you both to get in position, and we'll all move in together."

Harper's group will run across three younger unicorns by the stream, huddling close together. They don't appear to be on-guard, and haven't yet noticed the approaching riders as they stoop to drink the fresh water and splash about playfully. It's up to the boys how they'd like to approach and catch the unicorns.



This is the first part of the PQ to bring a herd of unicorns back to Torchline! thisissoexciting Let's make sure to prioritize this as best we can, since the PQ will have to split as we journey back to Torchline through the Feverlands and the Oerwoud! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH

So, what I need is for you guys to describe how your character/group will go about corralling/catching the unicorns and leave it to me to roll for outcomes! The better teamwork, the better chances! (We only need 5 unicorns for the RQ)

you can use this from Haulani's notice board for context!



Group 1: 3 unicorns grazing in a meadow. Aurelia has instructed Raza and Ray to do a pincer maneuver! Or do your own thing.

Aurelia
Ray
Raza

Group 2: 3 unicorns drinking/playing at the stream. Try catching them together or each do your own thing.

Harper
Theo
Adam
What is clear is what is gold
You're only human after all
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 22 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Posts: 348
MP: 580
#2
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray saddles up with ease, eager to get started. The Attuned had yet to meet a wild unicorn but this trip was certainly going to give her the chance. Listening to Aurelia's directions, the herbalist nods in satisfaction. She was glad that safety was being stressed. Although she had brought emergency kits, it'd be better if no one was injured in the first place. Especially not when dealing with wild animals that had practical swords on their heads.

Coming to the meadow, Ray nods at the idea. A pincer maneuver seems like their best bet. Especially when one of the unicorns is one watch. Coming back around the perimeter of the herd, Ray gets into position on the left and nods at Raza. As son as she's in position as well, Ray will swoop in activate the plan.


Ray agrees to the pincer maneuver and gets into position on the left. Once Raza is in position on the right, she'll start the maneuver.
They have not
forgotten this
Theo "Launceleyn" Caldwell
Grifter

Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
Posts: 131
MP: 1235
#3


A recent theft hadn't gone great, giving Theo an incentive to get out of town for a while, and now here he was, staring at a trio of young unicorns and trying to figure out how to catch them. He didn't exactly have a lot of experience with animals, or lassos for that matter, and he wasn't sure his telekinesis would help here -- he doubted it could throw a rope any more accurately than he could. And while he could use an illusion to startle and herd the unicorns, it was probably better to try to rope them before they started moving.

"Should we just throw all our ropes at once?" Theo whispered to Harper and Adam. "They'll probably start running once they realize we're here. I can take the one on the left."

He readied his lasso. If the others agreed, he'd try to throw it around the leftmost unicorn's neck in unison with the others. But if either Adam or Harper came up with a different plan, he'd stand down.



For lack of a better idea, Theo suggests that the guys try to lasso the unicorns before the animals notice them. If Harper and Adam agree, he'll try to lasso the leftmost unicorn; if not, he'll wait to hear what their plan is.

Theo


"Poker" by ND Strupler is licensed with CC BY 2.0.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 32 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
Posts: 435
MP: 1350
#4
this lighthouse I built to guide my feet has burned out and I forgot where I'm going
It all just fuckin’ hurts, and Raza’s swearin’ to herself that if given the option between horses and the Ark again, she’ll choose the Ark any day. The horse dances beneath her, tuning into its rider’s inexperience and unease - not trying to throw her off, but far more mischievous than she’d been led to believe when choosing a mount.

Someone, somewhere is having a good laugh at the barkeep. And when she finds out who it is, she’s gonna water down the fuck out of their next couple of drinks. Still, she’s tryin’ her best to seem capable and competent. She nods at Aurelia’s instructions and then watches Ray to see if they’re on the same page. Liftin’ her hand to signal that she’s ready, Raza drops it and as Ray an’ her horse start to move, Raza squeezes her heels into her ride’s sides and sends a prayer to Frey that she doesn’t fall off.

Attempting to direct the horse into an actual pincer movement, Raza can at least say that she ain’t afraid’a failure.
RAZA
Speaks with a non-rhotic accent.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 31 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Ryan Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,001
MP: 229
#5
Adam

You took notes on what you had to do
To get the piece of the pie that belonged to you
Unicorns. Fucking unicorns. Had you told Adam prior to coming to Caido he'd be going on a mission to rescue some unicorns, he'd have told you to fuck off and lay off the fantasy cocaine.

But the last few years had been strange enough that indeed, here he was, going to get some unicorns. This mission thankfully began when the sun was down, so he was able to make the journey comfortably; Adam found he was quite excited. It had been a long while since he'd gotten to ride and while his skills were probably rusty, it had once been a point of pride for him that his horsemanship was miles above his other highwaymens.

All was reasonably uneventful until they were finally at the riverside, the three unicorns ahead. Adam heard Theo's suggestion and tilted his head from one side to the other. "Maybe, but maybe we'd be better off trying to calm 'em down and actually just get them comfortable with us. If we fuck this up, they're gonna bolt and not come back." Still, if both Harper and Theo wanted to throw ropes, he'd do it.

==

Adam suggests it might be better to try and greet the unicorns and calm them first, but if both Harper and Theo want to throw the ropes he will.
You've been waiting for this ever since you were young
Be careful not to choke on your tongue
Please note Adam has 5 large scars across his neck and chin.
Harper Quinn
Halenani Bouncer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
Posts: 574
MP: 1802
#6
Harper

Much like a golden retriever, Harper’s just happy to be here. He hasn’t ridden horses in some time, but it comes back easily enough, even if he had been inclined to pass at first. Wings suited him far more these days, but he’d conceded that eventually he’d need to be in the ground to help with the unicorns themselves.

Adam is the least familiar face in their little trio, but Theo is recognizable from when they’d chased off the giant chicken together. As the suggestions come, Harper swings his leg over the saddle, flexible and agile as he hops down to the ground and allows his mount to graze. “I agree with Adam. I have an elephant shift - slow moving, not a predatory animal. Maybe they’d let me closer like that, and one of you can ride on my back?” Glancing between them, Harper’s hands find his hips, rocking on his heels like an eager boy as he smiles.

For now, he wanders slowly closer, watching the unicorns out of the corner of his eye so as not to spook them by coming head on. Gauging how close they can get first. No sense in wasting any time.

- - -

Harper suggests using his elephant shift as a guide for the unicorns and slowly approaches sideways, gauging how close they can all get as humans.
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart


Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,057
MP: 395
#7
Aurelia

(Group 1)

Aurelia's group manage to get into their positions without being noticed. The horses' hoofbeats blend into the late day ambience of the fields, arousing little-to-no suspicion as they move slowly through the tall grasses.

With the advantage of their cohesive teamwork, they all three charge in - according to plan - as soon as they're in position.

And once they do, it's all a blur. Before the animals can get very far, the ropes are lassoed and they're caught. At this point, this seems like second nature to Raza and Ray. Their unicorns struggle against the binds but soon give in.

Aurelia runs into particular difficulty with her target, however. It pulls back against her horse, its nostrils flare, its hooves lash out. Though it's caught, it fights her - and because it's older, stronger, it fights harder than the other two unicorns. Even when the other two settle, it continues to thrash. She winds the rope around the horn of her saddle, where she can feel the fibers start to strain.

And, following her own advice, she barks out, "Might need some help over here!" before she starts trying to calm the unicorn with short phrases like, "S'alright! C'mon, girl..." though because of the tension, her voice is more of a grunt than a coo.


(Group 2)

Harper an Co. don't get off to as great a start as the others. Perhaps their indecision didn't work in their favor, or maybe it was just pure bad luck. Either way, the small herd notices Harper's approach almost immediately.

However, instead of bolting, the colts all seem to freeze. Their bodies go rigid and they stare directly at the trio like deer in the headlights (or some other.. caido-relevant expression). Hesitantly, the middle unicorn starts to approach the men, his nose out, muzzle wrinkling. Even slower, the other two follow him forward.



Group 1:

Ray and Raza do GREAT. Naturals, absolute naturals.
They'll need to help Aurelia with her unicorn so they can all go and meet up with the others.

Group 2:

Harper and Theo were seen right away and now the unicorns are approaching the three of them!
They'll need to capture the unicorns and/or try to earn their trust! (Anybody bring an apple?)
What is clear is what is gold
You're only human after all
Harper Quinn
Halenani Bouncer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
Posts: 574
MP: 1802
#8
Harper

Harper is careful to remain outwardly calm even as the unicorns take notice of him. Horses aren’t quite his wheelhouse as a circus kid, but they’d had them all the same, a pair of them for acrobats to do tricks on while riding in circles around the ring. He’s at least not totally helpless here.

“Hi there,” he coos gently, keeping his voice in soft undertone. He hadnt packed any fruit himself, his two Attuned shifts at total odds with each other in terms of food instincts, so he hopes the only other man that eats at all might have something stashed away. If not, however…

A nimble hand plucks a handful of long grasses, breaking the strands in the center to release the aroma, and he holds it at arms length but lower than his chest to remain an easy target to approach. Maybe they sense his Attuned side, the way Luxere are drawn to those with light magic? “They’ll probably still startle when we rope them, but keeping them calm now will be important, or they’ll set off the ones the others have caught.” And then they’d be back at square one. Harper hopes continuing to talk, soft and unhurried, will help adjust the colts to their voices as he edges forward incredibly slowly, more so allowing them to come to him.

- - -

Harper talks softly to the colts, and grabs some grass that he frays to spread the scent and holds it out below chest level. He talks to Adam and Theo, and while he edges forward a tiny bit mostly allows them to come to him.
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Theo "Launceleyn" Caldwell
Grifter

Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
Posts: 131
MP: 1235
#9


Shrugging, Theo lowered his lasso slightly. If the others didn't think an immediate capture attempt was the best idea, then he wouldn't make any such attempt. At least the unicorns hadn't bolted yet, despite spotting the men; things could definitely be going worse.

They could be going better, though. Theo didn't have an apple either, and he didn't know the first thing about taming animals. He decided to just stay still and quiet, hoping that he could at least keep from scaring the unicorns off, even if he couldn't actually contribute to capturing them. Still, quiet, and lasso at the ready. If the unicorns showed any signs of bolting, he'd try a throw; otherwise, he was going to leave the whole unicorn-whispering thing to Harper. (And Adam, if Adam decided to take a swing at it.)



Theo's just going to stay still and quiet to avoid startling the unicorns. But if any unicorn bolts, he's ready to throw a lasso at it.

Theo


"Poker" by ND Strupler is licensed with CC BY 2.0.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 22 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Posts: 348
MP: 580
#10
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray gently pulls her lassoed unicorn closer so that it falls in step with her horse. Then, slowly approaching Aurelia and her spirited one, she tries to help. She calls out to the unicorn in a soothing voice. The same tone she often uses with scared children when healing their wounds. Though she does throw in a bit of flattery because it's a unicorn.

"Shh beautiful one, it's ok. You're safe, you're herd is safe. No harm will come to you from us." Ray coos, stepping closer. If she gets in range, she'll lasso the unicorn with another rope to try and help Aurelia.

Ray does her best to flatter and soothe the unicorn with a tone she uses when healing children. If she successfully gets close enough, while still controlling her own unicorn, she'll throw a second lasso over the one Aurelia is struggling with.
They have not
forgotten this
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 31 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Ryan Offline
Change author:
Posts: 1,001
MP: 229
#11
Adam

You took notes on what you had to do
To get the piece of the pie that belonged to you
The group agreed to approach the unicorns quietly, but their arrival had still notified the creatures; Adam would have held his breath, if he had any to hold. Slowly, he slid off the back of the horse he was on and following Harper's lead, drew on his many years of horse husbandry experience and tried to approach the unicorns as well, trying to make sure he was far away enough from Harper that if they bolted, they might be able to block them all together.

"Hey, hey.." He mumbled softly out to the unicorn closest to him, holding out a slow hand. "C'mon, we're gonna take you somewhere nice and safe."

For all Adam knew, they could be taking these unicorns to make a sparkly stew with, but he wasn't above lying for a cause.

--
Adam goes forward to try and calm the unicorns with Harper.
You've been waiting for this ever since you were young
Be careful not to choke on your tongue
Please note Adam has 5 large scars across his neck and chin.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 32 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
Posts: 435
MP: 1350
#12
this lighthouse I built to guide my feet has burned out and I forgot where I'm going
She’s gotta trust that the beast between her legs (an’ no, she ain’t talkin’ about Jack) knows what its doing, because between the two of them, they manage to both corral a unicorn and Raza stays on. So. Ludo - or someone - must be watchin’ out for her. Either that, or her thighs are just that strong.

In fact, once their targets are subdued, Raza almost feels pity for ‘em. These wild things, who’ve lived all their lives outside of civilization, chased and roped. Their eyes send a pang’a sadness an’ regret through her, but she still dutifully turns back to Aurelia an’ tries not to make the situation any worse. The flyin’ hooves and horn make her keep her distance, cause too many folks in an area ain’ always a good thing, an’ maybe it’s best to prepare for the rope snapping.

---------------

Raza keeps her distance, but tries to position herself and her horse (+ uni friend) to where they could intercept the unicorn if Aurelia's rope snaps.
RAZA
Speaks with a non-rhotic accent.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)