Bright & Shiny Like A Mood Ring
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

From the Burrows to the Crust is not a long way to go, but it is nerve wracking, especially for a pie of ascended. Especially with Nate already so beat up. But it isn’t as if he ever really has reason to come to the Climb, and if he can get what he needs out of the way now, with Varus at his back, he won’t have to worry about it again.

Wary blue eyes swivel around, looking for any threat, and trying to keep an eye on his feet at the same time. The volcanic flats of the Climb didn't naturally lean towards creating pebbles. With a sigh, Nate turns back to look at Varus, fixing the collar of his coat while he did. “You know how the Voice does things better than me, yea? You think it’d count if I just smashed a rock and used those as pebbles?
Doesn't hurt enough Dot line dot on your skin
I'm denying on myself When you come knocking again
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
you were in the fallout and you lost some friends //
Gods the Climb was uncomfortable. If it weren’t the heat alone it was simply the amount of creatures running around that screamed danger, given the way the smoke trailed from their maws and the way they seemed uncaring of whether they were near or sometimes even in the lava. He shivers without real reasoning, drawing up and working his metal arm that almost seems like it might be trying to sizzle in this heat.

Idly, he wonders if he could cook an egg on it, when Nate pulls him out of his thoughts. “The Voice does a lot of things better than us, kid.” Varus offers with a rumbling laugh. “I mean, ya could. Or, we could just find some place where some of those rock dog things had a fight and see if they knocked anything loose.” Varus bounces a brow in Nate’s direction, thinking a bit of investigative work was probably easier than the prior suggestion.
VARUS
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

Rock dog things.” Nate repeats under his breath, wanting to mock Varus but realizing in the same moment that he has no better way to describe the creatures. And he knows exactly what the infuriating ascended is talking about, so obviously it works. With a petulant sigh, Nate steps off in a direction at random, the one that seemed to keep them on the sturdiest ground for longest, though in a place like this who knew how long solid ground would last?

This had better be worth it.” He sighs, eyes flicking towards Varus. “I’m uh... I’m sorry you got turned to stone.” Nate feels like he should say something about it, the situation strange enough that even he has trouble approaching it.
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
What?” He says, casting a playful grin Nate’s direction, a shrug of his metal shoulder, before he’s trekking onto find the spot where the rocks may have fallen or been knocked loose. He follows Nate, because of course he does, but everything has changed in the short amount of time he’s been back and he isn’t familiar with the Climb nearly at all. And besides, it seems like Nate has a good idea of where to go.

As for their attempts to find the relic and his impression of being a statue, Varus barks a laugh that ends in a hint of a sigh. “Eh we didn’t know. Was my dumbass that looked right at it, wasn’t it?” Here an elbow sneaks out to nudge at Nate’s side before he keeps walking in search of the stones. “Just glad ya got out too. We weren’t prepared.” Wessex maybe. Himself? Not at fucking all.
VARUS
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

It’s not wrong, but,” Nate shrugs, “It’s dumb.” A laugh huffs out him, the Demi-god less concerned that he maybe should be about stealth. It’s hard to shake off the adrenaline of the basilisk, and remember that even smaller threats are still threats. And the Climb is full of smaller threats.

Nate can’t stop the the rough quirk of his lips or the reluctant huff of amusement, too preoccupied with leaning away from Varus’ elbow. “There’s always next time. And we won’t need more than that.” He rolls his shoulders and flexes with two pairs of arms, forgetting his pledge to be as foul tempered as he could around Varus. Just to prove a point.

He doesn’t do it on purpose, but Nate starts to drift in the direction of a tunnel entrance, one that would, after a few dozen maddening twists and turns, emerge into the perfect slide into the Obsidian Cathedral. More important right now though is the fact that a cave mouth means shifting rocks, means pebbles.
Varus Callahan

Change author:
The laugh sparks a small smile to bloom on Varus’ face, a glance cast toward the demigod that is pleased as it is amused. “Yeah well I’m old and can’t remember their name.” He shrugs as if it makes all the difference in the world. It doesn’t, really, and so he moves to follow Nate with ease, letting the kid pick where he’d like to head next in search for the pebbles they need.

When Nate flexes, though, Varus does cut a sharp whistle out. “Nice.” He hums, inspecting the extra set of arms before they disappear again and before Varus knows it they’re nearing the Obsidian Cathedral. It’s a spot that Varus hasn’t been to before but he’s heard of, and his gaze adjusts easily with the dark within the magma made tunnels. “Oooh here we go.” He says in a sing song tone, stepping ahead of Nate toward the entrance of the cave mouth toward the Cathedral, crouching down against a wall that has a bunch of grooves in it. The metal hand drifts toward the ground, sifting through dust to find two pebbles but not much else.

He picks these up regardless, though, and casts his ocean gaze back toward Nate to see what he’s found.
VARUS
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

They're fucking... leone, or something.” He mumbles under his breath, the huff lines blown away by the wave of irritated joy that comes along with the praise. He hates that he’s grown soft enough to be affected like this, and just thanks his lucky sparks that he doesn’t flush.

The darkness of the caves removes that worry, Nate’s gaze flicking between the ground and the darkness ahead of them, paranoia and need battling for his attention. It isn’t until Varus actually crouches and grabs something off the floor that Nate actually manages to do use, his hand outstretched for the two stones. “It’s a start.” He mutters, worrying at the inside of his cheek before rolling his shoulders back and returning his gaze to the ground, spying another few black shards.

A soft, distant tapping echoes from further up the cave, between them and the exit. It’s nothing close yet, but it still has a shiver going down Nate’s spine. He steps deeper into the cave, casting his eyes back every few steps, and crouching to grab pebbles as he sees them. Trying to let a plan percolate while they move.
Varus Callahan

Change author:
He hears the whisper Nate utters, but truthfully none of it makes sense to him and its easier to pretend he hadn’t than to delve into the name of those creatures (Fyrhunds, the ones he’s thinking of). So instead, he focuses on the cavern they delve into, toward the Obsidian Cathedral that he finds the stones they need above the slick trek further into the underground system of the Climb.

The start, however, has Varus nodding and scooping up as much as he can, his gaze flickering to follow Nate as he finds a few more shards. But his gaze doesn’t linger as he draws up to try and get a better sound of the echoes that happen – slipping through the dark to stand nearer to Nate for some sort of comfort to them both. His voice is a whisper, but loud enough for Nate to hear. “Doesn’t sound like the rock dogs.” He leans forward a bit, trying to listen more. “Wyrms or birds, maybe?” His gaze darts back to Nate curiously, before he’s fully focusing on protecting Nate to get the stones he needs for his quest.
VARUS
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

At the very least, they've managed to find enough loose stones to fulfil his requirement by the time danger begins to creep towards them. 'Enough' meaning whatever's weighing down his pocket right now, as well as the last handful from Varus. It would have to do.

"Worms?" Nate repeats, sparing a glance towards Varus. "The uh... the drippy things?" He shakes his head, leaning towards the other ascended without thinking too much about it. "My money's on the birds." And no sooner do the quiet words leave him than there are whispers creeping towards them down the tunnels, a hiss of sound with words occasionally breaching the buzz. Meat. Tear. Flesh. Hungry. Hungry. Hungry.

It's a haunting refrain to try and steel against, but Nate tightens his jaw, reaching out to drag Varus into a mostly hidden alcove. "Let them pass." He hisses. "We'll go when they leave."
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Yeah. Lava wyrms.” Varus offers, casting a glance back at Nate the same time the demigod’s gaze meets his own oceanic ones. Birds, however, certainly have a bit more proof as the seconds span on – as soon as the whisper fades in the caverns, the sound of the birds approaching gets closer – words made out. Luckily for Varus, he’s got an arm made completely of metal. Good luck to those birds wanting to tear into a piece of that.

Still, he’s not aiming to get fucked up anywhere else, though, the ominous words growing louder and louder and he’s willingly tugged into the alcove with Nate, pressed against the shadows in the hopes that the birds might just leave.

Unfortunately, though, the birds seem to be scattered out – a few flitting by with those garbled words, crying and cawing out what they want. And eventually, it sputters out into the trinkling of just one or two with the sound of a third approaching, all the while Varus’ lips remain sealed – his gaze dancing between Nate and the crows.
VARUS
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Their luck holds out so long, it's almost stupid to expect it to keep going. Most of the murder passes them by, but there are stragglers, lingering in the glinting obsidian tunnel between them and the exit. Nate grit's his teeth, frustration and worry showing in the tight lines of his face. Do they wait for the creatures to pass, to catch up with their brethren? Do they try to run? It's a gamble, no matter what they do.

Nate waits until Varus' eyes are on him and tips his head out towards the tunnel, the trio of birds gathered, then makes a fist. He waits for the other man to nod, then starts a countdown, fingers lowering until they reach zero, and Nate rushes into action.

He's counting on surprise, and it works, for the most part. Two strong hands crackle into being, wrapping around the head and beak of one of the birds and dragging it down to the ground, a sickly crack accompanying the action. He doesn't have time to think about it though, doesn't even have time to wrinkle his nose, the second bird wrapped up in his actual arms, it's head wrenched back as he tries to stay clear of the razor beak and talons. The last one is left to Varus, Nate sure of his companions skill enough that he doesn't worry.
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Silence stretches on between the two Ascended, the only communication right now being with the way his gaze is caught by Nate and the little dip of Nate’s head. He understands what that means, and internally he quickly runs a scan to prepare himself, making sure his upgrades are in good working order – stretching out the metal arm as quietly as he can.

Which it works, given the way the birds don’t notice them. And when Nate slips out to make the strike, to surprise the remaining trio of birds, Varus focuses on a different bird. His hand raised, fingers pointed like a mock attempt at a gun (if only he knew what those were) and he shoots his laser finger upgrade out at the one bird that’s started to grow frantic.

Unfortunately for the Captain, the bird he’s picked is far too frightened right now with the way it dips this way and that in the tunnel, rushing at him with a sharp beak and sharp claws. The laser mostly misses, searing off a few flight feathers before the bird has latched onto his metal arm, the shrieking and screaming metal beneath its talons and beak protesting with every thrash.
VARUS
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Between the two of them, three birds are barely a problem at all, the first bird he'd dragged down stays deathly still, not that Nate gets the chance to look too long, the bird held in his arms recovering from its shock and flapping, trying to dislodge itself from his grip. Which... isn't actually a bad idea, so long as it happens on his terms. He releases it, and it shrieks a single cry of 'Meat!', the triumph in its beady eyes immediately snuffed out by the holographic arms grabbing it from behind and slamming it into the closest wall.

Nate works his jaw and runs a quick scan as he turns towards Varus, brows pinching together. "C'mon old man, I thought you could do better than this?" He taunts, holographic arms reaching out and holding the bird back and still so the ascended can get his licks in, whatever they might be. Laser's certainly aren't what Nate expects, but it's a conversation for later, as the sound of the rest of the murder drifts back up towards them.

Without hesitation, Nate grabs one last shard of rock and Varus' metal arm, dragging them back in the direction of the surface. It feels like the mad dash takes longer than the descent had, the haunting voices wavering closer and further, but finally they find their way to a burning sky again, heading to the portal without a word. Fuck the Climb, honestly.

End~